Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

X-Men: First Class. At the very least its as good as X-men 2. Really enjoyed it.

Trollhunter. In two mind about this. It was decent enough. Nothing brilliant.

Hobo With A Shotgun. What can I say, loved this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sraw wrote: »
    Trollhunter. In two mind about this. It was decent enough. Nothing brilliant.

Yeah I watched it the other night and was a little underwhelmed. It felt like it could have been so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Just watched the Director's cut of Daredevil

Whilst not a masterpiece it certainly shows that whoever thought the Theatrical release was the better option was a moron

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

adox wrote: »
    Hannah - wafer thin story but oddly enjoyable enough. What's her name was very good in it. Direction felt quite European for the most part.
    I just saw this earlier today. The story wasn't great, but I thought Saoirse Ronan was very good, showing great potential. It was a good trick to team her with Cate Blanchette, I thought they resemble each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Ok I watched these films over the past few weeks.

1. Waltz with Bashir (english Subtitles) what a class film and beautiful soundtrack.

2. District 9 - Absolute rubbish

3. Rescue Dawn - Great film, Christian Bale is brilliant in it I thought.

4. Blood Diamond - Caprio good and Jennifer Connolly looks well in it. :D

5. The Departed - Class

6. Inception - Best of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Man Who Knew Too Much - far from the best Hitchcock film I've seen, but a damn good watch none the less. It's too loosely plotted at times, taking illogical actions to new extremes. However, it also features some excellent sequences: a killer first act in Morocco and an epic musical climax. Jimmy Stewart is charismatic as usual, although not his strongest performance (not even his best Hitchcock). Surprised at how much energy Doris Day puts into her distraught performance. Film also impresses by sort of but not really breaking the fourth wall by having the characters attend a Bernard Hermann concert - and Hermann's score is particularly noteworthy elsewhere.

Ambrose Chappell is the best name I've ever heard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Drive Angry

Poor enough film even by Nicholas Cage's standards

William Fitchner was excellent in it, he should be in more stuff, stand out part was him driving a truck bopping along to "Thats the way uh huh uh huh, I like it uh huh uh huh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

went to see x-men first class the other night , I thought it was very good , blood diamond was one that I watched last weekend , I liked this film a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Drive Angry

Poor enough film even by Nicholas Cage's standards

William Fitchner was excellent in it, he should be in more stuff, stand out part was him driving a truck bopping along to "Thats the way uh huh uh huh, I like it uh huh uh huh"

William Fitchner was just unreal in it, i just wanted him to be in every single scene. played the neurotic psycho to a T

Watched moon there recently, I just didn't get it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Paul..

Good fun - not particularly funny or memorable, but just good fun.

Very good cast too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

teednab-el wrote: »
    Watched moon there recently, I just didn't get it to be honest.

what didnt you get :confused:

Auvers wrote: »
    what didnt you get :confused:

Just the film in general, Got lost with the story for some reason. Understand it now though after reading up on it. I was slow on the uptake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

a few dollars more last nite on tg4 , i perfer it to good , bad and ulgly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

True Grit remake, Black Swan and Sanctum on dvd

True Grit was the best of the three, lovely cinematography and very well acted.

I hated Black Swan altogether, and Sanctum was rubbish but a good guilty pleasure dvd:D

Also re-watched Inception again, love that movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Point Break, loved it. Who doesn't remember the scence when Johnny Utah dives without a parachute

Predators, the one with Adrian Brody, watch over an hour and switched it off, not impressed at all

Dark Blue, it's a cop movie set in LA. Kurt Russell and Brendan Glesson. Excellent, worth watching

Rewatched Jerry Maguire after maybe a 10 year gap, love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

teednab-el wrote: »
    Just the film in general, Got lost with the story for some reason. Understand it now though after reading up on it. I was slow on the uptake.

watch it again, best movie of 09 (imo) and deserves another viewing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Watched "The Tourist" on Bluray with Angelina Jolie, it was pretty poor and only for the hotness of Angie it would have totally sucked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Watched Batman begins recently - great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The Lincoln Lawyer- Really solid flick, enjoyed it a lot. Matthew Mc Really needs to knock the rom-coms on the head and stick to the better roles.

Unknown- I'm a huge Taken fan and was hoping for more of the same here but unfortunately this was terrible. The whole movie just didn't make much sense to put it bluntly it was sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Caterpillar:

A film about a horribly injured Japanese war hero, whose wife has to look after him.

Don't watch it if you are eating, is all I'll say.

I didn't know anything about the film when I put it on.

Was munching away on a nice sandwich when, about thirty minutes in, there was a 'love scene'.

Nearly puked, had to turn it off.

Now I'm sure it was probably a sensitive portrayal of love overcoming, well, whatever.

But that film spoiled my sandwich and I may never watch it again.

Sometimes you just get off on the wrong foot with a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I watched Tod Brownings 1930s horror Freaks last night. Great watch even after all these years, it was banned for years in Hollywood after he used people with disabilities as circus performers. Great little movie I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Basq wrote: »
    Paul..

Good fun - not particularly funny or memorable, but just good fun.

Very good cast too!
    I watched this this morning, absolutely loved it tbh, thought it was really really good! Loved all the movie references too.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I watched this this morning, absolutely loved it tbh, thought it was really really good! Loved all the movie references too.

was thinking of giving this a watch, however I can't stand Simon Pegg, is he is usual irritating self in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Finally got around to watching X Men First Class last night. Absolutely loved it, I thought Fassbender and McAvoy just really worked well together. January Jones was the weakest of the lot, but thats just my opinion.

Some of the dialogue was a bit cringy but being the old sap that I am, I just loved the story of Charles and Eriks friendship. And just how hot Micheal Fassbender is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just watched Paul. Thought it was excellent. Best feelgood movie I've seen in a long time and a cracking comedy to boot. :D

Once again, though, I avoided this movie until now because of the awful trailers. This seems to be happening a lot recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just watched Paul. Thought it was excellent. Best feelgood movie I've seen in a long time and a cracking comedy to boot. :D

Once again, though, I avoided this movie until now because of the awful trailers. This seems to be happening a lot recently.
    Agreed, the trailers don't do the movie any favours, I only watched because of comments on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Seen The Adjustment Bureau last night.

At best it was OK. Felt nothing for the relationship between the two leads, and the end was very weak.
    So it was like most movies now days:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Big Trouble In Little China, I genuinely dont understand how anyone couldnt like that movie, its got everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Journey of the Childmen -
    Basically a feature length behind the scenes on The Mighty Boosh's Future Sailor Tour. Leaning more toward the people who complained that it should have been an extra of the live show DVD. It's interesting but as a documentary, for me there's not enough to it to work as a standalone rather than as a supplement to the live show.

Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradciate the Saiyans - Came on the DB: Raging Blast 2 disc. Hard to read the subtitles if you're not using an HDTV. The characters fight enemy, enemy transforms, enemy defeated. Usual stuff from the DBZ movies. You either like it or you don't. wink.gif

The Atomic Brain (Mystery Science Theater 3000 version)
    The Unearthly (MST3K version)

Brüno - It's pretty much Borat with... well Borat switched out for Brüno. It did make me laugh when he was interviewing one of those gay conversion Christian ministers who suggested finding a woman considered "tolerable" (probably paraphrasing). Love's a major theme in the book, sir, you're not converting well enough. tongue.gif

Thor - Covered it here. Superhero movie presented in a new way that was enjoyable enough despite the BS romance that ended up unconvincing for the point it got to.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Brief thoughts here. Was alright. Good cancelled out bad and too much grey/sapped colour. Nowhere near as good as the first but I wouldn't mind Them having another go.

Toy Story 3 - Much better than the second which I didn't enjoy as much as other people seemed to (except for When She Loved Me). Really liked the
    Sid easter egg, though I would have expected him to be institutionalised by then,
    and the film closing with
    the symmetry of the 'real' cloudy sky against Andy's wallpaper
    . About closure and letting go blah blah blah and it does it well. Cared far more for
    the threat of the toys being incinerated
    than I should have. Enjoyed the Day and Night short on the DVD aswell.

Toy Story - Rewatched the first film. The CGI's hit it's shelf life, especially with Scud but it's still a good movie. Still funny. Completely forgot about Mrs. Nesbitt.
    Buzz broken literally and mentally.
    Usually things Pixar is appreciated for. Taking risks that Disney usually won't. A crappy nuclear family life? :eek: The psychics
    in plastic falling with style
    at the end is suspect but meh.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - Thought it was lame. Would have just turned the channel over if I hadn't pledged to sit through any film I started watching because I got through the entireity of The Human Centipede. TDiTPoD was pretty much a less interesting version of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement