Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RENT comes to Ireland at last!

Options
  • 12-02-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Finally, RENT comes to Ireland!

I can't wait! I first saw RENT on Broadway in 2002, when Joey Fatone from N'Sync was playing Mark (and a surprisingly good Mark too), and fell head over heels in love with the show.

40 of us travelled to New York in January 2007 to see the show again, and we even got to meet the cast! Check out our video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw83hrOfV_A to see more!

Seriously though, if you love musicals, and want to see something that'll tear at your heart strings, make you laugh, make you cry and make you think, RENT is it.

I repeat: I can't wait!

Where: The Helix, DCU, Dublin 9

When:

Tuesday 24th March: 8pm
    Wednesday 25th March: 8pm
    Thursday 26th March: 2pm
    Thursday 26th March: 8pm

How much:

€20 Adult, €15 Students

Tickets:

www.dcuforrent.com/tickets.html
    www.thehelix.ie/2009_Q1/Rent.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Christmas bells are RIIIINGING!!!!

ON TV....AT SAKS....

Cant wait..woop woop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nadiemc

AMAZING!

I'm so excited, its going to be awsome to finally see it on stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

"Where is the rennnnttttttt!? I must have the reennnnnnnnttttt!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

:eek:

Amazing! I must go! I must!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, I love love love this show!!! Seasons of Love, woop!!!

This is amazing news :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

darn, and there isn't a hope in Hell I can go over work boo! Maybe it'll come another time?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

Oh, and there's also a group discount on the 20 euro tickets - groups of 15+ get a 10% discount!

Go on, you know you want to....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I think I shall have to go see this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What's with the "at last"?? Rent had a long run in the Olympia in 2001. IMO it was a pretty dire production of it but it has been here before and UCD did it before Christmas!.

Amateur rights have only been released since the Broadway production closed last year, hence it only now hitting the amateur circuit. Ulster Operatic Society will present a large scale version of the show later in the year, auditions are soon IIRC.

Well in 2001 I was 11 years old so it's kind of an "at last" for me! Depends on your age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

"I thought you wanted us to do a good show. I mean if you wanted us to do a bad show, we could've done Rent"

Saw it on broadway about 8 years ago or so I suppose. Wasn't a huge fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

I cannot believe that RENT is in Dublin!

I'm a huge fan of the movie, but never got to see it on Broadway. Didn't think it'd be coming down Ireland way any time soon!

Looks like I'll be rounding up the troops... and dusting off my soundtrack!

Don't forget - group discounts on the 20 euro tickets!

:P

athtrasna wrote: »
    Amateur rights have only been released since the Broadway production closed last year, hence it only now hitting the amateur circuit. Ulster Operatic Society will present a large scale version of the show later in the year, auditions are soon IIRC.

And we would be more than happy to invite the Ulster Operatic Society to come down to the Helix to see our production - the more the merrier!

I liked rent but not as much as I liked this which makes seeing Rent brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imsohawwt

I can't wait to do this!
    So much fun to be had in so little time...
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FCARTY

i dont know how to use this websitwe, but i agree with IMSOHAWWT that the next few weeks are gona be epic and a bit exhausting but sure that's all part of it. so who are ya IMSOHAWWT? youre being very secretive with your username??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Saw rent in Olympia in 2001 and it was simply awfull. I have not gone to a musical since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FCARTY

there are a lot of shows out there that cater for all different musical tastes, its a shame youre missing out on the many others you could find appealing because one wasnt to your liking, goooo on get back on the horse, you dont know what youre missing! :D

and for everyone else who didnt catch the olympia performance or was too young at the time we promise not to put you off musical theatre for life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imsohawwt

Why it's Angel dear! And I am in accordance with what you are saying -
    musicals are deadly so deal with it. Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Saw rent in Olympia in 2001 and it was simply awful.

I thought likewise!! Luckily I was with a friend who'd seen it in London and they persuaded me to give it another go. So I borrowed the CD, then bought it, then went to see it on Broadway. Maybe "RENT" the DVD version to see if you change your mind? It really is a great show and the Olympia production really did not do it justice IMO.

...all the more reason for coming to see it!

Go on, give it another go :)

Dramabob if you'd stop posting that link thanks, it's terribly terribly spammy and spam isn't allowed on boards.

Seems fair - apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bend, And Snap!

Not to divulge any production secrets but
    it's going to be amazing!
    Super exciting schtuff!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 doylema3

This is really going to be one of the best shows you'll see this year, or ever. I mean how often do you get to see a show of the quality of Rent in Ireland? The last time it was on here was 2001, who know if or when it'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is rent considered to be a great musical?

I saw it in new york and just thought 'meh', I was falling asleep during the second half to be honest. In fairness though, it was the only musical I've ever been to so maybe I'm just not a 'musical' person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 doylema3

Musicals are definetly not everyones cup of tea. I really depends on who you ask. I will admit that Rent is not my number one favourite, but it is a strong second. You'll have the dedicated Rentheads who says it's the best show of all time, while others will hate it. The second act does kinda drag a bit, and at some point is as depressing as hell. Overall though the show has so many good qualities.

New Ticket Prices!

Special Rate for Thursday 2pm Matinee: All €20 tickets are Buy One, Get one FREE, all student tickets are just €10!

The Helix Box Office (01) 700 7000

Get 'em while they're hot, cos they're going fast....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

doylema3 wrote: »
    The last time it was on here was 2001, who know if or when it'll be back

UCD are putting it on in April, so it'll be back pretty soon...;)

Advertisement