Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and Britain build a bridge/underground

Options
  • 02-02-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭

Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island. England isn't an Island anymore because it has the underground connecting to France. So I was thinking. Would it be better if Ireland and Britain built a bridge or an undeground railway that connects the two countries. That way travel to Britain would be easier, trade would improve, interenational relations would improve and we'd be connected to the rest of Europe. Should Ireland build a bridge or should we continue to isolate ourselves on this lonely island with the only neighbours being Northern Ireland
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I think you should build a bridge! :)

Seriously though ...... I think we just need a catapult and a big mattress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sabotage wrote: »
    Seriously though ...... I think we just need a catapult and a big mattress.

Ryanair version 2.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

who would fund it?
    would it be rail or road?
    where would you locate it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Would be great but its not going to happen in our lifetimes I'd guess. Too expensive, immagine the cost of going through it. Cheaper to get the boat I'd say. Look at the fiasco that was the port tunnel and multiply the problems tenfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Cyprus would be similar, wouldn't it?

I'd recommend a large catapault of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Zascar wrote: »
    Would be great but its not going to happen in our lifetimes I'd guess. Too expensive, immagine the cost of going through it. Cheaper to get the boat I'd say. Look at the fiasco that was the port tunnel and multiply the problems tenfold.

well just get the same lads that built the eurotunnel then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

ITDept wrote: »
    Cyprus would be similar, wouldn't it?

I'd recommend a large catapault of some sort.

Cyprus is not a country, i'm talking about countries that are islands

Yes it is. The Republic of Cyprus has been a member state of the European Union since 1 May 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Riddle101 wrote: »

You might wanna tell them that, cos someone has been playing a cruel practical joke on them so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Aren't we building a road under Dublin bay to connect the north and south?

Personally I think we should move all roads underground and leave the normal ground for god's beautiful animals...

All things bright and beautiful,
    All creatures great and small...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think something silimar was discussed many moons ago, the name tuskar tunnel rings a bell, think it was a rail line between rosslaire and wales, but one thing that was a set back, apart from the huge cost was the rail gauge, quick serch on wiki will tell more, plus its wales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

ITDept wrote: »
    Yes it is. The Republic of Cyprus has been a member state of the European Union since 1 May 2004.

I see, my apologises. My Geography is rather bad, I always thought Cyrpus was divided between Greece and Turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Personally I think we should move all roads underground and leave the normal ground for god's beautiful animals...

....their bright plumage of Nike and Gortex shining as they dive out the back window of your gaf.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Was thinking myself along the lines of a bridge ,something like the San Fransisco bridge .But not sure if it could witstand the power of the rough wild Irish sea ,specially in winter time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

And give the Vikings a back door to invade again?

No. The Normans gave us enough bother.

I do remember something like this being discussed before the recession came and took all the money away. Rail link from Wexford to Wales, as there's a natural deep-water port around there - probably Rosslare. This was supposed to receive all the cargo for Ireland & UK and then it could be transferred to rail for the onward journey. Pretty unlikely even when the government had some ill-gotten gains, let alone now.

What about Iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I couldn't read that without singing it high pitch in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

What about Iceland?

Nobody cares about Iceland anymore, they're fucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Our train tracks are a different width to the UK and the rest of Europe; so any train tunnel would have to be operated Le Shuttle like with people changing trains - no Eurostar for onward journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well you have to look at cost -v- benefits really.

To build a link from Dublin to Holyhead, would be roughly twice the effort of the channel tunnel (being twice the distance). So it would take roughly 12 years to complete at a cost of STG£20bn, probably more.
    Not to mention that we would need to massively update and increase our rail infrastructure in Dublin within those 12 years in order to cope with trains coming through. It also wouldn't be a viable passenger link. Why would you take a one-hour train to Wales when you can take a one-hour flight to London? So it would need to focus strongly on vehiclular and freight traffic.

With that in mind building it from Dublin may not be the best plan, due to traffic concerns. We could go up north, where the distance would be half the length of the tunnel. But then time concerns come in. It would take two hours to travel from Dublin to the linkup north, half an hour to load onto the train, an hour across, half an hour off and 7 or eight hours to London. So you're talking a 12 hour trip to get a truck from Dublin to London.
    That's versus a 2.5 hour ferry and a 5.5. hour drive. The train link up North would take anything up to 4 hours longer. Which matters when you're a logistics company.

The best option may be Rosslare to Fishguard - roughly the same distance as Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead (twice the length of the chunnel) and relatively good for serving the rest of the Republic, except for Donegal.
    Still a huge undertaking though and it would still require massive upgrades on our own infrastructure.

In order to make this viable, it would need to be possible to load freight onto a train in the UK and have it arrive close to where it's supposed to be, and not unloaded in Rosslare and driven to its destination. France and the UK already had excellent rail systems before the chunnel was started. We can't say the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see, my apologises. My Geography is rather bad, I always thought Cyrpus was divided between Greece and Turkey

It is!

What the hell are kids learning these days?

BBC story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4121001.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I think one should be built from Northern Ireland to Scotland. Ok, it'll be a long distance for us to travel if we wanna go through it but it'll be the British government paying for it, not us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think one should be built from Northern Ireland to Scotland. Ok, it'll be a long distance for us to travel if we wanna go through it but it'll be the British government paying for it, not us.

It'd be still faster to get the ferry if you wanted to go from the Republic to England or Wales. Probably cheaper as well as you'd save money on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I wish that was true. Then we could have that 5-2 humiliation stricken from the record. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I definitely think we should have one - I have used the Chunnel and it was a breeze. Drove in, sat in the car for around 25 mins, drove off again in France. No luggage restrictions and no queues for a passport control. I don't know why our govnt didnt build one when the Celtic tiger was still alive -- but then again there's a lot of things they should have done in those years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

from rosslare to somewhere in wales maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

We can barely build our own feckin roads. Never mind one across a sea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah but britain could do it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

We should turn Dublin Bay in to a giant dry dock first. That way all of the trolleys and such that have made their way down the liffey and it's tributarie can be reclaimed.

The reprocessing of trolley metal will supply Ireland with enough jobs to combat and end the recession, and it will supply Ireland with approximatly one third of the materials needed to build a tunnel connecting Dublin to Wales.

Advertisement