Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so backward?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kerash wrote: »
    I presume because traditionally there were more stairs than escalators in Ireland and we never learned the 'stand to the side' etiquette.

you'd think that since we were so used to having to walk on stairs we'd have to get used to standing on them and would normally walk anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

queen-mise wrote: »
    I slag one of my friends constantly about this & it drives her mad. She is a vehement republican.

If she is a vehement republican she understands that FF and FG are the same. OTT.
    the point of escalators is to save energy. whether i stand on them or walk i save energy because if i walk, i have to take far fewer steps than if the steps weren't moving......no?

So we are wasting electricity so that you can save your own energy just for a few extra steps, bit of a waste of money IMO.

Elmo wrote: »
    So we are wasting electricity so that you can save your own energy just for a few extra steps, bit of a waste of money IMO.

is that not exactly the same for the people who aren't walking? they just save a few more steps :confused:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    is that not exactly the same for the people who aren't walking. they just save a few more steps :confused:

No because they are using them correctly IMO :) by not walking :)

No because they are using them correctly IMO :) by not walking :)

so on a 100 step escalator they save 100 steps and i save 50. saving fewer steps to get there faster does not count as incorrect use of an escalator, we're both using the fact that the steps are moving to save energy. i just save slightly less energy because i trade it off against getting there faster.

i don't really know how else to explain it tbh. can someone else agree with me here that walking up an escalator does not make them pointless because you still save energy?

for example, the escalator at my metro station, the one that's 100 metres long. i walk up it every day and never have a problem but it's been broken once or twice and i've been fcuking dying by the time i got to the top. do you not understand why that might be :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

so on a 100 step escalator they save 100 steps and i save 50. saving fewer steps to get there faster does not count as incorrect use of an escalator, we're both using the fact that the steps are moving to save energy. i just save slightly less energy because i trade it off against getting there faster.

i don't really know how else to explain it tbh. can someone else agree with me here that walking up an escalator does not make them pointless because you still save energy?

for example, the escalator at my metro station, the one that's 100 metres long. i walk up it every day and never have a problem but it's been broken once or twice and i've been fcuking dying by the time i got to the top. do you not understand why that might be :confused:
    Nobody is going to agree with you Vimes. You're out of your depth here.

Why walk up a perfectly good moving stair case? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

A lighthearted uneducated somewhat immature response, but here goes.....

There is a BIFFO in charge:eek:

There are no 100 step escalators in Ireland that I know of. And I don't think you would actually save 50 steps on a 100 step escalator, escalators don't travel that fast. You might save 20 walking and perhaps 30 running but then it would really depend on your speed.

There are no 100 step escalators in Ireland that I know of. And I don't think you would actually save 50 steps on a 100 step escalator, escalators don't travel that fast. You might save 20 walking and perhaps 30 running but then it would really depend on your speed.

Regardless of the exact number of steps you save, you still save meaning that walking on escalators doesn't make them pointless.....no?

I agree with people getting the feck out of my way.
    I will run down an escalator if I'm rushing somewhere.
    I disagree with walking up escalators. Seems like a waste of energy :D

And will you two stop arguing over the number of steps on escalators!

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    I agree with people getting the feck out of my way.
    I will run down an escalator if I'm rushing somewhere.
    I disagree with walking up escalators. Seems like a waste of energy :D

And will you two stop arguing over the number of steps on escalators!

You're not a mod of this forum. Away with you!

The rules of escalators

Number of steps -v- action

1 - who cares
    10 - who cares
    50 - who cares
    100 - who cares
    200+ who cares ?

BUt if I'm trying to get past then get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ther's twice as many steps on every escalator as u might think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

You will find if you are 6ft 3 and blue eyed you can walk on any side of the escalator you like in Germanic countries. However your short far-eastern wife is likely to be shoved for standing on the wrong side,

Fionnanc wrote: »
    You will find if you are 6ft 3 and blue eyed you can walk on any side of the escalator you like in Germanic countries. However your short far-eastern wife is likely to be shoved for standing on the wrong side,

That's not all that's likely to happen

How do you think the whole thing started? They get as pissed off as i do :p

Fionnanc wrote: »
    6ft 3 and blue eyed you can walk on any side of the escalator you like

Yes but a 6ft 3 person would be able to climb up the escalator at a faster pace hence not only does they escalator save the number of step but so to does the persons height. For example an escalator is no use to a 5foot person as it doesn't not save them any time either walking or standing still :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

you'd think that since we were so used to having to walk on stairs we'd have to get used to standing on them and would normally walk anyway :P
    You have to take into account the novelty factor.
    tbh I'm not familiar with escalators internationally and on the occasion that I use the escalator in Ireland I automatically walk, and then I think - hey! the stairs is moving! 9 times out of 10 I'll keep walking... Unless there are people in front of me not walking;)
    but if I'm tired/unhurried, I stand there and enjoy the view.
    The trouble only starts when some a-hole tries to walk over you as if it were a race. It doesn't take much to say excuse me/may I pass...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i was also on a train on the way from germany to denmark where the train drove down to the dock and onto a ferry them drove off again when we reached denmark. I was gobsmacked
    having no tide helps
    you'd need a train to get to the water at low tide on Dollymount Strand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Dord wrote: »
    I usually walk down the left, if people are in my way I'll say "excuse me"... cue funny looks from people.
    Apparently you're supposed to say "sorry" :rolleyes: No idea what I'm supposed to be sorry for! :D

Such an Irish thing, saying excuse me is looked at as quite rude, when infact its the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mahogany wrote: »
    Such an Irish thing, saying excuse me is looked at as quite rude, when infact its the opposite!

ZOMBIE THREAD!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK8AsYZv6ULcJ-ZL-TIQdhNaSHo-m74nJnadknxtLvEoBd5xTN

• Advertisement
Advertisement