Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Meloncholia, very strange film, not what I was expecting at all but quite good at the same time.

Since I enjoyed that so much I went back in the last week and watchen Antichrist and Dogville.
    Antichrist, my god, its tough going. I really found it hard to get through the first half. Seond half certainly had me more drawn in. Overall I am happy I watched it, although to say I enjoyed feels wrong.
    Dogville is an absolute triumph. Such a fantastic movie I cant even begin. Performance of Kidman's career imo, and Stellan Sarsgard never disappoints, does he?
    I also watched Snowtown, another bleak film. Although it was excellent at portraying the dismal, grey theme, I couldnt follow all the victims and who was who very well. Probably my fault, but still Also
    It was a very strange way to end a film, without an arrest shown. Its almost like they ran out of money.
    . Gret tension though, and it is a good film.
    Then I went on to Irreversible, due to recommendationts on this forum. (how have I lived through this week?) Superb film. Loved the concept and the gritty nature. I have I stand alone there waiting to watch now.
    The most depressing film I watched all week was Your Highness. I'm not even going to talk about that.
    Lasrt night I watched 30 mins or less. I had very low expextations amd I hate Jesse Eisenberg, but I really enjoyed the movie. Some really funny bits and the two heroes really seemed like guys you would know. A nice cheery end to the week, but a week I very much enjoyed nonetheless. Some real gems in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Warrior - first off it's a very good film with some great dialogue and packs an emotional punch. Nick Nolte gives the most impressive performance from an actor that I have seen since Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler. He has to get an Oscar. The film suffers from too many cliches (Russian bad guy, wife ringside) and the unnecessary story of Tom Hardy being a war hero. It just did not work for me and I think it was just a cheap patriotic way to satisfy American viewers. Still I really enjoyed the movie and would highly recommend it, 8/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

every james bond movie staring sean connery on itv4 this past week , coolest man that ever lived , connery that is , sean connery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

psychward wrote: »
    The gang leader working as a bellboy with the uncool uniform in the second half was funny though. :D
    Especially considering what happened to the "actor" playing the bellboy, who also goes by the mod name "Ace Face" ..!

I forgot to mention that I also watched Chocolat recently, a film probably best remembered in this country for Johnny Depp's accent:

I thought it was well-made, with some excellent performances, but the story was predictable, and it was all about Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench and Alfred Molina. Some of the otherwise excellent cast never got to do much e.g. Carrie-Anne Moss or Peter Stormare.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Watched Drive last night.

Worth the watch but find it vastly overated on boards. There's quite a lot wrong with it.

Granted, it has great style and some great scenes but it grows untidy as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kraggy wrote: »
    Watched Drive last night.

Worth the watch but find it vastly overated on boards. There's quite a lot wrong with it.

Granted, it has great style and some great scenes but it grows untidy as time goes on.

a real human being.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I also watched Snowtown, another bleak film. Although it was excellent at portraying the dismal, grey theme, I couldnt follow all the victims and who was who very well. Probably my fault, but still Also
    It was a very strange way to end a film, without an arrest shown. Its almost like they ran out of money.

The comments at the end of the movie explained what happened after the end of the period that was shown on the screen.
    Since there was no police presence in the movie before then I don't see what it would have added to see a load of arrests at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The comments at the end of the movie explained what happened after the end of the period that was shown on the screen.
    Since there was no police presence in the movie before then I don't see what it would have added to see a load of arrests at the end.

Yeah, its probably just me, but
    even if they showed there being a knock on the door one day and a cop was there, and then cut to the end, it would have felt more "normal". I dunno.

Still a film I'd strongly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The Island (2005)

I liked it. Didnt have to be a Michael Bay action style movie tho. Felt the story was there. It didnt need an action director to make the movie.

But scarlett johansson is fine! ... she was only 20 while making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Source Code: Not sure if I enjoyed it or not really. It was an interesting idea but the repetitive nature of the film drove me mad. Felt like I was watching a mix between Groundhog Day and Vantage Point at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just near about soiled my undies watching The Orphanage:eek:

Horror is not my normal bag but I thought I'd give it a go. The hairs were actually standing up on the back of my neck.

Kids are scary as fook!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Warrior - Fairly cliched, few dollops of cheese, sporting montage, etc........but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Hangover Part II Probably one of the worst "comedies" I've ever seen .... Garbage ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Savage

Certainly at least one head and shoulder above the latest wave of Irish cinema. An intense, well-performed (Darren Healy portrays one hell of a conflicted individual) drama about one man's descent into, well, hell really. After a random assault leaves his sense of identity in tatters, his photojournalist shifts violently between bloodlust and a debilitating fear/paranoia of the outside world. A highlight is the aggressive, unsettling sound design throughout which adds a wonderful sense of dread and momentum.

There was a tendency towards overly blatant foreshadowing and thematic exposition, though, not helped by some odd minor performances. A poorly delivered cameo from Ian O'Doherty - of all people - is particularly on-the-nose and ineffective (I'm reading an interview with the director hear where he calls that scene sarcastic, and while that may be, it still seems like a mood-breaking distraction). And there were a few times when I began to wonder if the film makers were basically just riffing on a single idea for the whole time. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but given the foreshadowing, there's little doubt how this is going to end up. Luckily, the conclusion pretty much pummels you into submission.

Mostly an interesting, offbeat and tense film, although even at a lean 80 minutes it sometimes seems as if we're slowly chugging towards the inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

the_monkey wrote: »
    The Hangover Part II Probably one of the worst "comedies" I've ever seen .... Garbage ...

Yeah a lot can be said about the hangover 2 illregardless of weather someone enoyed it or not because its just the same movie as the first.
    It was obvious they were going to rehash the concept. But to rehash everything from the first?!!? .. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Dirty Harry last night. First time seeing it and while it was grand it was nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I also watched Warrior recently. Wouldn't have thought it was a film for me but after reading so many good reviews checked it out. Highly enjoyable film, brilliantly acted, great fight scenes, perfect ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Been off sick recently so there's a few here. I know everyone's taste is different but I've written them as recommendations/warnings to give people a steer when looking for something new to watch.

The hangover 2, I thought the first one was amusing and would give it a 5 out of 10. This was not as good, and really suffered due to it being so similar to the first one. Some funny moments though. 4 out of 10.

Drive, i liked this movie and somehow missed all of the hype around it, therefore i came to it with no expectations. It felt like I was watching no county for old men. Very good, 7 out of 10.

Midnight in Paris. Haven't watched a Woody Allen movie in a few years. By most accounts he seems to have lost his edge. This was a decent romantic comedy though. If you have a literary bent you'll enjoy many of the in jokes scattered throughout too. Very Good 7 out of 10.

Moneyball. Good sports movie. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great in this true story about the Oakland A's baseball teams greatest season. Whilst many sports movies are concerned with the individual sacrifice/determination of sportsmen or women, this one concentrate on the behind the scenes goings on. It explores how (as many people believe) Billy Beane and Peter Brand changed the face of Baseball by pioneering a statistics driven and economically motivated transfer strategy. Turns out as a great underdog story. Essential viewing for sports fans and especially Liverpool football fans.
    7.5 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Midnight in Paris. Haven't watched a Woody Allen movie in a few years. By most accounts he seems to have lost his edge. This was a decent romantic comedy though. If you have a literary bent you'll enjoy many of the in jokes scattered throughout too. Very Good 7 out of 10.

I liked this but I couldn't help think that all the references used were a bit 'meh'. Like I knew about 90% of the people mentioned - when they mentioned Luis Buñuel and started talking about The Exterminating Angel I knew all about this but beyond that it was sort of empty, no? Maybe I'm missing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Drive for a second time last night to see whether my initial theory that it was a poor movie was somehow incorrect.

Upgraded from a 6/10 to 7.5/10 - it's a good movie but the silences are awful...

Must say though one of the best openings to a movie I've seen in a good while - the cat and mouse at the start was intense!!

• Advertisement

What do you mean by the silences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Renn wrote: »
    I liked this but I couldn't help think that all the references used were a bit 'meh'. Like I knew about 90% of the people mentioned - when they mentioned Luis Buñuel and started talking about The Exterminating Angel I knew all about this but beyond that it was sort of empty, no? Maybe I'm missing something...

I know what you mean, I did think the cameos from many of the writers and artists were very hollow, (caricatures almost), Hemmingway was really funny though.
    Now that you raise it though, might that have been intentional? with the morale of the movie in my opinion being something about not romanticising the past and the fact that Owen Wilson was drawing on his memory to provide details about each person it would make sense that they're deliberately one dimensional. just a thought

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Midnight in Paris got by on sheer charm - I didn't know the 'gimmick' when I was going in and was pleasantly surprised. It was played tongue-in-cheek throughout and while some characters certainly seemed better fleshed out then others - can't hate on Dali, yo - it easily breezed by IMO.

Although I do suspect it might of caused some nostalgic fondness for Purple Rose of Cairo in some part of my brain.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What do you mean by the silences?

Probably the bits where no-one speaks and just look an each other and that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Probably the bits where no-one speaks and just look an each other and that.

Thanks but I was hoping he'd answer as he mentioned how he loved the opening scene - which had nearly zero dialogue in it.

Thanks but I was hoping he'd answer as he mentioned how he loved the opening scene - which had nearly zero dialogue in it.

Not trying to talk for them or anything, but the opening scene is quite a tense action scene, I would think they're referring to scenes where people are sitting around talking and then they stop talking for long stretches. I think it happened with the family at the dinner scene iirc. I had no problem with these scenes though so I'll shut up now and let the poster reply to your question :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

JohnK wrote: »
    Watched Dirty Harry last night. First time seeing it and while it was grand it was nothing to write home about.

You're only joking right? One of the classic cop movies of all time.

'I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?'

dirty-harry-thumb-390x300.jpg

The only weak movie of the five 'Dirty Harry' movies is the "Dead Pool" which I don't recommend to anyone but Clint Eastwood diehards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

rampart, superb, woody harleson is going to get an oscar for this id say.
    a must watch for all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You're only joking right? One of the classic cop movies of all time.

'I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?'

dirty-harry-thumb-390x300.jpg

The only weak movie of the five 'Dirty Harry' movies is the "Dead Pool" which I don't recommend to anyone but Clint Eastwood diehards.

Sure there was that nicely quotable line and maybe I've just overdosed on Clint Eastwood recently after watching The "Dollars"/"Man With No Name" Trilogy but Dirty Harry just seemed like any one of countless westerns just in a more modern setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

JohnK wrote: »
    Sure there was that nicely quotable line and maybe I've just overdosed on Clint Eastwood recently after watching The "Dollars"/"Man With No Name" Trilogy but Dirty Harry just seemed like any one of countless westerns just in a more modern setting.
    I thought the baddie ("Scorpio") had a lot to do with why Dirty Harry is so memorable. He's completely out there: amoral, torturing and killing people, then trying to justify it retroactively. There's a running theme of how the San Francisco police are completely unable to deal with someone like that, and so they have to allow the Neanderthal to do his thing. Just the thought that someone like Dirty Harry is necessary is a scary one for all concerned (and the audience), I thought.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement