Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Funeral, what you gonna do

Options
  • 10-06-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Most Atheists in Ireland have family who are mostly catholics, so are you going to please them with a traditional catholic funeral?

Or are you going to have a funeral consisting of good friends and family, sharing quality food and drink while they tell stories of your life?

Loads of Atheists have catholic funerals every year, are you going to be one of them?

My fathers plans, are to be cremated and ous to rent out the local, after tossing his remains out over the Kerry seaside, with no mention of the mystical creature in the sky

.He doesnt talk about any religion or being an Atheist at all, he doesnt believe and doesnt want to waste a second of his life talking about any find of religion.People that know him well, dont even know he is an Atheist because of it, they just think he is a catholic that just doesnt go to mass ever, except for weddings and funerals.

He would lose the head if he thought we would spend thousands on a religious funeral, he is even annoyed on how much cremation would cost, should we just toss him out over the sea lol..

What are yee gonna do?

Give in and please others?

PS: Sorry if this topic has been done to death, cant see one exactly like this with search

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Hmm, in a way I don't care cos I'll be dead. ;) But I would hope that my family would respect my wishes and not mention sky beings. Although my family is all religious apart from me so they probably would. As far as "giving in" is concerned, I don't think I would. I will specify in my will that no sky beings should be mentioned.

Actually, where does one conduct funerals apart from churches?
    Personally, I've already picked out a nice ditch in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Is a designated graveyard the only place a person can be buried? I wouldn't mind a regular burial plot in a graveyard but without all the religious ponce associated with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll make my preference known... probably be cremated and have the ashes scattered somewhere yet to be decided. But ultimately whatever my family want to do is fine with me. At the end of the day it won't affect me at all, and it might give them comfort to have a religious ceremony. If so, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't mind how it's done, as long as it's entirely non-religious! Well my only family member with slightly religious viewpoints is my mother and if the natural order of things comes to pass, she won't be burying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

ill leave instructions for cremation and ash scattering, anyone who would have a hand in my funeral would know not to involve religion.

Graveyards in Ireland belong to either the local council or the local church, you do not have to be catholic nor have a catholic ceremony to be buried in a local authority one - but you would to go in a church owned graveyard.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    If the Church own the graveyard, then you can't pick and choose what you want. Go on, tell the PP you want a graveyard plot but want none of their "ponce".
    See how far that gets you.

Don't think I've posted in this forum before, time to leave I think :)
    byeeeeeeeeeee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If the Church own the graveyard, then you can't pick and choose what you want.
    You mean I can't be buried in my German Luftwaffe uniform? Outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

ill leave instructions for cremation and ash scattering, anyone who would have a hand in my funeral would know not to involve religion.

Graveyards in Ireland belong to either the local council or the local church, you do not have to be catholic nor have a catholic ceremony to be buried in a local authority one - but you would to go in a church owned graveyard.

I do think cremation is the way to go. What's the deal with leaving bodies lying under the ground? Taking up space.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I don't think eco-funerals have made it to Ireland yet. Still, if I get my way, I'll be planted vertically (smaller hole), in a cardboard box, without embalming chemicals (i.e. quickly). Then they can plant a pear tree on my head, so everyone can bite me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'll do that, but hopefully by the time I'm dead there will be more liberal marijuana laws so I'll choose them instead of the pear tree.

• Advertisement

i'll do that, but hopefully by the time I'm dead there will be more liberal marijuana laws so I'll choose them instead of the pear tree.
    Hah, that would be awesome. Inhaling Mordeth... sweet...

Wasn't there a rumour that Keith Richards snorted his dad's ashes? Turned out to be false, but still..... COOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

If the Church own the graveyard, then you can't pick and choose what you want. Go on, tell the PP you want a graveyard plot but want none of their "ponce".
    See how far that gets you.

Don't think I've posted in this forum before, time to leave I think :)

I think you missed my question entirely. Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremation. No fairytales:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

stereoroid wrote: »
    I don't think eco-funerals have made it to Ireland yet. Still, if I get my way, I'll be planted vertically (smaller hole), in a cardboard box, without embalming chemicals (i.e. quickly). Then they can plant a pear tree on my head, so everyone can bite me.
    They are getting pretty popular here is the UK, here is one outfit:

http://www.greenhavenwoodland.com/

This would be my preference. That said, If I were to die before my mother I think she would have a very serious problem with me having this type of funeral. And given that she would already, hopefully, be quite unhappy because I was dead, I would not want to put her through the trauma of me having a "heathen" funeral. :D

So for me, how I am buried will depend on whether or not my mother is still around.

MrP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would let my family do whatever they wanted to help their grieving process.

Personally I would love my ashes to be scattered to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I dont really care about the funeral. I wouldnt mind being at my own wake though, either because i knew I was about to die or by means of taxidermy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I want to transport my thoughts, my aspirations, my loves, my hates into a newly constructed robotic human like body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I want to transport my thoughts, my aspirations, my loves, my hates into a newly constructed robotic human like body.
    Would it be an evil newly constructed robitic human like body?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

+1

And then I want to burst through the wall of the church or funeral home or what ever, smash up everyone while shouting "I'M BACKKKKK!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

SDooM wrote: »
    I would let my family do whatever they wanted to help their grieving process.

+1

I don't understand why some atheists insist on no religion, why would you care?

Only a theist should care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

What about donating your body to a medical establishment to help benefit medical research (and/or teaching)? At least that's what I'll be doing. :pac:

[/plug]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No wake. Just burn me and toss my ashes to a good easterly wind. Maybe they will find their way back to Ireland someday. (Sounds like a supporting character from the film "Arthur," ha!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

My two funeral requirements:

1. I want my organs donated to those that need them. I certainly won't.

2. The priest does not say "death is not an end." Let him say anything else but that.

I don't care about anything else in the process. I said a reading at my sister's funeral last year, and I found it easy to keep a straight face when I said "This is the word of the Lord".
    Of course I would rather the whole thing were taken as an occassion for merriment; it is a funeral after all, but this isn't a deal-breaker. They two points above are.
    As to why I should care as I'll be dead, well that is true. But I care right now. It is comforting to me at all times knowing that I have told a lot of people who know me those two things, irrational as that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Donate what I can and have the rest given to science (mind you, they must be desperate if they accept it).
    For the funeral I want four pieces of music played, Transient by Orbital, Highway to Hell by AC/DC, In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin and Wherever You Are by Ulrich Schnauss.
    My ashes, I want mixed into the compost heap and used to fertilize a cannabis plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Phuckmii

I'm going to stay very still :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

stereoroid wrote: »

If you're going to do that you should have a will that says:
    "Dear Kids,
    Sorry my generation buggered up the enviroment so much. Here's a tree, hope it helps" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Whatever pleased my remaining loved ones.

Although I had a weird dream lbefore where I was terminally ill and was shot into space (at my own request I think?) and drifted happily until the time came - that would be cooooooool :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ideally, like most folks here, I'd kinda like to go out with my Atheist guns blazin', and not have any religious element to my demise. I would like to think my family and friends know me well enough to understand that it ain't how I rolled in life, so it's not cool to staple it onto me in death. I don't want to have somebody buy me into the whole absurdity on my behalf, nor do I want the slightest hint that I had some sort of deathbed epiphany. Obviously, I won't be around, so I'm not going to give a crap, but I'd just like to think my significants think enough of me to respect where I stand.

Realistically though, I know that's not going to happen. My family is quite religious, and I really don't think they'd know how to organise a funeral without a religious framework. I'm not going to leave any specific instructions on that score. Obviously, I'm so brilliant that my absence will be traumatic enough without complicating it further.

Other than that, I'd like everybody to be forced to sit through Arcade Fire's Funeral, beginning to end. It's only 47 minutes, it's thematically appropriate, and I will take every opportunity I can get to make people I like listen to that album, because good people deserve awesome music.

F*ck that, I want Arcade Fire there, performing. It'll make people absolutely desperate to get to my funeral, so people who don't know me will think "Wow, people really, really need to mourn that girl, she must have been fantastic." Then everybody will remember me fondly as the girl who gave them an Arcade Fire show they could talk about on boards.ie because that promoter wasn't involved.

It won't be a great show though, by their standards, because obviously they too will keenly feel the terrible loss to the world that my death represents. Still though, it'll be something.

Advertisement