Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great win for kerry the bench won ir for us again great battling quality a checky interview by JOD quote we have a record of beating everyone love it mayo woman in this house not happy **** it great day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Just home now living in kildare, great win the tension was unreal when they got the goal and the point. We showed some bottle to win it from there, Geaney has to start the final...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Seán Cavanagh should have been sent off on 20 minutes.

He grabbed and twisted Peter Crowley's knee right in front of the umpire.

Could have done his ACL.

Nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Matador vs. Bull stuff yesterday I thought.

Tyrone had plenty of fire & passion, but Kerry simply played better, played smarter & broke them down.

2nd penalty shout - not a penalty, Enright - should have been a black card, McNabb on Cooper - absolute red card for dangerous play. Yet all I'm seeing on other threads is the usual stuff of Kerry have the ref in their pocket, playing against 16 men when you play Kerry etc. etc. I genuinely don't understand it. Also the 'had Tyrone taken their goal chances' line doesn't hold weight for me - Kealy made one brilliant save, other than that he wasn't worked, Enrights block in the first half was brilliant to see admittedly.

Glad to get the win, knew it'd be tough and with the conditions suiting Tyrones defensive approach I thought we did very well to break it down. Might not be the most talented Kerry team, but I do think it's a very smart team, they can be cynical when they want to, they can open up and play ball too - but they have a winning mentality & Fitzmaurice deserves massive credit for the squad he's built.

If you'd told me at the end of the league campaign last year that Kerry'd be going for two in a row I'd have laughed at you - unbelievable stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

D'Agger wrote: »
    Matador vs. Bull stuff yesterday I thought.

Tyrone had plenty of fire & passion, but Kerry simply played better, played smarter & broke them down.

2nd penalty shout - not a penalty, Enright - should have been a black card, McNabb on Cooper - absolute red card for dangerous play. Yet all I'm seeing on other threads is the usual stuff of Kerry have the ref in their pocket, playing against 16 men when you play Kerry etc. etc. I genuinely don't understand it. Also the 'had Tyrone taken their goal chances' line doesn't hold weight for me - Kealy made one brilliant save, other than that he wasn't worked, Enrights block in the first half was brilliant to see admittedly.

Glad to get the win, knew it'd be tough and with the conditions suiting Tyrones defensive approach I thought we did very well to break it down. Might not be the most talented Kerry team, but I do think it's a very smart team, they can be cynical when they want to, they can open up and play ball too - but they have a winning mentality & Fitzmaurice deserves massive credit for the squad he's built.

If you'd told me at the end of the league campaign last year that Kerry'd be going for two in a row I'd have laughed at you - unbelievable stuff!

Really
    Their path to a final was never going to be that tricky, a Munster final v Cork was always going to be at home, the QF was always going to be v the weaker A side of the draw and the SF was always like to be the toughest test v Ulster champ or as it turned out B side qualifier.

They were always likely to avoid Dublin and Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Great win but now that the euphoria has died down, I think we have some key problems to sort before the final.
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Seán Cavanagh should have been sent off on 20 minutes.

He grabbed and twisted Peter Crowley's knee right in front of the umpire.

Could have done his ACL.

Nasty piece of work.

I was down the other end and didn't see it. Was it shown on TV?

Nothing on Sunday game about it.

Great win but now that the euphoria has died down, I think we have some key problems to sort before the final.

I was down the other end and didn't see it. Was it shown on TV?

Nothing on Sunday game about it.

I was raging. Umpire was talking to Cavanagh and Cavanagh was shouting at him. Look on the RTE player. It happens around the 20 minute mark in the background. Looks fairly clear from there too. That and the McNabb later hit were the only two dirty strokes that I saw in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Really
    Their path to a final was never going to be that tricky, a Munster final v Cork was always going to be at home, the QF was always going to be v the weaker A side of the draw and the SF was always like to be the toughest test v Ulster champ or as it turned out B side qualifier.

When Kerry don't have a tricky path to the final- it means that we have it too easy? So how come when Dublin have a tricky path- they are at a disadvantage as they are coming in undercooked and not tested, etc?

Its been confusing me

Just had a few conversations with lads in work and their opinions reflect that of most pundits- that Kerry looked vulnerable, that Tyrone could have won if they had taken chances, etc.
    Kerry were lucky and got out of jail- all the usual!!

The way some people go on you wouldn't think that we are AI champions and into the final again.

I just want to be the first to call this year's post final headlines/sentiment:

Kerry lose: A classic of a final
    Kerry win: soft All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Really

He says at the end of the league campaign last year, not this year. That's a fair enough statement, Cork gave us a hiding at the end of that poor league campaign. We went on to beat Cork, in Cork, then Mayo and Donegal. This year was more predictable but nobody would have expected a Kerry team, in apparent transition, to have made back-to-back finals after last year's league. Fair statement by D'Agger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great win yesterday in tough conditions,Tyrone showed up a few problems that will be needed to be sorted before the final,we are still in trouble when a team runs at us down the middle so that's something to work on in the coming weeks

When Tyrone got back level they had us on the ropes but the lads reacted brilliantly to it they stood up and drove the game on again.

Johnny Buckley,Stephen O Brien and that great man Donnacha Walsh all outstanding yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He says at the end of the league campaign last year, not this year. That's a fair enough statement, Cork gave us a hiding at the end of that poor league campaign. We went on to beat Cork, in Cork, then Mayo and Donegal. This year was more predictable but nobody would have expected a Kerry team, in apparent transition, to have made back-to-back finals after last year's league. Fair statement by D'Agger

Ok, I miss read.
    Yep its a huge leap from that day to a possible 2 in a row.
    And it was no soft All Ireland last year, they worked for it v Mayo and Donegal.

Aye, last years league with Fitz just after taking over - I believe we took a beating away to Mayo & we were listless against Dublin in Fitzgerald stadium. We knew young fellas like Fionn, Lyne, Murphy etc. would be given a shot, but none really stood out & the thinking was that Kerry would need a year or two before this crop of players would gel, start producing performances that might have them challenging for Sam etc.

Don't think anybody saw back to back finals coming along

Just had a few conversations with lads in work and their opinions reflect that of most pundits- that Kerry looked vulnerable, that Tyrone could have won if they had taken chances, etc.
    Kerry were lucky and got out of jail- all the usual!!

The way some people go on you wouldn't think that we are AI champions and into the final again.

I just want to be the first to call this year's post final headlines/sentiment:

Kerry lose: A classic of a final
    Kerry win: soft All Ireland

in fairness, if we set up like that against Mayo or Dublin, they would have beaten us.

in saying that, we would not have set up like that against them, we'd be more solid and go 15 V 15 and not piling forward when Tyrone went 15 behind the ball.

have to laugh at one thing though - Kerry are dirty and Cynical now, a few years back we were slaughterd for being too soft. we just cant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Who was captain for the last 15 minutes of the game when Moran was taken off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well,a man in the pub told me that he has a good mate who once saw the Kerry County Board sacrificing young Cork and Mayo G.A.A. virgins (Dublin virgins are a thing of the past) to the dark lord Baphomet in order to grant Kerry favours with referees,who are apparently into all that aul craic.

I sure hope many of the usual Cork and Mayo posters who regularly post any time Kerry play and have noticed their proclivities for the dark arts,stay safe and aware of their surroundings,because there is one last offering to be made.

in fairness, if we set up like that against Mayo or Dublin, they would have beaten us.

in saying that, we would not have set up like that against them, we'd be more solid and go 15 V 15 and not piling forward when Tyrone went 15 behind the ball.

have to laugh at one thing though - Kerry are dirty and Cynical now, a few years back we were slaughterd for being too soft. we just cant win.

Its the problem of being successful- a lot of bitterness prevails as you will have beaten most teams a few times

Actually, lads.....

Have Tyrone county board come out saying they'd be in an All Ireland if it wasn't for the weather? :pac:

wasnt it great though to see a team stand up to Tyrone and not be bullied or made fools of?

there was some fair hits yesterday from our lads, Tyrone was put sitting on their arses several times yesterday most notably that hit from O Mahoney on Cavanagh in the last 5 minutes.

he can get married every week until the final again if he is able to hit shoulders like that in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Should be said that besides a couple of incidents (I didn't see the Cavanagh-Crowley thing but the hit on Gooch was bad) Tyrone were no worse than any team you'd play in a SF yesterday really.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Should be said that besides a couple of incidents (I didn't see the Cavanagh-Crowley thing but the hit on Gooch was bad) Tyrone were no worse than any team you'd play in a SF yesterday really.

The hit on gooch, also when the incident happened that got a Tyrone player the black card for the tackle on gooch a 2nd Tyrone player came in on Gooch and was dragging him by the jersey when he was down injured.

I also can't stand how much talking all the Tyrone players do to all of the officials, it's ridiculous. And they do it in swarms too, right in their face, the same way they tackle.

keane2097 wrote: »
    D'ya not get the memo Keano? We're the filthiest team in Ireland now, bordering on Mafia-esque pocketing of referees :rolleyes:

looking at the other side, and the "negatives" from yesterday.

Tyrone gifted us 3 or 4 points from kick outs - Dublin for instance wouldnt do that.

as has been really said, Tyrone created probably 4 really good goal chances, but we created none - Dublin/Mayo wouldnt miss that.

people say we changed our approach in the 2nd half and things were much better once Gainey came on - they werent really a whole pile of difference in terms of the final 1/3, we scored only 2 points more and 4 of those came in the last few minutes once we made a few other changes.

we nearly collapsed whn Moran went off.

Dublin/Mayo are a big step up from Tyrone.

we turned over some key balls that led to 3 goal chances - cant afford to be giving up possession 45-60 yards out, it was 2011 all over again.

plenty to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think the wet day killed us yesterday simply because we couldn't kick pass as well as we have been. Most balls kicked into the forward-line usually hit the target and were caught, but it wasn't long after that the players were on the deck and the ball had slipped through their hands. The ground was slippy, the ball was slippy and we were being crowded out too often after each pass landed to chest. Fitzmaurice said before the game that most training is done in the rain and both teams have to put up with the same conditions so it doesn't make a difference but after yesterday I'd disagree. With our style we need a dry day more than our opponents do.

That said a lot of the lost ball I'm talking about came from Donaghy, who I thought had a horrid game. Donaghy's presence is a great thing to have because he puts the opposition's backs on the ropes, usually one player won't be enough for him. But even so I think that Geaney must start in the final after yesterday.

its amazing how nobody was slamming the Tyrone tactics yesterday, they dropped back their 6 and 8 yesterday to cover Donaghy leaving us a free run outside especially Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The RTE lads at half time questioned Kerry's tactic on pushing up on Tyrone for the kick outs but for the last ten minutes of the first half and the first fifteen minutes of the second half we got a lot of joy from Morgans kick outs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

its amazing how nobody was slamming the Tyrone tactics yesterday, they dropped back their 6 and 8 yesterday to cover Donaghy leaving us a free run outside especially Maher.

Not just Donaghy they do that all the time.

Its actually perversely funny watching the two sweepers when Tyrone lose the ball. They just turn and run as fast as possible to get into position. Couldn't care less where the ball is!
    The RTE lads at half time questioned Kerry's tactic on pushing up on Tyrone for the kick outs but for the last ten minutes of the first half and the first fifteen minutes of the second half we got a lot of joy from Morgans kick outs

They were 100% correct to expose Morgan but coming out like that can leave you vulnerable if the other team finds their man in midfield. Tyrone looked threatening when they won Morgans long kickouts in the second half. Risk and reward i suppose.

2nd year in a row.

I love Kerry football.

359795.png

mystic86 wrote: »
    Who was captain for the last 15 minutes of the game when Moran was taken off?

anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mystic86 wrote: »
    anyone know?

Does the team/squad not have a vice captain, as well as a captain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement