Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'm sending mine for servive to rob in Thailand.
    members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acc.htm

I have a service receipt from 96 for it, it may be overdue .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've got in contact with the seller and asked when it was serviced as they claim it was done recently. I found Robs site earlier so I've bookmarked for when I send mine for a service - assuming I don't send this one back.

I'm starting to wish I had held out and bid on the other one I was watching at the same time I won this one.

s-l1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

pm. wrote: »
    After selling almost all of my collection I went and bought this... I'm absolutely delighted with it
    One day Rodney, One day

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

20200220_084903.jpg
    Pulled this out of the box for the first time in about 3 years.....still running perfectly
    Bought it about 10 years ago, and think I've only replaced the battery once.

503345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

20200220_084903.jpg
    Pulled this out of the box for the first time in about 3 years.....still running perfectly
    Bought it about 10 years ago, and think I've only replaced the battery once.

Lucky. I've a similar watch and I replaced the battery after 3 years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

New arrival.

Seiko SARX055

Never had a titanium watch before. Lightness is rather strange.

SARX055.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ionised wrote: »
    New arrival.

Seiko SARX055

Never had a titanium watch before. Lightness is rather strange.

That is interesting.

You don't usually see titanium in a dress watch because it can be a very dull looking metal and its innate inertness makes it hard to plate or alloy in the application. It's even hard to polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

The brushed sections look very different to brushed stainless (darker maybe). Polished parts look very similar though

njburke wrote: »
    I'm sending mine for servive to rob in Thailand.
    members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acc.htm

I have a service receipt from 96 for it, it may be overdue .

So the ebay seller said they forgot to calibrate the watch after servicing it and asked me to send the watch back for them to fix.

I decided to give them the benefit of doubt and tried to post it. An Post flatly refused to accept the watch because it has a battery in it.

The post office told me that if it gets scanned at the airport and they detect the battery they would just destroy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »
    So the ebay seller said they forgot to calibrate the watch after servicing it and asked me to send the watch back for them to fix.

I decided to give them the benefit of doubt and tried to post it. An Post flatly refused to accept the watch because it has a battery in it.

The post office told me that if it gets scanned at the airport and they detect the battery they would just destroy it.

Post it without the battery?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll need to check if the ebay seller is okay with that.

If they don't have another Accutron battery, they won't be able to regulate it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's an adaptor doodah that covers a smaller modern battery which reduces(IIRC) the voltage so it can work in any Accutron(and very early quartz). I have a link to it somewhere, but can I find it... I'll keep digging.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm thinking of opening it up this weekend and trying to tinker with the regulator.

I really think it might need a service so if my tinkering fails, I'll send it away to Thailand minus a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Surely that can't be true. I've bought quartz watches before off the Internet and they've always been delivered through An Post.

They have a strange rule where incoming batteries are fine, but outgoing are not.

I didn't belive the woman at the post office but its on their website that they won't send items containing batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

They have a strange rule where incoming batteries are fine, but outgoing are not.

I didn't belive the woman at the post office but its on their website that they won't send items containing batteries.

Bizarre. That rule is illogical.

It's typical brainless bureaucracy. A loose watch battery poses absolutely no safety hazard, let alone one protected inside a watch.

Priced UPS yesterday and it was very expensive. I'll have a look around at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

New arrival :)

Stowa Flieger - 40 mm, hand wound movement ETA 2804-2.

503445.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A bit of an impulse purchase (yet again), but I have liked these for a while. It wears smaller than I expected, even if the photo makes it look like a saucer. The lugs seem to have a nice curve on them - not too sure if they're different to the other divers, because I know that's a big criticism.

It's a pretty obvious nod to the IWC Aquatimer 2000, but as Steinharts go, it's not a straight up homage. I owned that IWC before, and I really liked how the bezel and face were flush.

49566013507_7346f77e93_z.jpg

49565279418_681c598e60_z.jpg

Lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice! I had a WTB for that on TZ at one stage. Hard enough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Love the Stowa...if you ever selling let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Lovely, Eoin. Did it come on a bracelet too, or strap only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lovely, Eoin. Did it come on a bracelet too, or strap only?

My one is (non-OEM) strap only. I probably won't bother putting a bracelet on it and try out some NATOs, and maybe a sailcloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

15 second exposure of my Seiko Blumo

hAY7GYxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

^^ Pablo,

Beaut of a piece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's an adaptor doodah that covers a smaller modern battery which reduces(IIRC) the voltage so it can work in any Accutron(and very early quartz). I have a link to it somewhere, but can I find it... I'll keep digging.
    I found the site for that adaptor. Here ya go. It's originally for cameras but apparently works like a charm for older batter watches that take a battery that size.

The "Rolls Royce" solution to problem of the discontinued Mercuric Oxide MR44 and PX675. Our MR-44 Adapter has the outer dimensions of the PX675 mercury cell with a recess that takes the inexpensive and easily obtained silver oxide 392 cell. Buried within the MR-44 Adapter are micro electronics that drop the voltage from the 1.55 Volts put out by the silver oxide cell to the 1.35 Volts that your camera was designed for.

No adjustment or modification to your camera is required. The MR-44 Adapter does not require activation or a supply of air. The MR-44 Adapter and silver oxide 392 cell has a significantly longer battery life than the zinc air WeinCELL MRB675 batteries.

MR-44 Adapters are a one time purchase, and will last a lifetime. Simply replace the expired silver oxide 392 cell with a fresh one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement