Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

Great performance from the lads yesterday. They always seemed to be able to go up that extra gear when required and get an extra score or two. The intensity the lads are showing is something else, we have been missing this for 3 years imo! The training that fitz is doing behind them closed doors must be savage altogether, you can really see the extra ruthless edge that adding seamus scanlan to the backroom training staff has added to the set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Rightlad91 wrote: »
    Great performance from the lads yesterday. They always seemed to be able to go up that extra gear when required and get an extra score or two. The intensity the lads are showing is something else, we have been missing this for 3 years imo! The training that fitz is doing behind them closed doors must be savage altogether, you can really see the extra ruthless edge that adding seamus scanlan to the backroom training staff has added to the set up.

Scanlan is in wit the hurlers playing corner forward as well i herd

keane2097 wrote: »
    Scanlan is in wit the hurlers playing corner forward as well i herd

No i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Minors about to take the field in Thurlus playing Kildare.

Donegal, Dublin and Mayo already in the semis and surely we are expected to join them?

Donegal, Dublin and Mayo already in the semis and surely we are expected to join them?[/QUOTE]

If they can get enough ball into spillane he will win it for us

• Advertisement

1-3 to 4 points in favour of kerry after 15 minutes, but we are not playing well and Kildare are on top.

1-7 to 0-4 at half time. we have not played well, but did ok for the last 10 minutes. Kildare were on top for 12 or 13 minutes and havent scored since.

Carey and Burns have kicked 5 points and playing really well.

1-10 to 0-6 with 15 left.

Black card for Burns, who is a big loss but we should have enough to see this through.

1-11 to 1-7 but the ref is having a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just watched last nights The Sunday Game

Martin Mchugh should take up a job as a comedian :D

• Advertisement

2-14 to 1-7, 3 minutes left.

all over, job well done.
    Kerry GAA @Kerry_Official · 12s
    Electric Ireland All-Ireland MFC Q-Final (FT) Kerry 2-15 Kildare 1-8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just watched last nights The Sunday Game

Martin Mchugh should take up a job as a comedian :D

Perhaps trying to be controversial? All he succeeded in doing is making himself look like a total plank. Cooper is one of the most decorated players in the history of the game and is a genuine GAA icon, so I doubt anybody will take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Rightlad91 wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kerry v Donegal gone to extra time in Birr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The girls pull through. Great win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Good to get the win yesterday and there were a lot of positives:
    - New guys like Kelly, Murphy, Geaney did well in first senior game in Croker.
    - Good impact from bench. Moran was excellent in the air (needs to be better on the ball though.) BJK got 3 nice points, think he could have a big role yet. Darran is getting fitter.
    - JOD AND Geaney are flying. Geaney is really blossoming and it's great to see.

The flip side is that yesterday's performance would not do against Mayo. A few individuals and some of the team play were below par. The backs are going to need to play at a different level completely given the pressure Mayo are going to put them under.

Still, we're where we want to be. Underdogs aswell with bookies which is good..Looking forward to 3 weeks time!

P.S: I'd always ignore anything that clown McHugh says but if RTE keep putting on "experts" like him they deserve serious flak.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

A solid performance today, not spectacular by any means but in control throughout the game. Kildare seemed more interested in trying to rattle our fellas but I felt they only shot themselves in the foot. How they only had 1 black card is beyond me. We had solid performances throughout the team but as has already been said Barry O Sullivan and Tomas O Se were immense. Burns would have been right with them too only for a dubious black card by the ref, kicked 3 wonderful points in the first half and the fella got on a load of ball.

Shane Ryan was his usual self in goals, made a spectacular save in the first half that if a professional soccer player made it you would never hear or see the end of it. Full back line were on top all game. Begley and Tom Sullivan were very good, and Coffey after a shaky start grew into the game. Half back line were alright, I would second the motion of moving Matthew Flaherty back here if things arent going well early on against Mayo for such a small guy he would make a huge difference and is the life and soul of this team

Barry was outstanding at midfield caught some great ball and carried even more. He is a real tough man, reminds me of an old school midfielder. Marc while less spectacular was solid in the middle of the field but will need to a few big weeks in training to keep his place as i thought when Kearney he came in he lifted us when Kildare got the goal and caught 3 massive balls and drove us on when we were challeneged.

Half forwards were their usual selves. While not getting a score Flaherty had a industious game and belted of men twice his size and kept going, this guy is a gem. Carey kicked two great scores off the left and right if memory serves me right in the first. Played well and justified Jacks decision of putting him in instead of Rayel who wasn't bad when he came in. Burns was on fire getting on ball,taking on his man and kicked 3 lovely points in the first half, will feel hard done by with the black card but if anything it kept him out of trouble as Kildare were trying to rise of lads for the whole game.

Jordi Kiely inside while was quiet as to his usual standards took his goal well and worked hard especially after getting one belt under the stand and being floored to the ground. He got straight back up and won a sideline ball by winning the ball of the same man he had been shouldered by. Killian was doubled inside for the whole game, he is a marked man. Took his frees well but really made the difference when he was brought out to the 40. Reminded me of the Gooch pulling strings out there, his foot passing was something else. This guy is class, one for the future for sure. Tomas O Se where to start ended up with 1-2, could and should have had more only for being tackled to the ground every time he beat his man and the other fellas standing behind his man (which was nearly every time he got the ball). His best game in a Kerry jersey to date and hadn't trained in two weeks due to a dead leg... so the best is yet to come.

Mayo up next, a different kettle of fish to Kildare I would imagine. Missed the highlights of them tonight but will catch it on the player. We have as good as a chance as we ever had. Regardless of winning it out or not, the future is bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Good report Stuba, cheers for that. Missed the game today but looking forward to 3 weeks time when we get both teams in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Good report Stuba, cheers for that. Missed the game today but looking forward to 3 weeks time when we get both teams in Croker.

Who the minors got next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Who the minors got next?

Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mayo
    Are you as confident about Mayo seniors as the rest of your county men Fr. Tod?

Physically ye will have the edge, and the two O'Shea's will be very hard to stop.

What way will ye deal with James O'Donaghue? Double mark him obviously but with who? Cunniffe in front and Cafferky behind?

Where do you think Kerry might have an edge?

Apologies for the double post, but I haven't had time to really go on about the match on Sunday.

IMO, we were very comfortable, and stepped it up whenever we needed to. We didn't give anything away to Mayo, and they'll be hard pressed to find much use from the gametape. Just a hunch, but to me it seemed like Kelly was deliberately not kicking the quick kick outs. M. Geaney and Declan got free down the Cusack Stand side of the pitch in the first half on numerous occasions, Kelly, looked at them and then decided to kick long anyway.

Declan was a dummy runner all day, didn't look like he was in the attacking plan at all. His knees look worse then the Munster Final, he couldn't bend them at all during the warm up. It might be that he had one big game in him this year, The Munster final. Hopefully not, and he might be back to his best again against Mayo.

Backs went pretty much Man to Man with Aidan and Marc sweeping whenever their men dropped back. Killian played 5-10 yards off Lundy due to his pace, which led to him getting a lot of posession.

The Galway goal was poor, and a combination of lack of pace around the middle (Big Worry) and Fionn switching off completely and following Conroy out of the space, and leaving Flynn ghost through the now massive gap in the middle. The second goal, was a good Galway move and terrible communication between Enright and Killian, leaving Lundy free in behind. In general all our backs played well however, with a number of Galways scores coming from long shots out around the 45.

David Moran is the most frustrating player on the Kerry team at present. He is immensely talented, he was the only one of our players to field good ball around the middle, and kicked a great point. However he goes through periods in every game, where he switches off. Moran's mistakes cost us 4 points, which at this level is inexcusible. He stepped it up again, when we were back on top but for the period when Galway were on top, Moran was well beaten.

Maher copped a bit of criticism from fellow Kerry fans, but when you look back at the game, Maher's job was to quieten Ó Curráin, who only got on the ball 4/5 times in the match. If Maher does that to Seamus O'Shea, then we will have an excellent chance of beating Mayo.

Mikey Geaney, take a bow. I was unsure about his selection, but was hoping Fitzmaurice had a plan for him. This performance was not on Fitzmaurice however, it was all Geaney. He had a great game, tackling well, tracking back and winning dirty breaking ball. He got a nice score, but his highlight was a pass in the second half to the cousin, Paul. He leathered the ball, with the outside of the right, between two Mayo sweepers, straight into Paul's chest which resulted in a score. Top class.

The rest of the forwards all did their jobs admirably. When Galway took a bit of a run at us in the second half, it was Paul Geaney who stood up and put two points over to stop the rot. Donnacha Walsh and Declan ran themselves into the ground. Buckley did alright, notching 2 points but was quiet enough in the air.

And then James. What a player, double mark him. Triple Mark him, he'll still find space. His goal was excellent. His dummy, then shot for his last point (I think) was sublime. We really have a star on our hands, and getting the ball to him vs Mayo will be vital.

BJK did very well when he came on, 3 lovely scores and worked very hard. Galway's marking wasn't especially tight, but take nothing away from him, a great option to have, and seems to do well in Croke Park.

Looking forward to Mayo, It will be interesting to see how Kerry deal with the O'Shea's. Looking at how Fionn dealt with Conroy, I'd have him tracking Aidan, and have Maher stick to Seamus like glue.

Mayo will prob match up:
    Cunniffe and Cafferky vs JOD
    Barrett v Geaney
    Higgins v Declan
    Boyle v Buckley
    Vaughan v Donnacha
    Keegan v Geaney

We'll match up:
    Marc v Dillon
    Aidan v Moran
    Enright v O'Connor
    Murphy v Doherty
    Fionn v AO'S
    Killian (maybe Crowley fo physicality) free man

Lots can happen in 3 weeks, but its fascinating to think of.

Seems an extremely generous/ungenerous appraisal of Maher/Moran to me DDC, agree with the rest of it although not sure if Fionn would be the man I'd pick for AOS.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Seems an extremely generous/ungenerous appraisal of Maher/Moran to me DDC, agree with the rest of it although not sure if Fionn would be the man I'd pick for AOS.
    Yeah reading it back, I really haven't praised Moran for the good things he did, which isn't fair to him, but of the two, while Moran got on the ball more and was flashier, his mistakes would have been catastrophic against a better team.

Having said all that, Moran wasn't picked to start, and couldn't have been expecting to play nearly 70 minutes. I'm sure all the tactics these last few weeks centred around Sheehan and not Moran. So from that point of view, to be dropped into an All Ireland Quarter Final, and make a positive impact is good from his point of view.

My frustrations with Moran stem from his fantastic ability I think. I know how good a player he can be. He can kick points, frees, catch kickouts, and give fantastic foot passes. However, he switches off, drifts out of games and makes silly mistakes that lead directly to opposition scores.

I don't mean for it to be an attack on him, I'd be happy to see him start against Mayo, if Bryan isn't 100%, and I feel he could do a great job for us there.

Cut out even half the mistakes and he'd be a guaranteed starter for Kerry. Its the inconsistancy that kills him.

As for Fionn, I wouldn't have thought it myself, but having seen him deal with Conroy, who physically is a very similar player (though he plays a lot more in the full forward line). It got me thinking to last year's Semi, where Fionn destroyed Kilkenny, who despite being inexperienced is a physical sort of player. Fionn excels when it comes to marking a physical guy.

Other options are AOM - but I think O'Shea would have the pace for him, and I think Aidan matches up extremely well against Moran. Cadogan dominated Moran not by being fast or clever, he just made it into a dog fight, and physically bullied Moran. Aidan could do that against Moran, or Freeman if they go that road.

Crowley - If Fionn isn't marking AOS, then Crowley should be the guy. He's one of our toughest players, he hits hard and would also have the speed to stick with O'Shea. He's very fit and would outlast O'Shea, even put him under pressure by raiding up the wings, and having O'Shea track him. He's also good in the air (despite losing his only arial duel against Galway.

When Mayo were in trouble AOS was their go to guy, so stopping him will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Are you as confident about Mayo seniors as the rest of your county men Fr. Tod?

Physically ye will have the edge, and the two O'Shea's will be very hard to stop.

What way will ye deal with James O'Donaghue? Double mark him obviously but with who? Cunniffe in front and Cafferky behind?

Where do you think Kerry might have an edge?

I'm not actually that confident by the way, and I'm surprised that Mayo are favorites, well for now anyway.

If you had asked me last year i would definitely be going for a Mayo win.

But this year is a little different.

My biggest concern is Mayo leaking goals, they have been at it throughout the league and championship, and I'm not sure it can be fixed in 3 weeks.

Give any Kerry forward too much space and you will be finished.

I also think Kerry will be very well organized at the back, Galway were not putting all those balls wide by themselves
    As we say on Sunday and v Roscommon Mayo can find it hard to break down well organized defenses.

Plus Fitzmaurice may have the tactical edge on Horan, Horan has been in for a lot of criticism for his ability to make adjustments, and his substitutions.

All that being said Mayo still have lots going for them and Kerry have their weaknesses

As I said on another thread Kerry need to rely on a lot of things happening right this year, they are things like
    The young guys (Geaney's, Murphy, Kelly, O' Brien) performing at this level for the first time
    The older guys (Marc, AOM, Declan) continuing to play well and not run out of puff v younger fitter guys
    Guys like Moran and Sheehan staying injury free. Midfield is going to be a big factor and Mayo have a lot of fit options for that area.

Brolly suggested on the Sunday Game Live that they were 'one dimensional', I'm not sure if that is the case but they could be relying on JOD too much. I did not see much of the Kerry game on the day and have yet to re-watch it on Sky +

Mayo have a lot of experience at this level, they are physical, and for the most part are injury free
    Plus their forwards are not that bad either.

I can't call who is going to win it to be honest.

I'm not actually that confident by the way, and I'm surprised that Mayo are favorites, well for now anyway.

If you had asked me last year i would definitely be going for a Mayo win.

But this year is a little different.

My biggest concern is Mayo leaking goals, they have been at it throughout the league and championship, and I'm not sure it can be fixed in 3 weeks.

Give any Kerry forward too much space and you will be finished.

I also think Kerry will be very well organized at the back, Galway were not putting all those balls wide by themselves
    As we say on Sunday and v Roscommon Mayo can find it hard to break down well organized defenses.

Plus Fitzmaurice may have the tactical edge on Horan, Horan has been in for a lot of criticism for his ability to make adjustments, and his substitutions.

All that being said Mayo still have lots going for them and Kerry have their weaknesses

As I said on another thread Kerry need to rely on a lot of things happening right this year, they are things like
    The young guys (Geaney's, Murphy, Kelly, O' Brien) performing at this level for the first time
    The older guys (Marc, AOM, Declan) continuing to play well and not run out of puff v younger fitter guys
    Guys like Moran and Sheehan staying injury free. Midfield is going to be a big factor and Mayo have a lot of fit options for that area.

Brolly suggested on the Sunday Game Live that they were 'one dimensional', I'm not sure if that is the case but they could be relying on JOD too much. I did not see much of the Kerry game on the day and have yet to re-watch it on Sky +

Mayo have a lot of experience at this level, they are physical, and for the most part are injury free
    Plus their forwards are not that bad either.

I can't call who is going to win it to be honest.
    I think Mayo have every right to be favourites. Going for 3 AIF's in a row, very strong physically, have a great free taker and young forward in O'Connor, the O'Shea brothers and a strong bench.

I think Kerry match up well against ye in many area's but Midfield is a massive worry, as is the attacking threat from Keegan, Boyle and Vaughan.

However I think that Brolly is talking rubbish really. One Dimensional? Its so ambiguous. If he means that O'Donaghue is Kerry's only threat he is massively mistaken. If Mayo think they can win the game by just shutting JO'D down they are in for a surprise. O'Donaghue is Kerry's big goal threat, but all of Kerry's forwards scored against Mayo. Far from a one man team. If you shut O'Donaghue down, Geaney will score. If you shut the inside forward line down and retreat back, then Buckley, Declan, M. Geaney, Moran will pop points over from outside. Kerry mightn't be as threatening from the half backs as Dublin and Mayo are, but he is naive to think that JO'D is Kerry's only threat.

Kerry's ability to avoid physical contact from both Cork and Galway, when attacking stood to them. They rarely went through the middle or down blind alleys, instead going back to go forwards, and using the space. IF we can do that effectively against Mayo, and try and take the physicality out of the game then we have a real chance.

p.s Apologies if you thought I was accusing you of being cocky. Not my intention. I was just chatting to a lot of Mayo people (mostly in Flannerys and Coppers to be fair) and they were seriously upbeat and confident that Mayo could beat Kerry by a decent margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RIP Maureen Cooper, the mother of Colm who has passed away.

very quiet here which such a big game coming up sunday.

how are we looking, are our injuries cleared up?

• Advertisement

very quiet here which such a big game coming up sunday.

how are we looking, are our injuries cleared up?

I was wrong before the last game so probably wrong again now but expecting everyone to be fit from what I've heard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement