Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Exiled...Good Chinese action movie that I'd recommend. wasn't the best I've ever seen but story/acting/characters/shooting/etc were all at the very least satisfactory.
    Just noticed it's a revisit to characters in another movie, so gonna watch that next.

Moneyball.....just watched this...I've been putting it off for ages...for some reason??...loved it....I didn't find it over melodramatic, as sometimes happens with these Hollywood/ American pride movies....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

barone wrote: »
    yippee kiyayeeeee

remember the game well
    great if you have a turbo pad, that handgun became an automatic rifle :D

still a great film and a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

get the gringo good film
    bad ass film inspired by a youtube video like machete, i enjoyed it
    21 jump street had some funny bits and some stupid bits but worth a watch
    gone baby gone with morgan freeman, alot better than i thought with a good story line

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Losers: The first five minutes were quite decent and I had high hopes for it.. It quickly went very downhill. Story is all over the place and there is very little explanation as to why these things are happening.

It's a cluster fúck of a film and I really didn't enjoy it bar the first 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Watched The Ice Storm on TG4 last night. Pretty good movie, watched a few minutes and i was hooked on the characters.

Even made me stay up past my bedtime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thank You For Smoking

A very, very good comedy with brilliant dialogue and excellent performances from all involved. Eckhart is brilliant as the confident, quick talking, savvy lobbyist.

Had seen it before but enjoyed it more upon seeing it a second time.

Would highly recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it.

Thank You For Smoking

A very, very good comedy with brilliant dialogue and excellent performances from all involved. Eckhart is brilliant as the confident, quick talking, savvy lobbyist.

Had seen it before but enjoyed it more upon seeing it a second time.

Would highly recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Finally got around to seeing Avengers, not even ashamed to say I was like a kid with a big goofy grin and wide eyes haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Super 8 is nothing like The Goonies except there are some kids in it. It doesn't have a distinct Goonies feeling at all. Super 8 is a rubbish film with crap characters, a stupid train crash that makes no sense, no humour, becomes really boring and linear and has a terrible ending. I'm sick of everyone comparing it to The Goonies (my favourite film) when the only thing it has in common is that Spielberg had a hand in both.

Super 8 is not terribly far from being a remake of ET. Of course it has lots of similarities with the Goonies and has echoes of Stand by Me too.

Thats not to say for one second that its a patch on any of them.

It's very unoriginal, but its been so long since those movies that I kinda enjoyed the flavour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Charlie Casanova.

Nah. It strives to be confrontational and edgy but it's just boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Just watched the girl with the dragon tattoo (David Fincher) and thought it was superb. I got the trilogy as a gift but have yet to watch any. Does anyone know is it Fincher's intention to remake the trilogy or even the studio who made this?

rednik wrote: »
    Just watched the girl with the dragon tattoo (David Fincher) and thought it was superb. I got the trilogy as a gift but have yet to watch any. Does anyone know is it Fincher's intention to remake the trilogy or even the studio who made this?

There are plans for Sony to continue the series but Fincher's involvement is unknown at this stage. I imagine that if he was to return we wouldn't see a follow up for a few years as he has spoke about a few other projects he wants to tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I watched Snowtown the other night, you shouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - as a Duplass Brothers fan, I felt disappointed by this. The first half is very funny and charming: what you'd expect from the duo. But the second half indulges in their very worst sentimental urges. There's some emotional moments, and the acting is strong from pretty much everyone involved. But it all feels frivolous and a bit pointless. Not that I'd say their previous efforts (Puffy Chair, Baghead and Cyrus) were ever the stuff of high insight either, but they felt more honest and believable than this. Very funny at its best, cheesy at its worst: the strength of the performances / likability of the characters, first-half laughs and some of the underlying but under-explored themes of coincidence / fate make it just about worthwhile. But it's too sentimental in spite of its good intentions and occasionally infectious charm. A film one might want to love, but I struggled to forgive its over-indulgences and eventual slightness.

What was with all the sudden camera zooms, actually? Worked really well a few times, but kind of got distracted by it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I sat down to watch Kill List over the weekend after hearing all the hype online and from some friends (whose taste and opinions I value). The only positives I could take from the film were firstly its running time of just over an hour and a half, and that people weren't lying when they said how violent a film it is.

In short I thought the story was terrible and so jumpy at certain points that it didn't make sense (I felt like they mashed two different films together -
    at first I thought the film was going down the route of a killer out for vengance against the "scum" of society
    ). The script was so bad it almost wasn't present. Same goes for the acting. I can't put my finger on a specific reason, but I didn't like any of the characters either (granted, they aren't exactly likeable). I'm not a fan of Neil Maskell at all, so chances are he put me off the film a little.

In all, the film definitely lives up to the hype surrounding its use of ultra-violence. However, I feel like I'm missing something as I can't understand how so many people love this film. I thought it was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

At best I'm hoping this is a pleasant surprise, it can't possible be worse than Spider-Man 3 anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Lars and the real girl-a superbly played and written film that's both hilarious in parts and touching when it matters without being saccharine.

Blue valentine-a wonderful film but heartbreaking too.

Crazy stupid love- funny popcorn flick.

stay-mindbending. two thumbs up definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

A few random films that are worth a watch

Frailty - Decent Thriller, well worth a watch even though Matthew McConaughey is in it.

11:14 - One of the few films worth watching on the Irish Netflix.

Dead Mans Shoes - Only caught the end of it on Film 4 the other night, great film I must watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

david75 wrote: »
    Lars and the real girl-a superbly played and written film that's both hilarious in parts and touching when it matters without being saccharine.

Blue valentine-a wonderful film but heartbreaking too.

Crazy stupid love- funny popcorn flick.

stay-mindbending. two thumbs up definitely.

Ryan Gosling binge? :P

I watched a good documentary on the American education system - Waiting for Superman. It was well made and very touching.

Also watched Never Let Me Go and thought it was kinda boring, I usually like those kinda films but this one just didn't strike a chord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Red State - Awful

I saw the devil - Awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched Alien and Aliens over the last two nights. Fantastic stuff.
    Looking at the Prometheus has got me in the mood to watch these again. I can see where some of the stuff overlaps between it and the other two films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Van

Not entirely sure what that ending was about

Was ok but have seen better from Roddy Doyle

Worth watching all the same

:D
    "What do you want"
    "World peace"
    "You're barred"

david75 wrote: »

Brilliant film, would recommend highly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Man on a ledge

Watched this last night. Wasn't expecting much to much tbh and thats what I got.
    Probably worth a watch if you have nothing better to do.
    Best part was probably Genesis Rodriguez in her underwear.

5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Kolido wrote: »
    Man on a ledge

Watched this last night. Wasn't expecting much to much tbh and thats what I got.
    Probably worth a watch if you have nothing better to do.
    Best part was probably Genesis Rodriguez in her underwear.

5/10

I watched it, really underwhelming. Heist movies are my favourite type and it was ****e to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Super 8 is nothing like The Goonies except there are some kids in it. It doesn't have a distinct Goonies feeling at all. Super 8 is a rubbish film with crap characters, a stupid train crash that makes no sense, no humour, becomes really boring and linear and has a terrible ending. I'm sick of everyone comparing it to The Goonies (my favourite film) when the only thing it has in common is that Spielberg had a hand in both.

I agree. The only comparison to the Goonies I can see is that its about a bunch of kids. I also thought it was incredibly boring with generic annoying characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I caught How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Get the Gringo) earlier today. I was expecting it to be poor and I was only going to see it with a friend as he was pretty keen on it. Turns out I actually enjoyed it.

Mel Gibson plays a criminal who is arrested as he crosses the from the US into Mexico and is thrown into a Mexican prison. This particular prison resembles a small town rather than your standard prison and is ruled by the richer prisoners. I thought the prison setting was excellent, and its workings were what interested me most throughout the film. The plot is simple but solid, and the acting is decent and a mention should go out to the excellent Kevin Hernandez, who plays the role of a kid who befriends Mel.

It's a good film overall, nothing too mentally exhausting but quite enjoyable. Unfortunately for some technical reason in the cinema, the sound cut out for the last twenty minutes - not the films fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Losers: The first five minutes were quite decent and I had high hopes for it.. It quickly went very downhill. Story is all over the place and there is very little explanation as to why these things are happening.

It's a cluster fúck of a film and I really didn't enjoy it bar the first 5 mins.

I loved this scene in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Varsity Blues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Blues_(film)

Would be a guilty pleasure of mine, just a good old fashioned, feel good, all comes right in the end film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Watched Everything Must Go last night. Will Ferrell in a straight role, I really enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction so I gave this a watch.

It was a slow burner but kind of enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement