Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I watched Gremlins tonight. I was never a massive fan, but being near christmas, I thought I'd give it a watch.

Gizmo....great little character, the father was very good....but honestly, I didn't care if the young guy was savaged to death or not, by Stripe.

Maybe it's like Krudler said, the older you get, the less you like the teenage 'hero'.

Overall; Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Is gremlins considered a good movie? This is not a sarcastic question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the outlaw josey wales , IMO , clints best film and certainly superior to the IMO unforgiven

Agreed.
    Unfortunately due to the ultra politically correct times we live in, i dont think his style of directing would be given the same freedom of expression granted to him in the 80's & 90's.

A shame really.

interesting how verhoven is actually an ultra liberal who subversiveley parodies hard right politics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

irish_bob wrote: »
    the outlaw josey wales , IMO , clints best film and certainly superior to the IMO unforgiven

Watched that last night. Very good but, too drawn out to be honest...couldn't wait for it to finish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah its one of my favourites too, better than unforgiven alright but TGTB&TU is probably better again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Welcome to the Dollhouse

fantastic film, that doesn't provide a saccharine happy ending, that one usually expects of a film about a suburban kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Law Abiding Citizen: Wasn't great but wasn't terrible. Some of the dialogue was cheesy as hell and Colm Meaney is in it trying to do an American accent but fails miserably.
    It's not a bad way of killing 2 hours though.
    Nearly had a freakin' heart attack when the judge answered her phone and it turned out to be a gun.

Snatch: I thought it was good for the most part. Something bothered me about it though. It seemed to move quite quickly at the beginning and I couldn't really take in the prelude to the story.
    Good film though. Brad Pitt is fantastic in it. Still a little unsure as to what he was saying throughout but sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Seen The Box tonight.

Strange film, bit of a slog to watch but just about worth it.

Average but worth watching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

black dynamite

possibly the best movie of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is gremlins considered a good movie? This is not a sarcastic question.

Consensus: Whether you choose to see it as a statement on consumer culture or simply a special effects-heavy popcorn flick, Gremlins is a minor classic.

Most critics reckon it's a bit of a classic....78% on RT.

KungPao wrote: »
    Most critics reckon it's a bit of a classic....78% on RT.

Yeah the same crowd that gave Titanic 81%!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

red belt was not my cup of tea

The U.S. Air Force Edwards Air Force Base issued the following press release:
    By Airman 1st Class Julius Delos Reyes95th Air Base Wing Public Affairs Walking in a hallway beside a big muscular man at the Rosburg Fitness Center, Kumye Moore, wearing a black jacket and a white pair of pants, looked like a cat beside a lion. With a small stature of five feet, small slanted eyes and a smiling face, she seemed defenseless.
    However, what is hidden inside the diminutive woman is a World Tae Kwon Do Federation fourth Dan black belt instructor.
    Ms. Moore teaches students from ages 4 to 65 about good physical and mental strength. She has been teaching since 1998; first as an assistant instructor at

Air Force Edwards

indough wrote: »
    yeah its one of my favourites too, better than unforgiven alright but TGTB&TU is probably better again

always found good , bad and ugly to be hugely over rated and not near as good as its prequels

Yeah the same crowd that gave Titanic 81%!:D

gremlins is a great fun film and titanic IMO is over demonised like no other film in history

always found good , bad and ugly to be hugely over rated and not near as good as its prequels

that must be just down to your expectations being built up for it or something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I recently bought 6 dvds (2 sets with 3 DVDS in each ya know the type)

Shallow Hal - Funny bits with really touching parts
    When he realises the kids are in the burn unit and the little girl is Cadence

Me, Myself & Irene - Haven't laughed like that is ages. :D

Going to watch There's Something About Mary now and then try and fit in the other films.
    (Braveheart, Tristan&Isolde, Rob Roy)

Seen everything(many many times) apart from Tristan&Isolde so hopefully it will be alright.

indough wrote: »
    that must be just down to your expectations being built up for it or something

your probabley right , i mean what else could explain it :rolleyes:

exactly right

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mayoireland

Did anyone see paranormal activity,what did you think of it?
    I thought it was very good for a film that was made for $15,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Did anyone see paranormal activity,what did you think of it?
    I thought it was very good for a film that was made for $15,000
    Ya grand little movies better than the generic horrors that are being pumped out these days, however after seeing both endings i prefer the original one thats not seen in theatres i just found the theatre one was just throwing in a cheap scare before the end after such a good movie

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mayoireland

any good films you would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

any good films you would recommend
    If you can tolerate subtitles then check out oldboy , city of god, to be honest taste is such an individual thing what are some of your favourites from the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Shoot'em Up, when you add together some of the most ridiculous scenes in cinematic history with a Buggs Bunny carrot eating hero and a baby in a bullet proof vest then you have yourself a good movie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Eagle vs Shark.

gremlins is a great fun film and titanic IMO is over demonised like no other film in history

Yeah for a good reason.
    Before I seen it i thought hey its Cameron its got be a decent enough show but genuinely its the only time ive ever thought he had truly sold out.
    Yes he always had an interest in the whole titanic thing but the sickly sweet mushy love story aimed squarely at teenage girls was totally out of sinc with his usually amazing work & IMO unforgivable.

Id watch Gremlins over the Titanic any day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Pianist is just finishing on TV - I'd never seen it before.

I wonder if they're showing it to make some point about Roman Polanski, who won a Best Director Oscar for this film? He went for ultra-realism here: no shaky cameras, no big names, no embellishment of the story to appeal to emotion ... basically, the anti-Spielberg. There are some battles, and people are killed, and the main character can only watch. He's no hero, and doesn't save anyone - quite the opposite, since he survives off the kindness of strangers, including some Germans.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Pianist is just finishing on TV - I'd never seen it before.

I wonder if they're showing it to make some point about Roman Polanski, who won a Best Director Oscar for this film? He went for ultra-realism here: no shaky cameras, no big names, no embellishment of the story to appeal to emotion ... basically, the anti-Spielberg. There are some battles, and people are killed, and the main character can only watch. He's no hero, and doesn't save anyone - quite the opposite, since he survives off the kindness of strangers, including some Germans. The story is enough to make the film.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

fluke wrote: »
    The Asylum is the name of the company behind that movie and other similar films.
    Ah yes, it's in the opening credits. Watched this last night and I now understand the crying comment from earlier. Really bad. As a movie, it's up there (or down there) with Killdozer. The best bit was how everyone driving (plane, ship, submarine) had to scream "NOOOOOOOO!" even if it was impossible to see what was happening.

I see the Irish actor died in October. Could it have been from shame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Up'

Not the "masterpiece" that Jonathan Ross calimed it was. Good, but missing the beats that made 'Toy Story' so great, unfortunately. On the plus side, it has no annoying songs...thank Christ. Just seemed to me that they were making up the story as they went.

Also got to see 'Der Baader Meinhof Komplex' and that didn't disappoint. Along with 'Doubt', it's easilly the best film I've seen this year and I don't say things like that lightly. If you're going to watch it though, it might be an idea to at least check out the wiki article of the Red Army Faction or Ulrike Meinhof first 'cos the film takes place over a number of years and may be a little difficult to follow, as far as the different members of the group are concerned.

Great stuff though, done in that no-nonsense "anti-Hollywood" German approach to film-making. Straight and serious...no bullshit heroics.

This week, I am movng onto the second series of 'The Sopranos'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement