Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty on the Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

moonflower wrote: »

his forthcoming solo album....his past work

is that why he's famous?

moonflower wrote: »
    drugs, Kate

Or this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Thanks for posting that. It was excruciating to watch.

It sounded like a lecture from his school principal, maybe the kind of lecture that Pat himself got from the Brothers in O'Connell School all those years ago, - as in always accentuate the negative, eg. "you weren't very popular at school were you", rather than "you were actually quite good at school". Poke fun at each opportunity "My Mum is talking to me secretly" - "well it's not secret now, is it". Ugh.

Any opportunity to delve into something interesting, was cast aside, eg. his relationship with his Dad. Priority had to be given to "the lecture" - the relentless probing about the drugs, "taking responsibility for your actions", "becoming a role model" yada yada. Awful stuff.

.. and yes, that silly girl in the audience needed a sock put in her gob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

Well Pat Kenny did say that all he knew about the Talented(?) Pete, is what he had read (Drugs, Drugs and more Drugs).
    I must admit that Pete was more prepared for the interview, with his one and only fan in the audience (take a look at the embarrasment of the people around her). What a dope head.
    I am a well read music fan who has an opinion of his own and it is that Mr Doherty is a sad talentless fool.

Just in case you havn't read me correctly, if he was playing in my front garden, I would be closing the Blinds.

Gary

whodoo wrote: »
    is that why he's famous?

Or this?

Actually Neither!
    He is famous for nothing but his "Ooh, look at me swagger". Thank God that the recession is here and enough with people being famous because they get themselves in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

While I am not a huge follower of Doherty myself, I think this article in the Times sums it up well...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0209/1233867927376.html

The interviewer should lead the interviewee and make them feel at ease. Sure the guy is only famous for his drugs and Kate, but that is surely old news by now. Would Pat be the same with Paul McCartney?

It reminds me a few months ago when Tony Curtis was on the show, Pat asked about his late wife and said I know you don't like to talk about it...but still tried to press on. You could see the man clearly was distressed but it was like Pat was trying to get the scoop in. Like he is some untrained smug counsellor or something. Its embarrassing that this man represents us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

whodoo wrote: »
    is that why he's famous?

Or this?

To readers of the sun, perhaps it's the latter. To people who can appreciate music and poetry, most definitely the former.

he gets his face into more than the sun, sweetheart. he was on the bbc news and in dozens of news reports when he went to prison. Any mention of him in any medium always has a reference to his drug use/social life. its boring is all im saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Pat Kenny was an absolute disgrace. He completly victimised Pete in that interview. You could see how uncomfortable Pete was the whole way through and he was getting very aggetated with all the questions about drugs and Kate.

Pete is a very complex person. He is talented beyond belief and has a lot more to offer the world than a failed relationship with an ex model and a heroin addicition.

I thought it was dispicable of Pat that he didn't even bother to find out the names of a couple of Pete's songs. It was like a flipping intervention. I know Pete has personal issues, but that is noone else's business. He is one of the best and most talented song writers of a generation and people like Pat need to realise that besides looking down their snooty noses at him!

I may regret this, but just for a laugh.
    There is 1 or maybe 2 people here who think he is interesting. Lets turn the tables on you. Either
    1. If you were to Interview Pete, what would you have asked him. It better be interesting. (and, How did you get on with your Dad is not interesting.)
    2. Point me in the direction of an Interesting song or Poem by Pete. (Songs written by him only please).

Just for the record I would consider people such standard as Nick Cave, Henry Rollins, Joe Strummer, Julian Cope as the kind of artistic people who should be interviewed on the Late Late and have something to contribute to popular culture.
    Should Pete consider himself lucky to get an interview, and should turn up with something to say.

• Advertisement

mspacman wrote: »
    Pat Kenny was an absolute disgrace. He completly victimised Pete in that interview. You could see how uncomfortable Pete was the whole way through and he was getting very aggetated with all the questions about drugs and Kate.

Pete is a very complex person. He is talented beyond belief and has a lot more to offer the world than a failed relationship with an ex model and a heroin addicition.

I thought it was dispicable of Pat that he didn't even bother to find out the names of a couple of Pete's songs. It was like a flipping intervention. I know Pete has personal issues, but that is noone else's business. He is one of the best and most talented song writers of a generation and people like Pat need to realise that besides looking down their snooty noses at him!

I have to laugh at todays society. Is anyone who is pissed or stoned a "Complex Person". How is he any more "Complex" than any other human.
    We all go through the same issues as most of these "Complex" people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Pete Doherty is an utter prat.
    Not only that,him staggering around in his dirty hat is yesterday's news..why the **** did they have him on the late late show?

And much as i hate Pat the plank,i was delighted he pissed that dope moron off with his patronising style of interviewing.
    Maybe the talentless fool will realise his drug use and kate poxy Moss was the only reason he was ever famous.

I hope that girl in the audience got a good slap when she got home,she made a complete tit of herself over a talentless junkie loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

garrycs69 wrote: »
    Well Pat Kenny did say that all he knew about the Talented(?) Pete, is what he had read (Drugs, Drugs and more Drugs).
    All the more reason, why the few positive things he said sounded so insincere.
    It's not much of an excuse for a chap whose paid several hundred K per year.
    I must admit that Pete was more prepared for the interview, with his one and only fan in the audience (take a look at the embarrasment of the people around her).
    You really think he planted her in the audience, and he doesn't have any other fans ?
    I am a well read music fan who has an opinion of his own
    Good for you. :D

Degsy wrote: »
    Pete Doherty is an utter prat.
    Not only that,him staggering around in his dirty hat is yesterday's news..why the **** did they have him on the late late show?

And much as i hate Pat the plank,i was delighted he pissed that dope moron off with his patronising style of interviewing.
    Maybe the talentless fool will realise his drug use and kate poxy Moss was the only reason he was ever famous.

I hope that girl in the audience got a good slap when she got home,she made a complete tit of herself over a talentless junkie loser.

Ain't that the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Maybe the pay cut effected Pat's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rexsavage

There is 1 or maybe 2 people here who think he is interesting. Lets turn the tables on you. Either
    1. If you were to Interview Pete, what would you have asked him. It better be interesting. (and, How did you get on with your Dad is not interesting.)
    2. Point me in the direction of an Interesting song or Poem by Pete. (Songs written by him only please).

Ok this probably wont be interesting to you because you'r obviously not a fan of the man, but he could have asked him stuff that people who are fans would like to hear such as

1. How it felt to make a solo album and what freedoms/restrictions that put on him in creating the music.
    2. Whether the reunion gigs he played with Carl a while back might be something which could lead to future reconcilliation and possibly an album or new release from the Libs
    3. His child and his relationship with his childs mother, if he was comfortable answering such questions

the first two questions alone would be more calming than drugs, drugs, father not talking to you, drugs! so they would have led the conversation elsewhere and opened up possibilites for different questions which Kenny could have had spat down his ear because of his inability to think on the spot.

Intersting songs by Pete "Lost Art of Murder", "There She Goes" off of "Shotters Nation"

"Albion", "Killamangiro" and "A'rebours" off of "Down in Albion"

"What Katie Did", "Arbeit Macht Frei" off of "The Libertines"

im sure you'll find at least one of them interesting, unfortunatly im not sure what songs he wrote by himself off the album "Up the Bracket"

Just for the record I would consider people such standard as Nick Cave, Henry Rollins, Joe Strummer, Julian Cope as the kind of artistic people who should be interviewed on the Late Late and have something to contribute to popular culture.
    Should Pete consider himself lucky to get an interview, and should turn up with something to say.

Pete was "famous" before Kate Moss. And who cares about "fame"...do you think he cares about being famous? I like his music, I don't care how famous he is!!!!

In answer to the quote above:

Sticks and stones: "They said that I was as good as dead
    And there was hope, but not for us together
    My friend, my only friend "

Killamangiro: "On the off chance that you miss me
    To the radio
    I thought you might like to know you broke my heart
    Can only sadden up or hedge your bets
    Or take a chance and never get you again
    All my ties, time and time
    I keep on trying hard not to try too hard
    When I forgive, I won't forget
    To killing time, so I'm better now
    I don't need it...
    Anything that makes you, feel hate
    Can do without hate
    Now I believe in love"

Pat could have asked him about his forthcoming solo album. His writing process. What's the album about? Is he happy with the album? What about the Libertines/Babyshambles, is he on good terms with Carl Barât now(not that Pat would know ANYTHING about it all!!!)??? What does he consider success? What was he in Dublin for? What influences him to make the music he makes? Does he consider rock n roll dead? Does he find song writing a sort of healing process?

I have never seen Pat Kenny so unenthuasiastic while interviewing. It's like he'd made up his mind about Pete Doherty before he'd even met him. He didn't have any interest in finding out more about him or what he's about, or his music.

rexsavage wrote: »
    Ok this probably wont be interesting to you because you'r obviously not a fan of the man, but he could have asked him stuff that people who are fans would like to hear such as

1. How it felt to make a solo album and what freedoms/restrictions that put on him in creating the music.
    2. Whether the reunion gigs he played with Carl a while back might be something which could lead to future reconcilliation and possibly an album or new release from the Libs
    3. His child and his relationship with his childs mother, if he was comfortable answering such questions

the first two questions alone would be more calming than drugs, drugs, father not talking to you, drugs! so they would have led the conversation elsewhere and opened up possibilites for different questions which Kenny could have had spat down his ear because of his inability to think on the spot.

Intersting songs by Pete "Lost Art of Murder", "There She Goes" off of "Shotters Nation"

"Albion", "Killamangiro" and "A'rebours" off of "Down in Albion"

"What Katie Did", "Arbeit Macht Frei" off of "The Libertines"

im sure you'll find at least one of them interesting, unfortunatly im not sure what songs he wrote by himself off the album "Up the Bracket"

Don't know where you got the idea i dont like the guy :-)
    I did take a listen to some Babyshambles CD before and it just ment nothing to me. I don't have a problem with his drugs, after all i am a fan of Nick Cave and if Pete ever gets 1 album with just one song that is half the standard of Mr Cave. Then i would love to tell people that i saw him back when he was a beginner. I will get my hands on his CD again and when the time is right i will give it a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Charles, all considered musical geniuses....ALL had addicition/drug/alcohol problems....yet noone seems to hold that against any of them...

you cannot seriously be putting pete doherty in the same musical class as those 3 men.

you cannot seriously be putting pete doherty in the same musical class as those 3 men.

Ok please you anti-Pete people just give up. We have the likes of Garry above going on about Pete being ****e, only to later admit that he hasn't ever really listened to his music. Listen to his music before you harp your opinions on other people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

:pac::pac::pac: + 5000,000,000,000,000

Wouldn't be a fan myself but have to agree with what a lot of others have said about Pat the pratt...it was embarrassing for everyone, and not in a good way, or getting the "best" out of your interviewee.

To be honest if a man in his early fifties or late forties or whatever Pat is can have his show taken over by an 18 yr old girl then he needs a serious rethink on his skills as a chat show host.
    She interrupted his interview to scream directly to Pete Doherty "ooooohhh, I love yew Pete, I waited for yew all day"...not only that but he allowed her to repeat herself and asked "did all the folks hear that at home, she waited all day...") Oh God. I'm going red just remembering it again. No I doubt she was a plant, Pete Doherty seemed mortified by her too. But Pat just took the biscuit. "Do all the kids think it's cool to be like you, would you think?" , was in the ballpark of one of the "probing" questions he asked. Seriously it was like Dermot Morgan wrote the interview to ask Pete Doherty these things as Father Ted.

Mortifying.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Degsy wrote: »
    talentless junkie loser.

A junkie is an addict without the manners.

Good music & drugs go hand in hand

LOL good on you Rex!!! Garry's going to have a busy evening now. Checking up all Pete's songs on youtube, as he obviously doesn't have a clue about his music.....go open your mind Garry.

Narrow-minded twat...just like Pat the puppet.

Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Charles, all considered musical geniuses....ALL had addicition/drug/alcohol problems....yet noone seems to hold that against any of them...

I don't use youtube, i find great music out in the realworld, as i travel a lot i get to venues such as whelans, dolans, cyprus avenue, st. james church as well as venues in the uk and europe.

Like i said earlier I did listen to a Babyshambles CD and now that I think of it I listened to The Libertines CD aswell, they were uninteresting (didn't like or hate them), bit like James Bland or James Morrison.

There are hundreds of artists in the lower bracket of talent that i would interview well before Pete Doherty. Its hard not to think Drugs when you think of Pete Doherty. Even when i think of Amy Winehouse, i can see the talent in her, behind all the crap drugs. She will still be remembered for her songs before drugs.

I must admit that the fact that we have so much media nowdays that it is sometimes a problem for artists. Maybe if there was less media we wouldn't see artists making fools of themselves at the weekend.

Ok please you anti-Pete people just give up. We have the likes of Garry above going on about Pete being ****e, only to later admit that he hasn't ever really listened to his music. Listen to his music before you harp your opinions on other people.

"he hasn't ever really listened to his music"?
    If i listen to it and dont like it, does that mean i didn't REALLY listen to it.

Read above, I listened, and it was meaningless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Pat Kenny is a robot. He has a set list of questions and rarely strays from these. How can his annual salary be justified? As for Pete Doherty, he's a waster. He's incoherent, boring and his music is bland.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is a robot. He has a set list of questions and rarely strays from these. How can his annual salary be justified? As for Pete Doherty, he's a waster. He's incoherent, boring and his music is bland.

think that sums it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

You base your opinions of others based on them as people. Not as musicians. He's an arse irrespective of what he does musically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

WHAT music?
    The babyshambles are a load of bloody rubbish and the libertines were a load of bloody rubbish,feckin johnny come lately student bands that nobody gives a shiit about.
    That incoherent moron was only on the telly because other incoherent morons like to glorify drug misuse,thinking it makes them cool.
    Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,986 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Eric26 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is an absolute trainwreck!

Did anyone see this article? Pretty much hit the nail on the head I think.

http://entertainment.ie/celebrity_gossip/Pat-Kenny%27s-Presenting-Skills-Shock-Pete-Doherty-Shocker/26016.htm

Yeah, but Ross got Doherty when he was just a heroin junkie; he's so so so much more a filthy and incoherent creature today, in every way!

I don't know what all the fuss is about; what were folks expecting from such a low life like Doherty?:rolleyes:

And I agree with Degsy, what the fuc* is so good about his music?

It's because he's such a low life, a lot then WANT to
    believe his music is fab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

The thread isn't really about whether you consider Doherty to be a low-life or that you hate his music. It's about Kenny's extraordinary inability to interview guests properly, this latest one being a particularly glaring example.

Advertisement