Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indie Night in Dublin?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

it definitely is,maybe you have to be there to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Twee. wrote: »

I have seen Gavin Shels a million times out now, and finally ran into Private Eye, oh internetz :p
    Transmission tomorrow for me.

:D:D It's very random talking to internet buddies and your friends think your weird having boards buddies, well mine do anyway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

it definitely is,maybe you have to be there to see?

Was in there last night after the match and The Complete Stone Roses... no way would I consider that anywhere near an indie night, at all.

When the band went off and the first dj came on we got I think The Rolling Stones, The Smiths, Franz Ferdinand and maybe a couple others.. then about half an hour later (from midnight on) it was seriously thumping banging electro with even hints and touches of trance in there aswell.

It stayed in that vain then for the rest of the night.

I mean thats fine and it has its place and is a decent club, but thats definately not an indie night per se, and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone thats expecting music the likes of Whelans, The Village, etc, would play.

youd probably be more suited to trashed in andrews lane then

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

youd probably be more suited to trashed in andrews lane then

Trashed is funny. Some nights are very indie-ish and others are almost pure electro. You can never really tell. Great craic either way but dont go expecting to hear the rolling stones or the smiths. It tends to focus on newer music

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

:D:D It's very random talking to internet buddies and your friends think your weird having boards buddies, well mine do anyway.:D

Haha same! "Oh how do you know him"

"Emm...internet :o"

Have started going to True Stories in the Bernard Shaw on Tuesdays now. All sorts of the musics! http://truestoriesdublin.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shaws is good but not really to fond of the drink selection tbh, all though they do have "wife beater" on tap which is good. The smoking area is slick, pity I don't smke to use it more.:D

Kid V wrote: »
    Trashed is funny. Some nights are very indie-ish and others are almost pure electro. You can never really tell. Great craic either way but dont go expecting to hear the rolling stones or the smiths. It tends to focus on newer music

yeah it all depends,theyve a new dj starting there tonight i must check out,the debs thing they have on next tuesday looks fun though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I apologise for renewing a very old thread, but not point starting another topic for exactly the same reason as this topic.

It being 2011, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a club for weeknights (Tues. and Thurs. specifically). Most of the clubs mentioned in this thread have either changed their style dramatically, or else no longer host indie i.e. 'Thrashed'.

Group of us heading (about 10) into town for something different than to the usual expensive, dissappointing nights we usually have in Dublin.

I've been told Sub lounge is good, and relatively cheap, but is it a late bar or just normal hours?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Trashed is over now anyway! And Antics, and Bad Kids, and No Disko. Phew, bad year for club nights!

Thursdays in the Workman's Club are good. From 8 upstairs they have DJs from Cock and Bull. I think there's cheap pints of Heineken too. They play mostly indie, sometimes a bit of David Bowie thrown in! Downstairs from 11 they have the DJs from The Garage Bar around the corner. They tend to play more rock and roll, surf, mod type stuff, as well as your indie usuals. Free in all night.

Wednesdays in there are a student night, it does be jammers. They have €3 cocktails and pints. Fiver on the door.

I've been back in Whelan's loads recently, mainly Sundays and Thursdays. Always a good buzz, but jeez, €5.40 for pint of Carlsberg? I won't be able to keep that up for long!

EDIT: I've never been to Sub Lounge but I was under the impression it was more of a "rock bar", closer to Doran's or Fibbers? But as I said, I've never been.

• Advertisement
Advertisement