Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

keane2097 wrote: »
    Don't know what the obsession with appointing former players with no coaching experience is in Kerry, it's bizarre.

I wouldn't say it's an obsession Keane. Yes it happened in this case and hopefully the lesson will be learned from that. But as far as I can remember there haven't been too many others in recent years

Eamon Fitz, as had been said, was a limited gamble to the senior job in 2102 as he had been a selector with Jack going back to 09, had won a Corn Ui Mhuiri with PCD, managed our u-21's to their best perfomance in recent years and I think he may have coached a Limerick club team as well. I think it was anticiapted that Jack would stay til 2013 and Eamon make the step up then

Off the top of my head, neither Jack O'C or Pat O'Shea are former county senior players, nor was Pat O'Driscoll, but each of them had coaching experience at club/underage/school/u-21.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Are you being serious? Fitzmaurice had a load of experience.

Before he became u21 manager what experience did he have, over a schools team for a year?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Dara is after saying himself he thinks it's time for someone else to come in.

It's confirmed, no surprise he resigned
    While probably year too late credit due for resigning if it was some in cork want and look for a fourth year
    He made the correct call

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BPKS wrote: »
    Before he became u21 manager what experience did he have, over a schools team for a year?:confused:

Selector and key backroom member on an all Ireland winning team is as good as it gets in terms of experience.

Also managed Finuge to an all Ireland intermediate final and the PSD team has just won its 4 Corn UI Mh in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Also managed Finuge to an all Ireland intermediate final and the PSD team has just won its 4 Corn UI Mh in 4 years.

He's hardly still involved with PSD is he? Thought he won one AI with them?

Thought it was Pat O'Shea, was upset when I clicked the link to see that fool staring back at me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Spillane at least has some experience of management at underage level. Still, with his frequently expressed skepticism about modern coaching methods I think giving him the job would be a laughable move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Without going into the events of Wednesday night again (I'd only start ranting anyway) we need to get things right now for the next couple of years at minor and u-21.
    For me, the best probable scenario would see Jack having a decent year with the minors again this year and then moving up to U-21 level next year. I would love if someone like Pat O'Driscoll was to work with him as coach, but I don't know if that will even be considered.

Minor management then becomes a key decision. We need to go with a young coach with good grounding from schools and/or development squad level AND more importantly, the Co Board need to get it into their heads that playing ability has no relationship whatsoever with managerial ability. The last 3 years at u-21 level have starkly illustrated that to us once more.

Micheál O'Sé, Liam Hassett, Gary McGrath, Seán O'Sullivan all would be worthy of consideration. Pat O'Driscoll again I would consider, though I fear his brief spell with the minors was too recent. He is an excellent coach according to a lot of people who's opinions I'd regard highly.

Also, If Donie Buckley tires of the road to Mayo, I would be begging and pleading with him to get involved with either of the underage teams. Jerome Stack is another coach with a proven track record. Currently coaching Laois but lives in Limerick. Was coach when u21s won AI in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what year did Pat o Driscoll have the minors and how did he get on?

any idea why he only got one year?

Edit : a quick check suggests he had 2 years, 2010 and 2011 and they were two of the worst years in recent minor history...

2010 - beaten by Cork and then hammered by Tyrone.
    2011 - beaten in semi final by Tipp.

in saying that, Tyrone and Tipp both won the All Ireland

• Advertisement

The Hurlers are in the league final,they beat London yesterday 3-17 to 2-10 and with other results going their way they now are in the final and play Westmeath on the 4th of April

Westmeath gave our lads a nice beating during the league stages in Tralee.

what year did Pat o Driscoll have the minors and how did he get on?

any idea why he only got one year?

Edit : a quick check suggests he had 2 years, 2010 and 2011 and they were two of the worst years in recent minor history...

2010 - beaten by Cork and then hammered by Tyrone.
    2011 - beaten in semi final by Tipp.

in saying that, Tyrone and Tipp both won the All Ireland

From memory (and having known some players involved) the squad wasn't overly strong in 2010 but there were a few strange selection issues made for the Tyrone game. Kerry had Cork beaten in Munster final only for a late Cork goal and Cork went on to contest the final. From what I was hearing the players didn't think it was the most hectic setup, although O'Driscoll himself was ok.

In 2011 there was a strong team there and the players just went to pieces on the field having been 10 points up. We know now, that was an exceptional Tipp team that went on to win the All Ireland. They had Steven O'Brien, Colin Riordan, Michael Quinlivan, Ian Fahey, who are all very good Senior players now, but at the time people slated the team and management..and in fairness, it was a game that should have been won, but in hindsight it wasn't the debacle that we thought. Kerry had suffered a huge blow before the game when Thomas Hickey, who was our main scoring threat, was lost to injury.

Overall, those 2 years didn't produce anything great and possibly could have been a bit better, but as I said before, I wouldn't write off O'Driscoll based on those 2 years. I don't think he had the greatest team around him on the line for one thing. I would definitely consider him to be at least a part of a future underage setup.

From memory (and having known some players involved) the squad wasn't overly strong in 2010 but there were a few strange selection issues made for the Tyrone game. Kerry had Cork beaten in Munster final only for a late Cork goal and Cork went on to contest the final. From what I was hearing the players didn't think it was the most hectic setup, although O'Driscoll himself was ok.

In 2011 there was a strong team there and the players just went to pieces on the field having been 10 points up. We know now, that was an exceptional Tipp team that went on to win the All Ireland. They had Steven O'Brien, Colin Riordan, Michael Quinlivan, Ian Fahey, who are all very good Senior players now, but at the time people slated the team and management..and in fairness, it was a game that should have been won, but in hindsight it wasn't the debacle that we thought. Kerry had suffered a huge blow before the game when Thomas Hickey, who was our main scoring threat, was lost to injury.

Overall, those 2 years didn't produce anything great and possibly could have been a bit better, but as I said before, I wouldn't write off O'Driscoll based on those 2 years. I don't think he had the greatest team around him on the line for one thing. I would definitely consider him to be at least a part of a future underage setup.
    Took a look at the panels for the years mentioned and tbqh they don't look overly strong compared to other years - particularly when you compare it to the 2004/2005/2006 teams and the 2008 minor team which has alot of players now on the senior panel.

Those teams produced players like Kieran O'Leary, Killian Young, David Moran, Tommy Walsh, Peter Crowley to name a few.

Hickey was a big loss, himself & O'Grady along with Pa Kilkenny were the main players to stand out from the 10/11 teams.

Is Conor Keane in with the senior panel or should we be looking for him next year? Obviously didn't see him at the Cork match last week but been hearing good things about him for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

V Monaghan. 3pm Tralee

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion

2. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar

3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore

4. Shane Enright Tarbert

5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion

6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

7. Killian Young Renard

8. Anthony Maher Duagh

9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys

10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare

11. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

12. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

13. Paul Geaney Dingle

14. Kieran Donaghy (C) Austin Stacks

15. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Subs

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

17. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

18. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes

19. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion

20. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes

21. Paul O’Donoghue St Marys

22. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes

23. Philip O’Connor Cordal

24. Jack McGuire Listowel Emmets

25. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht

26. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar

No Colm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

What happened to Sherwood? Also, is Jack McGuire any relation of Brian? Good to see Fitzgerald getting a start too

wonga77 wrote: »
    What happened to Sherwood? Also, is Jack McGuire any relation of Brian?

I think Sherwood is injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    No Colm yet.

Hoping he doesn't tog off against us tomorrow I'll tell you that much!!

wonga77 wrote: »
    What happened to Sherwood? Also, is Jack McGuire any relation of Brian? Good to see Fitzgerald getting a start too

Jack is Brian's younger brother. He's been playing great stuff at fullback with UCC in the Sigerson this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Axel Lamp wrote: »

No Colm yet.

Did Fitzmaurice not say a few weeks ago that he would not appear in the league this year ?

He wasn't playing against us for the Crokes anyway yesterday

• Advertisement

9bred4 wrote: »
    He wasn't playing against us for the Crokes anyway yesterday

He was a sub last week,was he not even togged out yesterday?

Either way we just have to be patient when it comes to the Gooch,as long as he and Kerry are firing on all cylinders on Croke Park turf for the quarter finals of the Championship then il happily take that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

****e.

In big trouble now.

Huge game in Omagh to survive due to our hopeless point difference.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    ****e.

In big trouble now.

Huge game in Omagh to survive due to our hopeless point difference.

Looks like Tyrone would have to beat ye by 4 or more to relegate ye.
    That's assuming Mayo and Donegal don't draw.
    If that happens any Tyrone win relegates Kerry.

I think its a taller order for Tyrone than for Kerry.

Should be beating Tyrone handily anyway. They're a poor side being badly managed and using terrible tactics.

Should be beating Tyrone handily anyway. They're a poor side being badly managed and using terrible tactics.

Steady on Keano, it's never that simple! If there's one team they will produce their best for, it's Kerry..at home aswell. We've been inconsistent in this league and a performance like the Mayo, Cork or (by the sounds of it) Monaghan games could easily see us turned over in Omagh.

Ideal way to focus the minds for the last league game though.

That is true.
    And Kerry have gone there before needing to win and have done so.

He was a sub last week,was he not even togged out yesterday?

Either way we just have to be patient when it comes to the Gooch,as long as he and Kerry are firing on all cylinders on Croke Park turf for the quarter finals of the Championship then il happily take that :)

I think he had a wedding in the family actually so that would explain it, wasn't there at all.

Steady on Keano, it's never that simple! If there's one team they will produce their best for, it's Kerry..at home aswell. We've been inconsistent in this league and a performance like the Mayo, Cork or (by the sounds of it) Monaghan games could easily see us turned over in Omagh.

Ideal way to focus the minds for the last league game though.

If we're not good enough to get over this Tyrone team with the threat of relegation over us we may need to reassess our expectations for the year imo.

Kerry could still make the SF actually.
    If Monaghan beat Dublin, and Kerry beat Tyrone of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If we're not good enough to get over this Tyrone team with the threat of relegation over us we may need to reassess our expectations for the year imo.

yerra it's not like ye won anything last year or have players to come back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement