Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indie Night in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Antics is kinda cool..... but kinda sad
    Wax Wednesday was cool till end of last summer
    No Disko is ****....

Where are all the kool kidz at????????????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

everyone speaks of these "indie nights" in Dublin. Could someone perhaps enlighten as to what they consist of?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Nights of indie music related shenanigans.

Wax on Wednesdays, Antics in Crawdaddy on Wednesdays also.

No disko is alright.

Trashed on Tuesdays in Andrews lane theatre is cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

imo there needs to be more live indy around dublin. The scene will never grow if we dont have regular live acts playing.

If only places like the button factory would give up a thursday night or something and let 4/5 bands play from 9-1 am. That would be fking quality! The hub did radiator on a friday, which was (imho) the best night for bands to play, its a terrible shame.

Is the Hub closed now or what? I know it was all done up but I haven't been since and I think I heard on the grapevine that it was on its way out..

Whelans is good on a Saturday for some indie tunes, their dancefloor is whopper but their pub bit is class too if that's not your thing. Savage smoking area too.

Never been to Button factory but I've heard it's good! They get a good few big-ish indie bands playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Button Factory is where it's at!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Dazed is the best, upstairs in McGraths, O'Connell St

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Very student-y type scene but Doyles' DJ is probably the best in Dublin, regardless of genre... (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Doyles' DJ is probably the best in Dublin, regardless of genre... (imo)

+1

he's class.

sound bloke too

He plays the same set most nights though do you not think?

If you go one Friday and then the following Friday he'll always end with like the same 10/15 songs. Don't get me wrong, he's good and he plays some class tunes but it's gets predictable if you go more than 2 weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

good + dublin indie clubs= oxymoron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

Downstairs in Thomas Reeds(the Oak) on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

good + dublin indie clubs= oxymoron

where have you ever been to a good indie night then?

ive spent a lot of time in glasgow, edinburgh, london and sheffield and i now live in germany and havent been to anywhere as good as whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I bumped into Trev who did the live indy nights at the hub (radiator)2/3 weeks ago in ri-ra. Quality indy night on there!

as far as the button factory goes. You need 900 quid to get a night booked in there, way to support local musicians and the irish music scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

The Dice Bar in Smithfield is the definition of cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

I miss Radiator :(

Went to the Button Factory for the first time since the 'change' last week.... Twas a load of balls.

The Dice Bar in Smithfield is the definition of cool.

The last time I was there it was all Jazz music, is that it everynight?

It's floorplan was really strange I thought, long and skinny... Difficult to move around.

The craic was good though, cheap-ish drinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

The night I was in there it was mostly ska, reggae music. I believe the DJ was named "DJ Diarrhea" :O
    But I heard that they do live bands as well that play the more mainstream blues/rock style.
    I thought there was a great atmosphere inside but I managed to get candlewax all over my dates coat! :p
    They really are a bit of a hazard.
    Plus its the only bar in town I know of that serves galway hooker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

Plus its the only bar in town I know of that serves galway hooker!

also available in Anseo, Sin E, the Bull & Castle, the Porterhouse(s) and the Palace on Fleet Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Alan Noir wrote: »
    Downstairs in Thomas Reeds(the Oak) on a Saturday.

Ahhh the memories, I lived in that place every Saturday nearly up until 3 years ago. The DJ bloke/s must have gotten so sick of me asking/yelling for 'Stone Temple Pilots????'... Used to love it when they'd let me in to the decks and rifle through their CDs.. Many a drunken evening spent in that place. Delighted to hear it's still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭paddyb125

Antics is my favourite night of the week, usually a pretty big croud and the DJ's great!

• Advertisement

paddyb125 wrote: »
    Antics is my favourite night of the week, usually a pretty big croud and the DJ's great!

Expenses wise it's grand.

I quite like the music but I'm not mad on the crowd.

For girls if you're not wearing a lycra leopard print dress that barely covers yer arse with overly coiffed hair and too much tan then you don't fit in.

Not that fitting in is what I do. :cool:

I'm unique, just like everyone else. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭paddyb125

Expenses wise it's grand.

Yeah I forgot to mention that! Only €5 in with €3 pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The last time I was there it was all Jazz music, is that it everynight?

It's floorplan was really strange I thought, long and skinny... Difficult to move around.

The craic was good though, cheap-ish drinks too.

I was there a while back on a Friday night, they were playing great music until the dj came on and started playing jazz.... Time to leave once you hear that stuff coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

Sammag wrote: »
    Ahhh the memories, I lived in that place every Saturday nearly up until 3 years ago. The DJ bloke/s must have gotten so sick of me asking/yelling for 'Stone Temple Pilots????'... Used to love it when they'd let me in to the decks and rifle through their CDs.. Many a drunken evening spent in that place. Delighted to hear it's still going strong.

It's usually a woman djing there now, she's got great taste. And is very obliging with requests for songs. I'd be in there most saturdays if i didn't work sunday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

A mate is kicking off a regular indie/electro thing in Toast, Rathmines tomorrow night (Thurs 26 March) if anyone is around. Starts at 10. People are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Got a flyer on Paddys night outside ALT for a new "indie-ish" night called "cooler than you" it's on Thursday nights in The Underground@Kennedys on Westland Row

http://www.myspace.com/coolerthanyoudublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Punchbowl wrote: »
    A mate is kicking off a regular indie/electro thing in Toast, Rathmines tomorrow night (Thurs 26 March) if anyone is around. Starts at 10. People are welcome.

Any drinks promos, etc...? How much in?

Yeah I've heard of that Cooler than You night. It's supposed to be quite good actually! Has anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Sorry but i really gotta go with Antics great location, alright cost expecially with this recession haaa :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Any drinks promos, etc...? How much in?

dunno about drinks, but it's free in anyway..

Advertisement