Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

Watched Star Trek and Harry Brown over weekend. Star Trek I tought was excellent. Well worth a watch. Harry Brown was just OK. Kind of an English version of
    Gran Torino
    . Worth a watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sweetcdimplebum

Ok the movies Iv seen lately that I would reccommend:
    My sister's keeper: truly outstanding....quite emotional but a good watch.
    Marley and Me: Again....it is quite emotional...but it is really an excellent movie!
    Taken: Absolutely brilliant movie...never particularly liked Liam Neeson...but he was absolutely epic in this movie...!!
    Rise of the Footsoldier: Savage film....same kind of voilence as Green Street and Football Factory(also 2 brilliant movies) but its wayy more gorey and voilent!!
    Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanemo Bay: Truly has to be 1 of the funniest movies ever!!! It is funny in a rediculuos way....but its a must see movie...far better than the 1st 1!!
    And last but most certainly not least Ice Age 3: This is definately the "must see" movie of 2009....it is ourtageously funny...and its just sooo gud 2 watch!!! seroiusly good movie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Watched Moon - I didnt like it, not that it was a bad film, just not for me I didnt enjoy it at all.
    The Damned United - Really enjoyed this, I'd recommend it to anyone and it makes you want to delve into the history of Leeds, Derby, and Brian Clough. Michael Sheen was excellent in the lead. My beloved Johnny Giles doesnt come out too good though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sweetcdimplebum

A good Christams movie would definately be The Grinch...Jim Carrey being his usual brilliant self...and The Polar Express....absolutely amazing!!! Also...for some reason Some Like it Hot seems to be an all time Christams movie for me...even though its not really a Christmas movie!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

Taken: Absolutely brilliant movie...never particularly liked Liam Neeson...but he was absolutely epic in this movie...!!

Didn't like this at all. Thought it was one of the most predictable films I've ever seen. It's like you can predict every scene before it happens. Would not recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Last watched Eagle Eye and Wall.E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

monster with charlize theron the other night , phenomenol performance by theron in the lead role in what is otherwise just an ok film

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Watched Law Abiding Citizen.

Quite good until
    the ending ruined it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

irish_bob wrote: »
    monster with charlize theron the other night , phenomenol performance by theron in the lead role in what is otherwise just an ok film

She was excellent! For preparation Theron read hundreds of letters to understand Wuornos afaik. The film's bleak and shocking though but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Yeah have to agree Charlize Theron was brilliant in Monster.
    Everything down to the swagger in her walk,and the tough girl mannerisms(wiping nose swifly with hand etc.),and facial expressions were just perfect.
    The makeup crew did a class job aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Yeah have to agree Charlize Theron was brilliant in Monster.
    Everything down to the swagger in her walk,and the tough girl mannerisms(wiping nose swifly with hand etc.),and facial expressions were just perfect.
    The makeup crew did a class job aswell!

What was amazing too is how she brought Wuornos' desperation to the screen, so easily. Throughly deserved the Academy Award she got.

CharlizeTheronFeb08.jpg

Quite a comparision with her last year and the film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Primer. Brilliant film. Starts slow but once you actually understand whats happening its quality. I especially love how you don't understand what the machine is until the characters do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Road Trip:

I actually thought this was a decent enough "teen" comedy. Predictable enough format, as most comedies of this type follow but I had a few chuckles while watching it.

Rock N Rolla:

Really couldn't help thinking that it was just 'Snatch 2' to be honest. Same type of characters, same similar story to Snatch.
    Not to say that I didn't enjoy it. Some witty dialogue at times and quite funny at times. Gerard Butler was quite good in it too.
    It's not outstanding by any means but is certainly worth a watch imo.
    Oh and the intro titles are typically Guy Ritchie. Love it.

Die Hard 2:

Ah it wouldn't really be Christmas without it. I actually enjoyed this more than the first one to be honest. Straight away there's action and it doesn't let up for the duration of the film. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Defiance:

Pretty decent actually. Very much enjoyed this. Mixes drama and action together very well imo. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Woody Allen's Manhattan again last night. It's beautifully shot, with some images of New York that could be fine art photography.

The story ... Woody Allen is neurotic about relationships, in this case involving both Diane Keaton and a 17-year-old Mariel Hemingway, both of whom tower over Woody in every sense - physically, intellectually, and emotionally. It's beautifully shot, has some of the funniest dialogue I've ever heard, yet Woody didn't like it and tried to get it shelved. Universal Films didn't listen to him and released it anyway, critics loved it, and it won several awards.
    Isaac Davis: Has anybody read that Nazis are gonna march in New Jersey? Ya know? I read it in the newspaper. We should go down there, get some guys together, ya know, get some bricks and baseball bats, and really explain things to 'em.
    Party Guest: There was this devastating satirical piece on that on the op-ed page of the Times, just devastating.
    Isaac Davis: Whoa, whoa. A satirical piece in the Times is one thing, but bricks and baseball bats really gets right to the point of it.
    Party Guest Helen
    : Oh, but really biting satire is always better than physical force.
    Isaac Davis: No, physical force is always better with Nazis.

PS: I can't help thinking the character of Ross, in Friends, was influenced by Woody Allen here - down to the "my ex-wife left me for another woman" aspect. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The Punisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ened up watching "love actually" on the telly the other night.

call me a soppy **** but it really is a very well done film that leaves you feeling good which ya cant complain about.

other than that watched "transformers :revenge of the fallen"

quite enjoyable when you have it on DVD and can skip all the human crap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Lucky number slevin.

I did enjoy it but at the end of the film, i got this kinda of feeling, "look how many twists we have and how many small hints we planted in the film,look how clever we are"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kriskross

Highly Recommended....

Into The West
    North By Northwest
    East is East
    Southern Comfort
    Quackser Fortune has a cousin in the Bronx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

southern comfort the walter hill movie? excellent choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Watched The Black Dahlia last night. What a load of old rubbish in my opinion. How Josh Hartnett got the lead role i'l never know, the constant staring into the distance....whats that about?
    Reminds me of Joey's 'smell the fart face'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched aliens last night , james camerons best film although i have yet to see avatar

get away from her you bitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

irish_bob wrote: »
    watched aliens last night , james camerons best film

eh... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

A Few Good Men, one of Jack's best films.

Taken, great display by Liam Neeson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blade Runner the Final Cut (2007)

A masterpiece of Baroque cinema - if Caravaggio were a lighting camerman this is what his films would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,374 ✭✭✭✭Penn

WALL-E

Brilliant film. Really great. I just finished watching it about half an hour ago and I still can't stop smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just watched "The Boat that Rocked"

Loved it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched "Veronika Wants To die" the other night....with SMG from Buffy, meh...David Thewlis was in it along with Erika Christensen.

mike65 wrote: »
    Blade Runner the Final Cut (2007)

A masterpiece of Baroque cinema - if Caravaggio were a lighting camerman this is what his films would look like.

Que? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Use google

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Use google

No!...just tell me!! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement