Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm usually not one for picking out single words but...

Linear?

It follows a straight line and doesn't do anything special to stray from it. I quickly became bored watching it even though I was really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Downloaded and watched Get the Gringo today. An alright film, wouldnt recommend going to cinema to see it. Hold onto you €9 or €10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It follows a straight line and doesn't do anything special to stray from it.

Your second point, fair enough. But I still think criticising a film for being linear is criticising one of the most basic forms of storytelling. Just seems like a very, very bizarre observation to me. How many thousands of other films are linear? Is a film automatically superior because it's non-linear? If you don't like the film, that's a perfectly acceptable stance. But I think there are far more convincing flaws than a film's linearity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Possesion

Gwynth Paltrow, Lena Headey, Aaron Eckhart, Jeremy Northam

Bit of a slow burner

Two researchers/museum staff trying to track down letters for a love story for a long dead famous poet

Oh it's not for everyone, very slow but pretty interesting. I like the cast though none of them are stretched or asked to do much

Though the film was decent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe he means linear in a sense of "predictable". Like some films are constructed that you know what the plot'll be very quick and you're not happy about it.

Watched Liam Neeson's The Grey. It's about a group of blue collar workers crashing their plane in the middle of nowhere in the freezing snow and are hunted by a pack of wolves. As always Liam Neeson is very strong and the film kept my attention the whole way through. I enjoyed the banter between the survivors during moments of calmness. The futility and drive and emotions felt in the situation are all touched on, but it's not heavy. And you'll pick up some survival tips too, which I always enjoy. Nothing groundbreaking but it's an interesting movie. I'd recommend checking it out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Tindie wrote: »
    Yeah, it was of weaker Found footage movie but over last fews years, I seen a lot worst, Such as The haunted House Project, The Amityville Haunting , Gacy House, The Collingswood Story , Ragini MMS and The Devil Inside , i would rate Tape 407 higher then those i just listed!, I would not recommend it!

I Would recommend you Emergo (2011) really good movie, i would have gave it 9 out of 10 but the last scenes of the movies ruins the whole feel of the movie, I Hated the very last scenes in this movie. 7 out of 10

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out. Haven't seen any off the other movies you listed but sounds like I should stay clear out them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This week I saw:

The Blues Brothers (Jameson Film Club Screening) - Had never seen it before and though it wasn't entirely my cup of tea, the screening was sensational. Had scenes re-enacted in front of you at the same point in the movie you were watching.

Dark Shadows - A disappointing, uneven mess. Great production design but far too many meandering subplots.

The Raid - Enormous fun. Extremely well paced and featured incredibly imaginative fight scenes. A must-watch for any action fans.

The Dictator - A big return to form after Bruno and though I imagine it won't be to everyone's tastes (it's even more offensive than Borat), I had a lot of fun. A few clunker lines but you have to admire Sacha Baron Cohen's commitment to getting a laugh, no matter how guilty audiences will feel seconds later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

16 Blocks

Mos Def - character's voice was rather irritating
    Bruce Willis - pretty good as the drunk cop, quiet, no shades of John McClane, really
    David Morris - leader of The Corrupt Bunch of Pricks. Good, but not given a great deal to work with. Forgot his name pretty quickly.
    Decent enough pacing, a relatively compact film. Takes time out from the action, but the action and the ticking clock are the weakest aspects of the film.

Doesn't do anything exceptional, kinda goes awry in the final third as these things are inclined to do.

Bonus point for Bruce Willis with hair. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

This week I saw:
    The Raid - Enormous fun. Extremely well paced and featured incredibly imaginative fight scenes. A must-watch for any action fans.

Can I ask where you saw the film "The Raid"? It looks really good from the trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 junk_seller

the boxer on itv4 last night , never saw it before , not usually a fan of jim sheridan but i thought this was one of his better efforts , gerad mc sorley is a fantastic irish actor , better known as tod umptious in fr ted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Can I ask where you saw the film "The Raid"? It looks really good from the trailers.

It was a press screening at the Lighthouse Cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The Rebound. Words can't describe how bad this this film is. 0/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

16 Blocks

Mos Def - character's voice was rather irritating
    Bruce Willis - pretty good as the drunk cop, quiet, no shades of John McClane, really
    David Morris - leader of The Corrupt Bunch of Pricks. Good, but not given a great deal to work with. Forgot his name pretty quickly.
    Decent enough pacing, a relatively compact film. Takes time out from the action, but the action and the ticking clock are the weakest aspects of the film.

Doesn't do anything exceptional, kinda goes awry in the final third as these things are inclined to do.

Bonus point for Bruce Willis with hair. :pac:

Morse, not Morris. Good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Station Agent, nice little movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched The White Ribbon tonight. A captivating and unsettling German film set just before the start of WW1. Some of the best child performances I've seen in a film.

It's the second Michael Haneke film I've seen (I inherited The Piano Teacher on dvd when a friend of mine told me to take it from him as he never wanted to see it ever again in his life! I wasn't quite as affected by it :pac:)

I'll definitely be checking out some more of his work. Fab stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

The life of David Gale .

Never seen it before i thought it was great .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

That_Guy wrote: »

Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Journey: Really interesting documentary about how the puppeteer came to be on the set of Sesame Street and embody the much loved Elmo puppet.

Very light hearted and well worth a watch. It's quite short but it's not so short that you feel like you've missed out on anything. Very enjoyable.

Is this in the cinema or out on dvd? Dying to see it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I watched The American last night. Didn't think very much of it. Clooney's good, but that's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Sherlock 2 game of shadows, enjoyable but not as good as the first movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Days of Being Wild - one of the earlier Wong Kar-Wai joints. You can see a lot of the foundations for his style laid here - a humid, sweaty atmosphere, romantic melodrama, multiple protagonists, the odd burst of violence. It isn't as instantly compelling as something like Chungking Express (still my litmus test of Kar-Wai films) and he hasn't yet over-indulged in voiceovers or pop music soundtracks. But there's a really interesting film in here even if it's occasionally somewhat of a tough slog. The performances are strong, especially Andy Lau as charismatic asshole and a gorgeous young Maggie Cheung. Christopher Doyle shoots a lot of the film in intimate, hypnotic close-up. And the symbolism and (melancholic) thematic focus of memory, nostalgia and time are handled surprisingly well. Definitely not as instantly infectious as his best films, but rewarding for those who stick with it.

• Advertisement

saw bits of the beach last night with leo di caprio , has got to be one of the worst films ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

saw bits of the beach last night with leo di caprio , has got to be one of the worst films ever made
    I'm assuming that you've seen the entire film before rather than just basing that opinion on those "bits" that you saw last night?

I'm assuming that you've seen the entire film before rather than just basing that opinion on those "bits" that you saw last night?

yeah , saw it in the cinema when it came out , was dragged to it :mad:

it probabley could have been decent with the material on offer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Chronicle
    3 guys find an unexplained power source & develop Jedi like powers.
    It's a handheld camera film with a twist on the genre.
    It was good but with limitless possibilities it could have been so much more.
    I liked it, 6.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Odessa File - really enjoyable film, Jon Voight is very convincing!

Get The Gringo/How I Spent My Summer Vacation - I liked it, funny and entertaining, pretty much the Mel Gibson we grew up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Woman in Black

Awful film that relied on the old loud noise to make you jump trick too much. I found it really boring with a stupid unoriginal story.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Safe: Was hoping to see 'Dark Shadows' but unfortunately it sold out so opted to go for this instead. Dodgy American accents aside from Mr. Statham, it was a pretty decent action film. Some good set pieces and enjoyable action sequences made for a pretty entertaining 90 mins.

It's instantly forgettable and contains some abysmal acting but it's pretty good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Get The Gringo/How I Spent My Summer Vacation - I liked it, funny and entertaining, pretty much the Mel Gibson we grew up with![/QUOTE]

I thought it was a pretty watered down version of Mel Gibson in his pomp.

Although it was fairly entertaining but the plot was very lightweight, the character development was wafer thin and the stereotyping of all of the mexican characters (lazy corrupt cops, plucky down on her luck mother, pimps & gangsters etc etc) was rife.

6 out of 10 would be generous, there were a few laughs and some visually appealing scenes but Gibson is nowhere near as edgy as he was in Lethal Weapon at the height of his powers, don't go searching for any intricately developed characters or twists and turns in the plot. You'll see it all coming a mile away !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

another earth

Those expecting mucho decent science fiction (like
    myself) maybe disappointed with this little gem.

But I wasn't. The other earth takes very much a back story
    in what is a fascinating tale of suffering and (possible) redemption.

The ending though will give you more of a "For f*cks sake!" rather
    than a "Wow!"

But there's still tons of food for thought in there.

I liked it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement