Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Had Doco pizza earlier at the Castletroy Farmers Market after seeing the recommendation here, definitely one of the better pizzas in Limerick.

Menu is small (at the moment just margharita, pepperoni, nduja, and garlic pizza) so if you're looking for mounds of different toppings it might not be for you, but the pizza was excellent.

They're at Monaleen P&P for the weekend, you can preorder on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Mamma Mia reopening today after installing a new pizza oven. Get in my belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I bought the fresh pizzas from Baxter & Greene in Dunnes Jetland on a couple of occasions recently and I found them excellent. As good as as anything else in town presently imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There's a new pizza place looks almost finished on O'Connell St. too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Tuscany Bistro set to open a branch in St. Nessan's Rd. , Dooradoyle- in mini shopping strip next to the Hi Way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

breezy1985 wrote: »

Opening 9th Dec! Previews on their Instagram look good too

Opening 9th Dec! Previews on their Instagram look good too

Interesting. What are they called? I love me a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

paulers06 wrote: »
    Interesting. What are they called? I love me a pizza.

Doh @dohpizzas

Always good to have more good pizza options!

breezy1985 wrote: »

Looking forward to this one

Doh @dohpizzas

Always good to have more good pizza options!

Can never have enough options! I’ll keep an open mind as they do look tasty but maybe not as tasty looking as my beloved Mamma Mia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Can never have enough options! I’ll keep an open mind as they do look tasty but maybe not as tasty looking as my beloved Mamma Mia.

I think they have lovely pizzas. However their €3.50 delivery charge is a bit steep looking at the price of the pizza before adding on that charge. A single pizza costing roughly €18/19? Maybe I am alone in thinking that maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Leonita wrote: »
    I think they have lovely pizzas. However their €3.50 delivery charge is a bit steep looking at the price of the pizza before adding on that charge. A single pizza costing roughly €18/19? Maybe I am alone in thinking that maybe?

You will get people saying "you pay for quality" etc, but the truth is that pizza are one of the highest mark-up items you can have in a restaurant, along with chicken wings which is another big trend.

Leonita wrote: »

I’ve only ever done collection as I find pizza can be warm at best when delivered. Paying €3.50 for tired pizza would be a bit of a pisser alright.

We’re also margarita eaters and I think €10.50 per pizza ain’t bad.

I’ve only ever done collection as I find pizza can be warm at best when delivered. Paying €3.50 for tired pizza would be a bit of a pisser alright.

I'm the same. Even a Mama Mia pizza cools fairly quickly on my 6 minute spin home

I've gotten take out from there too and I'm only a 5 or 6 minute drive from there. And like other people have said it does cool quickly. So that is why I think the delivery on top of the price is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm the same. Even a Mama Mia pizza cools fairly quickly on my 6 minute spin home

I had it and drove 20 mins home. It was awful. What made it worse was my misses wanted Chinese and I forced the pizza option. Regretted that one

We'll have to invest in a few of these

We'll have to invest in a few of these

Looks like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Whats the view on Doh! Pizza...is it better than Mamma Mia?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

I have not been but a colleague was and was very impressed. Their social media makes them look good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The only job for me and it's always worked for takeaway pizza is pull up in either the crescent or childers road (whichever is closer) and eat away and bring the rubbish home always works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Had this for the first time yesterday. Was very dissapointed to be honest. Had been looking forward to trying it all week.

The toppings were excellent and high quality but that was it, the pizza base was poor in my opinion. It was so chewy I struggled to slice it up when I got home. It felt more like a naan bread you get in Tesco. Was even tough to swallow. The garlic bread was just dough with a very slight taste of garlic.

Got the Nutella desert pizza also and it looked nothing like the pics. Small bit of Nutella and a few very thin slices of strawberries on top.

Mamma Mia far nicer if you ask me.

I was hoping for something similar to Dough Bros in Galway but it wasn't even close.

For the prices they are charging I will just go somewhere else in future.

Edit: also on a side note I bought myself a bag on Amazon to keep take away food hot. I live 15 minutes from town so needed something to keep it warm until I got home. Tried for the first time yesterday and did the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Dont know if its been mentioned but the fish and chips from the van outside The Locke are top quality

but ....

they are way over priced. €14 for hake and chips and €15 for scampi. Both dishes were lovely but the portion size was awful for both. 7 Pieces of scampi and a small fillet of hake

Throw in some mushy peas and a few drinks and we were near to €40 for take away fish and chips

while I couldnt fault the quality I wont be back based on the price

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Dont know if its been mentioned but the fish and chips from the van outside The Locke are top quality

but ....

they are way over priced. €14 for hake and chips and €15 for scampi. Both dishes were lovely but the portion size was awful for both. 7 Pieces of scampi and a small fillet of hake

Throw in some mushy peas and a few drinks and we were near to €40 for take away fish and chips

I second this. Excellent quality to be fair but the portions and the price is actaully a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The Locke burger do a lunch deal during the week. €10 burger chip and can.

Have to say it’s the best burger in town, chips are great too. Seriously good value when you consider the muck you get in McDonalds or Burger King for the same, if not more.

Has anyone tried DOH pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

mitresize5 wrote: »

but ....

Sorry, but you would want to be mad to pay €14 for takeaway fish and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Had Sambros recently. I had the Sloppy Joe and the missus had the BBQ burger. Got some double meal deal for €20 all in with fries and drinks. They smoke their own meats and it shows in the flavour - will def be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

L-M wrote: »
    The Locke burger do a lunch deal during the week. €10 burger chip and can.

Have to say it’s the best burger in town, chips are great too. Seriously good value when you consider the muck you get in McDonalds or Burger King for the same, if not more.

Has anyone tried DOH pizza?

Locke burger is decent alright, they’d want to lay off the salt on the chips though

Doh pizza is really really good, the sauce is incredible and the pizza dough is as good as I’ve ever had in Ireland

In fact I recommend what they call the plain doh which is just the base cooked and flavoured with sea salt or rosemary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Locke burger is decent alright, they’d want to lay off the salt on the chips though

Doh pizza is really really good, the sauce is incredible and the pizza dough is as good as I’ve ever had in Ireland

In fact I recommend what they call the plain doh which is just the base cooked and flavoured with sea salt or rosemary

I wonder did I just get a bad batch of dough or something. Did you find it hard to cut/eat? I found I had to chew for ages before I could swallow it and it was nearly impossible to cut with a pizza slicer.

Advertisement