Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

barone wrote: »
    ides of march, new version.. pretty good ,been mentioned on here already, i think clooney would make an excellent serial killer in a 7even type film

It's the only version...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Black Swan. Pretty f*cked up film, wasn't expecting all that. But actually really enjoyable overall with some great moments, scenes and acting overall

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mission Impossible 3: Noticed this as I was scanning through my hard drive last night and decided to take a punt on it with the new MI just around the corner.

I really enjoyed it. Mission Impossible 2 was awful in my opinion and this third instalment really put my faith back into the series.

Real "leave your brain at the door" stuff but overall very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

The Prestige
    Really enjoyed it has a great cast , didn't have a clue what it was about before i watched it . Would recommend it to anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Prestige
    Really enjoyed it has a great cast , didn't have a clue what it was about before i watched it . Would recommend it to anyone .
    Quite possibly, my favourite film of all time. Fantastic stuff. Davie Bowie as Nikolai Tesla, genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭8mv

I had Munich in a drawer for a while and only got around to watching it over the weekend - those who say it's Speilbergs best movie are probably right. Great moral ambiguity and acting. My only complaint was that the best and most harrowing scene (the massacre at the airport) was inter-cut with what I thought was a needless sex scene between Aver and his wife. Maybe I missed the point. Fantastic film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

8mv wrote: »
    I had Munich in a drawer for a while and only got around to watching it over the weekend - those who say it's Speilbergs best movie are probably right. Great moral ambiguity and acting. My only complaint was that the best and most harrowing scene (the massacre at the airport) was inter-cut with what I thought was a needless sex scene between Aver and his wife. Maybe I missed the point. Fantastic film though.
    This is a movie I saw in the cinema some time ago and I didn't think it was fantastic at the time but have always meant to watching again

*makes mental note for weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Red hill.
    It was very good.very good acting and story.done before but a good film nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Just watched Othello with Laurence Fishburne and Kenneth Branagh. Branagh is fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Office Space - So, um, I'm gonna say that I liked it but, uh, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the hypnotism just, y'know, seemed to go away. Didn't, uh, even realise Bill was Gary Cole. Who I know, uh, best, as Harvey Birdman.

Famboys - Can't really remember much of it apart from scoffing at the
    relationship between Windows and
    Lucy Stillman. Four guys go to Skywalker Ranch to steal a rough cut of Phantom Menace with humorous results.

Gamer - Waste of an interesting idea in which games are played with human avatars. Thought the Sims/Second Life/PlayStation Home-style 'Society' was a fairly decent parallel of the seedier aspects of those simulators even if the movie seems confused about how much was virtual. Dexter Morgan gets one memorable scene that I enjoyed but the rest of the movie is junk. The whole thing isn't subtle with the usual 'games are bad' (like the Internet, movies, television, books...) message, and there's an awful child actor that can't do the one line she was given.

Ghostbusters - Only stopped to watch the start and ended up rewatching the whole thing...

X-Men: First Class - I liked it. Far superior to Wolverine and Last Stand. Some unnecessary cheese such as the name-checking for the sake of it and child Magneto's Darth Neeeeeeeeiiiiiin. If I'm remembering it correctly he does a ninety degree turn to do it aswell. Just yell to signify anguish, don't put it into words. That makes me feel angry. Wasn't convinced by
    Mystique switching sides
    or the plausibility of Banshee's flight, especially when
    it came to carrying someone.
    Could have done without Magneto's sudden penchant for
    capes
    in the end aswell. Agree with Fysh on
    "In terms of Darwin's death it felt particularly forced for me because, well, he was the one with the best chances of survival - it would've felt a lot less forced to let someone else have the Heroic Sacrifice death. It didn't help that the only other non-white heroic protagonist betrayed the team, either
    frown.gif" I'd say the franchise is back on track anyway.

Alice in Wonderland - Didn't even realise that Crispin Glover was in it. For a movie touted as female empowerment it doesn't sit well that the movie was sold on STARRING JOHNNY DEPP with him and only him on the poster. Or that the ending seems to see Alice off to
    shift some opium in China
    . Or that the new order in
    Underland under the White Queen doesn't seem much of an improvement.

Hn. Movie wasn't entirely awful I just didn't particularly care. Best thing was Paul Whitehouse as the March Hare.

Resident Evil: Afterlife - These are going to keep being made until Anderson and Jovovich get a divorce. Nothing like the games of course, but I kinda like that they stepped back and made it a more traditional zombie movie. Stuck in a prison besieged by zombies, Alice (a different one wink.gif) and co need to reach the ship just a short distance away. Still should have set the whole thing in Japan though. Shame Alice's
    supposed depowering didn't seem to have much effect. Only villains should be invincible eye em oh.

Instant Swamp - The DVD cover is rife with errors (is the punk's name Gus or Gas?) and the speed of the opening montage while having to read subtitles is hell on the eyes but I really enjoyed the film.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - The most satisfying part for me was being greeted by the same font as the book covers for the opening credits' Catch Me If You Can style intro. References to other stories also a plus. Good to see the guy who did the fan version has been given a job on the next movie too.

Bit weird being set in a kind of Anglo-Belgium and Tintin's baby face was punchable. Convienient to the plot that
    he saw the second ship model as a duplicate rather than, I don't know, the original being repaired
    . Bit uncanny valley at times. However, Snowy was a character in and of himself and thankfully didn't talk; enjoyed Thomson and Thompson and the chase sequence especially. Welcome adaptation of one the stories that I wasn't big on.

Now do Asterix like the Roadrunner CGI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers Extended Edition

I love this film, some very funny parts, and the intro of the people of Rohan and Gondor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Horrible bosses. A good film with an excellent cast. It's not a laugh a minute but well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭crushproof

Tropa de Elite 2: O Inimigo Agora É Outro / Elite Squa 2d: The Enemy Within.

Sequel to the excellent Tropa de Elite, set in the Rio slums, which I loved. This time Nascimento is put behind a desk and begins to take on police corruption, with the usual bloody and complicated consequences.
    Brilliant film, even better than the original in my opinion.

You should seriously watch both films if you haven't yet. It's the opposite of City of God, this time it's the story from the Cops view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

In Time

It was a coin toss between this and Tower Heist when with the woman in the queue at the cinema. I loved the concept, I think the whole idea of the movie is fantastic, to the point where I was thinking about it the whole way home from the cinema. In saying that, I felt it was badly executed and the 6.6 score on imdb is warranted. I felt Timberlake was good in it, but there were just a few too many silly things in it, like the "fights" (actually had me laughing).

I found it very entertaining, but just felt it was such a good idea wasted. Had somebody like Christopher Nolan been behind it, it could have been fantastic (though Nolan would improve most movies I suppose :P ).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Harakiri / Seppuku

Remarkable samurai film from Masaki Kobayashi. A shocking, cynical critique of honour and justice in feudal Japan (or modern Japan?). A match for even the finest of Kurosawa's work in the genre. Tatsuya Nakadai is magnificent as a lonely ronin who asks to commit ritual suicide on a clan's land. A clever flashback structure reveals plenty of reversals and surprises as the plot progresses at a beautiful pace. It looks great, it sounds great, it simply is great.

And the Blu-Ray is gorgeous, with a booklet that has the single best sentence I've ever read concerning aspect ratios: "The above images are a distortion and corruption of the original artwork, which travesty the integrity of the human form and cinematographic space"
    Ridley wrote: »

Instant Swamp - The DVD cover is rife with errors (is the punk's name Gus or Gas?) and the speed of the opening montage while having to read subtitles is hell on the eyes but I really enjoyed the film.

Instant Swamp is a delightful little film. The director's other effort Turtles Are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers is equally fun. Just innocent, charming entertainment. One of his other films is due a release in the new year I believe, but another one has been denied a release outside of Japan because of mismanagement of music rights in relation to a single song :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Watched Cowboys & Aliens there last night. Fairly enjoyable but was mostly 'meh'. I felt Sam Rockwell was wasted

Watched it tonight myself.
    Its basically crap. First 30 mins or so its good. Then down hill big time. Its so dragged out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I watched Thirst on channel 4 there a while ago, they had a night of vampires movies. Twilight (:confused:), Let the Right One In and Thirst.

Great movie though, possibly better than Let the Right One In. Not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Instant Swamp is a delightful little film. The director's other effort Turtles Are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers is equally fun. Just innocent, charming entertainment. One of his other films is due a release in the new year I believe, but another one has been denied a release outside of Japan because of mismanagement of music rights in relation to a single song pacman.gif

Is that Adrift In Tokyo? I was looking at that on Third Window's site while I was typing (and an Instant Swamp review on some blog called Film Ha Ha or something wink.gif).

So Insects Unlisted in the Encyclopedia is the blocked one? I see you can buy the soundtrack on Amazon. Maybe I could learn Japanese. That'd show them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah think that's it. Insects had been up for preorder online and everything (not that it means much in this fansubbed world of ours). But i believe Adrift in Tokyo is meant to be his best film, so that's a result I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Warrior again, one of the years most enjoyable films for me, sure its a ball of predicatable cheese but the performances make it, Nick Nolte should expect an oscar nomination next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Aguirre.

Obsessed with Herzog-Kinski at the moment, and this was predictably brilliant. I'd meant to watch it for years. Thought it was a fascinating vision of those early years of colonialism, while the menace of a mutinous Kinski kept it crackling along. Herzog's use of music and image quickens my pulse.

Definitely my favourite Herzog joint. Electrifying cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

joint?

as in a spike lee joint? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Watched Snowtown last night. Being based on true murders in Australia, Snowtown was always going to be gritty but oh how grey and gritty it is! Think of it as This is England without the humorous bits.
    Doesn't paint Australia in any pleasing light as every character is either a psycho, retarded, a degenerate or combination of the three but it's not a film you'll forget anytime soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings last night at the Grand Canal Theater, absolutely fantastic.

Agreed. It was so fantastic to see what must be around 200 people performing the music for such a grand film. It was fun to see the men's choir move into position, you knew there must be a heel scene (orcs/sauron etc) coming up!

It was great picking out little things, like when Sean Bean (by himself) is talking about using the ring (for Gondor), there's one solo trumpet playing the Gondor song; fantastic touch. And hearing the Fellowship/main theme in full, since it's mostly fractured in the subsequent films. Gonna have to see TT and ROTK when they do it!!

Excellent, electric atmosphere, the crowd absolutely ate it up; perfect performances (except from the solo kid at the end - fluffed it, lol). Such a rich score and definitely an exception experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Aguirre.

Obsessed with Herzog-Kinski at the moment, and this was predictably brilliant. I'd meant to watch it for years. Thought it was a fascinating vision of those early years of colonialism, while the menace of a mutinous Kinski kept it crackling along. Herzog's use of music and image quickens my pulse.
    Definitely my favourite Herzog joint. Electrifying cinema.

If you can find it you should watch My Best Fiend. Its a doc by Herzog about his working relationship with Klaus Kinski. They are constatntly at war with each other. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Agreed. It was so fantastic to see what must be around 200 people performing the music for such a grand film. It was fun to see the men's choir move into position, you knew there must be a heel scene (orcs/sauron etc) coming up!

It was great picking out little things, like when Sean Bean (by himself) is talking about using the ring (for Gondor), there's one solo trumpet playing the Gondor song; fantastic touch. And hearing the Fellowship/main theme in full, since it's mostly fractured in the subsequent films. Gonna have to see TT and ROTK when they do it!!

Excellent, electric atmosphere, the crowd absolutely ate it up; perfect performances (except from the solo kid at the end - fluffed it, lol). Such a rich score and definitely an exception experience.

Totally agree, and it was a pity the boy soloist was a bit poor, poor thing must have been nervous though. The female soloist was brilliant though. Loved the fact that there was music in parts of the film that I had never seemed to notice before :)
    Cannot wait for the Two Towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

krudler wrote: »
    Warrior again, one of the years most enjoyable films for me, sure its a ball of predicatable cheese but the performances make it, Nick Nolte should expect an oscar nomination next year

just watched it once you cut through the cheese its very good :D, Tom Hardy is excellent as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Gee Bag wrote: »
    If you can find it you should watch My Best Fiend. Its a doc by Herzog about his working relationship with Klaus Kinski. They are constatntly at war with each other. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Watched this, thanks for the recommendation. Agree completely. Hadn't realised quite how, eh, volatile, Kinski was. It's a miracle those films got made at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

The Guard - absolutely brilliant. Brendan Gleeson on fire..
    Hanna - Saoirse Ronan is excellent. Better film than i expected.
    Tin Tin - my 6 year old enjoyed it. The Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream was far superior in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement