Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Good going Mallards.
    Original for sure. Kinda Uluish but original.
    mallards wrote: »
    I know we are quite far down the line with this and I wasn't sure if we had to stick to the blade templates given. but I had an idea. If I moved the handle further up the blade it gives a unique looking knife plus better control over the blade. It would allow more force to be used for chopping or on the point of the blade to cut through gristle and sinew. My drawing skills are kack but with the right shaped blade and handle material.......

Knife.jpg

Mallards

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Mallards,
    Variation on a theme.:D

beaverbga.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Geez thats weird!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    nice to see some different ideas coming through

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    cliffbg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

3mm it is girls ,100mm of something and of some design in a full tang configuration.
    were flying sep 1 only 175 days away .

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    cliffbg.jpg

I like, but why oh why the bent back? Can't we have this in straight? ;o)

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    lordarpad

We are on the same page as to a straight hand knife.

This is where I would like to get to.
    cff73.jpg

But Davy informs me the blade profile / grind cannot be sourced commercially. So the hunt is on for a similar blade profile and with a straight hand, not easy to find.

cliffbg.jpgcompanion2bg.jpgfox1bg.jpgnozh01.jpg

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Morning folks

Sorry I havent been so active over the last couple of days. Lot's of work going on around the house.

DoubleBarrell
    They are some handsome looking blades you came up with for us.
    When I said that the Blades cannot be sourced commercially that did not mean we can't have that Blade profile. I can make the blade that's part of the build. If I am right we seem to have found a profile which suits almost everyones needs in the Randall [above] .

We really have come a good way down the road
    4" / 100mm Blade
    1/8" / 3mm thick
    Pathfinder Profile
    Full Tang
    Stainless to suit climate, I have some sandvik 12c27 steel which is a great knife steel

Now all we need to work on is a handle and a sheath

For the handle which is next, the most important thing is the shape and the feel in the hand a custom knife should feel very comfortable and safe to hold and use.

Other areas to be looked at here are the handle material itself and any fixtures or fittings (pins, bolsters, etc.) also embelishments like engraving etc.

The handle should be approx 5" /125mm long giving the overall length to be approx 9" / 225mm

To help get you started....

Right Click on the image below and select "Print Picture" ... Landscape.... Fit to media ... on a sheet of A4 paper and start drawing hopefully someone can post some really nice results.

needs-handle.jpg

Good luck

regards

Davy

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    davymoore wrote: »
    Morning folks

Sorry I havent been so active over the last couple of days. Lot's of work going on around the house.

DoubleBarrell
    They are some handsome looking blades you came up with for us.
    When I said that the Blades cannot be sourced commercially that did not mean we can't have that Blade profile. I can make the blade that's part of the build. If I am right we seem to have found a profile which suits almost everyones needs in the Randall [above] .

We really have come a good way down the road
    4" / 100mm Blade
    1/8" / 3mm thick
    Pathfinder Profile
    Full Tang
    Stainless to suit climate, I have some sandvik 12c27 steel which is a great knife steel

Now all we need to work on is a handle and a sheath

For the handle which is next, the most important thing is the shape and the feel in the hand a custom knife should feel very comfortable and safe to hold and use.

Other areas to be looked at here are the handle material itself and any fixtures or fittings (pins, bolsters, etc.) also embelishments like engraving etc.

The handle should be approx 5" /125mm long giving the overall length to be approx 9" / 225mm

To help get you started....

Right Click on the image below and select "Print Picture" ... Landscape.... Fit to media ... on a sheet of A4 paper and start drawing hopefully someone can post some really nice results.

needs-handle.jpg

Good luck

regards

Davy

Davy, before I go there. the blade grind, can we do hollow ground? and I'd like to discuss the steel separately please :) Having opinions there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    lordarpad wrote: »
    Davy, before I go there. the blade grind, can we do hollow ground? and I'd like to discuss the steel separately please :) Having opinions there ;)

Lordar,
    What do you consider the pros and cons of both hollow grind and flat grind
    (I gave my opinion above and would be interested to hear yours also)

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Lordar,
    What do you consider the pros and cons of both hollow grind and flat grind
    (I gave my opinion above and would be interested to hear yours also)

Hi Mellor

hollow grind = potentially sharper and easier to sharpen, not quite as sturdy
    flat grind = sturdier, harder to get sharp and resharpen

also hollow = more aesthetically pleasing ;)

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Ok lets look at grinds

TYP.jpg

I've always preferred flat grinds for 3 reasons

1. They are easier to make than hollow grinds (at least for me)
    2. They are very easy to sharpen
    3. There is less chance of an edge chipping out

I was looking for a way to explain this better and found this.

Hollow

For a hollow grind, the edge is made by two concave scoops. If done right, this leaves the edge extremely thin and sharp, for exceptionally-good slicing ability. This type of edge works best when high-performance cutting is needed. It is less suitable for chopping tasks, because the same thinness that gives the edge such great slicing performance also makes this format more prone to chipping or rolling during high-impact activities. That makes this edge especially good for chores that emphasize cutting over impact uses.

- Convex

This grind has the sides of the blade arcing down in a convex curve to the edge. The edge on this format is often very sharp, because the convex curves run all the way to the edge without a secondary bevel. It is also a strong edge format, because the thin edge thickens quickly enough to have plenty of metal behind it. The main drawback of this format is that it is extraordinarily difficult to re-sharpen. Knifemakers today tend to use a slack-belt grinder to apply this edge format. You can sharpen the edge in a normal bevelled manner, but then you'll end up with just a regular bevelled edge that thickens quickly, a format that will be strong but won't be the best cutting format.

- Flat

The flat grind is a format that combines most of the cutting ability of the hollow grind, with most of the strength of a convex grind. Flat bevels run all the way from spine to the edge bevels. This can leave the edge thin for high-performance. However, the edge thickens linearly as it moves up, so it ends up stronger than a hollow grind. This grind is also expensive to make, as the maker is required to remove a lot of metal. The combination of cutting ability and strength makes this a great all-around grind. From kitchen knives (which require thin, hi-performance cutting edges) to kukris (which require strong, shearing edges), and all uses in between, the flat grind is often an excellent choice.

Hope this helps

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only

Talk to me about steel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Talk to me about steel

Let me start out by saying that I do not consider stainless acceptable steel for a knife. I am not aware of a stainless that can hold up to a good knife steel in ability to accept and hold an edge. OTOH knife steel needs maintenance in that it needs to be oiled and that it rusts if you don't do so. Especially in this clime.

For me that means that for an easily maintained knife sandwich steel is the solution: knife steel in the middle in order to accept and maintain a good edge, stainless around it for good maintenance. I have a Helle knife made from that steel and it has served me very well.

The other option that I can see is a pattern welded or folded steel, but I agree that they are too expensive for a default option.

This is my current knife:

eggen.jpg

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Ok lets look at grinds

TYP.jpg

I've always preferred flat grinds for 3 reasons

1. They are easier to make than hollow grinds (at least for me)
    2. They are very easy to sharpen
    3. There is less chance of an edge chipping out

I was looking for a way to explain this better and found this.

Hope this helps

Davy

well, since I have no intention to chop with this knife, hollow ground would suit me ;) BTW I look at the above as a fake hollow grind, as the actual cutting edge has a flat grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    this my buck 110 folder i just got back from the us after a new blade fitted for just 10 bucks including post .
    to my mind its the best hunting knife any one any where can use .
    3mm thick ,blade length 95cm ,420 hc stainless steel .
    you would shave a cat with it .
    i skinned the last 3 calfs this eve with it and broke them down glad to have it back .

Also have one - brilliant lock knife - great to hold an edge......why did you have to get the blade replaced?

As Buck offer a lifetime guarantee was the price for P.&P.

J.R. wrote: »
    Also have one - brilliant lock knife - great to hold an edge......why did you have to get the blade replaced?

blade was very worn and i snapped the tip off it hunting one day ,after 15 years of hard use im happy with that .
    10 dollars cover post and the re blading they done it in 5weeks from door to door

Maybe, I don't know yet.

95 cm blade? I have swords that are shorter ... ;o)

the buck 110 is a icon ,often copied never equaled.
    the knife were building will want to be one hill of a knife before i carry it before my buck.
    hello mr stag let me take your coat .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.

sorry.......I seem to have missed something.......95cm blade????.....can't figure out where this is mentioned!

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    look at jwshooter's post, which you quoted: 3mm thick ,blade length 95cm ,420 hc stainless steel .

sorry.......I seem to have missed something.......95cm blade????.....can't figure out where this is mentioned!

a type o on my behave JR i meant 95mm not cm .could happen to a bishop

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    a type o on my behave JR i meant 95mm not cm .could happen to a bishop

I figured, but also could not resist. and I once in a conversation gave the calibre of a tank gun as 120 cm ...

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Let me start out by saying that I do not consider stainless acceptable steel for a knife. I am not aware of a stainless that can hold up to a good knife steel in ability to accept and hold an edge. OTOH knife steel needs maintenance in that it needs to be oiled and that it rusts if you don't do so. Especially in this clime.

For me that means that for an easily maintained knife sandwich steel is the solution: knife steel in the middle in order to accept and maintain a good edge, stainless around it for good maintenance. I have a Helle knife made from that steel and it has served me very well.

The other option that I can see is a pattern welded or folded steel, but I agree that they are too expensive for a default option.

I am on the look out for a resource for laminated steel but if you already know where to get some please let me know.

Some of these steels are very hard to aqquire and some very expensive as you know, but let's see what we can find. It will at least give us more options.

Davy

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I am on the look out for a resource for laminated steel but if you already know where to get some please let me know.

Some of these steels are very hard to aqquire and some very expensive as you know, but let's see what we can find. It will at least give us more options.

Davy

sorry, have to pass :( Would have loved to be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi Mellor

hollow grind = potentially sharper and easier to sharpen, not quite as sturdy
    flat grind = sturdier, harder to get sharp and resharpen

I'd agree that hollow is potentially sharper for a given thickness (and also is weaker). But easier to sharpen?? I wouldn't think so, most shapening tools I have are flat, which makes the hollow curve awkward. I do have a special curved stone for concave chisels, but it would be common for the average hunter

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'd agree that hollow is potentially sharper for a given thickness (and also is weaker). But easier to sharpen?? I wouldn't think so, most shapening tools I have are flat, which makes the hollow curve awkward. I do have a special curved stone for concave chisels, but it would be common for the average hunter

the shape is more predisposed to take an edge is what I meant. the glatness of the sharpening tool is IMO not that important, as you are dealing with a very narrow area

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Ive managed to track down some of this Japanese (Suminagashi) laminated steel.

It is basically several layers of steel sandwiched together and comprises of

33 layers in total

15 layers stainless steel
    1 layer nickel
    The Core steel is powder met SG2
    1 layer nickel
    15 layers stainless steel.

003.jpg

What do you think of this as an option ?

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    well, since I have no intention to chop with this knife, hollow ground would suit me

I understand your requirments regarding the knife but I'll point out once more that we are designing a knife for the general hunting population. Some of whom will probably be camping, chopping bone or sinew etc. so this has to be taken into account also.

Davy

Advertisement