Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JeanKelly

JayeL wrote: »
    the lift appears to be in and they've finished cladding the "gable end" with a weird fin-type design.

I think the "fin-type" design is the same as the logo for the retail park.

I can’t wait for it to open, the cinema is Swords is really nice but I hate the Rollestown road. I saw a bus parked at the 9 mile stone the other evening advertising the Cinema but it just said mid June. I hope they have a membership like Cineworld, and maybe a cheap student offer/membership that might give the teenagers something to do other than hang around outside Tesco or in the playground. Hoping there will be an Eddie Rockets too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Just heard it's supposed to be opening on June 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Markcfagan

Have to agree with Jean Kelly and hope that they have the club membership a la Cineworld. I love the movies and am tired of having to travel so far to see them and getting to Cineworld, which is a great cinema, is very expensive. So here is hoping that Ashbourne gets a doozy of a cinema and supports it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Theres an article on the cinema in this weeks Meath echo.

It says 25 part-time staff positions have already been filled. They got over 350 applications!

The website will launch on June 12th and the cinema opens June 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Theres an article on the cinema in this weeks Meath echo.

It says 25 part-time staff positions have already been filled. They got over 350 applications!

The website will launch on June 12th and the cinema opens June 19th.

About time that website will be open soon. Sick of looking at that "Opening June 2009" crap.

How many screens is the cinema does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

That_Guy wrote: »
    How many screens is the cinema does anyone know?

It's 6 screens from what I heard, pretty average for a town of Ashbourne's size.

They have a Bus Eireann bus in the Ashbourne/Ratoath area with a big ad for the Showtime Cinema on the back, got it in this morning.

I hope they try and drum up a good bit of publicity for this as it's going to be an uphill battle from the word go. Ashbournians have gone to the cinema in Blanch (and Swords to a lesser extent) for years and the city centre is only 30-40 minutes away at off-peak times.

Another thing; because this new cinema is on the outskirts of the town, people will probably drive there - which is fine as there seems to be plenty spaces in the car park. But if you're in the car already and have other things to get, you might just decide to head on to Blanch.

This cinema should look at ensuring they have piles of leaflets in every shop and newsagent in the town, showing cinema times and how to book. Don't waste money advertising in the Meath Chronicle as no-one in Ashbourne reads it. They should also look at doing a deal with a local restaurant, where you could buy a meal for two in Ashbourne and get a discounted ticket to the cinema.

Maybe look at the film club idea that's already been mentioned here, maybe just keep the ticket price below €9 or 2 for 1 on nibbles (I know this is how they make money but they have to differentiate themselves from other cinemas in the area). And given Ashbourne is such a young town, maybe do that thing they have in Vue Cinemas, where they have over-18's screenings, regardless of the film's classification, so that adults can watch a movie in peace.

Anyway, I'm very excited about it all; I go to the cinema a lot and this should be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Friend of mine got one of the jobs.
    Can't wait for it to open, drove by it today - still working on it but fingers crossed it'll be ready by the deadline.
    It's called Showtime right?????

We've been waiting years for a cinema to come here lol
    Hopefully it'll bring a bit more business up that general direction - 4home is completely dead. Heard a rumour the other day actually that it's closing, anyone hear anything??????

4home is completely dead. Heard a rumour the other day actually that it's closing, anyone hear anything??????

It'd be a pity if they closed, I dropped into them the other day for some weed & feed (Jesus could I be more suburban??) and they were completely sold-out of everything bar big sacks of the stuff. So I thought maybe they're doing ok here - perhaps not.

I think that all retailers in the Ashbourne area need to realise just how many of us aren't in Ashbourne until between 6 and 7pm on a weekday because we work in Dublin. 4Home are open until 7pm on Thursday and Friday but other than that, it's 6 hours on Satuday and another 6 on Sunday.

Opening til 9pm should be looked at by more shops; everyone in Ashbourne shopped in Finglas until Victory Value opened and no-one opened past 7pm until Tesco came along; now you can shop til midnight and as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco did a good trade in the kind of things 4Home might sell.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the cinema. Someone said earlier that the website is going live tomorrow, I'll be in there like a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It'd be a pity if they closed, I dropped into them the other day for some weed & feed (Jesus could I be more suburban??) and they were completely sold-out of everything bar big sacks of the stuff. So I thought maybe they're doing ok here - perhaps not.

I think that all retailers in the Ashbourne area need to realise just how many of us aren't in Ashbourne until between 6 and 7pm on a weekday because we work in Dublin. 4Home are open until 7pm on Thursday and Friday but other than that, it's 6 hours on Satuday and another 6 on Sunday.

Opening til 9pm should be looked at by more shops; everyone in Ashbourne shopped in Finglas until Victory Value opened and no-one opened past 7pm until Tesco came along; now you can shop til midnight and as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco did a good trade in the kind of things 4Home might sell.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the cinema. Someone said earlier that the website is going live tomorrow, I'll be in there like a light.

Off the main topic i know, but anytime I've gone into 4Home, there's been a problem with pricing. The price displayed (if there actually is one displayed) on the shelf is never the same as what comes up on the till once they scan it. It's happened to me on about 6 different occasions. So be sure to check the prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I can't wait too, swords is too far, ashbourne distance is just right

• Advertisement

How sad am I? I'm actually checking the website every few minutes; really have to get a life..........

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I hardly ever go to the cinema in Pavillions? Blanch is handier to get to, you can get the bus too but having the cinema in Ash will be brilliant. Still a good walk up to it though from housing areas such as garden city & Alderbrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

www.showtimecinemas.ie is now up and running.
    To those using the cinema from alderbrook etc bus eireann now do a
    town fare for 1.80 to the cinema so get the bus from alderbrook. !

Website is pretty nice. Seem to be a good few showings of certain films a day. Last screening of Transformers next Friday is 23:15. Pretty late IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Why on earth dont more cinemas do a subscription service like cineworld.
    I would buy a subscription in a heartbeat. If i have the subscription via direct debit i dont even notice it. I do notice the high price when i have to buy a ticket though.

If there's enough demand for it they should supply it. It'd be a great idea and like the previous poster said if it was done by direct debit I wouldn't notice it either.

Drove up to it today with my friend and it seems like it could be a rushed opening for them.

Just occured to me yesterday when I saw the place that it's probably mostly upstairs, not at ground level. So while we see all these bare floors when taking a look and deduce that the project is behind schedule, they're probably empty restaurant units that'd be occupied at a later stage.

I've never seen anyone working in there, so perhaps all the action is on the 1st floor!

Just occured to me yesterday when I saw the place that it's probably mostly upstairs, not at ground level. So while we see all these bare floors when taking a look and deduce that the project is behind schedule, they're probably empty restaurant units that'd be occupied at a later stage.

I've never seen anyone working in there, so perhaps all the action is on the 1st floor!

That's a very good point actually. Never thought about that. You could well be right.

A lot of these "country cinemas" I've been in, the lobby and screens are upstairs.

I just want it to be open.

I hardly ever go to the cinema in Pavillions? Blanch is handier to get to, you can get the bus too but having the cinema in Ash will be brilliant. Still a good walk up to it though from housing areas such as garden city & Alderbrook.

Seems to be that the only way of getting there without a car is to get the bus up to it. That is if you don't fancy the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Seems to be that the only way of getting there without a car is to get the bus up to it. That is if you don't fancy the walk.

Or you could get a taxi or cycle :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Got the flyer in the door for the cinema today. Map is very poor as it suggests that the cinema is very close to the "Ratoath roundabout".

:confused:

(I know where the cinema is on the Ballybin Road, but have no idea where the "Ratoath roundabout" is.)

ferga_com wrote: »
    Got the flyer in the door for the cinema today. Map is very poor as it suggests that the cinema is very close to the "Ratoath roundabout".

:confused:

(I know where the cinema is on the Ballybin Road, but have no idea where the "Ratoath roundabout" is.)

Ashbourne Retail Park.... Should be easy enough seeing as it's the only one we've got.

no idea where the "Ratoath roundabout" is.)

Yeah, that's probably the Rath roundabout, which is technically the name of the one up at the Marriott, possibly could've done with running that by a local! Next thing they'll be saying "Rathoath" like a true blow-in!

I was trying to contact them earlier on the number on their website, which was 01-8794601. It said it was the Lighthouse Cinema i.e. the one in Smithfield, but I thought maybe they were related. Turns out they're not and the man on the other line was getting annoyed at all the Ashbournians calling him.

Anyway, I checked again and the info line is now 01-9690004. I know - it begins with a 9! Wtf??! Completely automated - and check out the accent on yer wan! Midlands at its best!

Heading to see Terminator on opening night, anyone else already booked?

Ashbourne Retail Park.... Should be easy enough seeing as it's the only one we've got.

Don't follow you - there's no roundabout at the entrance to the Retail Park.

As JayeL says, the map probably refers to the Rath Roundabout but I can see that causing some confusion if folks reading the flyer don't know where they're going.

Don't follow you - there's no roundabout at the entrance to the Retail Park.

As JayeL says, the map probably refers to the Rath Roundabout but I can see that causing some confusion if folks reading the flyer don't know where they're going.

Never mind the roundabout. It's in the Ashbourne Retail Park near the Marriot and just after the Apple Green garage.

Plus there's a HUGE sign outside the retail park about Showtime Cinemas.

Never mind the roundabout. It's in the Ashbourne Retail Park near the Marriot and just after the Apple Green garage.

That's right - that's where the cinema is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

I have booked my tickets for Transformers 2 in the main screen on opening night cant wait now !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

This is the website . Not too shabby .

http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Turbo33

Hi,

I tried ringing the smithfield number ( waste of time ) and the 01 969 0004 showtime ( this just had information on times ) number but no joy, how did you guys book the tickets?

cheers
    J.

BTW, I dropped over to the cinema yesterday and talked to one of the builders/construction guys and he said they are on schedule to be ready for 2pm tomorrow...strange still looked like alot of work to be done, but starting to look good inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hi Turbo,

if you go onto the site mentioned above and click the drop down menu (under construction) it will give a list of days in the next week, click on the day you want and it will bring you to a page with the movie listings where you can book tickets,

Advertisement