Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when we die?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

When I die, the sky will darken and the Natural History Museum will split asunder. Dawkins will speak to the people from amidst a burning bush and all will huddle in confusion about just what the **** that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As the old saying goes, "I want to die peacefully like my Grandfather in his sleep, not like the passengers screaming in the back seat".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If the believers who knew me felt the need for a mass style thing, to cope, respecting their beliefs, I'd be happy for them too.

The funeral service itself though, should be seperate, a formal ordeal and with respect to the way I lived, however that is implimented, but no prayers etc.

In my case, my family is atheist also, imediate family, so I imagine any funeral will be non-religious.

Hmm, does the church regulate the graveyards? I heard about them trying to prevent suicide burials and "limbo" babies before, but maybe thats just urban legends/what atheist tell their kids to scare them at bedtime/ true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Hmm, does the church regulate the graveyards? I heard about them trying to prevent suicide burials and "limbo" babies before, but maybe thats just urban legends/what atheist tell their kids to scare them at bedtime/ true.

Thats interesting -there was a case in Louth around 10 years back I think where a Parish Priest refused permission for a burial of an unbaptised child. I think it was more related to the county council having officially closing the graveyard and not giving permission for it being opened but I could be wrong.

Suicides and babies get buried in Catholic Ceremonies and have done I think since Vatican II circa 1963 -but it was the case that suicides,executed and the insane were not historically.

I have heard that Prince Michael(Neale) of the Saltees I believe had a dispute with the Church in the 1930s I believe overhis own church attendence as a condition to bury a child and built his own Mausoleum -but I dont know if this is true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

CDfm wrote: »
    does the church regulate the graveyards? I heard about them trying to prevent suicide burials and "limbo" babies before, but maybe thats just urban legends/what atheist tell their kids to scare them at bedtime/ true.
    Well, atheists can tell their kids this scary story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7588035.stm

Good example of cross-border co-operation all the same though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

+1, with a truckload of booze for everyone who comes to see it.

Hell yeah. The actual ceremony of burning the boat will be the culmination of a three-day party in my memory. Everyone gathers on the beach at dawn to push the boat out and set it alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Undergod wrote: »
    Hell yeah. The actual ceremony of burning the boat will be the culmination of a three-day party in my memory. Everyone gathers on the beach at dawn to push the boat out and set it alight.

The zorastrians in india used top put the bodies out for the vultures to pick the bones clean until chemical poisoning killed the birds off.

I wonder what kind of a job seagulls would do asw we have loads of the feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Or sharks.

Advertisement