Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RENT comes to Ireland at last!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah it was a great show! I thought Mimi and Angel stole the show. And it was fantastic that yer man Roger could actually play the guitar, it's always terrible when someone pretends to play... All the leads were great really, couldn't fault them at all!

The Oirish priest was hilarious, completely threw Collins off his accent! Fantastic...

It was definitely worth the panicked drive over and the getting lost on the way home! :) I'd definitely go see a DCU production again. I think I'll have to go back to DIT so I can do RENT with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I saw this lastnight and I was majorly impressed! That production would put it up to many of the touring musicals that come to Ireland. It's hard to believe it's a student production!

The whole show was brilliant and incredibly close to the Broadway production!

Hats off to everyone involved!!

Out of curiousity, where did the visuals that were projected on the screen come from? they were really impressive! I know some of them were obviously filmed yourselves but they werent all were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dramabob wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of... We pretty much stuck like glue to the script we were given by Weinberger, which seemed to be a match for the Broadway script. Some of the smaller numbers were changed to dialogue (like Collins's entrance "O Holy Night") but otherwise we left it intact.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Oh? I just felt the spotlight was taken off Collins & Angel, in the other versions I'd seen they were the couple that stood out. Anyway it was an amazing production... though if I were you I'd have had issues with the sound guy, he missed a LOT of the cues.

But I don't want to be negative, cos it was fab. And I've seen a LOT of professional shows and don't impress easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

conf101 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, where did the visuals that were projected on the screen come from? they were really impressive! I know some of them were obviously filmed yourselves but they werent all were they?

DCU Drama has an annual Broadway Baby Trip where 40 of our members got to New York for 4 nights and 3 shows - we used this year's trip as an opportunity to film the cast on location in New York!

Glad you enjoyed the show :P

Ooh DramaBob - you made us famous, just saw our comments on AIMS. Now all you have to do is work out which AIMSers we are!

• Advertisement

eeep!

I hope you guys don't mind :P

As for which AIMSers ye are, that might take a little longer.

*starts trying to figure it out*

:D

...like there was ever any doubt...

Seriously though, RENT was up against some stiff competition this year - the Fashion Show, Dance Intervarsities & Arts Week to name but three.

It was close by all accounts, but RENT ended up being the deserving winner of the 2008/09 DCU Best Society Event Award at tonight's Clubs & Socs Awards. Much hullaballoo followed the announcement, accompanied by stage invasions, joyous celebrations and possibly a spot of drinking/dancing. Good Lord.

I'd like to extend huge, huge thanks to everyone in the cast, crew and beyond that made RENT such a memorable event; one that will not be forgotten for many years to come.

You've all been an amazing bunch, and this award is for you.

Now bring on the BICS National Awards next week!

Hugs

Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Great news for those who missed the show this time around, or who saw it and can't get enough of it/want to bring friends/stalk!

RENT IS RETURNING... <snip>

Yup, you read right, this production of RENT has been picked up, with the original cast, <snip> for a week-long run starting June 15th!

Such exciting news for all involved!

Here's your chance to see it again people, tickets should be on sale at www.ticketmaster.ie within the next few days!

RENT Rides Again!

...at a venue we can't discuss...

...but you can read about it here:

Click Here

• Advertisement

Am sorting out the group booking again. Any specials going this time?

Hi athtrasna,

Unfortunately, as it is on in a venue we can't discuss, I don't have as much control over ticket prices / specials as I did for the Helix run...

Sorry :(

But here's hoping to see you there anyway!

Oh, and athtrasna,

I think I've figured out which AIMSer you are; it was the group booking comment that gave you away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

dramabob wrote: »
    Finally, RENT comes to Ireland!

RENT was first in Ireland in 2000 in the Olympia Theatre, Dublin. It was a professional production with a cast brought over from London. I went to see it with a group of my friends. Its easily in my top 3 shows of all time with Phantom & JCS.

I thought that so called "professional" production was brutal. I'm a tough audience but DCU's production wiped the floor with the 2000 cast!

athtrasna wrote: »
    I thought that so called "professional" production was brutal. I'm a tough audience but DCU's production wiped the floor with the 2000 cast!

No way the 2000 professional show was fantastic. You just cant compare the two. A pro show with a pro cast wipes the floor with any amateur production - and thats not any criticism of DCU Drama, I think they did a great production of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'll probably go to see it again in June. But seriously you cant be saying that the touring shows brought over to The Point & the Olympia pale in significance to the shows put on by amateur societies around Ireland. Our amateur societies are good but they're not up to pro standard. As I've already said I liked the DCU version of Rent. It was a great show and a good night out and I'm not criticising it in any way. Angel, Mimi and Mark were the stars for me on the night.

For a start the 2000 production was licensed from the UK but was not a touring production, most of the cast came from Ireland.

https://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2000/jul/23/black-actors-in-musical-rent-forced-to-leave-apart/

Has some info on the makeup of the cast.

I'm not saying DCU's Production was perfect, but I did think it was excellent. One of the things that stood out for me in 2000 was the randomness, the scenes did not fit well together, in fact the synopsis in the programme was pages long. A show should tell its own story and I didn't think that the 2000 production did the show any justice.

DCU managed to get the story across without any of that.

Each to their own I guess but the 2000 production was one of the worst "professional" shows I've ever spent money on. Ooh, new thread idea there!

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm not saying DCU's Production was perfect, but I did think it was excellent.
    Yes i agree it was a very good show and there are some talented actors/singers in the society i hope to see in future shows.Worst show for me would have to be 'The Lion King' in Londons Westend. But only because I got last minute standing tickets and spent 2 hours crippled standing in high heels at the back of the theatre. I spent the interval sitting on the floor of the theatres bar because there were no stools free and dreaded having to go back in to stand for the second half. I swore after this to always buy seated tickets no matter what the cost.

I slept through 90% of The Lion king!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 James Bennett

Damn. I wish I had seen this post in 2006 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

Larkenn wrote: »
    RENT was first in Ireland in 2000 in the Olympia Theatre, Dublin. It was a professional production with a cast brought over from London. I went to see it with a group of my friends. Its easily in my top 3 shows of all time with Phantom & JCS.

That RENT was 9 yeas ago so the "Finally" is perfectly merited imo. However, i saw this production and i was blown away. I saw it on Broadway about two years back and this student production could very easily stand up to that. The two girls that played maureen and joanne, their names slip my mind now were outstanding. I will be going to see it again in June.

Heyo,

Maureen was played by Fiona Carty, Joanne by Stevi Russell.

Big ups to Fiona for getting her 21st plugged on Today FM's breakfast show this morning (and a quick sneaky plug for RENT too)!

4 weeks to go, hurry up and get your tickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

Just got my tickets for this. Really looking forward to it. Has it been shortened at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 doylema3

eimear87 wrote: »
    Just got my tickets for this. Really looking forward to it. Has it been shortened at all?

No its the same as the Broadway versions. we made some changes here and there but these are very small changes

Brilliant. Thanks. Good luck with it hope it all goes well. lookin forward to it.

So i've just discovered i cant go on the night that i've bought my tickets for. I know ticketmaster dont exchange tickets but does anyone have any ideas how i might change them?

Went to see it last night, was absolutely amazing. I've seen ot on Broadway twice and it as almost as good. The voices were amazing and i cried when angel died. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

yeah, it is going well. We have had near 800 people everynight at it. It's great because we are "just students" and that. We had a bit of a dodgy night on our end ( lighting etc) on the first night but it is all sorted now.

Glad you enjoyed it eimear.

Going again tonight, interested to see how it compares to the Helix version!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Saw this last night - definitely a step up from the Helix production, which I enjoyed a lot too. Top-notch performance from the whole cast and band.

Advertisement