Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty on the Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UNDER-ACHIEVER

Stevieo wrote: »
    Is that not the same attitude that (I've heard) Pat displayed to Pete? ... My main concern is that, despite everyone being aware of Pat Kenny's major flaws (Christmas comes early when we see him struggle with children on the Toy Show annually), nothing's going to change. The captain of a sinking ship...

I agree that Pat clearly isn't from the "same school of thought" as Pete thats fairly obvious, but is it not Pats job to at least know the basics of who he is interviewing ? Thats surely just manners.

I disagree that anyone under the age of 50 who watches the "Late Late Show" is a "****ing loser" - as Pete was obviously not brought on the show to provide "light entertainment" for the over 65's, so there evidently is an audience of younger viewers..

I totally agree - ha, The Christmas Toy Show is excruciating, yet hilarious to watch, Pat is always totally out of his depth.. Trying to be "cool" with a bunch of 6 year olds.. He's a prat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I agree that Pat clearly isn't from the "same school of thought" as Pete thats fairly obvious, but is it not Pats job to at least know the basics of who he is interviewing ? Thats surely just manners.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at when I said he could at least have named Pete's latest single? I don't know what Pat's job is officially, but I'd put it down as the national broadcaster's premier interviewer, someone who provides the opportunity to gain a different insight into his guests, whoever they are, for an Irish audience even bigger than his paycheque. It disgusts me that someone with such experience and who holds such a high position in television can make such a balls of his job on a week to week basis, as outlined:
    I disagree that anyone under the age of 50 who watches the "Late Late Show" is a "****ing loser"

This is RTE's (again, the national broadcaster's) highest paid personality, paid with our TV licence fees and our taxes. If they only wanted people above 50 to watch The Late Late, they wouldn't pay him nearly as much, nor would guests like Pete Doherty or Tommy Tiernan feature. Anyone who says differently, just because "the youth" tends to hit town on a Friday night to get pissed is either in denial, or in a minority; saying so is just another cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

what annoyed me more than Pat's interview was that girl in the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,303 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pat Kenny is the reason I never watch the Late Late. How he got that job I'll never know.

Ross on the BBC is on a different level to the robot

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I rem one awful radio interview he did with Sinead O'Connor a few yrs back. She handled him beautifully.

He was intent in using words of many, many sylables and those in non-everyday use. He was being as clever as possible. Cringe.

After a few minutes of ridiculous wordy questions, Sinead answered something like - now Pat, you know I don't know big words like that.

Big laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 apes_h

Pat Kenny is an idiot and cannot interview people. He should be fired from the show. Gerry Ryan can also be very annoying but when he did the late late show he actually wasn't that bad...pat should be fired and gerry should take his place. (cos who else will)

Also Pat Kenny does not do an research for thar programme or even write his own questions. His researcher's do it all. They should also be fired - all he asked him about was his drug use and kate moss - who cares. It was so obvious that Pat had zero respect or interest in Doherty. I don't know why RTE bosses would have some one like Pete on the show, when I orginally heard Pete was going to be on the show I thought it was a joke.

Get the boat Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Doherty isn't an interesting subject in the first place. He is a junkie who is given far more press than his talent deserves. Yes, Kenny could have made a better hand at it but I'd blame the bookers more than him.
    Doherty was unhinged and withdrawn through the whole interview, I was urging it to finish as soon as it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UNDER-ACHIEVER

This is RTE's (again, the national broadcaster's) highest paid personality, paid with our TV licence fees and our taxes. If they only wanted people above 50 to watch The Late Late, they wouldn't pay him nearly as much, nor would guests like Pete Doherty or Tommy Tiernan feature. Anyone who says differently, just because "the youth" tends to hit town on a Friday night to get pissed is either in denial, or in a minority; saying so is just another cop out.
    ;) summed it up perfectly dude.

whoever said that in the first place is an idiot, just because you don't have an interest in the "Late Late Show" doesn't mean there is NO interest among anyone under the age of 50..

and AIDRIC, the fact that you label Pete a "junkie" in the first place just shows how ignorant some people are, your treating Pete with the same contempt that Pat did. Labelling someone a "junkie" tells you nothing about their personality, talents or achievements. And the reason he wasn't an "interesting" subject was mainly due to the fact that the interview was boring and obvious, and evidence of this can be seen on the Johnathen Ross interview which was humorous and tons more "interesting" than Pats pathetic attempt..

Regardless of whether or not you like Pete Doherty, I think its clear that Pats an out-dated tosser...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

will the interview surface on the net? saw him perform last of the english roses on youtube but tbh i'd be more interested in seeing the crash and burn interview... haven't been impressed by pete doherty in a long time..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rexsavage

Im goin to go ahead and presume that Pete appeared on the show in the mindset that the interview would probably consist of one or two questions about his drug use which we had shoved in our faces by the tabloids for the last number of years. But I'm also quite confident that he also thought that the conversation might have then pressed on to the issue of his first solo album, which the last of the english roses is to be the first single from what I'v heard, that is to be realeased next month. Or maybe even to his work to date or how his flight was, or what he though about the weather we've been having!! ANYTHING other than the same question reworded and reworked in so many different ways!!:mad: The fact that Kenny managed to do that was the only thing in the interview which actually half impressed me in a strange unintentional way!

I didnt know that Pete was goin to be on the show (I tuned in for the O'Searcaigh interview which was cut from the show) and was plesently suprised when yer man Kenny boring bollox extrordinaire announced that he would be. I dont think i have ever cringed solidly for so long in my life.

I know that girl in the crowd was loud, annoying, childish etc. etc. but i have a feeling that had she been put in Kennys seat the interview would have been half interesting! I know alot of people don't like pete doherty cos he's a "junkie" and i doubt that the interview did alot to sway them, but I mean at least he had the decency to answer the questions for as long as he did, he tried to make a few funny comments, he tried to change the topic in a considerably more polite manner than i would have done if i had been in his position and he topped it off with a solid performance of a good quality song.

I mean that man is clearly talented but just got caught up in a bad thing. Most people who hate him like Amy Winehouse, a woman who launced her music carreer with a song about not giving up drugs and it's all sympathy for her! Get over his addiction and listen to his music! He's also a nice guy, i met him once and he told me i smelt nice...like a country barn! Ok...i know the country barn bit was a bit strange, but i'v had alot worse said about me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

It was hard to watch. Pat Kennys preparation for the interview was minimal it seems, while I think Pat was right to ask about Petes addiction problems, as to most people this is what he is most known for, it surely didn't require that many questions on the subject.

There was very little/no mention of his songwriting or his time in and success with the Libertines. I think Pat could have used this interview to let the average person learn of the all to often ignored talents of Doherty.

Pete himself is often difficult to watch in any interview with all his squirming and fidgeting, but I would have thought Pat Kenny with his many years of experience wouldn't have been thrown by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

What was the woman in the audience shouting?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Interesting that Kenny is getting the flack for the interview. If Doherty was so super uber intelligent with his A-levels etc., he could have turned that interview any way he wanted. If he was so clever, he'd have known damn well that he was going to get probed about drugs and Kate Moss, and would have been prepared to direct the interview the way he wanted. Kenny asked him about drugs etc., he also tried to ask him about his Irish connections and got absolutely nowhere with that, and he also tried to ask him about when they'd be playing in Ireland and go nowhere with that.

If Doherty doesn't want to be asked about drugs, he shouldn't go on shows like the Late Late.

There's no doubt Doherty has talent, but there's also no doubt that he's a skag head who has completely ruined himself and destroyed his family from what I can see. The only benefit of bringing on junkies like him is to show people what they risk doing to themselves when they dabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

PauloMN wrote: »

The only benefit of bringing on junkies like him is to show people what they risk doing to themselves when they dabble.

As compared to looking at Pat and seeing what they risk doing to themselves when they don't dabble.

Any lad down my local could have got more out of Pete Doherty than Kenny did that night. He was made to look more of a junkie by Kenny with his line of questioning.

Plus I have never seen so much extreme camera close ups of a guest in all my years watching the Late Late. Twas an attempt to to show the "junkie" side without paying much attention to the musician side.

Less camera, more banter please. What ever happened to the Irish conversationalists. Everything need not be the Nixon/frost interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

I agree, the extreme close-up made it more uncomfortable to watch x 100

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

mikom wrote: »
    As compared to looking at Pat and seeing what they risk doing to themselves when they don't dabble.

:D No, if they don't abuse drugs like Doherty, they have a choice about how they end up. If they do, it's a path to destruction, and Doherty is well on the way there by the looks of him.
    Any lad down my local could have got more out of Pete Doherty than Kenny did that night. He was made to look more of a junkie by Kenny with his line of questioning.

It's always everyone elses' fault with junkies. He has made himself look/act/sound the way he does all by himself. He's a big boy.

And the belief that someone other than Kenny would magically have gotten nuggets of inspiration out of that guy is laughable. Like I say, Doherty is obviously a clever person, but his brain is mush. He could have directed that interview any way he wanted had he been capable of clear thought. It's quite obvious he wasn't though, and that's nobody's fault but his own.
    Plus I have never seen so much extreme camera close ups of a guest in all my years watching the Late Late. Twas an attempt to to show the "junkie" side without paying much attention to the musician side.

No more close-ups than usual imo. Was just more noticeable because of the state of him.
    Less camera, more banter please. What ever happened to the Irish conversationalists. Everything need not be the Nixon/frost interviews.

So they shouldn't have let him play a song? More incoherent babble instead? No, I think it was a good idea to let him play. They did want to show his talent after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's always everyone elses' fault with junkies. He has made himself look/act/sound the way he does all by himself. He's a big boy.

And the belief that someone other than Kenny would magically have gotten nuggets of inspiration out of that guy is laughable. Like I say, Doherty is obviously a clever person, but his brain is mush. He could have directed that interview any way he wanted had he been capable of clear thought. It's quite obvious he wasn't though, and that's nobody's fault but his own.

Still had to drag it out of him, but eventually ross got his motor humming.

and probably the best and most honest interview I have ever seen conducted with Doherty....

No more close-ups than usual imo. Was just more noticeable because of the state of him.

Trust me there was a lot more. You will never see that many close ups on Kenny. And if you did the grain would show. :pac:

So they shouldn't have let him play a song? More incoherent babble instead? No, I think it was a good idea to let him play. They did want to show his talent after all.

Did I say that. I must be talking in my sleep again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Ugh. I generally see the Peter of now as a separate person from the one who made music with the Libs - music which really meant something to me and influenced me and led me to discover new music. Denial, i suppose. But it's interviews like the one with Plank Kenny that bring the two Peters jarringly together. I wish the world-at-large didn't know him solely for his drug use and antics with Kate Moss.. but seeing him nowadays, you can't help but think, is that all there is to him now?
    I was one of the lucky enough people to get access to the Trinity interview, and I can testify that there were plenty of risque personal topics touched on (if you haven't heard); his son and drug problems were discussed, and one person even asked "So how is it with Carl these days?".

I wish I'd been there. How did he say it was with Carl these days?

He answered the questions that were directed to him about his irish connections and the question by Kenny about any Irish shows was put to him during the time that the audience was applauding which made it hard to feel that Kenny actually gave a crap about his future tour plans in Ireland, it was just more of a side note that probably got shouted in his ear after he had completely forgot to ask any real music related questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deathkit

I have just re-watched the interview with Pete Doherty on the Late Late Show, and yes, it was just as bad the second time around. Not only was Pat Kennys interviewing technique appalling, but he was completely ignorant to his guests' discomfort and made it blatantly obvious that he knew nothing about the man or his music except for what he read off the tabloids. I'm by no means a fan of Pete Doherty or his music but found myself cringing (both times) on his behalf at the relentless reference to drugs, family upset and so called waste of talent. I honestly thought that an interviewer of Pat Kennys' experience would be more professional. What an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Fully agree with the last poster. Whatever you think about Doherty, PK should have seen how uncomfortable Pete was and moved the interview along. A good interviewer would move onto something else, and possibly come back around to the drugs issue when the guest was a bit more relaxed.

The bit that REALLY angered me was where Pat couldn't name one song. Don't get me wrong - i know very litle about the Libertines etc, but it comes back to last week's big issue - the RTE wages. WE are paying this man over 800 grand a year. He has 6 or 7 guests on a Friday night. Is it too much to ask that he might google or wikipedia his guests on a Friday afternoon to get the basics on them? Rather than arrive in the studio and get handed a sheet of questions. The laziness turns my stomach - particularly when you factor in the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/av_20090206.html?2488013,null,228

Talented lad! Pat did alrite! He asked the questions that 99% of the viewers / audience were interested in, not many Pete Doherty music fans watch Late Late Show, but plenty of people with concerns over the youth of today being influenced by Pete Doherty do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Hi I agree with most of the above.

I think everybody knows at this stage that Pat is a very limited interviewer. He is excellent on the political stuff, and is very well prepared (almost to the point of knowing more about the subject than the person he is interviewing).

He CANNOT interview particular types of guests... comedians, younger musicians and the like. Anything where a bit of humour might be needed.

He should have noticed how much he was pissing of Pete Doherty, and changed the line of questioning. Instead he persisted with the drug questioning, and when asked to change, he changed to the one other thing that Pete would get asked about most.

I also always find his generic "I listened to your album during the week and thought it was excellent" which applies for all musicians that he has on the show. Comes across as insincere.

They should have put Petula Clark on the Late Late Show and swopped Pete on to Tubridy, although their schedules prob would not have allowed this.

yeah doherty would definitely have gotten on a bit better on with tubridy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thieveslikeus

Pigman II wrote: »
    Only one question needed to be asked by Pat and that is "why do we live in a world where people waste their time, money and breath on talentless, has-been junkies such as yourself?" Would have been a short interview but at least it might have increased (or even started) my appreciation for the LLS.

Pigman, thanks so much for this I have never laughed so loudly in work as when I read this accurate and hilarious post. If there was an award for the best post I'd be nominating yourself.

Doherty is an idiot, Kenny is an idiot, the late late show is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Why couldn't Pete have washed his hands before the interview? His nails were rank! Totally disgusting... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Talented lad! Pat did alrite! He asked the questions that 99% of the viewers / audience were interested in, not many Pete Doherty music fans watch Late Late Show, but plenty of people with concerns over the youth of today being influenced by Pete Doherty do.

What are you? The president of the Pat Kenny fan club or something? Or someone trying to be a bit controversial in this thread is it? If he wanted to get a junkie on, he could have gotten someone out of Mountjoy or Dr. Quirkey's. Even my mother saw that Pete Doherty wasn't happy. There's asking about drugs, and then there's a full-blown interrogation. If Pat wanted to know about the "youth of today" being wrongly influenced, could he not have asked a question about how people view him, or whether he thinks he's a good role model?
    skybluejay wrote: »
    How did he say it was with Carl these days?

I presume he'd been trained to handle this question; said it was ok or something along those lines, but didn't exactly appear happy. Mentioned how he was at a party with Shane McGowan before where Carl got left outside because he was ignored. Also said that the break up of DPTs was a "publicity stunt", reffered to Anthony Rossomando (of DPTs, also his replacement for when he was eventually fired from the Libs) as "Anthony Tossamando" and that all of Carl's songs sound the same. If I may quote Kate Nash without being shot; He must eat so many lemons...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

that girl in the audience needed to stfu

awful interview

If I may quote Kate Nash without being shot; He must eat so many lemons...

*loads gun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I'm not a fan of Pat the plank but I was genuinely impressed with the Pete Doherty interview. The guy is only known for his drug habit and his relationship with Kate Moss, end of. Yes, he is an excellent musician, but the majority of us know him from the tabloids and that's the only reason we're interested. I don't want to hear him do a PR interview where we hear bits from his book (see Richard Madley).

It was a very interesting interview, I've never heard Pete being probed like that before. And yes it was uncomfortable to watch him squirm, but it highlighted how tragic he is. Pat was quiet sympathetic without going OTT and it was one of the first one on one interviews in a long time where he didn't use his "we'll get to that in a bit... but tell me about..." routine or constantly interrupt because he had a set line of questioning. I found the unrehearsed nature of the whole thing refreshing.
    He should have noticed how much he was pissing of Pete Doherty, and changed the line of questioning. Instead he persisted with the drug questioning, and when asked to change, he changed to the one other thing that Pete would get asked about most.

Why would he though? The Late Late of old was not about making all and sundry feel at ease and avoiding the questions the guests feel uncomfortable with, it was about asking what the people at home wanted to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

That was embarassing.

I'm a big fan of Peter's music and I was hoping he'd be asked questions about his forthcoming solo album or even his past work. But no, it was just the same questions about drugs, Kate and being a role model. He's spoken about those topics hundreds of times in the past, he must be pretty damn sick of it by now. Pat really cannot take a hint either, can he?

Advertisement