Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies, introduce yerselves !

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We seem to have gotten a lot of new folk 'round these parts as of late :D

I find myself welcoming people that I don't recognise when they post in other threads, so we may as well have a place to give them a proper welcome, athiest-styleeee !

Maybe ye could just post here at some point and say hello :)

It's nice to have some new faces, it gets a bit monotonous when it's the same lads all having a circle jerk about the latest post on Pharyngula or richarddawkins.net :D

So say hello and maybe tell us what brings ye here ;)

I'm Dave, I've been posting here for a good while ! I'm 21 and in my last few months in UCD studying Computer Science and History

I live in Tallaght

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Greetings. I'm Nodin and a (relatively) laid back atheist. I'm new here, but have been active on various 'international' MSN debate boards for a few years, many of which are now no longer extant, since the switch off by MSN. I am (unfortunately) 39 and in and from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Hi there,

I'm Aldebaran, I'm 20, and I'm a student in Maynooth. I've been lurking around this forum for the past few months, I'd contribute more except for the fact that you guys seem to seem to be much more intelligent and eloquent than me :D

I'm a passive sort of Atheist, never get into arguments with religious people at all, I suppose in some peoples eyes that means I'm not a fully-fledged member of the Atheist community yet!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Hello,
    I'm uncleoswald but you can call me oz. For the most part I'm a lurker but I'll dip my toes in every now and then if I'm sure I won't embarrass myself. I'm in my mid(i.e. late (i.e. very late)) twenties and am an amateur atheist. I have an interest in Religion probably for two reasons, a: it has shaped people, history and currant day events to such a huge degree and b: some of it is just so damn entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hello,
    I'm uncleoswald but you can call me oz. For the most part I'm a lurker but I'll dip my toes in every now and then if I'm sure I won't embarrass myself. I'm in my mid(i.e. late (i.e. very late)) twenties and am an amateur atheist. I have an interest in Religion probably for two reasons, a: it has shaped people, history and currant day events to such a huge degree and b: some of it is just so damn entertaining.

You're also a Roald Dahl fan, by the looks of things. Welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'm horribly questioning but I woudn't say I'm an atheist.

I'm usually on the photography or humanities fora

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

You're also a Roald Dahl fan, by the looks of things. Welcome.

Finally, after years of using it on forums and the like you are the first to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'm daemonic, a name which has no significance other than being in the title of a book I spotted on the shelf when trying to think of an interweb name about 10 years ago :eek:
    More lurker than poster. Clinging desperately to the mid-30's age group. Find this forum to be one of the most thought provoking around. Lots of carefully constructed posts even when I don't agree.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm Michael, 26 years old,from Mayo,study outdoor education. Been on boards a few years now,don't post all that often,started coming in here recently and started to post more, i guess because i like a bit of an argument.I gradually turned from a non-devout catholic into an atheist over the last 12 years or so. I willingly got banned temporarily from christianity last week (sorry Phototoxin :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

In fitz0. 20 years old, studying Architecture in DIT. Been here for a while now never introduced myself (Ironically I found this forum through the Christianity forum). I post when I get the time which is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I'm Matt, a 23-year old doctor from Dublin. I consciously became an atheist about a year ago but was aware of it's inherent silliness a long time before that. I do enjoy getting riled up on the christianity forum and losing my head (usually at wolfsbane)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm Joanne, 24 years old, 4th year CS student in UCD. Been lurking and posting here for a long time, sometimes post random crap in the Religious Humour forum (the more innuendo-laden the better tbh). I've described myself as an atheist since I was a child, yet somehow survived a Sisters of Mercy education :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Hey, I'm Dave, 21. I'm not a full-blown atheist, but an agnostic. I love an argument and will argue with atheists and theists alike. It's just theists are such easier targets! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MatthewVII wrote: »
    I consciously became an atheist about a year ago but was aware of it's inherent silliness a long time before that.

I presume you mean religion's inherent silliness as opposed to atheism's? :D

Lots of lurkers here who's names I don't even recognise! :eek: Welcome folks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi, I'm Kevin. I guess I've been posting here awhile now.
    Been a bit busy of late so I've been quiet.
    Good to see so many lurkers posting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

5uspect wrote: »
    Good to see so many lurkers posting!
    Crumbs, I feel like Bernard Woolley in pointing out that lurkers don't post -- they lurk :)

Anyhow, since the newbies may not know the oldies, well, I'm Robin and I'm gutted to see I'm -- jeez! -- more than twice the age of some of the posters here! Arrgh! When I'm not being shocked at this, I work as a software engineer in my own company where I produce C++ which tests and certifies all kinds of electronic payment systems. My posting rate tends to vary in proportion with how many times the core libraries need to be recompiled. Oddly for an atheist, I also play the pipe organ, albeit badly.

I realized I was an atheist while in Milan cathedral a few years back, eating a strawberry ice-cream.

On behalf of all the forum mods, welcome!

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hi, I'm Stephen. I'm 30 years old and working for a small software company in Limerick. Generally just lurk about the forum.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

robindch wrote: »
    Crumbs, I feel like Bernard Woolley in pointing out that lurkers don't post -- they lurk :)

Don't let the coke and hookers get to your head. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I'm Conor, early 20's, I only really found this forum recently but I bring delicious babies for all Atheists!
    Hooray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'm Michael, 27, from Killiney. I work in Investment Administration and... yep. That's all I do.

Happy to be here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mkaobrih

Hi - another lurker - I’m Helen a full time mom of 4 in my 40’s and a very happy atheist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

MatthewVII wrote: »
    I'm Matt, a 23-year old doctor

Aw ****, I'm getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mkaobrih wrote: »
    Hi - another lurker - I’m Helen a full time mom of 4 in my 40’s and a very happy atheist.

Hey cool, your first post on boards is in this forum :) Welcome! Maybe you could join in the discussions about raising kids, etc.? I'll try root one out !

edit:

Here ya go!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hi, I'm Richard and I've been on boards for a pretty long time. I've only started posting on A&A having never really participated in any of the spirituality/religion forums here previously.
    I'm an Atheist, and am quite proud to be one though a consequence of this seems to be an increasing hatred for organised religion and its grip on society.

I also read here and here quite frequently as there is sometimes some really in-depth, interesting discussion on both the sides of theists and atheists.

I'm currently working in sales though plan to go back to college in September to do CS through Science in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 c99

I cant get the hang of this at all , posted a question earlier and cant even fint it now

c:P

c99 wrote: »
    I cant get the hang of this at all , posted a question earlier and cant even fint it now

c:P
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055503569

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hi I'm Asia ex-Dublin, now living it up in wonderful Tokyo, Japan (married with kid). Working as a Business Communications consultant. Welcome to all of you. Have fun and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed...we don't bite:)

Asiaprod wrote: »
    we don't bite:)

Just shoot from the hip the odd time, eh? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Pride Fighter, lurker mostly, occasional poster. I can be found on the MMA, GAA, Politics and UCD board. I'm in my early 20's, UCD student, 3rd year arts.
    Agnostic since 15, Atheist since 19:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 curly2000ie

hello world!

First time ever to post on any board in the world.

My name is Ian. I am just finished my PhD in computer Science at UCD (well Bioinformatics specifically).

I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins, it is his books which made sense of it all.

• Advertisement

hello world!...I am just finished my PhD in computer Science

I was not surprised to find that reference followed by that little fact tbh.

Does that make me a nerd?

Advertisement