Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Our Idiot Brother: Didn't really enjoy this at all. Thought Paul Rudd played his character brilliantly but I didn't think it was overly great. I did laugh when
    they're at the party and the guy and girl are in bed with Ned.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

ESPN show some great movies for sports fans. Can be shown at funny times so Sky plus may be required. Recently watched:

The Dotted Line: an in-dept look at what it takes to become a big-time sports agent in the U.S
    Catching Hell - a documentary style movie about how a Chicago White Sox fan became the most hated man in Chicago for interfering with a ball in play during a 2003 Divisional Championship game. Brilliant doc with tragic consequences for the White Sox.
    Once Brothers - Story about how political circumstances beyond their control tore 2 exceptional and talented Yugoslavian basketball players apart. Definitely recommend and actually available on You Tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

duckysauce wrote: »
    just watched it once you cut through the cheese its very good :D, Tom Hardy is excellent as usual

he's built like a brick sh1thouse in it isnt it, bodes well for him playing Bane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

krudler wrote: »
    he's built like a brick sh1thouse in it isnt it, bodes well for him playing Bane.

i read somewhere he's gonna be bigger again in batman...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

When I grow up I want to be like Tom Hardy

I plan on seeing Warrior this weekend, been meaning to get around to it for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fast Five

Really disappointing considering it got favourable reviews

Brainless, badly acted (Looking at you Paul Walker), unoriginal, cliché ridden and for the most part pretty boring

Some of the action scenes eb along nicely but not well enough that you can ignore the rest of the films failings

I realise action films take some liberty when it comes to reality but the this really takes the piss. The first ten minutes alone break nearly every law of physics and common sense.

The Rock is actually surprisingly good in it to be fair.

5/10

i read somewhere he's gonna be bigger again in batman...

if this is anything to go by:

empire-bane-subscribers.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fast Five

I realise action films take some liberty when it comes to reality but the this really takes the piss. The first ten minutes alone break nearly every law of physics and common sense.

Part of the reason I thought it was so good man :D

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fast Five

Really disappointing considering it got favourable reviews

Brainless, badly acted (Looking at you Paul Walker), unoriginal, cliché ridden and for the most part pretty boring

Some of the action scenes eb along nicely but not well enough that you can ignore the rest of the films failings

The Rock is actually surprisingly good in it to be fair.

5/10

I like The Rock, he's got great charisma and he's watchable in everything he's been in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

50/50

Comedy drama about a 27 year old guy diagnosed with cancer.

Its been getting really good reviews and it didnt disappoint. Its beautifully played, the comedy is only sprinkled on it really. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic in the lead role, in fact the whole cast are pretty much spot on, except perhaps Seth Rogen who, although playing quite a one dimensional character, gives a quite wooden performance which sticks out more so, with everyone else delivering so well.

It avoids any overplay on emotion and the heart strings throughout, except for maybe the last 20 minutes, when it really is needed and again is played beautifully and is not over sentimental.

Having had a close family member suffering with cancer in the last couple of years, it was great to see the subject handled in such a "normal" and at times light hearted way.

A small story very well told and beautifully performed, I would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

krudler wrote: »
    I like The Rock, he's got great charisma and he's watchable in everything he's been in so far.

Tooth Fairy/Game Plan??

I'd agree with most other stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Whiskey in the Jar

Never Let me Go - effusive

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Snowtown: What an incredible film. Was on edge watching it all the way through. Harrowing music and long moments of silence at times made it all the more tense and gripping.

Not for the faint of heart though as it was quite disturbing and distressing at times. Well worth a watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Knowing (2009) - RTE last night - on in the background last night as it starred Nicholas Cage. Daft plot, utterly depressing and two hours of my life that I won't see again although, as I said, I only had it on in the background.

MV5BMTMyMjgyMDIyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg3MjAyMg@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Watched the Alan Turing documentary on Channel 4 on Demand. Mindblowing stuff, what a story, what a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Knowing (2009) - RTE last night - on in the background last night as it starred Nicholas Cage. Daft plot, utterly depressing and two hours of my life that I won't see again although, as I said, I only had it on in the background.
    I watched it too. Fascinating and cringe-inducing at the same time, mostly thanks to The Cage and his over-acting. I didn't bother with this back in 2009, due to the reviews, but there are some fascinating ideas in there struggling to get out, and it managed to keep my attention despite the CGI. Spoilers ahead:

There were some heavy nods to Arthur C. Clarke in the story line, such as the idea of the Rescue Party of aliens, and their focus on the children is straight out of Childhood's End.

The whole business with the numbers is confusing, possibly full of holes - since only children are receptive to them, but only adults are sufficiently knowledgeable about real-world events to interpret them properly. I thought it might mean that the aliens knew that children would need the support of adults to get to the pick-up points, but that's not true: the two kids we followed were picked up by the Whisperers and transported there when the adults were distracted. The aliens didn't even need an adult to interpret the numbers at all - they knew what they were doing. So Koestler (Cage), racing around in his truck, made no difference whatsoever: the Earth was doomed, and the aliens were going to take the "receptive" kids regardless of anything the adults knew or did. Neither was there any need for the kids to start writing numbers, either - I'd call that accidental, like a leak of information.

That's how it looks to me, anyway: a good central idea involving the kids, surrounded by lots of adults running around and screaming. One possible flaw in this idea: when Koestler got involved in the Subway crash, he apparently helped to save dozens of lives - and had he not done that, the numbers would have been wrong. Hmmmm ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Cronenberg's Videodrome.

Great body horror, with James Woods and Debbie Harry. Thought the effects held up really well, with cool ideas and I enjoyed the piss-take of academic-speak. I'm not sure I understood exactly what happened at the end but don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

bnt wrote: »
    I watched it too. Fascinating and cringe-inducing at the same time, mostly thanks to The Cage and his over-acting. I didn't bother with this back in 2009, due to the reviews, but there are some fascinating ideas in there struggling to get out, and it managed to keep my attention despite the CGI. Spoilers ahead:

There were some heavy nods to Arthur C. Clarke in the story line, such as the idea of the Rescue Party of aliens, and their focus on the children is straight out of Childhood's End.

The whole business with the numbers is confusing, possibly full of holes - since only children are receptive to them, but only adults are sufficiently knowledgeable about real-world events to interpret them properly. I thought it might mean that the aliens knew that children would need the support of adults to get to the pick-up points, but that's not true: the two kids we followed were picked up by the Whisperers and transported there when the adults were distracted. The aliens didn't even need an adult to interpret the numbers at all - they knew what they were doing. So Koestler (Cage), racing around in his truck, made no difference whatsoever: the Earth was doomed, and the aliens were going to take the "receptive" kids regardless of anything the adults knew or did. Neither was there any need for the kids to start writing numbers, either - I'd call that accidental, like a leak of information.

That's how it looks to me, anyway: a good central idea involving the kids, surrounded by lots of adults running around and screaming. One possible flaw in this idea: when Koestler got involved in the Subway crash, he apparently helped to save dozens of lives - and had he not done that, the numbers would have been wrong. Hmmmm ... :o

I thought it was fascinating idea wrapped up in a terrible film. Both Nicolas Cage and suprisingly Rose Byrne were terrible and the two disasters were so over the top in their depiction they looked out of place. Enjoyable only in that it had a lot of unintentionally funny moments- the rabbits being saved but not the dad, cage telling his parents and sister to stay underground "in the sewers", and the whole nonsensical scrawlings on the door.Someone else said it was related to the Rapture idea but I didn't see that in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Someone else said it was related to the Rapture idea but I didn't see that in it.
    Some of the IMDB reviews think it's propaganda for Scientology. Not sure why, but I think it has to do with the notion of aliens coming to take away the "righteous". I don't think they realise that Scientology itself has roots in "Golden Age" science fiction, so it's not surprising that similar themes come up. That was what L Ron Hubbard did for a living before he invented Scientology: he wrote (bad) science fiction, and was influenced by the pulp magazines of the day.

I'm still waiting for the long-planned film adaptation of Clarke's Childhood's End. The latest to take it on is Stop-Loss director Kimberly Pierce, but that was back in early 2008. If done right, it would not star Nicholas Cage, or John Cusack, or any of those "shouty" actors. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Haven't seen Knowing since it was released but I loved it. Alex Proyas always makes stylish science fiction, though I Robot suffers from Will Smith being in it.
    I thought Knowing was fascinating and thought provoking and quite different to any other sci fi/disaster movies of the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Everything suffers from Will Smith being in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Tony EH wrote: »

I like Will Smith! I think he plays it a bit safe with his roles though. I was disappointed when he turned down Django Unchained. It would have been great to see him in a Quentin Tarantino film (and to have heard that soundtrack!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Low down - rubbish and pretentious movie about single people in London arguing and dating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

The Tree of Life. This film is bound to leave alot of people cold but I personally think it could be a masterpiece. Still in my thoughts a week later, such was it's impact on me.

I like Will Smith for what he does, big crowd pleasing blockbusters, really wish he'd do something more challenging though, The Pursuit Of Happyness was at least something different from his typical summer movie blockbuster stuff was just an average movie. I thought he was great in I Am Legend, which was good until
    the dog died, then it went to sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

marathon man last nite on film 4

hadnt seen it in ten years and this was only the second time , funny enough i thought hoffman,s performance was considerabley weaker than most of the other actors , olivier , shiedier , even william devane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

True. Jazzy Jeff, one of the best hip hop DJs ever in a group with Will Smith, one of the worst rappers ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Thing Remake

One of the worst films ive ever seen. They took what made the original do great - the suspense - and dispensed of it. They then proceeded to murder it with CGI and then gave it the typical Hollywood "watch out for the sequel" ending. I can't see it happening. Awful. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Winters Bone - brilliant understated kind of film. The characters are very well put together but the standout performance is the lead. Very slight of touch film that starts slowly but always engaging. Top-notch surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Tree of Life. This film is bound to leave alot of people cold but I personally think it could be a masterpiece. Still in my thoughts a week later, such was it's impact on me.

Oh god no, my worst cinematic experience of the year. I walked after bout 45 mins - truly awful self-indulgent crap that serves no purpose. Give me Melancholia anyday.

Please explain to me what you gained from this "masterpiece"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement