Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Jofspring wrote: »
    I wonder did I just get a bad batch of dough or something. Did you find it hard to cut/eat? I found I had to chew for ages before I could swallow it and it was nearly impossible to cut with a pizza slicer.

Surely they are making their own dough. Haven't been there yet but will give it a go at some stage. Mamma Mia is as good a pizza as I've had outside Italy, ate it there and then in the restaurant though so can't comment on how it travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Tim76 wrote: »
    Surely they are making their own dough. Haven't been there yet but will give it a go at some stage. Mamma Mia is as good a pizza as I've had outside Italy, ate it there and then in the restaurant though so can't comment on how it travels.

Ya they are making their own dough alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Think I might try get it for Valentines, I’m sure she’d love that, very romantic and all.

Have to say i think the Locke burger have the perfect amount of “too much salt” or whatever seasoning it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Had Locke Burger tonight, the burger I thought wasn't as good as Coqbull. The tiger fries were incredible and the spicy wings were the best I've had in a long while.

Maybe I chose wrong, maybe I was expecting more because of the good reviews I'd seen, but the burger just fell flat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Where is doing take away dinners today? Aside from finnegans

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Where is doing take away dinners today? Aside from finnegans

Think pretty much every restaurant and hotel in Limerick are advertising valentine's dinners. Depends what your preference would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 waldo2k

Had this for the first time yesterday. Was very dissapointed to be honest. Had been looking forward to trying it all week.

The toppings were excellent and high quality but that was it, the pizza base was poor in my opinion. It was so chewy I struggled to slice it up when I got home. It felt more like a naan bread you get in Tesco. Was even tough to swallow. The garlic bread was just dough with a very slight taste of garlic.

Got the Nutella desert pizza also and it looked nothing like the pics. Small bit of Nutella and a few very thin slices of strawberries on top.

Mamma Mia far nicer if you ask me.

I was hoping for something similar to Dough Bros in Galway but it wasn't even close.

For the prices they are charging I will just go somewhere else in future.

Edit: also on a side note I bought myself a bag on Amazon to keep take away food hot. I live 15 minutes from town so needed something to keep it warm until I got home. Tried for the first time yesterday and did the job nicely.

That's unfortunate and a very detailed review. Did you re heat the pizza when you got home as instructed to on the box? The nature of a Neapolitan pizza is fresh and to be eaten as soon as it comes out of the oven. It will never travel like a domino's etc as it is not pumped with preservatives and additives to keep it crisp. I just throw mine in the oven for 2 minutes as instructed and thought it was incredible. Quality ingredients make all the difference, had it every weekend for the past three....must stop now. LOL

waldo2k wrote: »
    That's unfortunate and a very detailed review. Did you re heat the pizza when you got home as instructed to on the box? The nature of a Neapolitan pizza is fresh and to be eaten as soon as it comes out of the oven. It will never travel like a domino's etc as it is not pumped with preservatives and additives to keep it crisp. I just throw mine in the oven for 2 minutes as instructed and thought it was incredible. Quality ingredients make all the difference, had it every weekend for the past three....must stop now. LOL

No hadn't popped it in the oven because I had a bag which kept the pizza hot. Could be apart of the problem though, but in saying that I didn't have to do it with mamma Mia pizza. Will probably try again at some stage, maybe if there is an offer on or if I can eat in, in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Looking forward to ordering Volcano Wings this weekend, shame about 15 euro minimum delivery to Castletroy which means I usually go collect. Not the nicest part of town to be collecting food....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Kilboor wrote: »
    Looking forward to ordering Volcano Wings this weekend, shame about 15 euro minimum delivery to Castletroy which means I usually go collect. Not the nicest part of town to be collecting food....

No worse than anywhere else and usually parking outside or around the corner.

Good wings are worth it surely 😜

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    No worse than anywhere else and usually parking outside or around the corner.

Good wings are worth it surely ��

Usually late enough when I'm driving down there and a few dodgy characters hanging about, also never been a space outside.

Definitely worth it though, I'm addicted to the buffalo wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Usually late enough when I'm driving down there and a few dodgy characters hanging about, also never been a space outside.

Definitely worth it though, I'm addicted to the buffalo wings.

Ah it's not too bad to be fair - put on a hard walk ;)

But yeah, def worth collecting - the last time I ordered from them with JustEat the food arrived lukewarm and you are then rushing through it before it gets any colder. Dressed fries are a particular problem as the sauce/cheese etc will cool the chips down a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭phog

Save me rooting through a thread, where are these wings to be got?

phog wrote: »

High street, Across from the side of Mother Mac's.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Ah it's not too bad to be fair - put on a hard walk ;)

But yeah, def worth collecting - the last time I ordered from them with JustEat the food arrived lukewarm and you are then rushing through it before it gets any colder. Dressed fries are a particular problem as the sauce/cheese etc will cool the chips down a lot quicker.

Always more about the hassle for me, can't be arsed dealing with wasters.

Only tried the garlic and cheese but they were immense, didn't expect it from a place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

waldo2k wrote: »

Best of luck with your new business Waldo........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »

They are really nice. I would stick chilli on everything and I found the lava sauce had a fair bang off them. Gonna try nuclear next time but I know it will probably kill me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They are really nice. I would stick chilli on everything and I found the lava sauce had a fair bang off them. Gonna try nuclear next time but I know it will probably kill me

The nuclear wings are probably the spiciest thing I've ever eaten in Limerick. Absolutely bonkers.

I had those Volcanoes wings before and I was never so disappointed. They’re like sometbing you’d get in a bad Chinese as a starter. Unless they’ve changed, but there as very little meat.

Hard beat the Curraghgower for wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

L-M wrote: »
    I had those Volcanoes wings before and I was never so disappointed. They’re like sometbing you’d get in a bad Chinese as a starter. Unless they’ve changed, but there as very little meat.

I've gotten them about 15-20 times over the years. The quality varies wildly. Sometimes they are the nicest wings, other times they are very poor. They really don't travel well, I prefer to pick them up now as the deliveries are often cold.

Curragower wings are drastically overpriced. Same with Coqbull who had lovely wings when they first opened up, now they have skimpy portions and the taste isn't there.

The Locke and Brew Bros are underrated for their wings IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jesus what I wouldn't give to head to the Curraghgower for wings, a few pints and a match.

Agree curragowher wings are top class but way too expensive. Volcano wings are decent and much more reasonably priced. Good selection to choose from also.

They aren't wings but chippy chicken is delicious. Well their garlic parmesan chicken chips anyway. Haven't had it in a while but drooling thinking of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Agree curragowher wings are top class but way too expensive. Volcano wings are decent and much more reasonably priced. Good selection to choose from also.

They aren't wings but chippy chicken is delicious. Well their garlic parmesan chicken chips anyway. Haven't had it in a while but drooling thinking of them.

As part of a night out they are well worth it, decent pints, decent wings, the craic, I don't think I've ever had a bad day/evening/night there but there's normally a few of us and there's a match involved.

Volcano is lovely and I agree with their garlic/parmesan chips, used to be my regular order when Volcano was open in Ennis. I got decent wings in The Top House (Sinnotts) in Annacotty as well, but I had so much beer on board any wings would have been decent wings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Clareman wrote: »
    Jesus what I wouldn't give to head to the Curraghgower for wings, a few pints and a match.

I swear I'll never complain about a bad pint in Thomond Park again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Had Chinese from Hong Kong last night. First time having it and it was delicious. Would definitely get it again. Cheap too.

Clareman wrote: »

I was only just saying the same this evening when we walked passed the local pub and the light was on.

I know the wings are expensive in Curragh but if it’s a once a week take away job I’d prefer to spend the extra.

I compare everything to McDonalds, which I haven’t had in years. But if people are willing to pay nearly 10 euro for a large Whatever meal in McDonalds, any good food is worth the 1.5 McDonalds.

It’s like the “it’s only the price of a pint” logic

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Anyone ever eaten in or from Copia Green? Got a flyer in the mail today and food looks nice.

Jane98 wrote: »
    Anyone ever eaten in or from Copia Green? Got a flyer in the mail today and food looks nice.

I ate there... It’s... healthy tasting....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I ate there... It’s... healthy tasting....

Never been but beef cheek ragu sounds amazing. Also does any adult actually base their menu choice on which item is the "Munster Rugby Players’ Favorites"

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Never been but beef cheek ragu sounds amazing. Also does any adult actually base their menu choice on which item is the "Munster Rugby Players’ Favorites"

The type of people who eat healthy take aways, that’s who.

Advertisement