Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Orcs!
    Orcs have been hiding in the mountains of a 'merican national park for thousands of years, and they decide to attack. It's ****ing hilarious. I'm not sure if the acting is just.. bad, or if it was played that way for laughs. The film definitely doesn't take itself too seriously and it's only 1h20m long but I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Watched Paul and Season of the witch on blu-ray over the weekend.
    Paul may have the same producers as Hot Fuzz and leads but for me a few days later i cant remember a stand out scene.Entertaining but not one to stick in your mind like Hot Fuzz.
    Season of the Witch only good thing about it is Ron Pearlman.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

In the last few days watched Moon, had never heard of it and was pleasantly surprised, interesting enough & decent acting.

Then watched Slamin Salmon and I thought it was hysterical. My husband kept telling me it was crap and I only found it funny cos I was drunk (3 beers, allbeit Duvels). I wouldn't watch it again in a hurry but I did think it very funny last night.

Fell asleep watching Thor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

watched saints and sinners great film, wasnt expecting much i can highly recommend it, its like leathal weapon in new orleans, nice bit of violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Watched Daybreakers last night pretty average 2*...

has Ethan Hawke hasnt done a good flick since Training Day? quite liked him in that, is there any other films of his he is good in? Saw him in Brooklyns Finest with him and Richard Gere and a cameo-ish of Wesley Snipes which was another drab flick but worth a watch 2/3*....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Hawke did Before Sunset in '05 - if he puts in performances like that once every ten years then I'm not complaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cosmicfart wrote: »
    Watched Daybreakers last night pretty average 2*...

has Ethan Hawke hasnt done a good flick since Training Day? quite liked him in that, is there any other films of his he is good in? Saw him in Brooklyns Finest with him and Richard Gere and a cameo-ish of Wesley Snipes which was another drab flick but worth a watch 2/3*....

Gattaca's pretty decent.

Renn wrote: »
    Hawke did Before Sunset in '05 - if he puts in performances like that once every ten years then I'm not complaining.

looks a bit to soppy he is better in cop flicks...

id prefer Serendipity...

if I was in the mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Watched Toy Story 3 and I thought it was brilliant. As usually a brilliantly clever Pixar story-line. The end when
    Andy has to give over all the toy to Bonnie was quite sad too.
    :o The Day And Night short on the DVD was great too. :D I wish I saw it in 3D.

I watched Barton Fink last night. Absolutely fantastic! Great performances from everyone funny in parts and a great ending. :D It's a Coen brothers movie through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Departures (Okuribito - Japanese title).

Very good film :)

• Advertisement

Gattaca's pretty decent.

seen trailers but aint sen it yet! Uma Thurman in that yeah? sweet :D

that trailer for before sunset is horrible, it's an amazing movie, as is before sunrise

--edit

right, now I have to watch sunrise/sunset again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Bah, who looks at trailers. Just check it out if you like the guy as those two movies are both up there with my favourites of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Paul last night,not as laugh out loud funny as Pegg+Frost's other movies but has it's moments.

just finished before sunrise.. I forgot what a depressing movie it is in some ways.

now, on to before sunset

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really think Before Sunset is one of the finest sequels ever made. The first is great and all, if a little more standard (love the scene in the record booth though). But they knocked it out of the park with Sunset - that ending is perhaps cinema's
    cruelest, most brilliant cliffhanger

hehe, yeah. I remember the first time i watched sunrise and I didn't even know there was a sequel I was so bummed out. I just knew they'd
    never meet up again, and they'd both be ultimately miserable for the rest of their lives
    but then I found out a few days later that there was a sequel and it was so good.

it's so good to see them again, so far apart and to see how they've changed and grown.. jessy especially. celine is still kind of a neurotic crazy person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually saw the second one first! Kind of gave away the ending to the first, but it was actually interesting watching them in that order too. Was an absolute pain in the arse tracking down Sunrise at the time - was only available on VHS when Sunset was released in the cinema, probably still have the cassette knocking around somewhere.

i'd like to have seen these movies in the cinema, I haven't been to a cinema since LotR3 cos I just don't care about the movies in them generally but this would have been something special to see on the big screen.

I have them both on dvd.. somewhere, but whenever i want to watch them I just download them.. takes 3-4 minutes which is alot less time than it would take to dig out the dvd, and fiddle with cables and remotes for the bluray player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Anyone looking for a good film featuring Ethan Hawke should watch Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Sidney Lumet's final film before his death (the guy who directed Network, 12 Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon and several other good-to-great films). It's similar to Fargo in that it's about a botched criminal job that results in dire consequences. Somehow it actually manages to be more grim. The great Philip Seymour Hoffman is also in it, excellent film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i think i watched quite some 'crazy' movies lately :pac:

Lady Vangeance (the last one of vengeance trilogy, sequel to oldboy) - ohboy. LOL. i am not sure how should i rate this movie or how do i recommend it to somebody. i suppose it is for those whole who loves violence+detective genre....anyway, this movie is sort of a black comedy, so watch it with a lighted-heart approaching but you gotta expect some extreme gore and violence. a must watch for those 'hardcore' movie fans, it has an extremely intelligent and interesting plot, and visually stunning cinematography. it is a beautiful film.

Love Exposure (2008)
    - this 4hours movie, is pretty, unique. LOL. again it is kinda a black comedy but with quite some gore visuals (and weird upskirt photography fetish lol) but the core of the film is actually about a love story. a very unique and beautiful love story.

12 monkeys - rewatched this 'insane' masterpiece yesterday. an absolute classics. makes me wonder where did all these awesome 90s writers go :( movies nowadays seem really boring compare to the classics like this.

Anything for Her - a film that dangles good ideas in front of the audience before being lazy and returning to generic nonsense. To the film's credit, the pacing is frantic from the off - character development is restricted to two brief scenes before a woman (Diane Kruger) is accused of murdering her boss (the actual murder mystery explained in an early flashback and then never mentioned again). Husband decides to break her out.

There's a scene in the middle where the tone turns darker and the husband is driven to more morally questionable actions. One might think it goes somewhere. But now, a lengthy chase sequence follows, and it's all generic fare, the moral consequences of our protagonist's actions unquestioned. The ludicrous plot takes centre stage and is played minus any humour. It's enjoyable enough, but it stinks of averageness, and barring the one scene mentioned has barely a single surprise.

So inoffensive, it isn't surprising Hollywood shat out a remake (The Next Three Days) as soon as they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watched pale rider last nite on itv 4 , hadnt seen it in at least ten years , superb film , i suppose its quite similar to the classic western shane and while not quite as good as the outlaw josey wales , its clint on top form

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I actually found the lack of moralising refreshing in Anything For Her. The same can't be said for the American remake, which, through a small but significant change, turned the film into a morality play.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    watched pale rider last nite on itv 4 , hadnt seen it in at least ten years , superb film , i suppose its quite similar to the classic western shane and while not quite as good as the outlaw josey wales , its clint on top form

Beg to differ. Pale Rider for me ranks as Clints best Western. There is so many to choose form, the Dollar films, Unforgiven, OLJW, Hand em high etc but Pale Rider is the Ultimate six shooter last man standing pistols at dawn lone gunman Western!

I actually found the lack of moralising refreshing in Anything For Her. The same can't be said for the American remake, which, through a small but significant change, turned the film into a morality play.

It is enjoyable for what it was, but I thought the fact that darker themes were suggested in that one pivotal scene and then completely ignored was a serious weakness.
    They ride off into the sunset effectively with hardly a bother, but it all felt wrapped up in too nice a package.

It is solidly paced, I'll give it that, especially how quickly they kick started the main plot. But for me there was something more in there that wasn't explored in any depth, and the ending just felt hollow.

Think I'll give the remake a miss for sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

cosmicfart wrote: »
    Beg to differ. Pale Rider for me ranks as Clints best Western. There is so many to choose form, the Dollar films, Unforgiven, OLJW, Hand em high etc but Pale Rider is the Ultimate six shooter last man standing pistols at dawn lone gunman Western!

the film ( pale rider ) has a lot more depth than the way you describe it , apparently , clints charechter is meant to be a ghost from the past but my attitude with films is that you can take whatever you like from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Sinners & Saints

Had a decent enough score on imdb so I decided to give it a bash. Didn't even make it half way, pure garbage. The director must have got all his mates to give it good scores :pac:

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the film ( pale rider ) has a lot more depth than the way you describe it , apparently , clints charechter is meant to be a ghost from the past but my attitude with films is that you can take whatever you like from them

yeah you got that bit from the Stockburn character who is convinced he has killed 'the Preacher' before, there is nothing to say that he is a ghost though or was killed, he could have been injured and left for dead in a previous gunfight with Stockburn, thats the beauty of Pale Rider as there are bits in the story left to your own imagination/interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Anyone looking for a good film featuring Ethan Hawke should watch Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...

Watched this last night. Absolutely brilliant.

How the hell did this one slip by?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement