Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne cinema

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cinema guy

JayeL wrote: »
    Good to see them promoting the cinema in local media - still only able to get showtimes on their website and nowhere else.

BUT - has anyone seen this interview with James Towler, one of the men behind Showtimes Cinemas, in the Meath Chronicle (http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/fightingback/articles/2009/09/16/391309-the-reel-deal-for-hard-times/).

He talks about cinemas being fairly hardy in a recession and how their costs are so much etc. But what do Ashbournians think of this for a pronouncement:

He appears to believe that in the past, Ashbourne people travelled to the cinema in, eh, Navan??? Does he think that as long as he betters the cinema that warns you not to watch Bruno, he's flying?

I grew up in Ashbourne and have been to Navan maybe 4 times in my life! Why would we travel so far to such a small, most-likely inferior cinema when we always had any cinema north of the Liffey closer?

This guy would want to sort out some market research - he obviously doesn't see UCI Blanch or Movies@Swords as rivals when they obviously are.

Hi!! Just to put the record straight on this one,(I hope) we do advertise in the Meath Echo as well as the Meath Chronicle. We are also on Aertel page 323. We have printed and posted 2 sets of flyers and advertised on the backs of buses. We have surveyed the good people of Ashbourne and Rathoath, and have found that almost no one looks at the paper to get film listings times. The problem with the Echo is that it is published by-weekly, so we cant put times on it! Our website has proven to be hugely successful - we use Google Analytics to monitor activity, and our volume is substantial. We are also on Facebook, Bebo and Twitter, not to mention Entertainment.ie!! I never suggested that our catchment area patrons had traditionally visited the cinema in Navan - I was merely making the point that we are a local cinema in a local community, and that I believed that we were doing a good job in our catchment area. Of course people travelled to Swords and Blanch in the past- both good cinemas too. However, our level of business suggests that this is seldom the case any more. I am most grateful to the people of Meath for their continued support and good wishes. I hope this clears this up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

cinema guy wrote: »
    Hi!! Just to put the record straight on this one,(I hope) we do advertise in the Meath Echo as well as the Meath Chronicle. We are also on Aertel page 323. We have printed and posted 2 sets of flyers and advertised on the backs of buses. We have surveyed the good people of Ashbourne and Rathoath, and have found that almost no one looks at the paper to get film listings times. The problem with the Echo is that it is published by-weekly, so we cant put times on it! Our website has proven to be hugely successful - we use Google Analytics to monitor activity, and our volume is substantial. We are also on Facebook, Bebo and Twitter, not to mention Entertainment.ie!! I never suggested that our catchment area patrons had traditionally visited the cinema in Navan - I was merely making the point that we are a local cinema in a local community, and that I believed that we were doing a good job in our catchment area. Of course people travelled to Swords and Blanch in the past- both good cinemas too. However, our level of business suggests that this is seldom the case any more. I am most grateful to the people of Meath for their continued support and good wishes. I hope this clears this up!!!

Fair play for the post.

Have you advertised elsewhere bar the two papers you mentioned and the buses?
    Local shops etc. Tesco, SuperValu, Dunnes and so on.

Also is there any plans for say a "buy one get one free" ticket night during the week?
    That would get a lot of people in for during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

cinema guy thanks for the post.

I am an avid cinema goer & would normally go during the week in the evening & your staff are always warm & friendly & the screens are always clean but i think it could be busier {us locals want it to be kept open}

I am a social media marketing practitioner & believe it can do wonders for businesses.blogs & social media competitions could work really well for your company.I spend about 30% of my time on social media networks & have not come across your name-would be interested.

Well done, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Great having the cinema there!

Lovely staff (actually find the younger ones to be the most helpful) -
    only problem is......there's absolutely nothing else to do up that way!

Would love to come out after a movie & head in for something to eat nextdoor. Omni used to do a deal with Pizza Hut where the price of a meal would be included with the price of your ticket; would be ideal if something along those lines were to move in.

Blanch or town can sometimes seem more appealing because you can make a day of it instead of literally only having the option of seeing a movie.

I know it's not the cinema's fault that there's nothing doing up there so, I sincerely hope something goes in soon.
    Would be such a pity to lose this great addition to Ashbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Partial to a bit of grub before the cinema. It that way Dundrum town centre wins hands down, bit too far though. The problem for ashbourne retail park is that if a restaurant opened up it would have no other business outside of the hours of 7 to 9. Maybe be bit of business on a Saturday afternoon. It's a catch 22. Just one of those things we'll have to live with!

• Advertisement
Advertisement