Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pirates 4, its ok, nothing amazing, not terrible, slightly less of a convoluted mess that the last two were, Ian McShane is brilliant as Blackbeard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Don't Say a Word.

Brittany Murphy was brilliant in it.

The movie itself was a bit hammy and plot holey, but she made up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Just got Hot Tub Time machine ... Was expecting it to be terrible but was actually quite funny ... Probably my expectations were so low for it I ended up enjoying it!

had sky movies for half price for a few months there and watched the hangover and hot tub in the one week , much perfered hot tub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

hot tub time machine was very funny, thought it would be cheesey crap, so happy days...
    just watched 4321 one of noel clarkes films, decent show, worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Tale of a Fox - a french film from 1931. While the storyline is different (with similarities) I have to say Fantastic Mister Fox is just a rip off of this film. The same kind of stop go animation, the fox character is identical and the whole outlook is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Poltergeist - I liked it. The only problems for me are: 1)
    The middle with the little medium woman where it all becomes a bit ridiculous imo.
    2) The score. Jerry Goldsmith did an amazing job on The Omen but here I felt the score was too... Spielberg-y. It has that E.T./family fantasy feel. I know this wasn't a very dark horror film but the score should have been a little more brooding and ominous. It gets very light whenever Diane hears her daughter's voice which was annoying or even in false moments of security it instantly became more happy rather than being a premonition for what's to come.

3)Sometimes the character of Diane annoyed me. I have no idea why.

I don't know whether to accredit the camera work to Spielberg or Hooper but I loved it. I particularly love the moment when Diane is running down the hall to
    the room where here children are trapped
    and it just stretches on. Great slow shots too. 3/5 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

All or Nothing
    A Mike Leigh movie from a few years back starring Timothy Spall and James Corden. It's the story of a London cabbie and his family, wife works in a supermarket, the son (corden) just lies about the house and swears a lot and the daughter is a cleaner. An enjoyable movier, follows the family over a few days. The wife has fallen out of love with the husband but a family tragedy helps them get things back on track. I was very impressed by Cordens performance.

Hanna
    Really enjoyed this movie although I felt the ending could have been a bit better. The Chemical Brothers music really fitted all the actions scenes very well. Good performances from Ronan and Blanchett. The english family were excellent, I hope they are ok.

Farewell
    Probably me favourite movie of the year so far. It tells the story of how man brought about the end of communism. Emil Kusturica plays the lead role (never knew he acted, thought he was only a director) along with Guillame Canet is his French counterpart. It built to a great finish. Really enjoyed the guy playing Regan,had his hamminess down. There probably was a bit of dramatic licence in the script but I would have no problem recommending this. Plan on reading the book in due course

Sophies Choice
    I have heard loads about this movie over the years but only saw it for the first time last week. It was ok. I was more involved with the story set during the war and the build up to her choice (which was shocking), found the U.S part of the story slightly grating for some reason. I thought Kevin Kline was a bit OTT.

How I ended the Summer
    A russian movie where the leads shared the acting honours at the Berlin Film Festival. Seen it on it's last day in the IFI, was in screen 3, which I never knew they had. It's based on a bleak polar station in the artic. Young guy and old guy don't exactly get on, young guy has to pass on an important message but the distrust and fear between them means he doesn't and goes on from there. Not a huge amount happens but it is acted well, it looks good and it builds to a very good end. It was over 2hrs long but the time flew by. I enjoyed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Hurt Locker- Enjoyed it, could have had a bit more action, small bit boring in places, yet dually tense.

Great Escape- Most enjoyment I've found in a film in quite some time.

50 Dead Men Walking- Was worth the watch.

Burn after reading- Utter tripe...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Finally saw Cloverfield this afternoon. I knew the premise, but aside from that I'd managed to avoid reviews and publicity of any kind. I enjoyed it. It wasn't particularly profound, but it was personal, and though the pedant in me wanted the lead characters to be less good-looking and the camera-holder to occasionally freak out and drop it or run with it pointing the wrong way, or the battery to die, overall I thought it was effective. So many disaster movies are distant and heroic that it's nice to get one that gets up close with some of the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched The Loved Ones last night as part of Film4's Australian season.Not a bad horror/thriller about a guy who turns down a girls request to go to the prom with dire consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Confessions of a Dog

192 minute indictment of the Japanese police system. There's a sort of Goodfellas on the other side of the law vibe to it. A timid police officer (a superb Shun Sagata) is promoted by a seemingly friendly chief, but things quickly take a turn for the illegal. It's very angry stuff, a call to arms and very provocative - so much so that it was banned in Nippon itself :pac: It points a finger at corrupt authorities, mass media and even the general public, most notably in a fourth wall breaking epilogue that is notably a rare piece of stylistic showmanship from director Gen Takahashi. Otherwise, it's filmed realistically (some might say blandly), borderline documentary and is admirable in its refusal to stay grounded and not give into more exaggerated dramatic license. This is a film happy to simply show a press conference, and most acts of violence are committed off screen.. It's a bit of a long haul at over three hours, but it really gets into the inner workings of the system, and in more general terms shows how Japanese workers are effectively forced to marry their job. It's not the most original story, the basic rise and fall story having been done before albeit in different settings, but it has an infectious anger and passion that is all too rare in cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Five Minarets in New York

Worthy Turkish film about two cops sent to New York to capture the head of a terrorist organisation.

Very good shooting scene in the first 10mins. Hadji, played by Haluk Bilginer, really makes the film. The acting is brilliant.

Worth the watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Win Win: :(:(

I like Thomas McCarthy, I like the cast, but this is distressingly bland stuff. Indie by the numbers, extremely predictable and all in all rather dull. Some decent performances, but it's a film that's so inoffensive it's almost insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just finished watching Hot Tub Time Machine - man, it is so much better than I thought it was going to be. Really funny...one of the better comedies I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Due Date - it was funny but i dont think i'd watch it again. nothing special imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

just watched neds, a scottish film very good well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

just watched neds, a scottish film very good well worth a watch.

I saw the trailer for this and it looked good, will go see at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Man on Fire Always a good watching. I quite like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Just finished watching Hot Tub Time Machine - man, it is so much better than I thought it was going to be. Really funny...one of the better comedies I've seen in a long time.

loved that movie too , saw it the same week as the hangover , give me hot tub any night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Spartan:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360009/

Val kilmer put in a very good performance and it had a great story to it. Shame that Hollywood took over the last 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hanna - Very good, Saoirse Ronan has really come into her own, excellent performance. Well worth seeing. 8/10

True grit - Better than the original in my opinion. Hailee Steinfeld is excellent along with the always brilliant Jeff Bridges(well nearly always!!).9/10

Burn after reading - Tries to be too clever. Usually enjoy coen brother films but not this. Funny scene with
    George Clooneys characters Dildo chair!!
    only laugh i got!!3/10

Eagle eye - quite good thriller. 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Unknown - pure garbage. It was pure Nicholas Cage fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

True Grit - good but not as good as I thought it would be. Bit boring tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cloak and dagger - Gary Copper as a WW2 scientist/spy. It was rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

saw 88 minutes last night on tv3,one of the worst films ive seen in a long time.story made no sense what so ever.it has to be pacinos worst film,one highlight the film had was the red head in it,her acting was so bad it was fascinating just to watch her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Tron:Legacy on BluRay, I never thought it was possible to produce such absolute garbage, loads of snazzy graphics and it looked great on BluRay and I'm sure it was even better in 3d in the Cinema, however could they not have made it half bearable. It was a bit like Jonny Quest which some of may have watched when we growing up.

That is two films I have seen now recently in which the graphics are brilliant but the plot and acting were like something from a school play. Skyline being the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    True Grit - good but not as good as I thought it would be. Bit boring tbh

Quite the opposite for me, loved it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Stinicker wrote: »
    Tron:Legacy on BluRay, I never thought it was possible to produce such absolute garbage, loads of snazzy graphics and it looked great on BluRay and I'm sure it was even better in 3d in the Cinema

Nothing looks better in 3D in the cinema - particularly not films that open with an apology that basically says "Sorry, we shot this in 2D but the studio's making us show it in 3D. If most of the film looks like crap, please don't blame us."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

How to Train Your Dragon. Excellent movie. Great fun, good moral that isn't shoved down our throats, and Scottish accents are always welcome. :D

The only thing was some of the characters were REALLY annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Got this on special offer .Its a animated documentary thats well worth watching.A visually striking film ,reminding us of the massacre in Lebanon in 1982.

Some of the images you would hang on your wall as works of art.
    ...........or maybe its just me

Has Israel made a mass, semi-conscious decision to forget about the Sabra and Chatila massacres of the 1982 Lebanese war, in which Israeli forces allowed Christian Phalangist militia into Palestinian refugee camps to slaughter civilians? This extraordinary animated documentary by Israeli film-maker Ari Folman - a kind of fictionalised docu-autobiography - suggests that Israelis have indeed forgotten, in a kind of huge, willed amnesia. But his movie makes an acid-trip down memory lane, and Folman might have created his generation's very own Apocalypse Now.............

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/nov/21/waltz-with-bashir-folman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement