Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and Britain build a bridge/underground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Eh, I thought the Port Tunnel was an under sea tunnel between Ireland and England...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Here's one for you Anglo-Philes

Brits finally admit their transport system is bolloxed for the Olympics, ask Japan for a bailout

The Hitachi class 395 trains will reach speeds of up to 140 miles (220 kilometres) per hour, using sections of the London-to-Folkestone high-speed rail link built for Eurostar trains through the Channel Tunnel.

By the time of the 2012 London Olympics, they will be able to transport spectators from Saint Pancras to the main Games site in Stratford, east London, in just seven minutes.

Britain, which has lagged behind its European neighbours in introducing high-speed rail travel, plans to invest 20 billion pounds (32 million dollars, 22 million euros) in railway infrastructure in the next few years.
    Jesus the ****ing euro is strong at the minute!

I know a girl who thought the port tunnel went to england

Jesus the ****ing euro is strong at the minute!

Eh... weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Novella wrote: »
    Eh... weird!
    speak of the devil and she will appear

speak of the devil and she will appear

I'm freaked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Here's one for you Anglo-Philes

Brits finally admit their transport system is bolloxed for the Olympics, ask Japan for a bailout

The Hitachi class 395 trains will reach speeds of up to 140 miles (220 kilometres) per hour, using sections of the London-to-Folkestone high-speed rail link built for Eurostar trains through the Channel Tunnel.

By the time of the 2012 London Olympics, they will be able to transport spectators from Saint Pancras to the main Games site in Stratford, east London, in just seven minutes.

Britain, which has lagged behind its European neighbours in introducing high-speed rail travel, plans to invest 20 billion pounds (32 million dollars, 22 million euros) in railway infrastructure in the next few years.

how exactly did you come to your conclusion from that article:confused:

a big chunk of that money is going on Crossraill which I don't think was ever expected to be ready for the olympics. Oh and a few trains made by the Japanese.

I'm pretty sure the main way of getting to the Olympic stadium will be on the new DLR routes, which from what I've seen are very nearly built.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Latchy wrote: »
    Was thinking myself along the lines of a bridge ,something like the San Fransisco bridge .But not sure if it could witstand the power of the rough wild Irish sea ,specially in winter time .
    If engineers can build the Confederation Bridge, linking Prince Edward Island to mainland Canada, then they can definitely handle the Irish Sea. You don't get 6-foot- thick ice sheets floating past Howth Head ... :eek:

For that length, though, I think a tunnel would be a better bet. There's already one of comparable length in Japan, linking Honshū to Hokkaidō.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

As great as it would be to have, I don't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

No, we would get infected with, THEM. At least their police force might rub off on our's a bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    No, we would get infected with, THEM. At least their police force might rub off on our's a bit.

Quit trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

on a kind of related note
    China today announced it had begun construction of the world's longest sea bridge – barely 18 months after opening the current record-holder.

The Y-shaped link between Hong Kong, Macau and China will be around 50km (31 miles) long in total, 35km of which will span the sea, said the state news agency Xinhua. Due to be completed by 2015, the 73bn yuan (£6.75bn) cost of the bridge will be shared by the authorities in the three territories.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/15/worlds-longest-sea-bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

rossie1977 wrote: »

That's incredible.
    35km.
    I can only imagine how much something like that would cost in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I reckon we get Fionn MacCumhaill on the case. Could be a bit of a bumpy bridge but I reckon it'd save on labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Jesus folks with the port tunnell as a reference we prob would take an awful long time and land in norway.... Or worse still Lithuania :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Has she been gone long?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

A nice idea in theory but I suspect uneconomic in practice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A nice idea in theory but I suspect uneconomic in practice ?

What would be the shortest distance possible? I'm thinking somewhere near the M11 would be the best access point to the M4(UK) is it too far?

tech2 wrote: »
    What would be the shortest distance possible? I'm thinking somewhere near the M11 would be the best access point to the M4(UK) is it too far?

Scratch that, Holyhead is the only viable connection but there is no infrastructure in place to the major cities and London. The M54 is the closest motorway.

tech2 wrote: »

There may be a difference with what would be easiest/most feasable technically and what (If anything) economically viable.

The expected traffic levels through such a tunnel would probably* not make it financially worthwhile

THe nearest points between NI and Scotland might be technically easiest (assuming all geological factors are equal) but are very far from major cities (and onward connections to the continent) and there may not be much in the way of existing road/rail infrastructure at either end to connect with.

* Dont have all the facts and figures to hand and am not an expert but its a good guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Aren't we building a road under Dublin bay to connect the north and south?

Yes; then we could have an underground mad cow roundabout, that way when all the accidents happen we can just pretend we didn't notice.

:pac:

The shortest distance between the island of Ireland and the UK is Larne-Stranraer, if there's ever going to be a bridge it'll be there.

• Advertisement

There may be a difference with what would be easiest/most feasable technically and what (If anything) economically viable.

The expected traffic levels through such a tunnel would probably* not make it financially worthwhile

THe nearest points between NI and Scotland might be technically easiest (assuming all geological factors are equal) but are very far from major cities (and onward connections to the continent) and there may not be much in the way of existing road/rail infrastructure at either end to connect with.

* Dont have all the facts and figures to hand and am not an expert but its a good guess.

I agree with your analysis.

The AADT would be quite low to make it any bit financially worthwhile, there is no infrastructure to take this from the east coast of Britain to the major cities and urban areas. It's really a pipe dream, the Limerick tunnel is only a few hundred meters and is costing not far from 1 billion. Could you imagine what this would cost while EU funded would be a large toll to take more expensive than going by air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island. England isn't an Island anymore because it has the underground connecting to France. So I was thinking. Would it be better if Ireland and Britain built a bridge or an undeground railway that connects the two countries. That way travel to Britain would be easier, trade would improve, interenational relations would improve and we'd be connected to the rest of Europe. Should Ireland build a bridge or should we continue to isolate ourselves on this lonely island with the only neighbours being Northern Ireland

Why would you want Ireland connected to england? makes no sense.

Also I think you need a geography lesson, Ireland is NOT the only country in europe that is an Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wexford to Ramsey could be accomplished in 82km. This would need both the M4 (UK) and M11 (IE) to be extended though.

For 10km extra you could go from Howth head to Fishguard, which would require significantly less upgrading of land-based infrastructure. The continental shelf is largely flat under the Irish sea, so the route itself is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

sold wrote: »

Also I think you need a geography lesson, Ireland is NOT the only country in europe that is an Island.

(1)Convience, more ways to travel and let's face it. it would be better.

(2)As for the Geography, my bad. But I meant it was the only country/island that was close enough to possibly build a bridge or tunnel to connect to the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Ireland is the only country in Europe that is an Island. England isn't an Island anymore because it has the underground connecting to France. So I was thinking. Would it be better if Ireland and Britain built a bridge or an undeground railway that connects the two countries. That way travel to Britain would be easier, trade would improve, interenational relations would improve and we'd be connected to the rest of Europe. Should Ireland build a bridge or should we continue to isolate ourselves on this lonely island with the only neighbours being Northern Ireland

I think Greece is an island in Europe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think the 'zombie outbreak' implications are reason enough to tread very carefully here.

Plus you just know they would build it one car lane each way, not suitable for trains, with a low roof and it would be a f******* e-flow toll tunnel.

sold wrote: »

Also I think you need a geography lesson, ......

You could do with a writing lesson

Capital E ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I like the OP's idea of a bridge underground. We could then do a tunnell over a river. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You could do with a writing lesson

Capital E ?

Not Following You There Pretty Sure He Spelled england Correctly.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Not Following You.

Didnt expect you to really

Advertisement