Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Didn't Jonathan Ross once give a movie a great review because of a bet with his brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Couldn't tell you Monkey.

Wouldn't surprise me, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Raging Bob

bnt wrote: »
    The Pianist is just finishing on TV - I'd never seen it before.

I wonder if they're showing it to make some point about Roman Polanski, who won a Best Director Oscar for this film? He went for ultra-realism here: no shaky cameras, no big names, no embellishment of the story to appeal to emotion ... basically, the anti-Spielberg. There are some battles, and people are killed, and the main character can only watch. He's no hero, and doesn't save anyone - quite the opposite, since he survives off the kindness of strangers, including some Germans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there not a scene in the film involving a guy in a wheelchair? Facepalm moment right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Just finished watching the remake of Assault on Precinct 13.
    Poor Maria Bello gets a bullet. Shame. I always liked her.

I think the original was more atmospheric and had a better score. Even if all the action did take place in Precinct 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched batman begins last night , only my second time to see it and much for whatever reason , i much perfered it this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

black dynamite

possibly the best movie of the year
    Yup. Mostly amazing.

Just watched Taking Woodstock. Great Ang Lee film about a guy in a small town who inadvertently puts Woodstock into motion. Great bit part from Liev Schrieber and Demetri Martin does a good job as the lead. Perfect for the role. Emile Hirsch has a part in it too, though he's slightly underwhelming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The Penthouse....rubbish, very badly written/acted. Only watched it for Kaley Cuoco....not gonna do her any favours being in this either. April Scott is horny as hell!....beautiful looking girl with a body from hell!

But it's not recomended, i also saw the 2000 movie Here On Earth...Mark Piznarski directing, very very much like A Walk To Remember. Ethan Hawke is in it with LeeLee Sobieski, twas ok....no weeping from me though. Actually the Bruce Greenwood and Anette O'Toole (who played the parents) did a good job in there scenes, but they are experienced/proper actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Just watched this film out on DVD
    It was actually very good and for a change Harrison Ford was very good in it too.

Worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Shadow of Chikara'

A bizarre supernatural 70's western, with Joe Don Baker, Sondra Locke and Ted Neeley in which some Confederate soldiers get hold of a secret location of a cave where Slim Pickens has hidden a stash of diamonds years before.

I remember seeing this on the BBC when I was a kid and I picked it up on e-Bay on video (remember them? :D ).

Anyway, this is one strange flick and has yet to be released on DVD and I don't think it ever will. Although it's not a satisfactory film in a true sense on the word, it holds the attention easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

World's Greatest Dad, watchable and pretty interesting, Robin Williams is excellent in it, but when did he get so old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

skyjacked 1970's pic with hero charton heston facing off against a very young james brolin dad of josh

the final countdown, a modern us warship time travels back to just before pearl harbour and attempts to stop it...

skyjacked 1970's pic with hero charton heston facing off against a very young james brolin dad of josh

the final countdown, a modern us warship time travels back to just before pearl harbour and attempts to stop it...

The premise of that movie was very interesting, seen it recently and a few times before. It was more a vehicle to show off the aircraft carrier though. But the basic concept is solid....a remake might be worthy.

Harpic wrote: »
    Just watched this film out on DVD
    It was actually very good and for a change Harrison Ford was very good in it too.

Worth a watch

Yes, very interesting movie...the Aussie chicks story was the best....her boobs are amazing! :eek:

She's actually an English actress, read some interviews about her nude scenes...the actual film caused a bit of controversy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

Wargames, 1983. UNREAL!

Law Abiding Citizen, wasn't too bad, filler for 1:30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

A Serious Man was good though I wasn't clever/well read enough to get the
    book of job
    reference even though this movie is pretty much a modern version.

Right now I'm watching iRobot, realising exactly how bad it is.

Anyone ever seen Bad Boy Bubby? I suggest not watching it unless you like messed up movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

fatjebus wrote: »
    Wargames, 1983. UNREAL!

Law Abiding Citizen, wasn't too bad, filler for 1:30 mins

Oh man! Dont say thats the first time you've ever seen WarGames! Easily one of my favourite 80's flicks! Oh I gotta go watch that now!!
    The only winning move is not to play! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

I watched Public Enemies recently, bit of a snoozefest to be honest.

Watched Antichrist last night - disturbing and
    just when I thought it had let up the scissors scene occured! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Box = rubbish.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Watched Basic Instinct on Bluray.

Fúcking awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Role Models:

Quite funny actually. I didn't really expect much from it but I enjoyed it. Didn't really like the end. Cheesy and extremely cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That_Guy wrote: »
    Role Models:

Quite funny actually. I didn't really expect much from it but I enjoyed it. Didn't really like the end. Cheesy and extremely cringeworthy.

I thought it was going to be good and ended up disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Have a good run on movies that were all worth a watch

Moon
    Maiden Heist
    The Taking of Woodstock
    Bad Hair (Chris Rock talks about does a documentary about black hair and it's issues)
    Management ( I hate Jennifer Aniston but she is good in this)
    The Tournament
    Pontypool (the premise may be similar to a Monty Python sketch but once you get over that it is good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

Skinfull wrote: »
    Oh man! Dont say thats the first time you've ever seen WarGames! Easily one of my favourite 80's flicks! Oh I gotta go watch that now!!
    The only winning move is not to play! :D

Hahah, god no, but it had been quite the while since I had seen it so was a very good watch..

Have in "in the loop" and "worlds greatest dad" to watch 2nyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Box = rubbish.

Found it an okay watch but it was soooooooo trying to be a Stanley Kubrick film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Found it an okay watch but it was soooooooo trying to be a Stanley Kubrick film.
    It was, and at the start it feels like it might work but once the plot unfolds it goes to stink. Maybe if it actually came out in the 70s it would have been a great film but it just starts digging a hole for itself as far as I'm concerned. I don't like it when my SciFi turns religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

irish_bob wrote: »
    watched batman begins last night , only my second time to see it and much for whatever reason , i much perfered it this time

Defintely reqiures a couple of watches.

Outlander - Very meh tbh. Bored me at some parts. Watchable.

Public Enemies - Got fed up after a bit. Switched it off.

Hurricane - Bloody epic, great performance from Washington. Brilliant.

Heat - Midway through this, never gets old. One of my top films ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe if it actually came out in the 70s it would have been a great film but it just starts digging a hole for itself as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, well we were close to walking out at the hour mark and then it picked up a tad again when ..
    The whole family member has to die because of your selfishness thing was revealed ..

Then I thought, hang on .. maybe there is a point to the last hour of pain I just sat through and that all this monotone dialouge will now make sense.

It didn't :p

Hate to say this to as I have a crush on her but Miss Diaz can't do pain and despair too well.

Also ..

Now I dislike feminists as much as the next guy, but .. :)
    Did you notice how it was the women who kept on pressing the button and so fcuking up everyone's life. Why they might as well just said all the world's problems happen cause women are all money grabbing feckers :)

On a more serious issue, why is Screen 17 in Cineworld always frezzing cold? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched Kind Hearts and Coronets, which is 60 this year. Quite an astonishing film, managing to portray the most horrid murders with some extremely dry humour. Mazzini's voiceover has some of the greatest ironic lines in film history.
    ] I was sorry about the girl, but found some relief in the reflection that she had presumably during the weekend already undergone a fate worse than death.
    I had never been in a building so lavishly-equipped with the instruments of violent death. They seemed, however, ill-adapted to the discreet requirements of 20th-century homicide ...
    I shot an arrow in the air.
    She fell to Earth in Berkeley Square.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

In The Loop: Funny, very watchable.

Moon: Strange film, but not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I watched 'The other boleyn girl' - which was crap. Terrible casting, story and it was just like a bad American made for tv movie.

And 'Last Days' it was surprisingly good, and very hard to describe... beautiful, sad, confusing, disturbing, hard to watch and eerie. It's wonderfully directed and shot.

Let the right one in was awesome, reminiscent of the shining in atmosphere I thought. A nice change from the usual blockbuster vamp film.

Public Enemies I was disappointed with, I really liked Marion Cotillard and Depp was quite good, but Christian Bale was way over the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement