Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indie Night in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah I've heard of that Cooler than You night. It's supposed to be quite good actually! Has anyone been?

Yep I've been and had a really good time, heading again tonight. Played everything from Violent Femmes to Girls Aloud :pac: And I got a nice skirt at the swap shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

quite like the music but I'm not mad on the crowd.

This, to me, applies to basically every indie night in Dublin, pity really.
    Justs airs and graces stuff...
    Checkered shirts and big thick glasses you don't need FTW :rolleyes:

Remember going to a few 'indie nights' over in Britland and finding the crowds much better. Plus the nights were obviously longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Control Delete's on Thursday in ALT, pints 3.50 all night and only 3eur in... not bad! Was there for New Secret Weapon single launch last night, great night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

He plays the same set most nights though do you not think?

If you go one Friday and then the following Friday he'll always end with like the same 10/15 songs. Don't get me wrong, he's good and he plays some class tunes but it's gets predictable if you go more than 2 weeks in a row.

Exactly! Still ok every once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Wax needs to die in a fire to be honest.

Went to 'the jacks' - i.e out the door and straight into Spy.

Neither one is tolerable.

I think Antics wins out over the others, just about. I do like Twisted Pepper every now and then, and the Button can be good fun if you're with some mates not so keen on the electronic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah Twister Pepper is quite good. I've only been on a Thursday or a Saturday.

Pros: Free in before 11 and they sometimes a cocktail of the month thing on special too for like €4, nice enough crowd..

Cons: Overuse of the smoke machine. Sometimes a bit empty...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Antics - great place cheap and two differnt areas palce teh same but differnt music - only bad thing is its a wednesday and not around these parts much these days but i shall return!!

Doyles/Thomas Reads - Great DJ's most nights and crowd is generally gerrand!!

Whelans gone off it bigg time! full of shtheads now! music is meh ****** sht!

CTY is on a break until after the exams. Talk of a new venue as well.

Trashed is starting to really annoy me. I was there about two weeks ago and left just after one am. Went to Charlies for food and off home!

Most places are branded indie/electro now but it seems to electro dominated. Tbh can't really see people bopping along to Pavement any time soon. A good "indie" night for me would probably be Anseo or Whelans with a pint, having a chat with lovely people and lovely music in the background :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Anyone ever go to the First Friday events for Phantom FM? I'm going this week for the first time, hoping it'll be a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

UnaRocks wrote: »
    I run SoundCheck @ Spy, every Thursday from 7pm.

Deets here: http://soundcheckdublin.wordpress.com

Used to like Maximum Joy @ Kennedy's. So many indie nights have fallen on their ass recently, it's hard to get it right. Antics was great at the beginning but I've found they play so much commercial stuff now that it's hard to call it strictly 'indie'. Also the crowd is so young for an aul mid twenties head like meself! Too messy!

Jaysus Una - mid 20's? :eek: It's a wonder you can even bear to listen to 'the rock muzak' what with you being so old and all! :P

I've heard good things about SoundCheck though. Must check it out soon - it's that pesky Friday morning work thing that really gets in my way of a good night out on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ha! Just pointing out how young the crowd there is, is all!

You should drop into SoundCheck, always a good laugh!

Might try and get down this Thursday for this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549300

Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Too messy!

Its not really Antics unless its messy! DJs seem to play the same songs every week. 'Wolf Like Me' by TV On The Radio gets gradually less fun every time i hear it there. More variety please. They are pretty sound when it comes to requests though.

ThingyCheckSoundYoke sounds fun although it saddens me how easily i'm won over by the real/fake promise of free cake :(

Kid V wrote: »
    Its not really Antics unless its messy! DJs seem to play the same songs every week. 'Wolf Like Me' by TV On The Radio gets gradually less fun every time i hear it there. More variety please. They are pretty sound when it comes to requests though.

ThingyCheckSoundYoke sounds fun although it saddens me how easily i'm won over by the real/fake promise of free cake :(

I hate that! I stopped going to the usual dive of a niteclub in Limerick anytime I go out because it's the same set list every week. I'd not go for months on end and nothing new would be added.
    It wasn't cool when they started playing Joy Division, Interpol and Editors in a row the first time (oh so tongue in cheek), and it certainly isn't cool or funny the 100th time. Especially when the songs never ever alternate from each band's catalogue.

Whelans can be awful repetitive muck week by week. Do they really need to play Gunz n Roses & Stone Roses ever single time I'm there?

'Like A Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan is played every nite im there at the very end. Not complaining though!

I dont mind one song by each artist coz then theres usually a fair mix. What i dont like is hearing numerous songs by the same bands.

Last time i was there the DJ stuck to the 'big' indie bands. 2 Interpol songs, 4 Bloc Party and 3 Kings Of Leon songs. Wtf!?

Still love Whelans though. Its always a good nite there on the whole

Multiple MGMT's in Whelans for all the young girls to let out a big scream of recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Too much effort has gone into doing up whelans now i prefer it a stinky small gunge of a place. That way it kep out all the skangers and bash. Now its full of kids(me being in mid 20's) and girls dressed up like its their debs?!!

Anyone else find Whelans is just hell on a really busy night? Especially if you arrive after it gets that busy, struggling to find and keep a spot inside or in the smoking area. Getting to the toilets takes forever and queuing is horrible. All the poncey Dublin accents from the drunken indie heads as they jump ahead of you nearly sends me over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

No Disko has gone downhill recently- far too much electro sh*te and too many kids

No Disko has gone downhill recently- far too much electro sh*te and too many kids

Ye i havent had a really good night there in a while. Atmosphere used to be way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I know this says 'Dublin,' but there's a great alternative night in De Burgo's in Galway every Saturday night.

Is a nice spot, good crowd, and never gets too packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone ever at Rocksteady on in Wax on a Friday in Powerscourt House, South William St?

Anyone ever at Rocksteady on in Wax on a Friday in Powerscourt House, South William St?

Been there on a wed and its full of pretentious fashinistas who are more worried about looking cool than actually enjoying themselves.

Having said that the skirt does be fairly easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

riemann wrote: »
    Been there on a wed and its full of pretentious fashinistas who are more worried about looking cool than actually enjoying themselves.

Having said that the skirt does be fairly easy...

Sound. :) Wonder what it's like on an aul Friday, NoDisko has been empty the last few weeks so presuming the majority are going to Rocksteady these days.

Friday's a tough night really. It's the same people who frequent the indie/electro nights and the BIG nights are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is a night off before Transmission/Whelan's/whatever takes your fancy on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

No Disko needs to get it's act together- It's been awful recently.

Is there anywhere with just indie and no electro bollocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 1959

The Talbot Bar in Nenagh Co.Tipperary hav great indie cover bands.
    7-against-revee's and Off-The-Wall, and young lads called The Remmelines are really pullin crowds.

good late pub, and not too far to travel too if your an indie live music fan..

1959 wrote: »
    not too far to travel too if your an indie live music fan..

Maybe if your from Tipp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

I hate that! I stopped going to the usual dive of a niteclub in Limerick anytime I go out because it's the same set list every week. I'd not go for months on end and nothing new would be added.
    It wasn't cool when they started playing Joy Division, Interpol and Editors in a row the first time (oh so tongue in cheek), and it certainly isn't cool or funny the 100th time. Especially when the songs never ever alternate from each band's catalogue.

Whelans can be awful repetitive muck week by week. Do they really need to play Gunz n Roses & Stone Roses ever single time I'm there?

Well theres a new young fella DJing in the usual Limerick dive, he's tall and is called Liam I think, and he doesn't play the usual crap, but seeing as Flan is back from his trip I suppose he's not going to be getting the slots anymore.

• Advertisement

ludwit wrote: »
    Well theres a new young fella DJing in the usual Limerick dive, he's tall and is called Liam I think, and he doesn't play the usual crap, but seeing as Flan is back from his trip I suppose he's not going to be getting the slots anymore.

What sorts of stuff was he playing?

Advertisement