Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Tarsem Singh's The Fall

This has been on my to-watch list for a while. Loved it. It's a visual tour de force but doesn't skimp on the emotions. Reminded me a lot of Pan's Labyrinth, minus the horror.

I enjoyed it - though I think to an extent it stands as a testament to why studios can sometimes be important. It's a staggeringly beautiful film, and the story is quite good in its way, but I think it could have done with having a couple of its ideas reined in a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Hangover Part II: I really enjoyed it, however it was a little too predictable and they could have done a way more with it I thought, and it was a film I think that political correctness held back, having recently been in Bangkok myself I was expecting so much yet the film delivered so little of what I expected it to be.

However for the person who hasn't been to Thailand it is still damn funny although there was some glaring inaccuracies in the film but again 99.9% of the masses won't spot them so it doesn't matter. Zach Galifianakis was outstanding and his character Alan was the making of the movie for me and without him it would be so so boring.

A good film but I don't think any film will ever be able to recapture that aura the original created, also sitting in a Movie theatre 10% full left little of an audience factor which sometimes makes it extra funny, and with Movie ticket prices I am not surprised, it was my first time at the cinema this year and with the prices being charged it will be a while again before I visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The Fighter, good film, enjoyed it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

blood diamond Leonardo Di Caprio and man on fire Denzel Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Watched Frozen the other night.

Kind of an interesting story, a few interesting scenes but it just dragged out, not enough in it to fill 90 minutes. Will not watch again or recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hereafter by Clint Eastwood, starring Matt Damon

Didn't think I'd like it and just put it on to fill some time and really enjoyed it. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Black Sunday (1977) Pretty good thriller, notable for having oddly likable terrorists, shame the final showdown is totally unbelievable. 5/10

Due Date - A couple of laughs here and there, but overall, it was pretty average 5/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

krudler wrote: »
    Jurassic Park, I threw it on today to test out my new headphones and christ its never sounded better. I adore this movie I really do. I remember being 12 seeing it in the cinema for the first time and being astounded and terrified all at once. From the opening scene with the raptor to the arrival of the T-Rex, which as far as I'm concerned is my generations Star Destroyer moment, I'll never forget that collective gasp from the audience as it let out that incredible roar and stomped out onto the screen. Its probably the most important movie of my formative years, a proper event movie of which are few and far between these days.
    You inspired me to sit down and watch it myself last night, something which I hadn't done since I was a child, and you're dead right, it's a classic!! Something I hadn't noticed before was Jeff Goldblum has the same line in this as well as in Independence Day where they're trying to get away from the T-Rex and Aliens... '
    'Must go faster!''

I also watched Unknown, it's alright, not as good as Taken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Starz Inside Fantastic Flesh: This documentary delves into the art of make-up effects with industry legends Dick Smith, Rob Bottin, Tom Savini, John Landis, Frank Darabont, Joe Dante and many others with a strong focus on Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger of KNB Make-Up EFX.

Had me on Wikipedia and You Tube for ages afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Hanna (2011)
    Saw it yesterday - not impressed. Saoirse was excellent in it.
    Thought the direction was pants though.

Hangover 2 - when you know exactly what you are getting it does exactly what it says on the tin. Giggled my ass off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Cedar Rapids - Comedy that stars "that dentist guy" from The Hangover films. Heard a lot about it and the apparent good reviews for it so me and the GF watched it.

Extremely average film that doesn't know what it wants to be, the dialogue is so corny one minute the next it's vulgar swearing. The humour is a complete mess. It's the type of film that's based in a reality that doesn't exist but Americans love. I was bored out of my mind and the GF fell asleep :pac:

Watch the trailer, litteraly all the bits that will get a reaction out of you are in it.

Just watch the Fr.Ted sheep competition episode. It's shorter, does the "small time competition that's not important to anyone except those involved with their bland lives" 20 times better and you'll get 5 times the laugh out of it.

Actually, sort of reminded me of a really poor King Of The Hill episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide'

Excellent documentary by people who know what they're talking about, featuring people who were both for and against the 1984 Video Recordings Act.

Although the producers are firmly against the bill, or even the (frankly ridiculous) notion of it, much of the screen time is given over to the likes of Peter Kruger, head of Scotland Yard's "Obscene Publications Squad" and Graham Bright, the Conservative MP who made his name saving Britain (and consequently Ireland) from the "corruption" caused by viewing such mind bending terror as 'Zombie Flesh Eaters', 'Cannibal Holocaust', 'Driller Killer' and 'Absurd!'

It's absurd now to think that in the early 80's, anything goes, heyday of video that some people were actually saying that viewing cheap and often badly made horror movies were "evil" and would have long term detrimental effects on viewers. Such arbiters of good taste, like Mary Whitehouse, used her considerable influence on Margaret Thatcher and other Conservative Party members to push through a bill to ban these mind altering "video nasties", without ever having actually seen one! "I don't need to see, visually, what I know is in that film"

Incredible as it may sound today, Graham Bright stated in an interview that "I Believe that research is taking place and it will show that these films not only affect young people, but I believe they affect dogs as well". In the documentary, this bottom-of-the-barrel scare mongering is dissected brilliantly by Dr Beth Johnson, who says that the statement is "Barking".

The documentary goes further than just exposing the flimsy pretexts for such censorship, though and expands on the very nature of the people behind the campaign, showing that not only was there no real scientific research or conclusions drawn, or official status...there wasn't even any proper legal background.

With snippets from writers like Kim Newman and Allan Bryce, British directors, Christopher Smith and Neil Marshall and a lengthy interview from Martin Barker, the story of the censorship and banning of often silly and frequently foreign gory horror videos unfolds in a very entertaining fashion.

As...er...a child of "Video Nasties", this period of 80's cinema (and indeed politics) holds a special fascination for me. Although I was in single figures, I still recall the eye-popping headlines and the hysteria surrounding these movies and I remember feeling that something was really amiss with the targeting out of films as a reason for society's ills. I also recall the fact that their banning made me want to see them all the more. So much so, that I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to track them down, in my later years, only to be disappointed by how harmless most of them were! Some of them, though, now have a place in my own DVD collection, completely uncut and I am still left wondering what all the fuss was about.

In fact, I find incredible irony in the fact that films like 'I Spit On Your Grave' and 'Last House on the Left', once held up as responsible for the "Rape of our children’s minds" by the Daily Mail, have only a few years ago been remade with better special effects and more competent acting!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is that about a Peado

No a father avenging the death of his drug addicted daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Watched this eventually after hearing so much about it and was sorely disappointed.

Was expecting a "grown up" flick for kids, but what started off very promising (actually thought the first 20 min compared as highly with the begining of Up read; some of the finest film making - it pretty quickly sewpt the depts of mediocrity and lost any humility explored in the first third of the movie. Very disappointing!

It could have been a real gem. Something that Toy Story 3 achieved. But in fairness there haven't been that many animated movies (from Pixar, Dreamworks etc....) that can stand shoulder to shoulder to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is that about a Peado
    You're probably thinking of The Woodsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

was watching....

AGAIN! recently, really good fight sequences involving popcorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Watched this eventually after hearing so much about it and was sorely disappointed.

Was expecting a "grown up" flick for kids, but what started off very promising (actually thought the first 20 min compared as highly with the begining of Up read; some of the finest film making - it pretty quickly sewpt the depts of mediocrity and lost any humility explored in the first third of the movie. Very disappointing!

It could have been a real gem. Something that Toy Story 3 achieved. But in fairness there haven't been that many animated movies (from Pixar, Dreamworks etc....) that can stand shoulder to shoulder to that.

Negged.

WALL·E was awesome!

They captured something intangible and beautiful in the personality of that movie that no other animated film has equaled. I honestly believe it's one of the greats of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Adored Wall-E...

.. 'Up' was decent, but 'Wall-E' is probably my favourite thing Pixar has done (other than Toy Story).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

I just finished watching the entire Living Dead series of movies.
    My favourite was Dawn of the dean '85 and Night of the living dead '64

Anyone know where I can get a boxset of them on blu-ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I just finished watching the entire Living Dead series of movies.
    My favourite was Dawn of the dean '85 and Night of the living dead '64

Anyone know where I can get a boxset of them on blu-ray?

Did you watch Zach Snyder's brilliant remake of DOTD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Wall-E

It could have been a real gem.

I dont quite get that statement, it's already well regarded as a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Did you watch Zach Snyder's brilliant remake of DOTD?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/
    That one?
    Yeah. I liked a lot of the new stuff, and the main female character was annoying.
    Preferred the original just because they pimped out the room so much, it was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

X men First Class.........:o

Extremely disappointed.....cgi was bad...
    Magneto o Tooles accent at the last half hour
    Why did xavier let his 'siister' go with the maniac terrorist
    When Moira Mc Taggart says to xavier at the end that shell never reveal where he is...................whats to stop them getting his postal address or look for the big mansion thats probably in his name
    Beast looks like a furby
    Where did they get permission to take the blackbird from the hangar

other than that yer one played Mystique was good and so was Xavier!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Seen 13 Assassins after seeing great reviews on RT and IMDB.
    It was a decent movie, I was prob expecting more after seeing the high scores it got. Still defo worth a watch if you like that type of movie.

I then watched Reign of Assassins seeing as it was following the theme:D
    I thought it was much better than 13 Ass's and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

cursai wrote: »
    X men First Class.........:o

Extremely disappointed.....cgi was bad...
    Magneto o Tooles accent at the last half hour
    Why did xavier let his 'siister' go with the maniac terrorist
    When Moira Mc Taggart says to xavier at the end that shell never reveal where he is...................whats to stop them getting his postal address or look for the big mansion thats probably in his name
    Beast looks like a furby
    Where did they get permission to take the blackbird from the hangar

other than that yer one played Mystique was good and so was Xavier!

I loved it. I'm not going to launch in to a massive defense of the film, some of your points are pertinent, but can easily be explained away, some of them are just plain wrong. Look, I understand, it didn't hook you early and you just lost interest in following properly. It's not perfect.

Personally, everything I hate about prequels and films like this are absent in this film. Like, what they're basically doing is showing some of mageto's backstory (I hate when they do that(starwars prequels, wolverine comics/film I'm looking at you)), but he's a badass. What he's doing is cool, and completely relevant to character. It is MAGNETO.

Fassbender does a great job. A great, great job.

What's wrong with hearing an Irish accent in a film? Are you some sort of SELF HATING IRISH MAN or something? (<- smiley face.)

I thought it was a very good film. Not perfect, but perfect for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Watched The Langoliers recently, as part of my "educate the wife" programme.

She loved it, but it outstays it's +4 hours duration by about 2 hours :-)

You can't beat the hokey Stephen King films!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Directors Cut of Cinema Paradiso

It is Magnificent

That is All

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Pirates of the Carribean: on stranger tides. one word: meh!

Maybe I had high expectations but there was limited funny parts and just wasn't the same without Orlando and Keira. Although Penelope Cruz and Blackbeard played a great performance!

I expected Jack Sparrow to bring something new to the film but it was the same stuff as before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

X-Men First Class: Good, but one oddity that really stood out was Magneto's blatantly obvious Irish accent during the entirety of the beach scene, guess it came out with the necessary rise in tone/volume during said scene but I found it hard to imagine that was the best they could shoot, considering how good he was up to that point. Also thought one or two of mutants were incredibly lame, notably the dragonfly-esque girl, but I guess that's probably more to do with the comic, which I've no interest in. Definitely a good film though. Preferred it over the preceeding X-Men films.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: Again, good, certainly disappointing is an accurate statement but at the same time, by no means bad and still worthy of a watch even at the long run time. Really enjoyed it, but it's major failing was a total lack of ship faring adventures; for a film about pirates, it's a bit of a glaring oversight. Strong performances though and some beautiful visuals.

Dolans Cadallic: Good non-horror film based on the Stephen King story that's both faithful to the material and holds up well in terms of acting/cinematography. Really enjoyed it, one of the better Stephen King adaptions, and I'd not heard of it until relatively recently even though it was released 2 years ago. Characters could have been fleshed out way more, if I had to pick a fault.

Quick and the Dead: Ridiculous, stupid, over the top and consistently cringeworthy film that just all balls together in a really enjoyable way. Thumbs up Sam Raimi!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

black death with sean bean, worth a watch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement