Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Music-swapping sites to be blocked by internet providers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Nody wrote: »
    I know the skit, it is flawed but then again so is much coming from RIAA et al. The comment still stands though as it is something I keep on seeing in every damn thread how "people are stealing from the music industry". Your was only the last one in the list.

Except mine wasn't related to that at all, which you clearly did not read when you see I explained it as a retarded car analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mathiasb wrote: »
    So you are saying that one downloaded album equals one less album sale for the record company?

Did you even read what you quoted there, or did you just not understand it?

They will probably block google too, since they are linking to allegedly illegal material.

Stop the ridiculous comments, will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

jor el wrote: »
    Did you even read what you quoted there, or did you just not understand it?

Could you stop trying to insult people, and instead if you feel that you are not understood, explain it further / in another way to make your point?

Thanks.

Stop the ridiculous comments, will you?

How is it ridicilous?

TPB links to torrent files.

Google links to torrent files.

Granted, TPB has a tracker. Google does not (afaik).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Do you have to be against piracy to be a mod? or just pretend so as not to taint the image of boards?

towel401 wrote: »
    Do you have to be against piracy to be a mod? or just pretend so as not to taint the image of boards?

How can anyone be for piracy? How can anyone think that everyone should get what they want for free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By this question it would seem you have confirmed that you are actually PRO/FOR piracy....interesting....

I'd suggest that if there is a campaign against eircom blocking sites that you don't join it as you'll only damage the campaigns image, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Neither; though realising that "piracy" is an emergent property of the business model in use and that the way it'll be handled is through new business models might be a useful thing to have in your head...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Could you stop trying to insult people, and instead if you feel that you are not understood, explain it further / in another way to make your point?

Thanks.
    You just proved you're an idiot. Kthxbye.

Irony :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the stupid analagies and bickering aside does anyone know when this will happen, will and when will eircom make a statement?

i see the propaganda has started with a completly one sided report on the rte news today, will probably by repeated on the rte2 news later tonight.

Irony :p

Different people require different responses. What are you adding to this discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads leave off the personal abuse there is no need for it,

Eircom afaik have not made an official statement in relation to telling their userbase, everything up till now has been reported on news sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Isaac702 wrote: »
    So you are saying they are acting as the infrastructure for distributing the file. Ok then here is a question.
    If I burn a DVD with copyrighted content on it and send it to a friend through An Post. Should An Post be shut down just because they act as the distribution method for the trans fare?
    Your second statement stands as well as they also do nothing to prevent there system from being used to infringe copyright.

An post doesn't have a searchable database of what address to connect to, to exchange the copies. The analogy isn't the same.

TBP isn't the distribution method in that sense. If the tracker had a postal address and you used the tracker file to exchange physical DVDs via courier it would be EXACTLY the same. In fact if you used a good courier and enough DVDs per packet exchanged, you could "Torrent" several terabyte a day. With a bulk courier account it would be cheaper than the same amount transferred by internet.

Post or Internet is irrelevant. TPB facilitates those that want to swap files. If you had specially trained pigeons and SD cards and used TPB to route them it would be just the same.

BTW I'm totally against site blocking, Let the IRMA go after sites themselves.

But I'm totally against Piracy and Copyright infringement.

I'm 100% opposed to DRM and believe in "fair use".

And I believe DVDs are a little overpriced and CDs are lot overpriced. Digital Downloads hugely overpriced. I don't believe enough proportion of sales go to Artists. Copyright Infringement nor stupid measures by the Rights Holders won't help anything.

In Ireland you can be sued for Assisting Copyright Infringement, hence the position of Boards.ie and the Moderators on links to warez etc no matter their personal opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

skelliser wrote: »
    the stupid analagies and bickering aside does anyone know when this will happen, will and when will eircom make a statement?
    There is not even a case schedule at this time, when it comes I'd also expect it to be appealed to higher levels (i.e. EU) and until ruled on I highly doubt that Eircom will lift a finger.

Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out if you understood what I said? How you could possibly link my post with me believing that downloading = stealing is beyond me. I don't know how I can make it any clearer.
    How is it ridicilous?

TPB links to torrent files.

Google links to torrent files.

Granted, TPB has a tracker. Google does not (afaik).

TPB hosts torrent files, Google links to sites that host them. Big difference. There is absolutely no mention, anywhere, of anyone blocking Google.

watty wrote: »
    An post doesn't have a searchable database of what address to connect to, to exchange the copies. The analogy isn't the same.

TBP isn't the distribution method in that sense. If the tracker had a postal address and you used the tracker file to exchange physical DVDs via courier it would be EXACTLY the same. In fact if you used a good courier and enough DVDs per packet exchanged, you could "Torrent" several terabyte a day. With a bulk courier account it would be cheaper than the same amount transferred by internet.

Post or Internet is irrelevant. TPB facilitates those that want to swap files. If you had specially trained pigeons and SD cards and used TPB to route them it would be just the same.

Except that the tracker file (torrent?) contains addresses of seeders and leechers, once you have the torrent you don't need the tracker anymore (unless you want new seeders and peers). The tracker doesn't handle any files - just points to whoever has what.

So the tracker doesn't see any files at all. (or, the courier doesn't see any dvds)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

There is not even a case schedule at this time, when it comes I'd also expect it to be appealed to higher levels (i.e. EU) and until ruled on I highly doubt that Eircom will lift a finger.

who is goin to appeal it tho, eircom have said they wont object?

TPB hosts torrent files, Google links to sites that host them. Big difference. There is absolutely no mention, anywhere, of anyone blocking Google.

The torrent files in themselves are not illegal. So, there's nothing illegal about hosting torrent files. (or is it? I have to remember we're talking Irish law here...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Incorrect actually, Google catch would hold the torrent file even after it has been deleted so Google would be fair play (not that anyone would be stupid enough to try) and that would still not resolve the likes of Youtube etc.
    I could see several organisations due to freedom of speech link, then there are lawyers doing a group claim for fame and of course standard collection online for paying for an appeal.

IRMA will put together their case, and bring it to court. eircom say they will not be opposing it. The judge will then weigh up the merits of IRMA's request, and make a decision. This decision will have to be lawful, under Irish and EU laws. Any decision could be appealed to a higher court, by anyone effected by the decision (pretty much everyone).

Incorrect actually, Google catch would hold the torrent file even after it has been deleted

Google cache will have the torrent sites page held, but the content of that page will not be archived. If you look at the cached page of any torrent search, the torrent links in that page are still sourced from the original site.
    The torrent files in themselves are not illegal.

I didn't say they were illegal, I said that was a difference between torrent sites, that host files, and Google, that links to them.

Google cache will have the torrent sites page held, but the content of that page will not be archived. If you look at the cached page of any torrent search, the torrent links in that page are still sourced from the original site.
    I stand corrected, just tried and you're correct (what I get for never using the function before :) ).

I stand corrected, just tried and you're correct (what I get for never using the function before :) ).

I actually checked it before posting too, as I thought you might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The combination of search tool and torrent files absolutely enables users to exchange content easily. That's what TPB exists to do. Therefore under law in most countries and definately in Ireland they deliberately assist in infringing copyright. They make no effort to block searches for copyright material nor block hosting the trackers. Quite the reverse. An Post is not the same thing at all. The point is that the ISPs / Internet / Pidgeons / An Post / Couriers or WHATEVER method Torrents use to exchange the actual information is irrelevent. TPB and similar sites enable the users to "link up" to exchange the data. Without TPB and similar sites a different scheme would have to be developed.

Google doesn't explicity host torrent files nor have a specific real time search of them integrated or not. Google exists to search in general.

There is NO difficulty with finding or even torrenting legitimate content without such sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Cabaal wrote: »
    By this question it would seem you have confirmed that you are actually PRO/FOR piracy....interesting....

I'd suggest that if there is a campaign against eircom blocking sites that you don't join it as you'll only damage the campaigns image, :rolleyes:

if there was an irish version of the pirate party i'd join it

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Thanks.
    Skit

n.
    1. A short, usually comic dramatic performance or work; a theatrical sketch.
    2. A short humorous or satirical piece of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

if there was an irish version of the pirate party i'd join it
    Arrr.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nody wrote:
    But since some people here don't mind I hope they all agree to extend the medical sectors right for recipes to 100 years as well (i.e. no cheap copies of any medicines for 100 years) along with all other sectors; after all buying cheap brands after 10 years is clearly stealing from the medicine company
    Just a reminder that patents last about 20 years but copyright extends 70 years after death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement