Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RENT comes to Ireland at last!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tnkrbell

Went to see RENT last night and omg it was fantastic! Absolutely loved it! Had never seen it before and hadn't seen the Helix production so had nothing to compare it to! Was proud to say I was a DCU student last night! Hopefully this is the start of something majorly huge for DCU! Kudos to Bob and John and everyone else involved! Viva la vie boheme!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Went to see this show in Boston a few years ago, I have to say I didn't like it all that much, didn't like the premise of the story "growing up in the AIDS-ridded 80s" or the songs, all seemed pretentious and hyped.

The performances were very good but the 30+ year olds pretending to be 10 years younger doesn't gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

...which was why the oldest member of our cast was 24, and the average age was 20-21...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

dramabob wrote: »
    ...which was why the oldest member of our cast was 24, and the average age was 20-21...

That's the way to do it. Nothing against the 30 pluses but the 20 somethings have more energy and vitality, they give a sort of real agnst and urgency to their performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

dramabob wrote: »

Hmmm that's not counting yourself then? :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm that's not counting yourself then? :D

Of course not! Besides, I was a): Only a cameo and b): Playing Benny's FATHER IN LAW, despite only being 10 years older than Drew, who played Benny :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Big Tone wrote: »
    The performances were very good but the 30+ year olds pretending to be 10 years younger doesn't gel.

When I saw it on Broadway the guy playing Roger was pushing 40!! When he sang about "the arms of a young man" in One Song, an audible laugh went around the theatre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 michaelflynn61

I saw the DCU production twice and was blown away by it. I had previously seen it on Broadway so had big expectations. I was not let down, I wasnt expecting such a top class production, the casting was brilliant!!! You could almost put it on broadway no problems!! If it were to be put on again I would definitely go!!!

Any update on the possibility of a return in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

athtrasna wrote: »
    Any update on the possibility of a return in August?

It's coming back again?

• Advertisement

Not certain, it was mooted for a return to the Olympia if the show booked in didn't book well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not certain, it was mooted for a return to the Olympia if the show booked in didn't book well :confused:

As much as I loved rent, I really don't want to hear anymore about it! yes, it's amazing but it's giving me a headache /end grouchyness.

If they get a 2nd run, surely theres gonna be issues involving the cast/crew etc...

AFAIK they are okay cast wise, they had understudies for the last Olympia run. Though I do think if it were coming back we would have heard by now :confused:

Hiyo all,

No joy in a return to the Olympia unfortunately - Twink's show is booked in for pretty much the whole of August. So if you missed it, I'm afraid that's it!

Thanks again to all who supported us and came to see the show.

Hugs all round,

Bob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

That's a shame. Ye'd be much better than Twink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BalletFreq

I saw it! My friend was in the chorus! I wasn't pushed to go at first, but I got the ticket as a present, and I was on the edge of my seat for the whole show. The songs gave me goosbumps. I love love loved it!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Fantastic! Saw it in April in The Helix. Absolutely brilliant performance.
    Set was fantastic, as were the band. Each character suited and deserved their roles and 'Will I' punched a hole right in my chest, beautiful. From what I remember, Angel stole the show for me, in 'Contact'- Drew Sarich eat your heart out!

A very late well done to all involved.:D

Advertisement