Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies, introduce yerselves !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

hello world!

First time ever to post on any board in the world.

My name is Ian. I am just finished my PhD in computer Science at UCD (well Bioinformatics specifically).

I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins, it is his books which made sense of it all.

You have a doctorate in the internet and you've never posted on a forum before? How bizarre.

[group therapy voice]

Hi, I'm Zillah, I'm 24. I have a Media Degree, I like mountain biking, photography, crushing people's fragile faith in the supernatural, films and music. I just got back from back packing around South America and in a month I'm moving to Canada. I'm appalled to realise I've been posting on boards for seven years.

[/group therapy voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 curly2000ie

Rb wrote: »

Does that make me a nerd?

Nope! it makes me a nerd for doing it intentionally.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

hello world!
    Rb wrote: »
    I was not surprised to find that reference followed by that little fact tbh.

Does that make me a nerd?
    Nope! it makes me a nerd for doing it intentionally.:pac:

I was going to post it if you didn't Rb so I guess we're all nerds!

Anyway...

Hi, I'm Niall. I studied Electronic Engineering in UL. I live and work in Waterford, where I grew up, providing software support on shift (that's why I'm posting at 6 am!) in a manufacturing plant (we'll be on the news today :)).

You could find me anywhere on Boards but mostly I'll be in Trophy Manager, Lolocaust, Waterford City or The Nocturnal Forum.

I posted in my first A&A thread tonight. My Athesim story (doesn't that sound like it could be one of those Discovery programmes?) is there in detail so I won't re-hash it here. Suffice it to say that I'm 23 and have been an atheist for about 5 years, but more openly in the past two. I still find that saying the words "I'm an atheist" gets a strange response. In fact, this exact thing happened about 3 hours ago when I explained why I won't be getting married in a church!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Name: Séan
    Profession: entertainment industry
    Atheist-Agnostic since about age 12. Came out as agnostic at 14, atheist 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hello there,

I first posted here a wee while ago now but I don't post very often so I'm not sure if I qualify as newbie - any ways - spotted this thread & it seemed like a nice idea to formally say hi regardless!

I'm 32 - just! I have two small children, I'm Scottish, living in Ireland since my other half dragged me here kicking & screaming, lol. I'm a SAHM now as well as being an adult literacy tutor and a student with the OU (Life Sciences).

I've been an atheist, well, forever really. I started questioning what I heard at Sunday school when I was about five. I still find other people's faith absolutely fascinating & on occasion I'm slightly jealous of the comfort they can draw from it...

That's me *waves* :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

robindch wrote: »
    I'm Robin and I'm gutted to see I'm -- jeez! -- more than twice the age of some of the posters here!

Fear not Robin, you're not alone, I've been around since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

hi there, im tom, 19 year old engineering student from newbridge.
    Literally only started on this about half an hour ago,
    Decided to stop lurking and start typing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hello there,

I first posted here a wee while ago now but I don't post very often so I'm not sure if I qualify as newbie - any ways - spotted this thread & it seemed like a nice idea to formally say hi regardless!

I'm 32 - just! I have two small children, I'm Scottish, living in Ireland since my other half dragged me here kicking & screaming, lol. I'm a SAHM now as well as being an adult literacy tutor and a student with the OU (Life Sciences).

I've been an atheist, well, forever really. I started questioning what I heard at Sunday school when I was about five. I still find other people's faith absolutely fascinating & on occasion I'm slightly jealous of the comfort they can draw from it...

That's me *waves* :o

Welcome! :D

If you feel like posting more, there's a thread here about how atheists will/do raise their kids, so would be interesting to hear your own thoughts!

Here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469544

Ooooh! There's a meaty debate! Thanks Dave!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I'm Mike. 42 this month .... but extraordinarily young looking!:cool: Psychologist by profession. Atheist and skeptic for many years now. Welcome to newbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Hello.

Allow me to introduce myself.

Thank you.

I'm a man of wealth and taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Zillah wrote: »

I am also a man of taste, all of it bad.

I can't believe Chocolate Sauce could ever have bad taste?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Zillah wrote: »

Ive been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a mans soul and faith

sink wrote: »
    Ive been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a mans soul and faith

Bout time someone got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Myksyk wrote: »
    Psychologist by profession.

Seems we have people from many varied fields. So we have scientists, media people and psychologists....
    To the propaganda machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

The name is Dave (seems popular for an atheist/agnostic), a biochemist 38 with 2 kids. Not sure what bracket I fit into exactly and I'm happy that way. Have a habit of questioning things, which is why the whole Jebus and religion thing just doesn't sit right with me.

Usually pop in on a daily basis - its better than reading the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Just realised I got my age wrong. I'm only a young 37:(

Maybe it was a sign from God?

I think I introduced myself in the last one of these but I am pg633, 28. An accountant with a degree in French.

@ Robin - I am surprised they let you into the Duomo with an ice cream - they are generally picky about what people are wearing, holding etc.

You could have missed that moment of revelation if you weren't let in - imagine what you could have become if you were next door in the shopping arcade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

gramlab wrote: »
    Usually pop in on a daily basis - its better than reading the Sun.

Jayzus there's a slogan for the forum :D
    Just realised I got my age wrong. I'm only a young 37:(

Maybe it was a sign from God?

Probably not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I am Valmont, veteran lurker* and occasional poster. I can't keep up with the speed of the arguments on here but I do try.

*since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

My name is Ian. I am just finished my PhD in computer Science at UCD (well Bioinformatics specifically).

I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins, it is his books which made sense of it all.

Sounds cool - is that the one that's half in Conway and half in mathematical modeling? Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Hello!

I'm Al, a 21 yr old law graduate.

Gave up on the relly in my teens, funnily enough shortly after becoming a godmother. Uni sealed the deal after seeing the negetive effect god bothering has on our laws and law makers.

I am also a lurker who has decided to beome known and am looking forward to many fun debates from here on in. Just hope I can keep up with the scientists!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

vinchick wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm Al, a 21 yr old law graduate.

Gave up on the relly in my teens, funnily enough shortly after becoming a godmother. Uni sealed the deal after seeing the negetive effect god bothering has on our laws and law makers.

I am also a lurker who has decided to beome known and am looking forward to many fun debates from here on in. Just hope I can keep up with the scientists!

:D

Having studied law, you shouldn't have too much bother. I'm a lowly musician and can generally at least give the impression that I understand what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Having studied law, you shouldn't have too much bother. I'm a lowly musician and can generally at least give the impression that I understand what's going on.

I'll give it a go anyways! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

The name is Dave (seems popular for an atheist/agnostic), a biochemist 38 with 2 kids.
    [...]

A bit ironic as David is a biblical name of great importance. Even Jesus was descended from the line of King David!

A bit ironic as David is a biblical name of great importance. Even Jesus was descended from the line of King David!

Technically they claim Joseph was, and Joseph was only his step-father, which, to be quite frank, gives me a moments pause that perhaps he was not the prophesied saviour of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Hi

I joined the site during another effort to give up the fags, then found that I spent most of my time on the site in this forum.

I'm 34, an ex-engineer (gave it up to find something more personally satisfying, still looking) and a non-practising, giving it no thought product of a Catholic upbringing like most of Ireland (gave it up when I accidentaly applied some logic to the whole house of cards).

I'm an occasional poster, don't have the time to really get into the threads.

Back on the fags too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Hi I'm Naz (aka Scott - Can't remember why I chose that username a few years ago!).
    I'm in my late 20s and have been a long-time anti-religious agnostic, but recently decided to actually make the effort to define my beliefs and ended up an anti-religious atheist. A general lurker and occasional poster when I find the time.

Advertisement