Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE proposed pay cuts for junior doctors from February 18th...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

That's a very well thought out and effective idea, drkpower. And you're right, it would work well. The IMO SHOULD do this with immediate effect.
    But watch this space..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

RTE reporting on the Six-One News that 99% of IMO members have voted for industrial action. I knew it would be passed, but genuinely surprised at the margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

99% in favour of industrial action! I'm surprised that there were 1% somewhere who weren't!
    And you. know, fair play on the IMO after all. They have refused to even enter into talks concerning cuts affecting core contractual entitlements of NCHDs under the heading of cost containment. They have finally stood up and said no and represented us.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Jane5 wrote: »
    99% in favour of industrial action! I'm surprised that there were 1% somewhere who weren't!
    And you. know, fair play on the IMO after all. They have refused to even enter into talks concerning cuts affecting core contractual entitlements of NCHDs under the heading of cost containment. They have finally stood up and said no and represented us.:cool:

To misquote a famous American JAne and Other now is the time to
    "ask not what the IMO can do for me but what can I do for the IMO"

I just got an email from the IMO asking me to signa letter and hand it in to my hospital requesting details of my rostered AND ACTUAL
    • hours of work
    • breaks
    • rest periods
    • weekly working hours
    • time spent on-site on call
    • time spent off site on call
    • the tiem released from dutues to engage in educational activities of a doctor in training

apparently each employer is meant to collate this on ALL NCHDS, theer is a legal obligation

THE IMO have been asking for the information at the talks and are being told it isnt available to them in the talks but of course the information is available at local level

They are asking us to do this to help them

Its not industrial action

You are not damaging your career

You are asking the hospitals for the data regarding your employment that they were meant to actually record legally, and in addition they were meant tohold this for a period of at least 4 years so they are asking us to forward the request to our previous hospitals as well

Teh ball is now in our court, the staff and representatives have done what they can they are asking us the members to do this for them

What say you all

I had a call from a buddy earlier who had received a fax from the IMO with the information request, a large number of the NCHDS in their hospital just photocopied and signed the request

Vive la revolution

RTE reporting on the Six-One News that 99% of IMO members have voted for industrial action. I knew it would be passed, but genuinely surprised at the margin.

have to wait and see what happens tomorrow

Think they have to decide whats next in the Labour court, not much about it in papers today

Hope you all got your letter requesting details in to your hospital over the weekend and are going to follow it up

Interesting to see how many hospitals have the details, if they dont thats anoter law they have been breaking, far play to whoever found that law as this could really push the hospital manpower people to the wire. if it was their responsibility to record this then they should face the music

Couldnt imagine this happening fro any other group

The HSE would wnat to watch out, I hear the Ossie Locum companies have gotten word of whats happening and are planning a recruitment drive.

40 hour week, small OT if you wish at OT rates
    Lots of Colleagues
    Good experience
    Great weather
    OK salary with packaging (can have money saved pre tax)
    Should get credit for time away from most training bodies

versus
    Long hours
    crap pay
    pay your own training way
    reduce safety net of bodies on call in hospital
    Adam Carroll to be employed by HSE to teach surgical regs how to get to hospital on call quickly while negotiating traffic and chicanes

which would you choose

• Advertisement

drzhivago wrote: »
    The HSE would wnat to watch out, I hear the Ossie Locum companies have gotten word of whats happening and are planning a recruitment drive.

40 hour week, small OT if you wish at OT rates
    Lots of Colleagues
    Good experience
    Great weather
    OK salary with packaging (can have money saved pre tax)
    Should get credit for time away from most training bodies

versus
    Long hours
    crap pay
    pay your own training way
    reduce safety net of bodies on call in hospital
    Adam Carroll to be employed by HSE to teach surgical regs how to get to hospital on call quickly while negotiating traffic and chicanes

which would you choose

Loads already have - I've been looking for ED jobs in Sydney lately and there's nothing! Search has moved onto Melbourne...

did anyone get the letter from the iMO for the personnel department

Did anyone fill them in

Copies were handed out to NCHDs in my hospital yesterday, all handed in.

Copies were handed out to NCHDs in my hospital yesterday, all handed in.

did ye get any replies yet
    am interested in this it looks like there is a plan behind it and this could lead to something
    We were asked for bleep lists and rotas as well, faxed in today

Interesting times

no more news on this anyone

The biggest threat to careers, patients and earnings and we are all silent

what gives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Honestly, we all need to get together and write a letter or article about it.

Btw, does anyone know how I can get in email contact with Dr Ruairi Hanley, the NCHD who does a lot of media stuff. There's a lot of chat about the silence of NCHDs over at a blog written by a guy called Doctor Y. I tried to post a supportive message for Ruairi, but the blog won't accept comments any more. So, I was going to email him.

If anyone has it, please PM me :D Don't put an email address on the public board.

Many thanks :D

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Honestly, we all need to get together and write a letter or article about it.

Btw, does anyone know how I can get in email contact with Dr Ruairi Hanley, the NCHD who does a lot of media stuff. There's a lot of chat about the silence of NCHDs over at a blog written by a guy called Doctor Y. I tried to post a supportive message for Ruairi, but the blog won't accept comments any more. So, I was going to email him.
    If anyone has it, please PM me :D Don't put an email address on the public board.
    Many thanks :D

There are a lo of NCHDs who do media stuff,
    he has a column in Scope and Herald
    Matt saddlier column in Medical News
    Mick Molloy Column in IMT and occasional in Irish Times

John Ryan from US has column in IMT as well

Few of them have TV stuff, Mick was on News and Prime Time a lot around the 200 strike

Ruairi seems to have some arrangement with newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ergo

no more news on this anyone

The biggest threat to careers, patients and earnings and we are all silent

what gives

as far as I know the IMO have said they will not communicate as regards the negotiations until they are completed as it will jeopardise the outcome

hence the silence, I suppose

ergo wrote: »
    as far as I know the IMO have said they will not communicate as regards the negotiations until they are completed as it will jeopardise the outcome

hence the silence, I suppose

Understand that but little chatter about any of the other stuff as well

What plans do people have
    How many people thinking about moving to UK or OZ
    etc etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Understand that but little chatter about any of the other stuff as well

What plans do people have
    How many people thinking about moving to UK or OZ
    etc etc
    I'm an established GP but at least 2 of my colleagues arre planning to go to Canada, 1 has gone to the UK, 1 regrets coming back from Canada and quite a few nurses qualifying this year are off to Oz (they;ve been told the will be effectively no jobs here for them).

I know its a worldwide recession but what really gets me is after 10 years of wealth with money to burn and huge increases in the health budget I can see very little difference to the ealry 90's.
    We had the money and the opportunity to build a really good health service and we blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

My plans are already to head to Oz - i saw things not being good in the irish health service well before xmas - but the sheer scale has astounded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

thats a real shame. Any ideas on when you are heading Indy?

DrIndy wrote: »
    My plans are already to head to Oz - i saw things not being good in the irish health service well before xmas - but the sheer scale has astounded me.

where you headed in Oz
    are you already hooked up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

HSE to cut junior doctor payments

Wednesday, 11 March 2009 15:37
    The Health Service Executive has announced that it is to cut over €40m in allowances and other payments to 4,800 junior hospital doctors with effect from today.
    The cuts are being implemented following a failure to reach agreement on the issue during talks with the Irish Medical Organisation at the Labour Relations Commission.
    Over 3,000 junior doctors, who are members of the IMO, have already voted for industrial action if the HSE implemented the measures without agreement.
    Advertisement

The HSE said it had to implement the measures because of the serious budgetary challenge it faces and the need to introduce shorter working hours under EU and Irish law.
    Ending paid overtime during lunch breaks will save €25m while cutting a range of allowances will also save €18.5m.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0311/health.html

In effect they've done it from today. Interesting times !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I'm sorted out - heading to queensland - got a job waiting for me to arrive!

My contract is 76 hours over a 2 week period - so in effect, i will have a normal working week - its going to be very strange.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    HSE to cut junior doctor payments

Wednesday, 11 March 2009 15:37
    The Health Service Executive has announced that it is to cut over €40m in allowances and other payments to 4,800 junior hospital doctors with effect from today.
    The cuts are being implemented following a failure to reach agreement on the issue during talks with the Irish Medical Organisation at the Labour Relations Commission.
    Over 3,000 junior doctors, who are members of the IMO, have already voted for industrial action if the HSE implemented the measures without agreement.
    Advertisement

The HSE said it had to implement the measures because of the serious budgetary challenge it faces and the need to introduce shorter working hours under EU and Irish law.
    Ending paid overtime during lunch breaks will save €25m while cutting a range of allowances will also save €18.5m.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0311/health.html

In effect they've done it from today. Interesting times !

Its all blown up today
    got a lettr from sean Mcgrath indicating they are moving ahead and making these changes

The way he phrases it you would think he is being generous allowing us to keep our jobs

He could save a lot of overtime if a lot of us leave

Hands Up, I'll charter the plane and run a grinds course for the USMLE

DrIndy wrote: »
    I'm sorted out - heading to queensland - got a job waiting for me to arrive!

My contract is 76 hours over a 2 week period - so in effect, i will have a normal working week - its going to be very strange.

when I was there they had a funny system, you did 40 hours per week but they were storing up the 2 hours for you and you could take a duvet day every now and again, it was great

Hands Up, I'll charter the plane and run a grinds course for the USMLE

I'll buy a ticket if you're passing by Brisbane!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Man I have an email inbox full off job vacancies in the antipodes and a scheme to finish here. Decisions, decisions.

Svalbard wrote: »
    Man I have an email inbox full off job vacancies in the antipodes and a scheme to finish here. Decisions, decisions.

Lads and lassies, urgent please check email and act accordingly

IMO has been sending out some updates regarding developments

We all need to act on this

The NCHDS have spoken

The great are only great because you view them from your knees arise and you will see they are men just like you

6 NCHDs have taken action in the High Court with the IMO against HSE

looks like an interesting few weeks ahead

Fair play the 6 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

what's the case they're bringing?

tallaght01 wrote: »
    what's the case they're bringing?

Breach of contract

They have a contract specifying
    • overtime rates
    • training grant
    • living out allowance
    • degree/diploma allowance

The HSE are basically ripping that up and imposing new conditions that they did not agree to

Pretty straight forward

Fair play the 6 people

One of them was in my class. Let's just hope it doesn't bite them in the ass in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Most consultants went out on strike as NCHDs.

Advertisement