Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Ireland and Britain build a bridge/underground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Malta is a European country that is also an island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mowgli-mcnob

Good idea but who would you trust to build it?! If Irish people were involved the tunnel wouldn't meet in the middle! and would be too small to fit trucks or would leak!! And of course, it would go over budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

yeah but britain could do it! ;)
    But then theyre takin our jerbs:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When was England an island?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There are already plans to do this......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4121001.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Sea#Proposed_tunnel_projects

I also remember reading in the Irish Times about it, along with plans to build a massive sea wall/ring road across dublin bay to avoid flooding and complete a ring road around Dublin.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2007/0825/1187332533418.html

I don't have a log in but there's some of the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Cyprus is not a country, i'm talking about countries that are islands

in that case, neither is Ireland. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Oh and cyprus is a country!
    Lump wrote: »
    There are already plans to do this......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4121001.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Sea#Proposed_tunnel_projects

I also remember reading in the Irish Times about it, along with plans to build a massive sea wall/ring road across dublin bay to avoid flooding and complete a ring road around Dublin.

It'ld cost €20 billion!
    No way anyone's gonna bother. I think the catapult and mattresses idea has more of a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robinph wrote: »
    When was England an island?
    :D As a Brit myself, it always amuses me that Irish people get all uptight about the Brits not knowing that Ireland isn't part of the UK, yet often refer to that big island over the Irish sea as England, or talk about such mythical concepts as "English reg" cars, "English customs", or the "English army".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Malta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Technically, Cyprus is in Asia, not Europe, even though it is in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

MYOB wrote: »
    Our train tracks are a different width to the UK and the rest of Europe; so any train tunnel would have to be operated Le Shuttle like with people changing trains - no Eurostar for onward journeys.
    I think this is the biggest stumbling block really, I never understood why Ireland has a different gauge to Britain, I mean when the tracks etc were being set the two countries were part of the union so you'd think ... oh wait was that the problem? The need for forethought? OK never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

U seen the balls they made of the port tunnel. So britian would build there half on time and on budget, 6 years later we would finish our half and be bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

bikki wrote: »
    U seen the balls they made of the port tunnel. So britian would build there half on time and on budget, 6 years later we would finish our half and be bankrupt

It's interesting that a lot of people here see the British as being organised and efficient, yet many British wouldn't agree with you and instead look to the Germans or Japanese as examples of efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Teleportation will be discovered in the next 50 years, and then roads, railways, tunnels, bridges, planes etc will become irrelevant. "Beam me up Scotty." Welcome to the truly green society.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ART6 wrote: »
    Teleportation will be discovered in the next 50 years, and then roads, railways, tunnels, bridges, planes etc will become irrelevant. "Beam me up Scotty." Welcome to the truly green society.
    Unless these teleporters work on fossil fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

^Oh and cyprus is a country!

Correct. The Republic of Cyprus covers the whole island, although the northern part is occupied by Turkey (I know there are differing views on this but only one country recognises that Northern Cyprus is not occupied and that's Turkey). The Greek part is ethnically Greek and speaks Greek but is not part of Greece. They joined the EU only in recent years and swapped the Cypriot Pound for the Euro even more recently.

And I'd doubt you'd get a tunnel out to it.

As for the different railway gauge in Ireland - the Irish gauge used to be wider but they decided to make it halfway between this old gauge and the main British gauge for some reason.

And even though the Port Tunnel was leaky and took forever to build, it did come in on budget, which is more than can be said for the channel tunnel.

And wasn't it designed by a Brit? So the fact that it's too small can be blamed on them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if iceland joins the EU can we build a tunnel to them aswell? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We can't even manage a by-pass in Claregalway , Co Galway.:rolleyes:

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    And even though the Port Tunnel was leaky and took forever to build, it did come in on budget, which is more than can be said for the channel tunnel.

The tender price for construction of the tunnel was €457 million. The final project cost was brought to €752 million

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The tender price for construction of the tunnel was €457 million. The final project cost was brought to €752 million

Yes but it took way longer than it was supposed to so you have to allow for inflation. :)

Sure i worked fitting out the controll building, i was getting paid for weekends i didnt even work on.

The Glass windows coving the Controll room cost 18k each.

They broke 1 of them 3 times while i was there.

I built big fancy curved ceilings in there and my company charged a fortune for them.

If a tunnell ever happened, i'll bet our half will cost more , take longer and end up being too low.;)

Yes, €450 million was the original construction estimate, which didn't include land acquisition, legal costs or financing. €750 million was the original estimate of how much the whole package would cost.

where would you locate it?

under da sea
    darling it's better down where it's wetter - take it from me!

Why think so small? Why not a tunnel to New York? Or an escalator to the moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why think so small? Why not a tunnel to New York? Or an escalator to the moon?

A tunnel to New York? Do you really want to give America an excuse to call us the 51st State, it's bad enough most Americans think we're part of Great Britain.

An esculator to the moon? Why would you want to go to the moon, it'd be like going to Leitrim for the Weekend........Boring. I'm sorry to the Leitrim Boardsies for that comment

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    An esculator to the moon? Why would you want to go to the moon, it'd be like going to Leitrim for the Weekend........Boring. I'm sorry to the Leitrim Boardsies for that comment

No, an escalator does not require Boring. a Tunnel however does.:D
    A Tunnel to NY would be the biggest Boring project ever.:D

Advertisement