Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Terri - Watched this a couple of weeks ago, really loved it, picture was fantastic and also the sound, great innocent storyline which was both funny and moving in places.

John C. Reilly is becoming a fav actor of mine.

7.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

Warper wrote: »
    Oh god no, my worst cinematic experience of the year. I walked after bout 45 mins - truly awful self-indulgent crap that serves no purpose. Give me Melancholia anyday.

Please explain to me what you gained from this "masterpiece"?

Haven't seen Melancholia yet.

From watching this film I felt a renewed sense of vigour and hope in the true potential and possibilites of cinema. Simply put this film made me feel in a way that conventional film experiences very rarely do. It powerfully illustrated to me that film can merge and explore so many concepts, feelings, intellectual and philosophical abstractions and convey them in an immediate, engulfing manner.

Malick has the heart and soul of a poet; he leaves it there on the screen. I understand why so many can't stand it, but to me his work is timeless, achingly beautiful, resonant and ultimately mysterious, frustrating and profound, like creation itself. That's why I love it. It's not perfect, just like the lives of the people in it, the director himself and the people who watch it. And that's why it's a masterpiece. I'm telling you, we need more flicks like this in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Haven't seen Melancholia yet.

From watching this film I felt a renewed sense of vigour and hope in the true potential and possibilites of cinema. Simply put this film made me feel in a way that conventional film experiences very rarely do. It powerfully illustrated to me that film can merge and explore so many concepts, feelings, intellectual and philosophical abstractions and convey them in an immediate, engulfing manner.

Malick has the heart and soul of a poet; he leaves it there on the screen. I understand why so many can't stand it, but to me his work is timeless, achingly beautiful, resonant and ultimately mysterious, frustrating and profound, like creation itself. That's why I love it. It's not perfect, just like the lives of the people in it, the director himself and the people who watch it. And that's why it's a masterpiece. I'm telling you, we need more flicks like this in the world.

+1

It annoys me that people who don't get it resort to the typical lazy "it's pretentious" remark without offering any worthwhile critique

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

The Warrior.....

Loved it..even tho I felt a few liberties were taken to move the story along, but it defo provided some exciting moments and a decent story. Oh yeah and good fight scenes....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Is a director being self-indulgent such a bad thing? :confused:

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    Is a director being self-indulgent such a bad thing? :confused:

Hitchcock made a brief cameo in so many of his films so no, I don't think self indulgence makes any difference really, unless of course your film is absolute pants or you're someone like Tarantino who has to actually speak too. Thank God he grew out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Rare Exports - I have to say I was quite disappointed. I thought there wasn't much effort put into development of the father son relationship and everything was quite rushed (you'd know it grew out of a short film). I didn't like the son's uber heroicness either. That's grand in a kids film but here it just felt out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The Thing (2011)
    I loved the original. In fact I class it as one of my favorite movies of all time.
    But I really enjoyed this. I wasnt expecting much and figured it to be yet another remake/prequel movie torn to shreds by hollywood. But they took care with it. You definitively notice the writers indeed watched the 1982 thing movie.

Of course its not as good as the original. But for Hollywood standards this is pretty good :) Best way to describe it is that it stays true.

Dont look at the following until you see it as it will spoil all:::
    Sure it may "borrow" things from the original but it sets out pretty much every thing that you see and learn about the Norge camp from the original movie. From the two faced remains MaCready and Doc find, to the Norge shooting the dog at the start of the original (a very nice piece of writing there as to why he was never speaking english) ... only thing that was not forfilled was the explosion of the spacecraft :confused:

Why do people remake classics? I haven't watched the latest one, and I never will because Carpenters' The Thing is one of the truly great horror films and there's no point.

Remake ****e films, that's the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

LighterGuy wrote: »
    The Thing (2011)
    I loved the original. In fact I class it as one of my favorite movies of all time.
    But I really enjoyed this. I wasnt expecting much and figured it to be yet another remake/prequel movie torn to shreds by hollywood. But they took care with it. You definitively notice the writers indeed watched the 1982 thing movie.

Of course its not as good as the original. But for Hollywood standards this is pretty good :) Best way to describe it is that it stays true.

Dont look at the following until you see it as it will spoil all:::
    Sure it may "borrow" things from the original but it sets out pretty much every thing that you see and learn about the Norge camp from the original movie. From the two faced remains MaCready and Doc find, to the Norge shooting the dog at the start of the original (a very nice piece of writing there as to why he was never speaking english) ... only thing that was not forfilled was the explosion of the spacecraft :confused:

I really can't believe that someone enjoyed this mess. If you liked the original it just doesn't make sense that this remake doesn't make you very angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Toppy

Milk. really fantastic film with some incredible performances, Penn, Hirsch and Luna to name a few. very inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - I enjoyed it but it's full of plot holes (
    baby monkey not discovered until mom dies, James Franco's boss somehow outrunning the monkeys
    ) and basically an animal rights propaganda film. John Lithgow was miscast and his acting was terrible, 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

The help.
    It was very good and well worth a watch.emma stone is in it what more do you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Warrior last night

Fairly cheesy but was expecting it - at the same time they didn't completely overdo it, the commentators were the only thing about it that annoyed me slightly.

Loved Tom Hardy in it - he's on scary fúcker!! :eek: Can't wait to see him as Bane - this movie has reinforced my belief that he's going to nail that role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Why do people remake classics? I haven't watched the latest one, and I never will because Carpenters' The Thing is one of the truly great horror films and there's no point.

Remake ****e films, that's the way to do it.
    The true classic version was made in 1951.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Warrior - Jesus what a ****ing incredible movie. Instant classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched two yesterday at a mates.

Captain American. Brain dead fluff that was mildly entertaining. Didn't expect much from it but was entertained.

Conan (the new version), what a dreadful steaming pile of cow manure that was. Again like with Captain America I wasn't expecting much but this was a lot more dire than I could have even imagined. A complete mess of a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I really can't believe that someone enjoyed this mess. If you liked the original it just doesn't make sense that this remake doesn't make you very angry.

Depends of how you view the new one before seeing it.
    It was never going to be anything compared to the original. Hollywood remakes usually disgrace a franchise. That saying, the movie could of been a hell of a lot worse. The film makers at least watched the original. They at least tried to stay true to what was in the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Watched "Life in a Day" earlier.

The concept is interesting. People all around the world were invited to film their lives over one day in July. 80,000 people from 129 countries submitted 4,500 hours of footage and it was all edited into a 90 minute film.

But that's more or less where the interest ends. In reality, it's just a collection of shots of people going through their daily routines - from breaking eggs & taking a piss in the morning, to going to bed at night.

I got as far as "lunch time", lost all interest & turned it off.

Nice idea, nicely edited, just not very engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sidekick!

50/50-

This movie is brillant. Funny but not over the top and really deals with the subject matter from a new angle.

Warrior
    A New Classic.

Both films make the dark knight rises unmissable as tom hardy and Joseph gordon levitt put in brillant shows in both films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Blackout (2008)

Blackout (IV) (2008) this morning, not to be confused with other movie( Blackout (2008) Director: Jukka-Pekka Siili)

This Blackout (2008) was Director: Rigoberto Castañeda!

Three people from different walks of life find themselves trapped inside a stalled elevator. What at first seems like an inconvenience rapidly escalates into a nightmare.

I enjoyed the movie Devil, which came out two years after this movie, I thought I would enjoy this movie as well and I did !

It was really good movies (it's not a horror movie at all but more of a Thriller ) this movie is really entertaining and really good intense moments in this movie and acting from short cast was surprisingly good, much better then thought they would be.

The Downside of the movie

The First half movie was really well made, it was tad realistic but second half movie went in slightly different way, which change the tone of the movie a bit. which I did not like at all.

And the end had some really Poor CGI effects (which don't normal bother me), in this movie, its just looks total out of place. 5 out 10 Good movie

If you liked Devil you should give this a watch! (I think Devil a slight bit better then this movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The Ring - Decent watch. Not a terribly scary film but it does keep you wondering what's going to happen next.

Catch Me If You Can - Great film & incredible story. Hanks was fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched escape from La earlier today

terrible, awesome.. so terrible it's awesome.. so awesome it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Watched Stakeland........meh! Like a TV version of The Road mixed with the TV version of The Walking Dead. With a dash of might of the living dead. Had no direction.
    On the other hand watched warrior which was great apart from the usual americanisms.

The thing. Thought it was okay. Lacked the suspense and feeling of the 82 version.

50/50 Was good all . Handled the topic with class and no tear jerking for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Raging Bull.

Probably invoking a firestorm here but here's goes, while it has great direction, acting and production, it is really really boring. I had high hopes for it as many consider it brilliant I was sorely disappointed. It barely held my interest as I plodded through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Saw The Thing (2011). Shockingly bad Syfy channel fodder especially given the canvas they had to work on. For the 1st 15 mins or so I thought it was going to be really good then it just fell apart. Just another tragic waste of great material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Raging Bull.

Probably invoking a firestorm here but here's goes, while it has great direction, acting and production, it is really really boring. I had high hopes for it as many consider it brilliant I was sorely disappointed. It barely held my interest as I plodded through it.

I have to agree. Was very disappointed with it the first time I saw it a couple of years back. Haven't watched it a second time yet. Maybe I should give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I have to agree. Was very disappointed with it the first time I saw it a couple of years back. Haven't watched it a second time yet. Maybe I should give it another go.

I can't see myself parting with two hours to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Elf :p
    The Deep Blue Sea
    My Week With Marilyn

Elf was my first seasonal film of the year. It's possibly the best Christmas film since The Muppet Christmas Carol. And it's got Zooey Deschanel singing in the shower. :D

In relation to the other two, I find myself agreeing almost 100% with the usually contrary Cosmo Landesman in today's Sunday Times. He doles out two and three stars, respectively.
    Both films have very good central performances by the two leads (Rachel Weisz is excellent), but the pace is glacial in the former (in the usual Terence Davies style) and the underlying problem with the latter is that (despite its supposed authenticity) the entire premise is dubious, to say the least.
    Michelle Williams is very good though, and it's nice to see someone play Marilyn without restorting to the cliche "whispering little girl voice" that has become the default depiction, beloved of many a mediocre TV movie.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

50/50
    it was brilliant.very well acted very touching and a great soundtrack.i highly recommend it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement