Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies, introduce yerselves !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mjg wrote: »
    Hi

I joined the site during another effort to give up the fags, then found that I spent most of my time on the site in this forum.

I'm 34, an ex-engineer (gave it up to find something more personally satisfying, still looking) and a non-practising, giving it no thought product of a Catholic upbringing like most of Ireland (gave it up when I accidentaly applied some logic to the whole house of cards).

I'm an occasional poster, don't have the time to really get into the threads.

Back on the fags too.

Heh, "fags".

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Unconcerned

Hi I'm 'Fin', 22 year old from Tullamore. I am an atheist/realist :) I cannot help but get roped into religious debates. Although I am not 100% sure of the fact that there is no god(s), I see too much in the world to suggest otherwise! I have seen alot of christian teachings (and as a young Irish man have read ALOT of atleast Christian passages), I have had countless debates with friends, family and strangers on the subject of religion and god, though I have yet to see anything truely devine past the clever metaphores and basic life morals (right and wrong, do good to others etc.), though I am sure that such a mentality was around before the introduction of religion. Hopefully I can enter into some good debates and maybe calm my need to argue with religious people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hi I'm 'Fin', 22 year old from Tullamore. I am an atheist/realist :) I cannot help but get roped into religious debates. Although I am not 100% sure of the fact that there is no god(s), I see too much in the world to suggest otherwise! I have seen alot of christian teachings (and as a young Irish man have read ALOT of atleast Christian passages), I have had countless debates with friends, family and strangers on the subject of religion and god, though I have yet to see anything truely devine past the clever metaphores and basic life morals (right and wrong, do good to others etc.), though I am sure that such a mentality was around before the introduction of religion. Hopefully I can enter into some good debates and maybe calm my need to argue with religious people :)

It never truly calms... ONLY GROWS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Hey lads,

I've been a long time reader, posting infrequently, but a bit more lately.

Long time atheist, all my life pretty much, a bit rare in god fearing Ireland but I count myself lucky, though I imagine I'd have rejected the old superstitions regardless with time.

Really enjoy reading the posts here, some great styles of argument and heaps of knowledge and information crammed into threads making for a worthwhile read, with some great humor also.

Keep up the good work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

So I'm just wondering what our resident posters do to put bacon on the table (or not)? Well I can gather that we have a few scientists in our midst (from obvious threads) and have seen posts in Programming from others. Apart from that I really don't know, and thought it might be interesting to see what we get up to.

I'm doing a research masters (software) and work in a bar at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

toiletduck wrote: »
    So I'm just wondering what our resident posters do to put bacon on the table (or not)? Well I can gather that we have a few scientists in our midst (from obvious threads) and have seen posts in Programming from others. Apart from that I really don't know, and thought it might be interesting to see what we get up to.

I'm doing a research masters (software) and work in a bar at the weekends.

Thinking of ways of avoiding real work mostly by attempting disciplines far outside of my reach. Currently trying to learn Invoation Y Danza by Rodrigo and write a book about the death of art seen through the eyes of an avertising salesman who becomes a revolutionist. I've said too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have a Business and Information Systems degree. Currently I'm in the midst of implementing a new website for a camera shop. I'm on contract but hoping to become permanent once the website is up where my role will broaden into general IT. I will be doing Apple Mac OS X and Adobe certification at some stage in the future so I can head up the software training and support for our pro customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Finished the Computer Games Development course in ITCarlow this year.
    The course was very maths intensive and a lot of graphics too. Loats of Data Structures and all that good stuff.

Moving into iPhone development for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So I'm just wondering what our resident posters do to put bacon on the table
    Merged with the March thread...

Cheers, did a search for a similar thread but nothing came up.

Objective C is the tool of satan :p Only messed about with it once. iPhone development looks interesting but the lack of a mac and heavy workload render my plan to develop a million euro app in the ehh "Investigative stages".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cool. If I was 10 years younger I'd love to get into apps. :o
    Just don't have the time these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Objective C is the tool of satan :p Only messed about with it once. iPhone development looks interesting but the lack of a mac and heavy workload render my plan to develop a million euro app in the ehh "Investigative stages".

I'm playing with the Devils Tool right now.

"-(void)ViewDidLoad"? filthy....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well I'm kinda self employed, I started a busniess a while back, things are busy but as I have put so much into it I reckon I'll let the managers manage:D I dont put much time into it anymore tbh. I used to pop in and kick ass but that hasn't happened in a while. My son worked it for a bit but it crucified him. We have a good spirit though and keep moving on.

I started off in lighting, then saw an opening in hydro-works. Had a bit of work with a land moving firm. I had a company called 'cosmic creations' It was kinda linked to the lighting co but on a much bigger scale. I had an importing company too, mostly birds and fish, I'd ship'em in all over the world. Because of that I moved into land animals and the whole thing took off from there really. We are more into Human Resoures over the last while... sure you never know whats gonna happen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I did a few years in the military, which was fun for a while, but bullets hurt and the blood is real so I went into IT. Not the software side, but networks/infrastructure. I've been at the IT Director/CTO level for about eight years now. About time to pack it all in and find an Island somewhere methinks.

Only been in Ireland about 10 years now and still can't grasp the catholic influence there is, especially people's upbringing. It's all very alien to me still.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I used to be a biologist. Now I work in IT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Piano teacher, mostly. I teach English during the Summers.

Trying to get into something that pays a bit better, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Piano teacher, mostly. I teach English during the Summers.

Trying to get into something that pays a bit better, though.

Do you do grades etc, or can you teach blues and jazz etc?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm an Academic and I live in an Ivory Tower.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Do you do grades etc, or can you teach blues and jazz etc?

Yeah, I teach classical - can't touch blues or jazz, as I never had the ear for them.

Most of my students are kids, and nearly all of them are doing grades, but I try to get them to do as much performance as they're up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I guess I don't qualify as a newb, but I'd like to introduce myself anyway. So I will.

My name is Lou and I'm an embedded software developer in Shannon and I live in Limerick. I've been an atheist for about 2 and half years before that I was probably an atheist too but in the closet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm an embedded software developer in Shannon

Is there a war on in Shannon?
    and I live in Limerick.
    Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

I usually lurk but have posted occasionally.
    My name is Conor, I'm a 32 year old father of 2 and live in Meath.
    I'm working in IT for 12 years now and my dream job would be a house husband type role where I could concentrate my time on being uber lazy.
    :)

dvpower wrote: »

Sorry the joke is lost on me :confused:
    Oh.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sorry the joke is lost on me :confused:

You don't usually see software developers in foxholes but considering it's Limerick it's more understandable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Limerick looks just fine from my UL Ivory Tower. The scobies look like little polyester covered ants from up here.

5uspect wrote: »
    Limerick looks just fine from my UL Ivory Tower. The scobies look like little polyester covered ants from up here.

You going to the Midwest humanist meeting on "Blasphemy is a victim-less crime " tonight?

Took me a while to get that!

Took me a while to get that!

I still haven't got it...:(

I still haven't got it...:(

Embedded software developer is like
    embedded journalist