Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Transformers 2 was the most OTT boring CG-fest ever released imho. 2.5 hours of self-indulgent drivel. It showed promise at the start, but it was a horrible film. Way too sexy for a kids film.

It is what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

It was subpar, and my par was subterranean:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just finished watching Ruthless People... absolutely hilarious film. So funny. Danny deVito's opening monologue alone is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ezridax wrote: »
    Ahhh, does exactly what it says on the tin. Mega Shark & Giant Octopus.

Where to start? Repeated scenes over and over, army with new equipement (ray bans) the Godawfulness (its a word) of the CGI, the top notch acting (sense the sarcasm) etc, etc.

Seriously my eyes actually started bleeding, until i dragged myself from the couch and ran screaming into the street.

I wasn't expecting miracles but God........ i think i'm actually crying.........:D
    I had to record it, I think I'll need to be really drunk to watch it, so probably the weekend before I see it. There are thousands of horror/creature movies out there, really bad ones. The secret is to view them as comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Private parts

Slow start but a great comedy overall, some very funny moments. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

Makes me want to stream a few of Howard Sterns radio broadcasts, if I could find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

DazMarz wrote: »
    Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (German with English subtitles) is currently showing on Sky Movies Premier.

I strongly recommend you watch this movie; powerful, moving and graphicaly violent movie about the notorious left-wing urban guerilla group the Red Army Faction and their campaign of terror in West Germany in the 1970's. However, if it was attempting to paint the so-called anarchists in a sympathetic light at all, it failed. I was always rooting for the so-called fascists in government (led, ironically, by Bruno Ganz) in their own fight against the R.A.F.

Great movie, but heavy stuff. 9/10

Absolutely incredible film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I had to record it, I think I'll need to be really drunk to watch it, so probably the weekend before I see it. There are thousands of horror/creature movies out there, really bad ones. The secret is to view them as comedy.

what else could one expect from that abomination known as "the asylum"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I watched Coraline last night. It was good but not what I had imagined - it's scary! Couldnt shake the image of Teri Hatcher every time the other mother spoke though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

what else could one expect from that abomination known as "the asylum"
    Sorry, what are you referring to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Paranormal activity.. didnt think much of it..
    and The Hangover.. just now, thought it was absolutely brilliant best film i have seen in a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Sorry, what are you referring to? :confused:

The Asylum is the name of the company behind that movie and other similar films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just watched Law Abiding Citizen, mindless tripe but watchable.

Honestly wasn't as bad as I thought but was absolutely perposterous and some terrible, terrible dialogue.
    The fact that nobody could figure out, despite Butler constantly on about "10 years in my head", that he had planned all his tactics BEFORE going to jail.

And him digging a hole to every solitary cell in prison took the biscuit!

A forgettable movie but turn yer brain off and it's watchable. I've never liked Jamie Foxx and this changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Just watched Law Abiding Citizen, mindless tripe but watchable..

There were two french lesbians at the one I went to. Much more interesting than what was happening on screen.

Junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

OutlawPete wrote: »
    There were two french lesbians at the one I went to. Much more interesting than what was happening on screen.

Junk.

Butch or the type that would ram odd things up each other? :P

Meh, it was junk but I've watched a hell of a lot worse in the past few weeks.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Butch or the type that would ram odd things up each other? :P

Meh, it was junk but I've watched a hell of a lot worse in the past few weeks.

They were like supermodels and french kissed for nearly the whole movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just watched Total Recall on itv 2. Another super violent sci-fi gore fest from Paul Verhoeven. Great stuff.
    Didnt get a great reception when it was released in US cinemas in 1990. Probably because they were too thick to get the plot.

Theres talk about a remake!!

Y tu mamá también. Incredibly sexually explicit, coming-of-age tale from Mexico, starring Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna.

Great movie, that is truthful and touching, while also at times hilarious. The performances are also top notch (Bernal and Luna being best friends in real life might help) and the cinematography that captures the rugged Mexican landscape is nothing short of beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched "wassup rockers" the other night. i'm not sure about this one. some of the stuff is brilliant, his caricatures of social groups and film flow is great but the main protagonists are pretty shocking to be honest, and his actor direction is just god awful. much preferred kids and another day in paradise.

also watched crank 2- top class- laughed constantly. very impressed with both in this series, they really didn't take themselves seriously and the whole thing works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Black Dynamite, funniest movie of the year without a doubt, "I'm sorry I pimp slapped you into that china cabinet" may be the line of the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Just watched Total Recall on itv 2. Another super violent sci-fi gore fest from Paul Verhoeven. Great stuff.
    Didnt get a great reception when it was released in US cinemas in 1990. Probably because they were too thick to get the plot.

Theres talk about a remake!!

totall recall rocks , paul verhoven is one of a kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Watched Gerard Butlers latest two.

Law Abiding Citizen.
    I dont get what all the hating is about. I went expecting people to get killed and stuff blowing up and thats what I got. It was never going to be a Schindlers List or Godfather film. It is what it is.
    "Chewing gum for the eyes" as Ted says.

Gamer.
    Meh.......................... That's all I can say.

Seen a french film tonight in The Lighthouse called ..

'Today Is The First Day Of The Rest Of Your Life'.

One of th greatest films I have ever seen. Top 20 for sure.

Loved it, it is supreb. Just go see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

irish_bob wrote: »
    totall recall rocks , paul verhoven is one of a kind

Agreed.
    Unfortunately due to the ultra politically correct times we live in, i dont think his style of directing would be given the same freedom of expression granted to him in the 80's & 90's.

A shame really.

Was on an all-night film binge last night/this morning:

-Goldeneye: Pierce Brosnan's first outing as 007, and he pulls it off admirably. One of my favourite Bond flicks.

-Tomorrow Never Dies: Brosnan's second outing as Bond, not as good as the above, but still entertaining nonsense as all Bond movies are.

-Underworld: Evolution: Entertaining romp through vampires/werewolves/hybrids with Kate Beckinsale in tight leather trousers...

-Frost/Nixon: he's played Blair, Clough, Frost, werewolves and a Roman Emperor amongst other things. Michael Sheen is superb as Frost in this electric movie surrounding the infamous Nixon Interviews.

-Eden Lake: chilling, but at times frustratingly stupid, horror set in the back woods of Britain. A bunch of chavs menace a young couple. But the stupidity and spinelessness of the couple can grate, and it's violence can be incredibly OTT at times, but entertaining stuff at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never paid much attention to it when it was on the telly, but now I have all 6 (and a bit) series of 'The Sopranos' and have started on that. Good stuff so far, but a little slow building in parts.

Junior's my fave :D

Also, going to watch 'Der Badder Meinhof komplex' tomorrow night. looks good that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Hana and Alice

awesome sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just finished watching Zulu on blu ray. The film was brilliant as ever, but was enhanced by a cracking picture transfer and likewise for sound.

Looks as good as a modern film despite being 45 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Just watched Ferris Bueller's day off.

Gets better every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Just watched Ferris Bueller's day off.

Gets better every time.

I was talking about this the other day with a mate, the older you get, the less you like that movie, when you're a teen Ferris is a hero, sticking it to the man, now I'm nearly 30 he's an obnoxious little ****, I root for Rooney when i watch it these days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

krudler wrote: »
    I was talking about this the other day with a mate, the older you get, the less you like that movie, when you're a teen Ferris is a hero, sticking it to the man, now I'm nearly 30 he's an obnoxious little ****, I root for Rooney when i watch it these days :D

I'll be a wannabe ferris for many a year to come :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement