Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies, introduce yerselves !

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You going to the Midwest humanist meeting on "Blasphemy is a victim-less crime " tonight?

Nope, I'm going to the seaside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

5uspect wrote: »
    Nope, I'm going to the seaside!

I wish I was going to the seaside. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wish I was going to the seaside. :(

It rained. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

5uspect wrote: »
    It rained. :mad:

It was Thors will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

Howdy, I'm common_parlance. The name reflects how I love to have a nice debate with a few mates, especially when those mates are logical, reasonable people and debates can actually come to some kind of agreement (after hours of hammering out the technicalities and flaws in each other's arguments). Ultimately that means I get on with atheists (and similar) far better than religious peeps.

I call myself an economist, which is why I do tend to pipe up when religious people start using statistics to defend religion. I like to think no one can spot flawed assumptions quite like an economist, considering we spend all day concealing them in footnotes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Welcome. :)

There ain't always agreement around here but that's the way it should be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] no one can spot flawed assumptions quite like an economist, considering we spend all day concealing them in footnotes.
    Well, that seems as good a flawed assumption as any to start off with!

Welcome, btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

robindch wrote: »
    Well, that seems as good a flawed assumption as any to start off with!

Welcome, btw :)

You left out the "I like to think..." suffix to that sentence, which is my code for "I will take this back at the first sign of contradiction."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I guess I'm not a newb but I'm definitely more of a lurker than a poster here. I'm 29, studied Philosophy among other things in various universities and now work as an account. I've been an athiest since about the age of 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It was Thors will.

By Oden your right, but wasn't yesterday Tiwazday? Maybe he was out sick and Thor was covering for him and you know how zealous Thor can be. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hi, Just reading over the introductions. I'm 27 and live and work in Dublin and am a civil technician. Had a bit of a revelation about 8 years ago when i realised I never bought the "God" thing. Interesting that most professions of people introducing themselves are in a technical/scientific field. Not that there are not atheists of all professions but there does seem to be a pattern!

Welcome. :)

I haven't seen this thread... So I suppose I'll post.

My name is Gavin, I usually lurk around both here and the Christianity forum; I read more than I post, but I do post the odd time. I'm 19 and have just finished repeating my Leaving Cert. this year (so yes, I'm young-ish, but don't - like a few people have - assume because of that that my views are lesser than an older poster's) and I'm hoping to study physics or maths next year.

I've been an atheist/agnostic for all of my life, but my atheistic views were really cemented around the age of 13 when I first got into reading on the subject of evolutionary biology, especially Darwin's great work. I'd class myself as an atheist, but I'm leaning more towards anti-theism lately (although I don't like the thoughts of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

[QUOTE I'm a lowly musician and can generally at least give the impression that I understand what's going on.[/QUOTE]

just like me.

I'm 24 and consider myself a veteran Lurker for last 4 years. rarely post as i have given up arguing about how silly religion is. Love reading some of the debates here though. I think some people on this forum should be running the country. Atheist party anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Evil-p wrote: »
    Hi, Just reading over the introductions. I'm 27 and live and work in Dublin and am a civil technician. Had a bit of a revelation about 8 years ago when i realised I never bought the "God" thing. Interesting that most professions of people introducing themselves are in a technical/scientific field. Not that there are not atheists of all professions but there does seem to be a pattern!

Whilst I do think that is somewhat true, you have to balance it with the fact that boards.ie would have a lot of posters from said fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 epik

Hi all.
    I can't bear to call myself an athiest. I absolutely hate the term, but by definition I am. Most of the time I'll refer to myself as agnostic, though that is usually a ploy to engage any willing person into a debate on the subject. I don't buy any religion, but I do have a deep respect for certain believers and aspects of their beliefs. I was rasied Catholic, but it conflicted too much with my understanding of the world. If I'm honest I think I despair more for human nature than religion. You know religion being the cause of so many wars etc... I guess I see religion as the justification for the darker side of human nature.
    I have a fantasy I'd like to share. Whenever I get that knock on the door from certain missionary working good news spreading types, I let 'em in. Maybe someday they'll actually listen to my side of the 'discussion' and I get to convert them. The Jehovahs have given up on me. The Mormons still try from time to time. Have to say I admire their persistance! But thats about it...

Anyway! Its nice to be here (both on the boards and as the proud owner of a state of conciousness that is mind-bogglingly difficult to grasp)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Hello there.
    I've been sporadically posting here for a while.
    My name is blixa (Niall)
    I'm studying in DCU
    I am from Crumlin
    And I am an atheist

Hey there, epik, blixa!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi Everyone!

I'm a bit of a lurker. I posted looking for stories about Christian groups trying to convert people for an article I was writing. It went well btw!:)

I tend not to post too much because I find people normally have posted my thoughts exactly already!!

I studied religion for 4 years and I'm mid moving all over the place. I'm 24. Atheist for almost 10years now!

Advertisement