Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when we die?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I don't mean this in the religious, spiritual or supernatural sense but literally. As an atheist, when you die do you request that you have a non-religious burial? Has anyone here thought about this? I know its a very morbid topic :o but I was just thinking about it while I was lying in bed.

So would ye request that yer funeral be strictly non religious (no prayers or anything) or is it left up to the family/mourners?

Again, I'm sorry about the depressing nature of the topic but the thought just came to me and I am interested to hear yer answers. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Up to the family. Doesn't matter to me what they do with the body when I am gone and anything I can do to ease their mourning is cool by me.

I DO like the idea I heard of the tetris music being played while the coffin is being lowered, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im just gonna leave it upto whoever is in the pub with me when i die. I be dead i wont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Cremation.

I don't want my corpse to be a burden on people (coffin, plot, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I actually fancy one of those new fangled buried in a meadow with a tree plonked on top type of deals.

I would expect that the service will depend on when I die. If it is before my mother then I would expect she will be quite upset if there is no religulous service. My personal preference would be for a humanist type service, but given that I will be dead I am not really bothered.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Considering that everyone in my family would be classified as "atheist", I guess I'll get burned and chucked into a pot, to be distributed into the sea at some point.

Don't really care either way, so long as there is much merriment at the event, should there be one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FYIs - older thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Cremation.

I don't want my corpse to be a burden on people (coffin, plot, etc).

Did you think Cremation means just stuffing you into a the kitchen oven at home in a black plastic bin liner at 220C, setting the timer at max and going down to the Pub?

- Anyway think of the trouble they'll have everytime they knock over your Urn and have to go searching in the Hoover dust-bag for bits of ya !!!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

SDooM wrote: »
    I DO like the idea I heard of the tetris music being played while the coffin is being lowered, though.

That idea is beyond brilliant:D

Personally, I'll probably insist on no Christian funeral service. And probably cremation, but I'm not certain.

Raiser wrote: »
    Did you think Cremation means just stuffing you into a the kitchen oven at home in a black plastic bin liner at 220C, setting the timer at max and going down to the Pub?

- Anyway think of the trouble they'll have everytime they knock over your Urn and have to go searching in the Hoover dust-bag for bits of ya !!!
    :p

Throw me to the pigs, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Disssgruntled

They're too busy shopping for Penthouses in Dubai http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055494975

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

my organs will hopefully be still usuable enough that they can go on to help other people live.

That or my body will go on to help further scientific research.

Burning your dead body, or burying it whole is the height of selfishness imo. But that's just me. I can't see why a person would choose to waste or destory something that they no longer have a need for when other people could make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

my organs will hopefully be still usuable enough that they can go on to help other people live.

Burning your dead body, or burying it whole is the height of selfishness imo. But that's just me. I can't see why a person would choose to waste or destory something that they no longer have a need for when other people could make use of it.

Offered mine to a Uni I used to work for, but will probably be rejected seeing as there will be so little left after the years of abuse :P

Hey! Mines going to feed the little piggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

That's a good point, although I think the ritual of doing away with a body in some way does help the family cope - it gives a clear dividing line, and a chance for people to say goodbye, etc.

That said, on reflection I probably would donate most of my organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Hey! Mines going to feed the little piggies!

:p Actually I must retract my statement about selfishness. I suppose if someone wanted their body to become fertilizer for the ground then they wouldn't be wasting it per se ;)

I just feel strongly that in death, if our bodies can go on to help the humans of our childrens and grandchildrens generation then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I should hope that nothing goes to waste. Any reusable organs to be given to people who need them. Any unusable ones to be put on display in a museum with a plaque saying "This is what happens to your nuts when you sit too close to the TV!". Any left over bits of flesh to be donated to teh zoo to feed the lions. My bones can be sent to China to be ground up as 'medicine' - which will stop them digging up valuable fossils and destroying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Either scientific research, or put on a small boat, send it out to sea, and ignite it 20 meters from shore with a flaming arrow. Prefer to be fish food than be worm food, with the possibilty of being dug up by Time Team in 200 or so years... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

First of all I don't think it's a morbid topic!

I wouldn't really have a problem donating my body to science (but not my organs...let's just say I know a surgeon who has told me scary stories!), unless my family has a problem with it. You can still have a memorial without a body, so it shouldn't make a difference. And the university will arrange to dispose of the remains for you if you want.

Just as long as there's no priest mumbling crap over my dead body I don't really care. It would be a pretty pathetic memorial if my loved ones allowed that to happen as my last remembrance on earth. Anyone who knows me has seen my physical revulsion at even being near a church so I don't think it would happen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I once saw a very good (atheist) friend be put through the grotesque sham of a Catholic funeral. I almost laughed at my best friend's funeral because it was so ridiculous.

No thanks. Secular service for me.

With Tetris music.

OR, however I died, stab the corpse fifty times and then dump it and five gallons of pigs blood somewhere very public at 05:30 AM for lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Viking funeral for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Thrown into active volcano.
    Or failing that, under a fruit or oak tree. Cardboard coffin, no embalming, non-denominational service for those that expect a service... Helps the grieving process...
    Maybe Some words said about the next great adventure...

I'd also like some grave goods... Something to confuse future archeologists... A sword and shield, my compass-clino, flint arrow heads on high tech shafts and an egg whisk, a sextant and an array of different stones and pebbles... A set of stainless steel dice and a little statue of a loyal beast of some sort...

Hmm I better put this in writing somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

SDooM wrote: »
    Up to the family.

Seconded. I don't care what happens to me so long as it makes those who survive me happy.

My personal choice is that I dedicate my body to science. But if my wife/kids/grandkids want to stuff me and mount me at the dinner table that is ok too. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Undergod wrote: »
    Viking funeral for sure.

+1, with a truckload of booze for everyone who comes to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Personally, I'll probably insist on no Christian funeral service. And probably cremation, but I'm not certain.

Cant decide -have a poll - poison the earth or pollute the atmosphere?

Wicknight wrote: »
    if my wife/kids/grandkids want to stuff me and mount me at the dinner table that is ok too. :pac:

You are a sick puppy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

friendface wrote: »
    As an atheist, when you die do you request that you have a non-religious burial?

When I die it'll be too late to request anything ...

... unless there's an afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Why are athiests/agnostics/insert-relevant-ist-here so obsessed with the death, funeral, and burial thing? Just get cremated and have your ashes used to print a copy of The God Delusion.

If I were to be hit by a bus tomorrow the idea that I would have a Catholic funeral and burial doesn't bother me in the slightest. Once the neurons stop firing that's it. Game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Valmont wrote: »
    Why are athiests/agnostics/insert-relevant-ist-here so obsessed with the death, funeral, and burial thing?
    Because, whereas religious people have a standard funeral plan, the nonreligious do not? And perhaps they think about death more because they don't swallow comforting stories given by other people who have never actually died?

I'll have a pyramidal funeral pyre, btw

If I were to be hit by a bus tomorrow
    Not the 84X I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why are athiests/agnostics/insert-relevant-ist-here so obsessed with the death, funeral, and burial thing? Just get cremated and have your ashes used to print a copy of The God Delusion.

Can't I just get a few of my more adventurous friends to mix me up with some coke and have an interesting night?

Advertisement