Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If you compare him and Geaney in any facet of play I can't see Geaney having an advantage. BJK has been patchy at times, call a spade a spade, but he's been f*cked around a lot aswell. I think it was 2012 when he was outstanding in the league in Down, got 0-4 from play from wing forward I think...then a few weeks later, Jack played him out of position at centre forward, whipped him off at half time and hardly used him for the rest of the year!

Yeah after playing against Mayo in Tralee IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd prefer BJK on the wing than the corner tbh, mainly because I think we have more dangerous forwards to play inside and his workrate & physicallity are decent.

The Geaney decision is a strange one and I think Barry John will be disappointed not to be getting a run.

Training sessions should have a bit of bite in them thesedays though - there's great competition for places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah after playing against Mayo in Tralee IIRC.

That's the one yeah. It was when we played them twice in 7 days. Once in Stack park and then in League semi in Croker..the time of the "Donaghy half forward" experiment...*shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Good to see Pa Kilkenny back after a knock ruled him out of the Munster final.He has real quality

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    18. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    19. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
    21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    22. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    23. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    24. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    25. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    26. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

I think that's a quite strong bench - There is probably 6/7 lads there that if they were named on the starting 15 we wouldnt blink an eyelid.

Throw in the likes of Kilkenny,Barry John,O'Leary,Lyne on top of that that's a decent bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I feel like going into rant mode, but I'll just say I've seen the lad play multiple times for Kerry, Dingle, UL etc..I hate criticising a player making it sound personal..it's not. He's a better player than I ever was, but he's a grand club player, that's it. Has never excelled at any level beyond that. It just baffles and annoys me.

Even if you tried to justify it with the "oh he wants to go more defensive and prepare for Mayo" line..it doesn't cut it. He was dropped off the panel not so long ago so clearly this wasn't part of some grand plan.

Anyway, hopefully we have enough to get over the line and we can go from there.

I was probably Bryan Sheehan's biggest critic ever,I always felt he did alot more bad than good in matches.I never ever felt he was good enough for Kerry although i knew he was capable.

In 2008 he was starting to get there after 3 years on the panel but regressed again until '11

It took Bryan about 6 years before he really kicked on and now is one of the most valuable players we have.

I learned a valuable lesson from Sheehan about evaluating players,Johnny Buckley is my pet at the moment because i know he will do the business for Kerry in time,He will iron out his flaws and give performances like he gave in Newbridge in the league 2 years ago or in Pairc Ui Chaomh a month ago on a regular basis.

I think Mikey Geaney should be given the same time and be allowed to develop,Anyone who watches club football in the county knows he has all the raw attributes to be a Kerry player,Lets give him the time to mature as a player and see where it goes.

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Good to see Pa Kilkenny back after a knock ruled him out of the Munster final.He has real quality

I think that's a quite strong bench - There is probably 6/7 lads there that if they were named on the starting 15 we wouldnt blink an eyelid.

Throw in the likes of Kilkenny,Barry John,O'Leary,Lyne on top of that that's a decent bench

It has improved a bit, wouldn't get carried away just yet. In fairness though, even outside that there are a few players who may break in before long..the likes of Gavan O'Grady, Conor Keane, Thomas Hickey have all shown they may be worthy of a shot in league next year. Cox, still has potential to be a good half forward at this level, but is not going to make it in the corner.

Allied with the very good minors this year and the good work being done (at last!) with the development squads and the future is a good bit brighter than I thought it would be even 2 years ago. :)

I was probably Bryan Sheehan's biggest critic ever,I always felt he did alot more bad than good in matches.I never ever felt he was good enough for Kerry although i knew he was capable.

In 2008 he was starting to get there after 3 years on the panel but regressed again until '11

It took Bryan about 6 years before he really kicked on and now is one of the most valuable players we have.

I learned a valuable lesson from Sheehan about evaluating players,Johnny Buckley is my pet at the moment because i know he will do the business for Kerry in time,He will iron out his flaws and give performances like he gave in Newbridge in the league 2 years ago or in Pairc Ui Chaomh a month ago on a regular basis.

I think Mikey Geaney should be given the same time and be allowed to develop,Anyone who watches club football in the county knows he has all the raw attributes to be a Kerry player,Lets give him the time to mature as a player and see where it goes.

I watch a lot of club football in the county and I disagree entirely...but too much focus on this one topic, so will leave it for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kerry performed with massive intensity and efficiency in the Munster Final but are not as good as they were allowed look against probably the most naieve management that thet've encountered for years.

I'd have said decent intensity as opposed to massive intensity - ok the scoreline could have looked better if the goal chances had been converted, but I think Dublin would have created a lot more in the way of goal chances especially given the mess the Cork defence was in and the fact that Kerry simply owned the ball for such long period's of time. Getting goals has a massive impact on games and it's clear that Dublin have a strategy designed primarily about getting goals first.

Continuing to hear a lot about how divided the Cork camp is - a bad result against Mayo and things could get nasty.

Really don't agree with the notion that this would be considered a strong bench.

Darran and Kieran have done it at the top-level but have played very little football this year and there are serious questions over their form and fitness.

Crowley, Moran , O'Leary and BJK are in the next category in terms of experience - but there are questions about form/fitness/their ability to have a serious impact at this level. Odds are decent they will give decent performances as opposed to having serious impact off the bench.

Lyne, Griffin, Kilkenny and Fitzgerald are all pretty much newcomers at this level, and while all they have potential its hard to see them having a serious impact.

It's a reasonable bench as opposed to a strong bench.

A solid bench that's unlikely to win you any matches I'd have said

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

A solid bench that's unlikely to win you any matches I'd have said
    Yeah, we need to win the game with the starting 15 and then close out with the bench.

Then again, I don't any team bar Dublin have a game winning bench.

Mayo's Bench isn't overly impressive, though they have good strength at Midfield.

Same for Donegal, Monaghan etc.

Dublin is just crazy, O'Gara, Costello, Cullen, Kevin Nolan, Brady, Rock etc.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Dublin is just crazy, O'Gara, Costello, Cullen, Kevin Nolan, Brady, Rock etc.

Just looking at the impact of the Dubllin bench so far in the championship

Dublin beat Wexford by 16 points - subs scored 12 points
    Dublin beat Laois by 11 points - subs scored 9 points
    Dublin beat Meath by 16 points - subs scored 6 points

Having a subs bench like that is a massive massive advantage.

It's one of the reasons I find it very hard to see anyone beating Dublin this year.

It's one thing to stop 15 top intercounty players on a day, whole different kettle of fish to stop 21 top intercounty players.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just looking at the impact of the Dubllin bench so far in the championship

Dublin beat Wexford by 16 points - subs scored 12 points
    Dublin beat Laois by 11 points - subs scored 9 points
    Dublin beat Meath by 16 points - subs scored 6 points

Having a subs bench like that is a massive massive advantage.

It's one of the reasons I find it very hard to see anyone beating Dublin this year.

It's one thing to stop 15 top intercounty players on a day, whole different kettle of fish to stop 21 top intercounty players.
    What I would say is that those games were beyond doubt by the time the majority of subs came on.

I know the Cork game was beyond doubt as well for us, and our subs only got a point or something, but Dublin never let up and go out to destroy teams, we didn't even against Cork.

We've never been a team to put teams to the sword, even the likes of Clare, Waterford, Limerick that we should be.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    What I would say is that those games were beyond doubt by the time the majority of subs came on.

I know the Cork game was beyond doubt as well for us, and our subs only got a point or something, but Dublin never let up and go out to destroy teams, we didn't even against Cork.

We've never been a team to put teams to the sword, even the likes of Clare, Waterford, Limerick that we should be.

Oh I'd agree about you that the games were all probably close to done and dusted even before the subs game on but it's got to the stage now with Dublin that teams facing them know that even if they are holding or beating the Dublin starting forwards, the lads coming off the the bench with fresh legs in numbers will be a another huge battle. That's a huge weapon in the armoury.

When was the last time a Kerry sub had much of an impact on the result of a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

When was the last time a Kerry sub had much of an impact on the result of a game?

Darran when we beat Armagh in AI semifinal in 2008 (was it 08?) I suppose. Going back a bit now though.....

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Darran when we beat Armagh in AI semifinal in 2008 (was it 08?) I suppose. Going back a bit now though.....

'06 quarter-final I suspect you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

'06 quarter-final I suspect you mean

06 was it, jayus I'm getting old.

Darren vs Westmeath in 2012. We were in big trouble till he was brought on. He was clearly banjaxed but still managed to score the goal that helped us clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Well, got over the line as expected after a slightly underwhelming performance today. Had Galway brought their shooting boots we could have been in real trouble. Probably for the best, if we had handed Galway a spanking expectations may have gotten out of hand.

Mayo will surely provide much stiffer opposition, even thought they didn't look like AI winners themselves today. Anybody any thoughts on how this one might go. We will need to play a lot better than we did today, and also wrap JOD in cotton wool until the 24th. If anthing happens him we're fooked. If we get the tactics right and everybody is fit we have every chance I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Lads, did anyone on the Sunday Game see Paul Geaney's display?

The man was outstanding yet nobody mentioned his performance on the live show, and that little bollix McHugh has just said Kerry have only one forward. I know we are very reliant on James, but Geaney has been brilliant this year

McHugh has just said Colm Cooper is a two trick pony :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭n32

McHugh has just said Colm Cooper is a two trick pony :eek:

I d love to have his 2 tricks up my sleeve. what a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Martin McHugh provoking some debate for ye Kerry lads on The Sunday game right now.Is he after Brolly's crown as s##t-stirrer in chief?

lukin wrote: »
    Martin McHugh provoking some debate for ye Kerry lads on The Sunday game right now.Is he after Brolly's crown as s##t-stirrer in chief?

He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder any time he s on. He is so reluctant to give any credit to footballers from outside of ulster, especially kerry and cork players. Some of these dinosaurs need to be moved on.

n32 wrote: »
    He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder any time he s on. He is so reluctant to give any credit to footballers from outside of ulster, especially kerry and cork players. Some of these dinosaurs need to be moved on.

I think he made those comments about Gooch because it sticks in his craw that the best forward in Ireland is from Kerry, and not Ulster. I think James O is a fantastic player but he has a bit to go before we can compare him to Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Granted O'Donoghue looked good today but he has a bit to go before he can be compared to Cooper.He would have to win an All-Ireland for starters.

I think he made those comments about Gooch because it sticks in his craw that the best forward in Ireland is from Kerry, and not Ulster. I think James O is a fantastic player but he has a bit to go before we can compare him to Cooper.

He is probably trying to blow up JOD in case ye meet Donegal in a final. Eventhough he was tormenting us in the Munster final , he is an absolute joy to watch. Its a shame some teams rely on building a wall of defenders to nullify a skillful opponent. Personally I love to see a defender and an attacker having a man on man battle and let the best man win. In fairness, Cork and Kerry have had some very open games in Munster in the last few years with no massed defences and they ve been good spectacles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

n32 wrote: »

Nonsense. Hes had his tounge up kerrys hole for as long as I've known him. And rightly so, sensational footballers.

He's ridiculous saying Cooper is a two trick pony (what two tricks I wonder) but says a lot about JOD getting that praise from someone like McHugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lads, did anyone on the Sunday Game see Paul Geaney's display?

The man was outstanding yet nobody mentioned his performance on the live show, and that little bollix McHugh has just said Kerry have only one forward. I know we are very reliant on James, but Geaney has been brilliant this year

??????he was nominated for Man of match, so thats hardly "nobody mentioned".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Seeing Mayo today, I think we'll struggle with their physicality - Aidan O'Sheas ability to carry into contact, draw players towards him and offload is unreal

That said I think it's well poised for a very good match, you'd expect better performances from both based on today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Can't see us getting past a battle hardened Mayo team, although I suspect they'll have their customary meltdown against the Dubs in the final.

What is it about Kerry and having these slumps in matches?, usually between the 30th and 60th minutes is where it all goes tits up, it's happened time and time again, the 2002 Armagh final, the Cork semis in 2008. Previous Munster finals. Then there's 05 final against Tyrone who played like demented Duracell Bunnies.

Anyone else noticed it, could it be down to something lacking in preparation or focus on fitness?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement