Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

That_Guy wrote: »
    AFAIK they're planning to have vendor type things downstairs when you walk in for those who have pre booked tickets online etc.

That'd be great but if they are, no-one appears to have told the staff. My wife mentioned the delay and asked if they'd be getting machines in, the reply (from a member of staff) was "yeah, they probably should".

I met a neighbour coming out of the same film, they made the same point (25 minute delay = trip to Blanch so why bother) and a few dozen at the same showing took their seats well after the film started (we only got sitting down after Purvis shot Pretty Boy Floyd).

As I said, already I'm not sure I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cpu-dude wrote: »
    All in all, very handy especially with it being so close. The biggest screen is number 2 - largest in Leinster apparently.

I don't believe that for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JayeL wrote: »
    That'd be great but if they are, no-one appears to have told the staff. My wife mentioned the delay and asked if they'd be getting machines in, the reply (from a member of staff) was "yeah, they probably should".

I met a neighbour coming out of the same film, they made the same point (25 minute delay = trip to Blanch so why bother) and a few dozen at the same showing took their seats well after the film started (we only got sitting down after Purvis shot Pretty Boy Floyd).

As I said, already I'm not sure I'll be back.

That's a bit ludicrous really. I've not had this experience at this cinema and I hope I don't otherwise until they get all the bugs out then if you've a car, your best bet may Blanch.

Sometimes staff though may not know what the future may hold for the cinema and so are inclined to agree with the customer.

If there's enough complaints about this they may speed up the process but really they should have had this from the very beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a second!
    Turns out it's screen 1 that's the biggest (was in it for Bruno last week - it was muck by the way) and I have to say, haven't seen a bigger screen anywhere before. But I'm only going on what your wan told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Was up there today to see Bruno. It was on in screen 4. Have to say that sound was much better than the last time I was there.

Also noticed that there is a "ticket point" machine beside the lift now on the ground floor.

Anyone hear anything about what restaurants, if any, are opening beside it?
    Also, any news on a replacement for 4Home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Turns out it's screen 1 that's the biggest (was in it for Bruno last week - it was muck by the way) and I have to say, haven't seen a bigger screen anywhere before. But I'm only going on what your wan told me.

Screen 1 is very big. Good sound quality too.

The only thing I dont like are the seats, they are very narrow. But ill get over it

solice wrote: »
    Screen 1 is very big. Good sound quality too.

The only thing I dont like are the seats, they are very narrow. But ill get over it

Is it even bigger than what CineWorld has to offer in Screen 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Saw 'the proposal' in there last night, have to say I was impressed, with the cinema, film was ok :P
    Took us a while to figure out you buy the tickets at the food counter :o

So is there now ticket machines downstairs if you've booked online? Planning to do it online this weekend and would rather not purchase tickets at the food counter particularly when I won't be buying food.

bladespin wrote: »
    Saw 'the proposal' in there last night, have to say I was impressed, with the cinema, film was ok :P
    Took us a while to figure out you buy the tickets at the food counter :o

I was at the same showing but went out to give out to them, they had the picture crooked and it was going to start flashing weirdly when the film came on. Also the sound was a bit off.

And yes, I can confirm that there is a working ticket collection machine at the entrance. There's just the one but it's grand - however if you're getting a student ticket, you still have to collect it at the food counter.

Speaking of which, I still ended up queuing for food (what can I say, I'm a hun-gah) but I thought it'd take no time as there were only 3 people in front of me. But Jesus tonight, the time it took for them to serve people.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart (who's not even 30 yet), the kids behind the counter are seriously in need of adult supervision. They seem to use their time to chat to their mates, flirt and generally act the b****x rather than, y'know, serve people. It took 15 minutes for them to serve the 3 people in front of me - bit of a joke.

Normally I'd feel guilty for bringing in food (cinemas don't make money from showing films, their cut is usually tiny thanks to the big studios) but if this is the craic, I'll be stopping off in Topaz anymore (2 big bags of Maltesers for €4, btw)

• Advertisement

JayeL wrote: »
    I was at the same showing but went out to give out to them, they had the picture crooked and it was going to start flashing weirdly when the film came on. Also the sound was a bit off.

And yes, I can confirm that there is a working ticket collection machine at the entrance. There's just the one but it's grand - however if you're getting a student ticket, you still have to collect it at the food counter.

Speaking of which, I still ended up queuing for food (what can I say, I'm a hun-gah) but I thought it'd take no time as there were only 3 people in front of me. But Jesus tonight, the time it took for them to serve people.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart (who's not even 30 yet), the kids behind the counter are seriously in need of adult supervision. They seem to use their time to chat to their mates, flirt and generally act the b****x rather than, y'know, serve people. It took 15 minutes for them to serve the 3 people in front of me - bit of a joke.

Normally I'd feel guilty for bringing in food (cinemas don't make money from showing films, their cut is usually tiny thanks to the big studios) but if this is the craic, I'll be stopping off in Topaz anymore (2 big bags of Maltesers for €4, btw)

Sure you may as well pull out a portable DVD player and watch something in the car park if you're gonna do something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sure you may as well pull out a portable DVD player and watch something in the car park if you're gonna do something like this.

:) Thought the prices were reasonable, service from one of the 'kids' (I'm over 30) was very good, freiendly, a trait lost in the likes of Blanch etc.

Cost was €36 something, that was 2 tickets, medium popcorn, 2 large cokes and a bag of M&Ms (yeah I know, savages etc hehe).

Was there on Monday and they've definitely now got a ticket collection machine downstairs when you walk in if you've purchased tickets online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jaedan980

Anyone have any idea when Fun Galaxy or the restaraunts beside it are opening??

I went to District 9 last Saturday night and Screen 1 was barely a third full. I booked online and when I checked my credit card statement, it turned out I was charged for both that ticket and two other tickets.

Naturally, I got a bit annoyed and called the cinema, got through to Jamie. He told me that the two tickets might be for a previous film. Sure enough, turns out they never took for the two tickets I booked for The Proposal. In July.

In fairness, he was very apologetic and said it was some kind of problem with the company they use to collect card payments which they've fixed now. But why was it taken the next time I booked with Showtime Cinemas?

I'd advise anyone who booked with them in July to check their statement. God knows you won't hear from Showtime themselves - they've barely advertised and no sign of cinema timetables in local shops etc... .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

They have two for one vouchers in the meath echo and chronicle now.

Geranium wrote: »
    They have two for one vouchers in the meath echo and chronicle now.

Good to see them promoting the cinema in local media - still only able to get showtimes on their website and nowhere else.

BUT - has anyone seen this interview with James Towler, one of the men behind Showtimes Cinemas, in the Meath Chronicle (http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/fightingback/articles/2009/09/16/391309-the-reel-deal-for-hard-times/).

He talks about cinemas being fairly hardy in a recession and how their costs are so much etc. But what do Ashbournians think of this for a pronouncement:
    "In a small town like Ashbourne, people will maybe have gone to a cinema in Navan or wherever. Not being disrespectful to Navan or anywhere else, but if you walk into my cinema, you'll see exactly what's been spent on it. "

He appears to believe that in the past, Ashbourne people travelled to the cinema in, eh, Navan??? Does he think that as long as he betters the cinema that warns you not to watch Bruno, he's flying?

I grew up in Ashbourne and have been to Navan maybe 4 times in my life! Why would we travel so far to such a small, most-likely inferior cinema when we always had any cinema north of the Liffey closer?

This guy would want to sort out some market research - he obviously doesn't see UCI Blanch or Movies@Swords as rivals when they obviously are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Agreed. I've lived in Ratoath for some years and have never been to the cinema in Navan. Always Blanch or occasionally Liffey Valley or Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I went to see District 9 in screen 5 on saturday, and there were about 20 people watching. I feel the cinema needs more advertising.
    Also I found the seats very disappointing, even though I was one row from the back the backrest seemed too far forward so I was pushing back on the back recline with my feet jammed to the floor. Hardly relaxing.
    It didn't seem dark enough too compared to other cinemas, I'm not sure if it was because the screen is massive compared to the room and my jeans took on a glow from the projector room ceiling light.

Technically though, the sound and picture were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Apparently there's an Eddie Rockets going in beside! :D:D:D Woop!
    Chocolate Fudge Brownie me! lol!

Back to the cinema though - what do you guys think of the staff?
    I find they vary, some are great, some not so great :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Mrs Cucina and I went there for the first time last night, to see "Up" in 3D (very enjoyable film).
    Having previously read the comments on this thread, I was interested to see the set-up for myself and came away generally impressed. The staff were very young (like the proverbial police I suppose!) but quite helpful and anxious to please.
    We are not ones to eat in the cinema (hate pop-corn!) but we forgot to bring water so I bought a standard-size bottle and was taken aback to be asked two euros and sixty cent for it! That is OTT in any man's language!

Reclining seats also quite comfortable, with plenty of leg-room.
    The only other down-side was the location of the cinema, which basically is quite isolated and away from the buzz of Ashbourne shops etc. This probably partly explains why the 8:30pm showing had only about a hundred patrons, about a quarter full.
    If I was an investor in this enterprise I would be a bit nervous about its prospects for success but I wish it well...

Back to the cinema though - what do you guys think of the staff?
    I find they vary, some are great, some not so great :-/

I've been to about four movies there at this stage and have always found the staff great. Maybe I've been lucky and have missed the crap ones. ;)

I've not been up to the cinema lately but I have heard rumours of Eddie Rockets going in beside it.

The location is still very questionable but tbh I don't think there's anywhere else they could put it.

I have seen little or no advertising for it bar on the back of a bus in Drogheda. They need to advertise the cinema more especially for those living in the far side of Ashbourne who actually may have no idea the cinema may even exist.

No advertising = no business.

Sure, have you seen the new low-cost store after moving into Merlin? "BuyLo" (or something along those lines).
    Supposed to be the Irish version of Lidl..............really going to attract more business up that way :rolleyes:

I also heard a while back that Penneys was moving into 4home?
    Quite possible that they pulled out - quite frankly there's no business doing up that way.

Going to the cinema is grand if that's all you're wanting, but, Blanch is still best if you want to pick up a few bits while you're out.

Such a pity, I thought that whole place was going to boom from the off.
    Can't see the likes of Argos lasting much longer either........ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

gblh21 wrote: »
    Buy low are not opening now!
    says who?i got a leaflet in the door from them with all their deals for the ashbourne store on it so up until yesterday they definitely were opening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

That's odd...there's signage up on the shop in Ashbourne at this stage.

Not opening?

Hmmm, I must really be going crazy because I could have sworn I was actually walking around it yesterday........
    I think I must have imagined myself buying some Halloween Jellies *goes to check cupboard* :P lol

It's not great, not terrible either.
    Grand for the odd purchase, but, certainly wouldn't bank on it for everything. Seems to be a good for buying things in bulk, but, it's still not that much cheaper than the rest.

Probably won't last too long - good for a look though.
    Better than having to kill time if you're early for a movie by flicking through an Argos catalog you already have at home lol
    It's like unlocking a new level of a game! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

its open alright.your man is talking absolute rubbish. probably looking for attention!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

gblh21 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Ah.....sad meath b******!!!!! Meath c**t stuck up his own hole. Best of luck living life in such a s*** hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned.

• Advertisement

Don't feed the trolls. :rolleyes:

Advertisement