Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

Lads what a player Crowley is, man he is a serious talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Good win for Kerry. Felt we were 5 or 6 points better on the day but some bizarre decisions and some poor shot selection kept Donegal in touch.

Good match to watch, both sides out to play football. Neither side were overly defensive. Nice scores and good fielding.

BJK had an off day and was trying too much, but still bagged 1-1 . Sheehan wad flying before injuring his hip and struggling to finish the half at Full Forward. Alan Fitz came on and was brilliant.

Buckley was supreme. Easily MOTM for me.

Crowley and Young were excellent as was Griffin.

Kilkenny did well on a physical McBrearty. Murphy was good as was Lyne.

I wonder if Diver will be as quick to Come out against 'cynical targetting' after Murphy's targeting before half time. Only saw it in real time but if looked nasty. The booing of the ref was ridiculous though. It was like a panto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hurlers had a great win today against Carlow,after last weeks poor performance against Westmeath it was just what was needed,one game left now against London next weekend,a league final place is up for grabs

Carlow 3-17
    Kerry 1-24

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

DDC1990 wrote:
    Buckley was supreme. Easily MOTM for me.

Agreed, we had no answer for him. The only time he put a foot wring all day was his shot off the post and even then, that led to a goal.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Agreed, we had no answer for him. The only time he put a foot wring all day was his shot off the post and even then, that led to a goal.

Fair play to ye. Ye went out to play football and the match was very exciting as a result. Was very disappointed with the Murphy tackle, but it was a Good ,hard, clean game other then that really. The yellow cards for the high tackles were the right calls for me. I didn't understand the booing at half time and full time of the ref.

It was in stark contrast to last year's final in terms of football. Nice score taking. Great pace. Good tackling. Exciting to watch. Maybe lacked the intensity of a championship game but both teams wanted to win.

I cannot believe how little McBrearty got to play last year. He's a supreme footballer, as good as Murphy at times. Why was he not starting last year instead of McFadden who was clearly out of form or O'Connor who has the pace but isn't half the footballer McBrearty is yet?

He was very good today, though I also thought Pa Kilkenny did a decent job containing him as well.

M Murphy was kept quiet by Mark Griffin I felt and your midfield let ye down a bit, but the pace at which ye counter attacked was frightening and McHugh got a very nice goal.

I'm sure by the time championship rolls around the tactics from both sides will be much less naive defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Thought it was a good game, considering your dominance of midfield we did well to keep it close. Thought Kerry were lacking a real scoring threat in the full forward line though I guess you'll have that back in the summer.
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    I cannot believe how little McBrearty got to play last year. He's a supreme footballer, as good as Murphy at times. Why was he not starting last year instead of McFadden who was clearly out of form or O'Connor who has the pace but isn't half the footballer McBrearty is yet?

He was very good today, though I also thought Pa Kilkenny did a decent job containing him as well.

He was poor in every game he started last year, was much better coming off the bench. Probably should have been brought on earlier in the final but no real complaints about him not starting.

He's still quite young so hopefully this will be the year he steps up as a real top class forward. Murphy is often well marked so is better used out the field so we need McBrearty on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Missed the Kerry game today, but decent result to get back on track.

Don't understand some of the selections on that Kerry under 21 team. If Greg Horan is fit he should be starting IMO, as should Gary O'Sullivan who was very good for UCC in the Sigerson.
    Will see how it pans out but not a big fan of this management setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CAKgLsuWgAAWgXg.png:large

Probably won't catch this but would like to see Savage at 11 & Keane at 15 - two very good prospects from what I'm told that I haven't seen too much of unfortunately.

Is Spillane injured or just not making the team - Kerry GAA tweeted this but there's no subs listed

D'Agger wrote: »
    CAKgLsuWgAAWgXg.png:large

Probably won't catch this but would like to see Savage at 11 & Keane at 15 - two very good prospects from what I'm told that I haven't seen too much of unfortunately.

Is Spillane injured or just not making the team - Kerry GAA tweeted this but there's no subs listed

Spillane named on the extended training panel.

Would imagine it's injury related.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Must be some U21 team if Horan and Jordan can't start mid field?
    Cork won't keep it kicked out to these lads....................gotta go short surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

big risk from Darragh, his job and future in management is on the line.

Cork are big favourites IMO, home advantage is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

big risk from Darragh, his job and future in management is on the line.

Cork are big favourites IMO, home advantage is huge.

Cork weren't impressive bar the inside forward line against Limerick. Gearoid Hegarty cleaned them out in midfield, and Kerry have done more at minor level over the past few years too.

U21's already 1-2 to no score down.

Kerry backs giving loads of ball away.

Cork midfield breaking the ball and Cork winning all breaks.

Listening on the Radio.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    U21's already 1-2 to no score down.

Kerry backs giving loads of ball away.

Cork midfield breaking the ball and Cork winning all breaks.

Listening on the Radio.

Always found it strange that TG4 show the U21 hurling but don't show the Football,well the games in the provinces anyway.

Kerry back in the game. Conor Keane gets a goal after the goalkeeper batted the ball down.

Jack Savage off on a black card, extremely harsh according to Weeshie :P

Cork missed a pile of score. 1-2 to 1-1

1-4 to 1-2 to Cork.

Half Time

Kerry now in front.

1-5 to 1-4

1-6 a piece.

EDIT: 1-7 to 1-6 for Kerry. Lots of frees.

EDIT: 1-7 a piece :P Cork scoring as soon as Kerry score.

Cork controlled the last 10 minutes.

1-10 to 1-8. Kerry need something.

EDIT: 1-10 to 1-9 with 5 minutes to go.

2nd Black card for Kerry. Éanna Ó Choncubhair who wasn't on long.

1-12 to 1-9 to Cork.

Looks like game over, going into stoppage time. Cork have owned the ball in the last few minutes.

Disappointing.

Full Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Think that will be the end of Darragh. Possibly should have walked away last year. 3 years and 3 defeats isn't good enough. The team he picked was a gamble. I don't think its much good bringing all these minors only to be beaten in the first round.

Hopefully Jack O'Connor will take over next year. I think that was the plan all along when he was appointed manager of the minors that he would eventually bring a group through to senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Just home from the game, a very disappointing outing by a poorly organised team. They had no plan B and couldn't handle the Cork running game. This game was there to be won, but unfortunately we just weren't good enough. No guidance on the sideline, Dara O Se just doesnt cut it as a manager for me. From seeing them playing Cavan above in Laois a few months ago, as McCabe and Moynihan took the warm up, Dara was happy out kicking balls over the bar, not even watching the warm up or the drills. Tonight then he didn't even have the decency to meet a fella when he was substituted, they just went straight into the dugout.

I thought both corner backs Coffey and Begley played well.Coffeys man got the goal but Flaherty lost the ball from a tackle from behind and Coffey had to come tackle the ball that had won the ball and there was no cover behind. Matthew hadn't protected the ball in a dangerous situation and it cost us dearly. Begley was solid, and for a fella thats still in PCD performed admirably against a decent Cork corner forward. With regards to Crowley I thought himself and Ryan handled Kelleher well between them but with Hurley it was a different kettle of fish, and he looked menacing when introduced.

I thought the half back line were cleared out completely. Murphy was the best of an overall disappointing bunch, on numourous occasions when the kick out came short than expected Cork half forward line went up for uncontested high balls and started an attack from there. O Driscoll and White were a constant thorn in our sides today and ran us ragged. Midfield I'd imagine we won 60-40, which highlights how poorly we used the ball. Barry Sullivan was outstanding again, catching ball and midfield and controlling the game. Jack Barry was equally as solid, and it was disappointing that we couldnt build on our advantage at midfield at times throughout the game.

Half forward line was where this game was lost in my opinion. Crowley and Burns were non existant for large portions of the game. Crowley lacked pace and lost out on alot of 50/50 and 60/40 balls. Burns never really got going and seemed to be out of sync with the rest of the forwards, albeit for a few outstanding kickpasses by him. Savage was black carded after 14 mins, I felt it was very harsh and couldnt understand why he got a black card. Yellow was warented in my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. His replacement Horan was poor also, Id imagine his run with Stacks as emptied his tank. Never really got involved.

2man full forward line looked dangerous when they did get the ball. Keane was impressive from placed balls and took his goal nicely with a bounce/dummy that Gooch would be proud of. Missed a free when we were 2 points down that seemed vital at the time. I thought Dara Roche while he didnt get many scores was outstanding, he created a fair few problems for the Cork defence with his running and was fouled in scoring positions on numerous occasions. Flaherty was at fault for the goal but battled hard despite being the smallest man on the pitch. We bailed with the sweeper after the first half and he never really got involved in the second half as much as we would of or he would have liked. Subs didnt make much of an impact when introduced. A disappointing night out by all accounts, and a disappointing few years with Dara in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Excellent report Stuba. I was at the game as well and agree with everything you have stated above..

The lack of workrate from the forwards was astonishing at times. Cork backs were left waltz up the pitch time and time again with their markers not even bothering to chase them.. I thought our backs performed admirably considering the waves of attacks that were coming from the Cork defence..

Our midfielders had the upper hand on their markers but got little help from the half forwards for the breaking ball.

Both corner backs who are just out of minor were outstanding. O Beaglaoich's crunching shoulder on the cork centre forward as he was bearing down o goal will live long in the memory.

Conor Keane and Roche looked menacing although they were starved of ball for long periods in the game.

The extra game certainly benefitted Cork. they looked that much sharper and more structured as a Team. It was a a badnight out for our Management Team. Lack of work rate does not just happen overnight, the forwards made no effort to track their markers and you would have to question the sideline in that regard.

I can't see Dara getting a 4th year..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dara is after saying himself he thinks it's time for someone else to come in.

Would Seamus Moynihan be the man take on the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Would Seamus Moynihan be the man take on the job?

Huge risk to take moyinhan on he own very much unproven

I hear if jack wants it he'll get it and right fully so but imo won't make any decisions til minor are out and they will be all Ireland quatre at least as cork have poor management no chance winning in kerry imo so I think won't be any decisions for a while

No need rush appointment now as September or August plenty time to announce it

I have no doubt kerry will win under twenty one munster next year in kerry if jack gets the job and likely play ulster champions next year in a semi final so they will need astute manager

Cork even Hayes stays on as term up this year, won't beat kerry if jack is there in kerry will definitely win munster with him

It great cork won but were at crossroads now in interesting see what Hayes does and ccb at end this year if Hayes doesn't decide stay you hope cork made correct appointment next term as hard enough beat any kerry team with Jack but you have poor manger you have no chance
    I don't think this result unduly affect kerry in talent is there and have won minor and once jack is there next year talent is not wasted

Great players don't alway make great managers and vice versa
    You would think kerry learn from cork mistake
    Reading a game as a player and manager completely different skills imo

Don't know what the obsession with appointing former players with no coaching experience is in Kerry, it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

keane2097 wrote: »
    Don't know what the obsession with appointing former players with no coaching experience is in Kerry, it's bizarre.

2 words: Eamonn Fitzmaurice:D
    The bag made a big call which worked out well with Jack/Mickey Ned, he needs to get this one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

BPKS wrote: »
    The bag made a big call which worked out well with Jack/Mickey Ned, he needs to get this one right.

Coached 21s and was coaching at schools level prior to getting the Kerry job also supposedly put together an excellent presentation on where he was goin to take the team.
    Wasnt he a selector under Jack also??

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

Are you being serious? Fitzmaurice had a load of experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement