Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Turbo33

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Hi Turbo,

if you go onto the site mentioned above and click the drop down menu (under construction) it will give a list of days in the next week, click on the day you want and it will bring you to a page with the movie listings where you can book tickets,

The site is not showing the days to book now, but got through on the showtime number and spoke to a girl and she said earlier in the week it was working so you can book, but not now, they are working on website, so it might be back later. She mentioned that that Transformers 2 is in 2 formats, digital and 35 mm... strange i thought they would only go with digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Me and my mates are heading to Transformers at 23:15 tomorrow..... Hope there's not too much of a demand for it as we've not booked tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Moved to Ashbourne a few weeks ago and was gutted about the fact there was no cinema... But I didn't have to wait long! Might head down tomorrow evening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

what is the cinema like>?anything to report yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

Anybody been to the new cinema yet whats it like, how much is it to see a film, was it busy ?there are 2 restaurants planned anybody know what they are , there are 9 units in total in phase 2 + the cinema, Fun Galaxy are taking 3 of the units i know anybody know whats in the rest of them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Went last night at 8.45pm to see Terminator Salvation.

When you walk in, there's nothing downstairs, just a security man. There's just fairly wide stairs and a lift.

First thing that struck me (apart from all the yellow and orange around the place) was the lack of a box office or even ticket machines. You just walk in and apparently buy or collect your tickets from the big concession stand, amongst those buying their food. Bit weird, that. And major queue potential.

We were in Screen 4, which was quite big but not a huge amount of seats. Something tells me that was intentional, like they'll be able to fill up the place with just Ashbourne, Ratoath and nearby people. The screen was clear enough (I saw Star Trek with a digital projector before and it either wasn't digital or not up to par but still, no real problem) and the seats were fantastic. Easily the most comfortable I've sat in anywhere. And if your push back, they recline!

All-in-all, it was a good experience and one I'm keen to repeat. We walked there and walked home, what more could we want in this town?!

One note of caution: I'm not sure how many were in other screens but at our screen, it wasn't even a third full. And as I said, it didn't have a huge number of seats. There were no queues, at all, despite the combined box office/sweet counter arrangement. And there's nothing else out there (let's face it, the location ain't great) right now, so those restaurants are needed soon.

But I have another question: do people in Ashbourne know about the new cinema? I live on an estate that didn't get this "Ratoath roundabout" leaflet. If I hadn't had business up in the retail park a few weeks ago (and hadn't been following its progress here), I wouldn't have seen the cinema. And the only other way I could've known was if I'd seen the Bus Eireann bus with the big ad, saying that a cinema was opening somewhere in Ashbourne in mid-June.

And that's only here; how would someone from Dunshaughlin know? Or Ratoath. Would they know where Ashbourne Retail Park is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Good point. If we want the cinema, we need to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

ferga_com wrote: »
    Good point. If we want the cinema, we need to support it.

Bring out a monthly subscription and im in. I'll go there at least once a week.

Otherwise i'll probably just go to see movies whenever im in the mood and walking past a cinema in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I went to it last night and am so glad I did. It was very reasonably priced, but it had a sort of unusual layout if you ask me. No box office and no downstairs areas at all, you just walk in to the lobby, take the stairs (or lift, but we took the stairs) up and you walk through a set of doors that lead to the upper lobby.

You go in and see the massive counters and buy your food, drinks and tickets all at once. The staff were very nice, but seemed a little bit nervous or something, but they were very polite and helpful. The tickets were only E9.50 (40 cents cheaper than Movies @ Swords, 30 cents cheaper than UCI Blanchardstown) and the food and drinks are even better priced too, like E7.00 for a combo meal. The Nachos are big trays with plenty of Nachos and taste the same as Movies @ Swords ones. The Popcorn comes in those same boxes as the ones you get in Lighthouse Cinema, only they sell larger boxes here though, whereas Lighthouse only sell small ones. The Popcorn tasted good too, probably because they actually make it on site, unlike that terrible pre-packaged vacuum-packed stuff that Cinemas like UCI Blanchardstown seem to sell now, you can see them bringing these HUGE sacks across their lobbies and into their concession areas now, which is disappointing. I've also seen this stuff in VUE aswell. But at least this Cinema has nice snacks for customers.

We were in Screen 3 for "The Hangover" and the seats do recline, which I liked, but they were a little small with hardly any arm-rest space but they make up for that with the extra legroom. Overall, this Cinema is top-notch and I will be going back. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was it's name: Showtime Cinemas. It's not very original and when you drive into the retail park, you can see on the signpost it still has Storm Cinemas logo on it, which they have failed to remove as of yet. The staff uniforms are very unusual too, they have white shirts, navy blazers and black trousers. They are very posh looking and look more like staff uniforms from a classic theatre than a traditional Cinema of nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 That Gal

I've friends that work in the cinema, I read a bit above where someone mentioned what it is like inside, well the reason for the empty space downstairs is because in time that is actually gonna be where people who have booked online can collect there.
    To save them time in the line for food, the reason for buying tickets and food on the same till is actually to save people time. Over the last 5 years new cinemas have being doing this and will continue on doing it in future new cinemas.
    They asked many people before building the cinema which they would prepare and most agreed to be able to buy at the same till instead of waiting at one for half an hour for tickets and another at food.. yes its awkward for those that just want tickets but to save that is why there will be downstairs to collect pre booked. You really cant satisfy everyone i guess..

the cinema holds over a 1000 seats. Screen 1 is the main.. 400 seats. Rest can have from 90 to 140.
    Lots of leg room and the most comfortable chairs ever.
    Price rage.. yes tickets are expensive even more so after 5pm. But its the same everywhere these days.. one thing ash has better is food combo prices they are cheaper than other Irish cinemas.

I really enjoyed my experience there i found everyone polite and helpful. I heard management are lovely too and have customers and staff best interest at heart.:):pac:

• Advertisement

ahha in reply to above about staff uniforms..
    I thought that too :S

apparently they were happy though because a tie or Dickie bow was planned.. thankfully that went downhill.

They are nervous yeah, but there is actually a lot to learn you'd be surprised.
    Each member of staff is equal, nobody is above anyone else they all do EXACTLY the same job. Nobody is set on one thing.

Although you may see the same person on till from time to time. They also clean screens, toilets, floors, stock up, change the gas tanks for the drinks, make popcorn, do screen checks, toilet checks and take out bins etc. And those large cardboard advertisements take 3 people to make and some time.
    In about a week or so when they are settled in the nerves will die down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

Oh everyone is nervous in a new job, lemme tells ya! Tell your friends they are excellent and the service is top-notch! Do they like it? I didn't see any supervisors there though. Thank Goodness they don't have bow ties, etc. Their uniforms are very trendy, LoL!

yeah they dont have any just yet, a group came down from storm in belfast ( prob heard the odd accent around the place) lol. to help out this week they all head home soon though so 4 supervisors have to be picked from the 25 part time staff..

That Gal wrote: »
    a group came down from storm in belfast....to help out this week

I thought that this cinema was going to be a Storm cinema but they subsequently pulled out. So is Showtime just a different brand of Storm Cinemas?

Also, any word on what restaurants are going in next door?

JayeL wrote: »
    I thought that this cinema was going to be a Storm cinema but they subsequently pulled out. So is Showtime just a different brand of Storm Cinemas?

Also, any word on what restaurants are going in next door?

Eating Time Restaurants???? Would coincide well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

4home is completely dead. Heard a rumour the other day actually that it's closing, anyone hear anything??????
    I was passing by today and there's a sign on the corner advertising their closing down sale... "Everything must go". I wonder what, if anything, will go in that unit instead.

The cinema looks good from the outside. It's a pity all the units underneath are vacant, it detracts from it a little.

I was passing by today and there's a sign on the corner advertising their closing down sale... "Everything must go". I wonder what, if anything, will go in that unit instead.

The cinema looks good from the outside. It's a pity all the units underneath are vacant, it detracts from it a little.

They'll need to get something decent in there quick. A restaurant is planned and will be nice but there's not a whole lot in that retail park. An electronic place, a cinema and Argos I think. There might be one more shop but I don't usually wander up there.

A coffee place like Starbucks or Insomnia or something would be nice to go there. I can see some shi*e sports shop going in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I went to it last night to see the Hangover. Here's my impressions.

- Nice open entrance, close car park that will always have spaces.
    - Flat screens everywhere showing trailers and the upcoming shows / times.
    - Second floor, you purchase your tickets at the same time / place as your food.
    - Cleverly, the popcorn is pre buttered (no doubt to save mess in the long run).
    - 2 Hangover tickets, 2 large drinks, 1 large popcorn and bag of M&M's was c. €35.
    - We were in screen 3, small but cosy. Seats are adjustable backwards and quite comfortable.
    - Screen is large with no problems, my only complaint was that it coud have been louder and darker (the turned on the lights at the side a few times for no reason and blinded the f**k out of me ha).

All in all, very handy especially with it being so close. The biggest screen is number 2 - largest in Leinster apparently.

Weird the way Screen 2 is the biggest!

It's not lol.
    Screen 1 is the biggest. Holds 400.
    screen 2 is next up, only because thats the only 3d screen.( so if anybody is planning on seeing jonas brothers 3d thats where it will be shown.. ahha)
    Rest are all more a less the same.
    Screen 1 is pretty amazing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

That Gal wrote: »
    It's not lol.
    Screen 1 is the biggest. Holds 400.
    screen 2 is next up, only because thats the only 3d screen.( so if anybody is planning on seeing jonas brothers 3d thats where it will be shown.. ahha)
    Rest are all more a less the same.
    Screen 1 is pretty amazing though.
    Strange, the girl at the till said to me it was Screen 2 with 200 seats - maybe she should take a look herself :-)

Weird the way Screen 2 is the biggest!

Only in Ashbourne. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Visited the cinema during the week. I found the following...

Not a lot of room in the seats, they are quite narrow and close together, I could hear the guy breathing through his nose next to me we were that close!! No elbow room what so ever if people are sitting both sides of you. They do recline, but don't stay reclined

Screen was of a good size, only complaint being seats are not back far enough from the screen imo.

Staff are very friendly and look the part.

The door when you enter the cinema (screen 6) is quite loud and can be destracting during the movie when people are going to the toilet etc

Will probably still use Blanchardstown as my local cinema.

Was there yesterday to see Transformers with a mate.

I was very very impressed by the cinema. Staff were very welcoming and friendly and the screen we were in was great. Screen 5 by the way.

On walking in though it was slightly warm and didn't seem like any air conditioning was on but I adapted to the climate.

Had a lot of leg room in the seats. Even my tall mate had lots of leg space too.

The chairs were quite comfortable and unfortunately the chairs didn't stay fully reclined which is a pity but overall it is a great cinema. Very impressed with it. I'll definitely be attending again.

Does anyone know if the cinema was closed yesterday evening (Sunday 28/6)? A friend of mine on Facebook reckoned it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 dymondz

Does anyone know if the cinema was closed yesterday evening (Sunday 28/6)? A friend of mine on Facebook reckoned it was.

Nope i was there last night myself watching the Hangover.

My impressions are its a lovely big clean cinema. Good idea to purchase your ticket along with your food.

One major drawback is the sound.....we were in screen 1, quite big and me and my mates found it very hard to hear indeed, seemed like the speakers at each side were not switched on. I wanted to let some member of staff know when i was leaving but no-one was available except a security guard.

dymondz wrote: »
    Nope i was there last night myself watching the Hangover.

My impressions are its a lovely big clean cinema. Good idea to purchase your ticket along with your food.

One major drawback is the sound.....we were in screen 1, quite big and me and my mates found it very hard to hear indeed, seemed like the speakers at each side were not switched on. I wanted to let some member of staff know when i was leaving but no-one was available except a security guard.

There's been a few instances like this in a few cinemas I've been in. I always thought that these speakers were only used for films which only have surround sound.

I don't know though. Maybe send them an email and ask them. They'll definitely take your query on board seeing as they'll want to filter out all the problems early on as it's only a new cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Went to the cinema last night. "The Hangover" in Screen 1.

Overall, very good. Don't see what peoples problem is with buying food/tickets at the same counter. Popcorn was good. Seats were comfortable.

Only niggle was the sound. The volume seemed quite low compared to other cinemas. Now I know "The Hangover" is not a big sound movie, but it was quite hard to hear what some of the actors were saying when people were laughing.

We went to the 9pm showing of Public Enemies on Wednesday night, which we had booked tickets for.

Turns out they still don't have ticket collection machines or even a separate ticket queue and as a result, it took a good 25 minutes to pick up our pre-booked tickets. In the same time, we'd have gotten to UCI in Blanch, where we could collect tickets.

The difference is that we didn't allow ourselves 25 minutes to collect tickets and if that's going to be the situation for the foreseeable future, we might as well go to Blanch. At least they have restaurants etc. within walking distance.

The cinema's screens etc. are up there with the best of them but the actual organisation of the place is a joke and I'm not sure I'll be back until they get that aspect sorted. I don't mind queuing for food but having to queue to collect pre-booked tickets is just not on.

• Advertisement

We went to the 9pm showing of Public Enemies on Wednesday night, which we had booked tickets for.

Turns out they still don't have ticket collection machines or even a separate ticket queue and as a result, it took a good 25 minutes to pick up our pre-booked tickets. In the same time, we'd have gotten to UCI in Blanch, where we could collect tickets.

The difference is that we didn't allow ourselves 25 minutes to collect tickets and if that's going to be the situation for the foreseeable future, we might as well go to Blanch. At least they have restaurants etc. within walking distance.

The cinema's screens etc. are up there with the best of them but the actual organisation of the place is a joke and I'm not sure I'll be back until they get that aspect sorted. I don't mind queuing for food but having to queue to collect pre-booked tickets is just not on.

AFAIK they're planning to have vendor type things downstairs when you walk in for those who have pre booked tickets online etc.

Advertisement