Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Anyone have any spare decent lower Cusack or Hogan tickets? Thought they went on sale today but it was last week, and all thats left is the corners of Croke park :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

stuba wrote: »
    Anyone have any spare decent lower Cusack or Hogan tickets? Thought they went on sale today but it was last week, and all thats left is the corners of Croke park :(

Upper tier tickets are available if thats any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=222784

Larry stirring it up a bit .........
    OT slightly,whats the story with the poll above.
    Will Kerry win Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hearing far more pessimistic reports re:Sheehan now. Apparently Darran O'Sullivan is carrying a twinge as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Sheehan would be a serious loss i would expect only 1 change from the Galway game with SOB replacing Mikey Geaney.

Mikey had a super game v Galway (I think he had top possessions) but O Brien cannot be left on the line too good of a player,Although saying that Buckley could be the one to make way,Mikey's workrate might be more valuable against the attacking Mayo half back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    Darran O'Sullivan is carrying a twinge as well.

Darran has had a "twinge" since 2011:o:o:o

Darran has had a "twinge" since 2011:o:o:o

I had similar typed out but I left it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I feel his pain - it's the curse of being gifted with outlandish levels of pace gaw'bless'us :pac:

If Sheehan is missing Buckley is very unlikely to play CHF I reckon.

You'll have either David or Buckley partnering Maher, with the other held in reserve. I find it hard to decide whether I'd prefer David starting or coming on, he's well ahead of Buckley at the moment IMO, it's just whether you want to keep him in reserve or not.

Leaves the door open for both Geaney & O'Brien to play I suppose...

Maher - Buckley/Moran

Walsh - Declan - Geaney

JOD - Geaney - O'Brien

Declan to go deep and O'Brien out around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

If Sheehan doesn't make it Moran will definitely start..and I would have started him regardless.

• Advertisement

If Sheehan doesn't make it Moran will definitely start..and I would have started him regardless.

Was just a hunch from one of the players that they might look to keep as strong a bench as possible for the last 20 minutes, would see David making a bigger impact that Buckley, but it was a pure hunch as I said.

Would you have gone with Sheehan and David?

Fingers crossed Sheehan is fit, would be a big loss.

Was just a hunch from one of the players that they might look to keep as strong a bench as possible for the last 20 minutes, would see David making a bigger impact that Buckley, but it was a pure hunch as I said.

Would you have gone with Sheehan and David?

Fingers crossed Sheehan is fit, would be a big loss.

I thought Moran was good to very good against Galway, just needed to cut out the 3 or 4 sloppy turnovers and it would have been 9/10 territory. Have argued the toss on Maher a dozen times or more this year with various people so not going into it again. Hope he suddenly bursts into life on Sunday, but it's highly unlikely.
    Sheehan is having a disastrous run with injuries in last couple of years. If he's no more than 80% I'd not be starting him. I've a feeling there's going to be a hectic opening half in this game.

I thought Moran was good to very good against Galway, just needed to cut out the 3 or 4 sloppy turnovers and it would have been 9/10 territory. Have argued the toss on Maher a dozen times or more this year with various people so not going into it again. Hope he suddenly bursts into life on Sunday, but it's highly unlikely.
    Sheehan is having a disastrous run with injuries in last couple of years. If he's no more than 80% I'd not be starting him. I've a feeling there's going to be a hectic opening half in this game.

I'd agree with you on Maher's poor form this year, still clinging to the possibility he'll come good I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd agree with you on Maher's poor form this year, still clinging to the possibility he'll come good I suppose.

I know Maher's form has been poor this year but after the match when swapping jerseys I saw Maher had a fierce amount of strapping on his shoulder.

Given the amount of strapping, I find it hard to see how he could have been 100% fit.

Pretty much makes it all 5 (if you include Donaghy) of our midfielders who have had injury issues this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Declan dropped , killian young dropped, Stephen o brien and peter crowley in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

MOTM wrote: »
    Declan dropped , killian young dropped, Stephen o brien and peter crowley in.

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Michael Geaney Dingle
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

One thing could be crucial in this game and that is the subs and kerry have a very strong bench now with darren and dec o sullivan, byran sheehan , bj keane and killian young who all could be used which will be vital in a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Starting a very young team with experience coming off the bench.

I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Shocked that Killian Young has been left on the bench, can anyone shed some light on that one?

I agree with the point of needing a strong bench, but I thought Young has been very solid for us, and he's not exactly long in the tooth so should be fine for 70mins.

Shocked that Killian Young has been left on the bench, can anyone shed some light on that one?

I agree with the point of needing a strong bench, but I thought Young has been very solid for us, and he's not exactly long in the tooth so should be fine for 70mins.

He was absolutely destroyed against Galway..his man got nominated for MOM and waltzed past him on numerous occasions. That being said he is not and never was a centre back at this level. He may come on and play crucial role at 7 when the game breaks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be honest I think its mroe the fact that we need the extra physicality to deal with Aidan O'Shea.

Crowley brings that.

None of the other backs deserved to be dropped, Killian was the weakest link v Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

So Kerry pick a bench, not a team. Innovation once again.

Presumably the young actual starting team is being asked to blitz Mayo early doors, and when the lead is built, the old heads will be brought on defend it.

Instantaneous Paddy Power reaction was to shift Kerry out to 11/8, and Mayo in to 4/5, from virtual evens each.

Fitzmaurice picks horses for courses, so there's a bonus for the believers.

All, of course, based on the fact that Kerry don't pick "dummy teams".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

delaad wrote: »
    So Kerry pick a bench, not a team. Innovation once again.

Presumably the young actual starting team is being asked to blitz Mayo early doors, and when the lead is built, the old heads will be brought on defend it.

Instantaneous Paddy Power reaction was to shift Kerry out to 11/8, and Mayo in to 4/5, from virtual evens each.

Fitzmaurice picks horses for courses, so there's a bonus for the believers.

All, of course, based on the fact that Kerry don't pick "dummy teams".
    Not sure of the point you are making.

Kerry haven't picked a dummy team in... well perhaps Forever.

Mayo were always 4/5 with Paddy Powers for the last 2 weeks

Fitzmaurice generally does pick the team based partially on the opposition faced, and how well a lad is going in training.

Young team picked to blitz early doors? Yup ideally, that's the plan.

Pick a bench not a team? Nope that's not how naming the team works. You see you name a starting 15 (see above) and then the remaining panel members form the Substitutes (the bench).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fitz playing the long game, going to be interesting!

Declan, Young with a point to prove as his dropping has been coming imo, Sheehan etc. - hopefully they can come in and raise the performance level for the crucial part of the match - if of course the starting team can stay with Mayo which I think they can. I'm hope Crowley doesn't move out to the wing because he was brilliant at CB for UCC a few years ago, I think he's matured over the past few years from being involved with Kerry & now he has his opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Not sure of the point you are making.

Kerry haven't picked a dummy team in... well perhaps Forever.

Mayo were always 4/5 with Paddy Powers for the last 2 weeks

Fitzmaurice generally does pick the team based partially on the opposition faced, and how well a lad is going in training.

Young team picked to blitz early doors? Yup ideally, that's the plan.

Pick a bench not a team? Nope that's not how naming the team works. You see you name a starting 15 (see above) and then the remaining panel members form the Substitutes (the bench).

Just to say, for now, Power had Mayo at 10/11, Kerry 6/5 before the team announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Peter crowley was wasted on the bench too but he is strong enough for aidan o se.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Would have to say that killian young has looked a small bit out of sorts lately whether that is the position he is playing in or not i dont know but would be happy enough with the team once the bench is used early especially with the subs at his disposal and maybe young might be more effective coming on as a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Kerry are going to have a seriously aggressive diamond in the middle, with Buckley and Crowley flanking Moran and Maher. Moran was excellent in the air against Galway when he came on, and if he can cut out the sloppiness in distribution, or just keep it simple, he can be a tide-turner. This could be a defining moment for Peter Crowley, assuming of course he's up against O'Shea.

Declan is moving into the Maurice role now it seems. His knees definitely are shot, but he's good enough for 15/20 high impact minutes.

With Andy Moran likely to come into the fray at the 45 min mark, maybe having Killian chomping at the bit on the line isn't a bad thing.

I'm really looking forward to this game, just disappointed I'm missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I was looking forward to the game anyway but now that the team has been named its going to be even more interesting to see how the lads get on and how Eamoon and the selectors will use the lads off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Big match ups will be

Cillian O Connor v Shane Enright

Andy Moran v Marc

Alan Dillon v Paul Murphy

Aidan O Shea v Crowley

Tom Cuniffe v Johnny Buckley

Chris Barrett v Stephen O B

Ger Cafferky v Paul Geaney

Buckley,Stephen O B & Paul could run riot there.

Hoping Enright continues his form v O Connor

If Crowley can break even against O'Shea we will win

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement