Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and Britain build a bridge/underground

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Because of the curvature of the earth what would be measured 50 miles on the surface could be as little as 4 miles depending on how far you go down.

Also it dose not have to be a huge tunnel with trains and all, it could just be big eneugh for to squeeze through at a crawl. We could get a few polish lads to dig it out with a shovel. Like 'The Great Escape' or 'The Shawshank Redemption'. You would need a change of clothes when you get to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Didnt expect you to really

I getcha, he should have said britain instead of england right ? You really could have been a bit clearer with that if you don't mind me saying so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Because of the curvature of the earth what would be measured 50 miles on the surface could be as little as 4 miles depending on how far you go down.

Could be a bit warm that far down :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Riddle101 wrote: »
    England isn't an Island anymore because it has the underground connecting to France.

How was England ever an Island?It's had Scotland and Wales stuck to it for quite some time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sdonn wrote: »
    The shortest distance between the island of Ireland and the UK is Larne-Stranraer, if there's ever going to be a bridge it'll be there.
    Actually Giant's Causeway is a lot shorter.

But either way it's an hour to Belfast more to Larne, and Stranraer to Glasgow is a long haul, by the time you get to Liverpool I doubt you'd beat the ferries on financial or fuel economy or time.

If you build a tunnel from the ROI you are only adding 4 million people, the chunnel links 50 million. It would be cheaper to build the Japan - Russia tunnel. This would cut shipping time for containers from 60 days to 15 days and almost every house in EU has Japanese electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

almost every house in EU has Japanese electronics.

I thought it was more Chinese these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Stekelly wrote: »
    How was England ever an Island?It's had Scotland and Wales stuck to it for quite some time.

Fine then Great Britain is connected to mainland Europe, happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnmike

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island.
    Eh.. Iceland, Faroe Islands, Malta, Cyprus?
    I'd prefer if we built a bridge to Spain rather than to those shower of bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Technically, Cyprus is in Asia, not Europe, even though it is in the EU.
    No, Cyprus is in the Mediterranean, south of Greece- you're thinking of Turkey, which isn't in the EU.
    Yet...

• Advertisement

can we close this thread now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think this thread has far surpassed it's warranty, can we close it now.

So does this mean that if it breaks we'll have to pay to get it repaired. That's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

who would fund it?

Social welfare recipients of course:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I see, my apologises. My Geography English is rather bad, I always thought Cyrpus was divided between Greece and Turkey

FYP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Why does it have to be a train?? Why not a Motorway under the sea, would that not make more sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dannym08 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a train?? Why not a Motorway under the sea, would that not make more sense?
    And some idiot stops to take a p*iss, No way.

jd007 wrote: »
    FYP

Well I must say you really made a fool out of me. I mean posting three letters and then changing my post really put me in my place, good god I shall never be able to sleep tonight with such an ass kicking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

how about we build a big motorway over england to france so we can get out of our cars halfway across the thing and shíte all over the Sasanachs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Well I must say you really made a fool out of me. I mean posting three letters and then changing my post really put me in my place, good god I shall never be able to sleep tonight with such an ass kicking like that.

My sarcasm detector is going mad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

"Oh the sea oh the sea, long may it be, long may it stand between England and me, for its a sure garentee that some hour we'll be free, thank god were surouned by water"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dannym08 wrote: »

Exhaust gases, crashes, bad drivers, etc, etc, etc.

If such a project were viable at all, it'd be electric trains. Which'd not be able to go anywhere either side of a direct tunnel, cause British trains are too narrow for Irish tracks and the lines across north Wales aren't electrified...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

No, Cyprus is in the Mediterranean, south of Greece- you're thinking of Turkey, which isn't in the EU.
    Yet...

No, he's thinking of Cyprus, which is geographically on Asia (if an island can be in any continent) but is in the EU. It is in the med, though not just south of Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Such a thing would be plausible, but only between Northern Ireland and Scotland. The Republic of Ireland is too far away from any point of mainland Britain. At the shortest point NI is about 15 miles from Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

It would never happen, compare the chunnel to any potential irish-england tunnel. First of all its between france and england, two of the larger and richer EU states, not to mention the rest of the mainland, Ireland on the other hand has a much smaller population. Secondly it would have to be much longer than the channel tunnel. Finally, it would come out in the back arse of nowhere in Scotland or Wales (and probaly leave the back arse of nowhere in Ireland.), where as the chunnel is not too far from London and Calais.

Its a pipe dream, so instead of linking Ireland up to the sheep side of england why not look for our own spaceport or particle accelerator (actually did Jackie get approval for one of those in Kenmare ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island. England isn't an Island anymore because it has the underground connecting to France. So I was thinking. Would it be better if Ireland and Britain built a bridge or an undeground railway that connects the two countries. That way travel to Britain would be easier, trade would improve, interenational relations would improve and we'd be connected to the rest of Europe. Should Ireland build a bridge or should we continue to isolate ourselves on this lonely island with the only neighbours being Northern Ireland

So Ireland's only neighbour is Northern Ireland?!?!!? :rolleyes:Northern Ireland is in Ireland....Oh right you mean "The Republic of Ireland's neighbour is Northern Ireland"..In response to the question that Ireland and Britain should be physically connected to improve trade and international relations I fail to see how this bears any logic...

Ok people let the record show, I'm an idiot for making such a stupid and ridiculous thread. I thought it would make a good discussion but apparently most people just want to point out the flaws in my first post so I guess my bad. Unforuntately though I can't seem to edit my first post so I can't fix it and therefore can't make it better, or at least tidy it up, so everyone stop f*cking pointing out every single flaw in my first post. I realise the mistakes i've done now. Oh and once again, please close the thread already. I think it's clearly obvious the thread has failed. Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see, my apologises. My Geography is rather bad, I always thought Cyrpus was divided between Greece and Turkey

....Iceland?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island.

Apart from Iceland, Malta, Cyprus and the Faroe Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some people need to take the Build a Bridge option and get over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement